[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have any of you ever been on a survival situation? Any people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

Have any of you ever been on a survival situation? Any people from SAR here to tell stories?
>>
>no answers
Wtf I hate /out/ now.
>>
File: 1457290181928.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1457290181928.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>854180
>8-10ft Hawaiian at Waimea Bay
>people body surfing and boogie boarding the shore break
>people outside surfing Waimea
>lifeguards are busy as fuck yelling at people who are inexperienced to stay out of the water
>be body surfing about 400m east of the jump rock
>waiting for sets to roll in, having a blast
>current close to the jump rock is ripping pretty fast to the outside of the bay toward Uppers
>some kid/dude pulls into one and snaps his leash
>he's too close to the jump rock
>gets pulled outside of the shorebreak/recovery zone
>he's trying to fight it but that's you're-going-to-tire-out-and-drown-you-stupid-faggot 101 tier reaction
>his lack of progress toward the beach was indicative of him tiring out and/or not having fins
>my roommate and I spot him
>we swim for him
>we catch up, eventually calm him down and tell him to just float it out with us
>we simply float, tread water and let the current take us super far outside
>no fucks given, we know the lifeguards saw us
>eventually get picked up about 20 minutes later with jet skis by search and rescue
>feelsgoodman.jpg for not leaving that kid alone, he was panicking pretty hard
>>
>>854926
You dun good saving someone's life
>>
>>854180
I pushed my son into the water joking around and an alligator attacked and drowned him..
>>
File: 1422939813501.jpg (51KB, 446x400px) Image search: [Google]
1422939813501.jpg
51KB, 446x400px
>>854964
kek
>>
>>854180
>be on ALPAT, 91 or 92
>SOS come in, cuts off
>EPIRB activation reported
>launch helo, light off the turbines. Gotta go fast
>helo picks up 1 survivor (out of crew of 4)

He was the only one who got all the way into his immersion suit before going in the water. He got to watch his captain die from hypothermia because he couldn't get his suit zipped up before his hands lost function. The Bering Sea is a motherfucker.

Another time, about a decade earlier-

>half day out of Christchurch, making turns for McMurdo
>RNZAF P-3 does a low flyby, dropping flares, 1 engine visibly feathered
>turns out they're vectoring us toward a capsized racing catamaran
>come about, launch helo
>boat crew were trapped inside hull, hacked their way out with hatchet
>helo picked them off the bottom of their boat, where they were brewing tea because the only other things they dragged out of the hull were a camp stove and a tea set
>tripled lookouts, searched for the boat for 4 hours because hazard to navigation
>no luck, back to Christchurch to drop the survivors.

I have a few others, they're just as exciting.
>>
One time I ran out of water during breakfast while backpacking. It was only like 3.5 miles out to my truck where I had Pedialyte waiting for me in a cooler so it wasn't even dangerous but that's about as close as I've gotten
>>
anyone from CAP here?
>>
I once ate Mexican food and then went to Disney World.
>>
Kinda been in one, but I don't think it counts

>on six day hike
>end of day two realize I'm fucking lost
>this is bad because I was going to restock on day 4
>can't be that lost, Wisconsin isn't that big
>wander around some trying get unlisted
>get more lost
>decide its time to stop moving
>set up camp on a small river
>sit there for 5 days eating crawdads until fisherman shows up
>too proud admit I'm lost
>ask him point me to the road
>walk 5ish miles to road
>follow road to truck
>go home tell everyone I had such a good time I decided stay a little extra

Everything went better than I thought.
>>
SAR here:

> Get a call-out that there is a lost and cold couple in the Columbia river gorge.

> One of the teams gets to the said couple

> They were wet, cold, (almost had hypothermia)

> Team that notices a burning smell and a pile of burnt clothes

> MFW team learned that the couple had lit their only warm and dry clothes on fire to keep them warm.

That has been years since, SAR team still jokes about it til this day.

> Get a call out Columbia river gorge.

> hiker that caught in the dark and didn't have a flashlight

> Find subject, mfw the subject thought his crapple phone has a good flashlight built in.

Another

> Get a call out, Columbia river gorge.
> Hiker, wet, cold, tired and scared
> whatever
> Go fetch said subject
> Find subject near trailhead, 200 feet off trail.
> Hiker wearing Arc'terx jacket that ripped from some rhododendrons, denim jeans, 5.11 multicam pack, trail runners, cotton socks.
> mfw realize subject had 5 pairs of Fjallraven pants, 10 different knives, a cheap knock-off version of a glock, jar of urine and some weed in his pack
> wtf.jpg
> Subject said his first time /out/ and got all his advice from this hacker named 4chan.
>>
>>854984
So much fucking useless jargon for the story... we get it, you know letters and shit.
>>
>>856203
If you don't know what SOS and EPIRB mean, you should probably stay indoors.
>>
File: whaaaat.png (197KB, 475x365px) Image search: [Google]
whaaaat.png
197KB, 475x365px
>>855930
>> MFW team learned that the couple had lit their only warm and dry clothes on fire to keep them warm.
SAR should know that it's common to find hypothermia victims in states of undress.
>>
>>856260
I don't think they were hypothermic yet, just really fucking stupid.
>>
>>856260
Thats whem the has given up and releases the warm blood from your brains and organs. When the warm blood reaches the extremeties people get warm and tales of their clothes. They dont start burning their clothes because they acually feel warm by then
>>
Well, im from kentucky so i been lost countless times i lost count how many times i walked for days because i just didnt know where i was
>>
>>854180
Not SAR, but a couple years ago at a summer camp I worked at we had a lost kid. We had mobilized the whole camp to search for him. Presented below in a shitty attempt at green text

>Be me
>5th year on staff, area director with a radio
>Don't have any afternoon class to teach so take a nap
>Have my radio on to listen to gossip
>Horse Staff and Rangers are tracking a mt lion.
>"We're on the ridge line"
>"We have 2200 acres of ridge line. You're going to be more specific"
>Huge Mt Lion problem that year
>Forest Service had granted ranger permission to kill it if necessary
>Chatter dies down. Radio silent for around 10 minutes
>New conversation starts up
>"Anyone seen A"
We have a group of Egytpian Sea Scouts that week. A is one of the scout's 10 year old little brother. Mature for his age and actually pretty cool for a 10 year old. Great kid
>"He's not at the lodge"
>"He's not in BH Dining Hall"
>"He's not in the TC"
>"W Trail is clear, he's not there"
>Sit there listening.
>Realize it's been a half hour and they haven't found him yet.
>Mt Lion is still out there
>They're going to have to sound the alarm
>As soon as I think that alarm sounds
>Fuucccckkk
> I just wanted to relax in my bunk
>Get out of bed and line up in assembly area.
>Observe the oh shit looks of 300+ campers who have no idea why the alarm has sounded
>Management goes up and explains we lost a scout.
>Split entire camp into search parties
>Me and my assistant assigned to search natural climbing site since I'm a climbing director
>Area is clear.
>Instructed to remain at the site to serve as look out and radio relay
>Translation: I don't got to do shit and can relax
>Chill at the natural site while everyone else has to scramble to find the kid before the mt lion does

Eventually they found the kid halfway up a hillside from the road hiding behind some brush. Dehydrated but otherwise fine. They found him 15 minutes before they would have called SAR.
>>
>>854926
Good job
>>
>>855047
Fucking madman
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.