[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sailboat buying advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: sailboat.jpg (35KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
sailboat.jpg
35KB, 800x600px
Hey /out/ I'm probably going to get a used sailboat, and I was wondering if there is anything I should look for before buying.

It's probably going to be about 20 - 25 feet, and will have a cabin for people to sleep.

I was wondering what faults, or defects I need to look out for, and if I can talk a seller down, or should leave it alone, depending on the problem.

Pic related is basically what I'm looking at, a few models are on craigslist from the 70's where I live.
>>
>>854288
Make sure the engine is solid. I if it fails or doesn't start when you need it you're funked and adrift. Use quality line not shit from Walmart. Keep a spare anchor as they can snag on the bottom and you have to cut it loose. I boats that die with a retractable keel are good so that you can go in shallow water
>>
File: Good Job.jpg (31KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
Good Job.jpg
31KB, 620x372px
>>854301
Thanks m80, I'll write this down before me and my cousin go check it out.
>>
make sure to check every corner and crack. Make sure you either know how to fix it or get a person to value the price of to fix it. Make sure to check the ropes, chains, sails, and everything else is up to date and aokay. Last thing you want is to buy a piece of shit.
Ps: add some salty hoes to that boat and say ARR alot. Yarr. -Salty Pirate Out Yarr ar.
>>
>>854288
A good start is to many sure there are no holes in it.
>>
File: trashman pepe.jpg (31KB, 498x668px) Image search: [Google]
trashman pepe.jpg
31KB, 498x668px
>>854311
>>854312
Alright thanks laddies
>>
If you have to ask, you have no business buying it.

You're ether going to
>spend a shitload on maintenance
>leave it derelict
>sell it to another rube

Sailing is a great hobby, but you should really hold off on buying a boat. There's plenty of boat owners desperate for crew and help with cleaning who will let you sail with them.
>>
>>854288
Just FYI I had a Hunter 260 (26 feet) and it slept about 3 people implying that 2 of the 3 slept in the same queen-sized bunk.
>>
>>854288

The trailer is almost as important as the boat. Especially for a 20+ foot boat. Also those older sailboats are heavier, you're going to need a serious truck to tow it. Have you factored these two things into your budget?
>>
>>854331
Hate to say it op, but this dude is right on. If you're asking these questions, you don't have enough sailing experience to know what the hell to look for.

Crewing on other boats and sailing a dhingy(optimists are gucci) for a few months will help.
>>
take a boat surveyor with you
that's literally what they are for
>>
>>854413
>>854331
Alright, I'll see if there are any people who would be willing to help me out with that. I know a guy who works up in Alaska on a fishing boat, but that's about it.
>>
>>854413
>>854331
Aye, I found a lake about an hour from where I live with a sailing association that will hook people up with a crew. Much appreciated.
>>
>>854288
When you decide you need to cruise these can be had for under 20k used and will take you safely most anywhere you'd wish to go.
http://bluewaterboats.org/flicka-20/
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.