[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/boot/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 36

File: dfghs.png (1MB, 1265x900px) Image search: [Google]
dfghs.png
1MB, 1265x900px
Old one died >>816242 , shall we make this an established general?

Post/discuss/recommend... your favourite /out/ footwear: boots, trail runners, whatever
>>
File: 20150323-DSC_0194.jpg (3MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20150323-DSC_0194.jpg
3MB, 2880x2160px
>>853935
i use the Hanwag Alaska GTX. they're quite sturdy, but pretty heavy
>>
How long has anyone kept one single pair of boots?
The ones I wear everyday are going on nine years old and still have some life in them
Not quite as waterproof as they used to be but still
>>
File: shoes.jpg (2MB, 5984x3366px) Image search: [Google]
shoes.jpg
2MB, 5984x3366px
Hanwag Nazcat GTX, La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX and La Sportiva Bushido
Got the Hanwags not a long time ago and use them for anything that doesn't involve difficult terrain such as via ferratas. They're incredibly comfortable since day one
>>
File: lowa.png (154KB, 450x444px) Image search: [Google]
lowa.png
154KB, 450x444px
Got Lowa renegade gtx mid's - really liking them so far.
>>
>>854570
How are the laces? My Lowas love to come untied.
>>
At what point do hiking boots become necesary over trail runners? I've generally done overnights or up to 12mile day hikes in trail runners and havent felt like I needed boots. Is it more of an insulation thing?
>>
>>854626
Trail runners don't give you the same protection and stability, especially anywhere off trail or when hiking with a heavy backpack. Weather protection is also unmatched, even if they have a gore-tex membrane. Most trail runners are also not built to last a very long time, I usually go through 1 pair every season, but that has probably to do with the very sharp limestone in my area.
>>
>>853944
+1 for Bushidos
>>
File: Buty_Zephyr_Grom_Mid_Z006.jpg (130KB, 1024x800px) Image search: [Google]
Buty_Zephyr_Grom_Mid_Z006.jpg
130KB, 1024x800px
Got some of these, zephyr grom z006

Comfy as hell, could spend all day in then no problem. Oil/chem proof, slip proof, waterproof

They'll be too heavy for summer though
>>
trail runners are the only way for serious hikers. Pic related, coming with me on my Appalachian trail thru hike. If you're going out for 2-3 days sure, I guess boots would be okay, even then I would take trail runners, even in snow. You don't need the support they offer when you go ultralight. You want something that dries out quickly when they get soaked, your water proof boots will get soaked too hiking every day, and will take ages to dry out. Hiking in snow isn't a problem for me, I throw on my gore tex socks on top of my darn toughs and sock liners, my feet stay dry, yet a bit cold sometimes.
>>
>>854797
mother fucker
>>
>>854797
dunno about you cunt but where i'm from we can't afford to have poofta shit like that on our feet.
What if you're 6 days into your hike and the entire fukken atlantic ocean decides to rain right onto ya.
Trail's gone to shit, full of fukken mud and crap, your shit is gonna be soaked through and full of mud while you still have 15 kays to a campable site before you can deal with your trench foot.
Then you step on a snake and the fukker bites you on the foot. He'll go straight through your poofy little joggers, but he'll get stuck on my beaut leather boots, at which point I can vinyard-stomp the cunt's head in and eat him. Without dying from venom of course, unlike you.

Whatever. Enjoy your low-energy ultra-light slippers mate.
>>
File: 2014-11-23_15-01-51.jpg (498KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-23_15-01-51.jpg
498KB, 1200x800px
>>854807
>>854797
Yeah it's definitely a climate/weather thing.
Your runners will NOT dry out, even overnight, for a guaranteed 6 months per year + then some here in Western Yurop
>>
>>854797
>trail runners are the only way for serious hikers.
There is no "only way" that applies to everyone everywhere, which you'd know if you really were a serious hiker.

Besides what others have said, runners wear out too fast if you actually walk a lot, and it gets expensive to keep replacing them. A decent pair of boots costs more up front but should last a lot longer.
>>
has anyone else noticed that the trail-runner people tend to be really smug

I would be willing to bet money there is an appreciable portion of people who argue for trail-runners who like them only because they perceive them as new and progressive
>>
>Hiking boot vs trail runner?

Why not the best of both worlds. As I said last thread, the La Sportiva Primer/Synthesis/Core won pretty much every award a hiking shoe/boot could and for good reason. They make conventional hiking boots look as archaic as old fashion military boots.
>>
>>855212
I think it's the trail runner guy, and I think he's either a teenager or still in his early 20s post-adolescent know-it-all phase.
>>
Anyone have experience with Danner boots? Interested in the Sharptail or Grouse, want a multi-purpose boot, mostly hunting and hiking.
How well do they stack up?
>>
>>855622
Or even the Mt Adams
Can someone with good boot knowledge walk me through the differences in design with a hunting vs hiking boot?
>>
File: 14736461802421543106286.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
14736461802421543106286.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
The only fucking boots to own Irish setter 600 gram I've walked miles upon miles looking for elk in swamps,hills ,mountains,rivers,moss and all sorts of other stuff. They do what they promise and then some. One of my best purchases
>>
>>853935
The new Altitude Vs feel like shit can anyone confirm if they still feel like shit after a few months straight of wear?
>>
what faggot still wears boots? Trail runners are the best for every situation. Thru hiker here, I know what i'm talking about. Step aside amateur hiking boot fags
>>
>>855666
I like the feel of pressure on my body, lower portions of my feet and tibiae are no exception. Methinks my ADHD was a misdiagnosis.
>>
Common guys it's current year, who the fuck still wears boots? I bet you're all binary gender or a fucking white male too.
>>
>>853935
as pretentious as the trail runner crowd is, they are honestly right.
>>
>>855707
I disagree, the only way you can keep your feet dry in trail runner shoes is to have ankle socks, which are incredibly faggy. Given homosexuality is morally wrong, and the fagginess of ankle socks, how can trail runners be right? They are literally wearing foot fedoras and should all be gassed.
>>
>>855741
>ankle socks, which are incredibly faggy
You sound like a faggot. Ankle socks are /fa/ as they come.
>>
>>855707
On gravel paths maybe, but not for actual hiking.
>>
I went with a mid hiking shoe when I got some out footwear. I don't really go off trail much so I didn't go for something more rugged. The pluses are better ankle support than a trail runner and not a vast difference in weight. I had looked at salomons as I have narrow feet but the sole is way too inflexible (but great grip actually). La sportivas felt nice but were a little expensive and felt like they might not last. I ended up with these north face ones because they were cheap but they have the best balance actually from the ones I looked at.
>>
File: jungleboot.png (109KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
jungleboot.png
109KB, 400x400px
Anyone have experience with Nike SFB?

I'm thinking about getting a pair of the Nike SFB Jungle boots: http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/sfb-jungle-mens-boot/pid-10196355/pgid-11450553

I prefer how they look and they seem lighter than all the other boots posted here. Plus Nike has a great return policy, but want to see if anyone has any input before I buy them.
>>
>>856502
why tf would you buy a military boot? especially the nike SFB, a boot designed to be as least like a military boot as possible and still meet bullshit army regulation

Like nearly everyone else in the army, I have owned a pair. Its great if you have to wear a military boot because its lighter than all the others out there. When we went overseas and the uniform regulations relaxed, we wore merrell moabs and such. Don't be that guy.
>>
Bought a pair of Salomon Quest GTX at half the price, 70 euros.

Did i do well ?
>>
>>855213
Are they warm at all? I do more camping in colder months than warmer months because reasons.
>>
>>856525
Merrell Moabs look stupid and so does just about everything else in this thread.

Perhaps I'm too concerned with form over function, but that is just the way it is and I'm looking for a compromise.
>>
>>856552
Kill yourself right now my friend
>>
>>856580
Considering that you're ex-military, I thought that was your job
>>
File: fullretard.jpg (1MB, 3000x3942px) Image search: [Google]
fullretard.jpg
1MB, 3000x3942px
>>856552
>>>/fa/
get fucked shia
>>
>>856656
>american
>with an anti America shirt
fucking traitor
>>
>>856668
I think it's more for the anti-black sentiment
>the negro is indolent and lazy, prefering to spend his money on frivolities something something can't remember the quote
>>
>>856668
Isn't he Arab or something
>>
>>854799
Trail Blazers are for going up the four mile hiking path to the peak or jogging on dirt roads.

They are shit for everything else. They have terrible traction and are useless in spelunking, rock climbing, and even for walking down steep grassy slopes.
>>
>>856656
I worked at value village in shoes and once a pair of these came in. way too big for me but I tried them and these are super comfy. Also protip, you can find virtually unused women's hiking boots at value village for sub $20. We had merrels up the ass that had not even been used once. So if you got a gf or wife and need hiking shoes for cheap I'd check that out. Men's I wouldn't bother though. Men keep shoes til they disintegrate and they were almost always ratty.
>>
>>856614
harsh m8
>>
File: LTBRNSND.jpg (167KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
LTBRNSND.jpg
167KB, 900x900px
>>856702
some are very comfy, but no need for 8" high boots except uniform regs, I wore Keens overseas and pic related during the winter
>>
>>853935
I got a pair of WP xacomp7s

doing great so far.
>>
Really like my pair of Salomon GTX Quest 4D 2. Used them since December, and has been really nice to hike with.
>>
I just have a shitty pair of dickies work boots. Bought them for 50$ and they have worked for years of hiking through swamps in central Florida.

They keep my feet dry and give me ankle support.
>>
>>856552
I used to think that about hiking boots too. You get used to looking at them.
And, also, if you're actually going /out/ with something you don't apply /fa/ rules to it.

Consider that military men usually ditch their issue boots as soon as they can.
>>
>>856552
If you want a less autistic looking hiking boot, get Danners. look at the JAG.

>Perhaps I'm too concerned with form over function
At least you admit. Are you buying these for /out/ or for everyday wear? If youre buying them for /out/ the only people judging you are also going to out, and their going to think youre a retard for not wearing actual hiking boots.
>>
>>853935
>>853937
>>853944
>>854570
Wagner brothers shoes stronk
>>
>>857146
They're related adidas/Puma style?
Just know pretty much all of our manufacturers are Bavarian which makes sense considering the Alps
>>
Exactly, Lorenz Wagner (LOWA) and Hans Wagner (Hanwag). They're also under the same company like Fjällräven, Fenix Outdoor AG.
>>
Hey /out/ retard here, need boots for hiking, what should I get?
>>
>>858381

Whatever you can afford and fits your feet.
>>
>>854626
Have gone through the cycle of using
Boots>learned about trail runners and used them exclusively>now using boots on some trips again.

Personally it's usually the weather that encourages me to go for the boots.
Lots of (fresh) snow? ankle deep mud? expecting 3/4 of the time to be raining?
Go for boots.
otherwise it's the trail runners.

Terrain matters when planning to do some significant amount of off trail hiking.
Usually it's the vegetation that matters, if it's thick and thorny and you have to literally bush whack to get through then boots.

Or rugged terrain I'd rather have the flexibility and nimbleness trail runners allow over boots.

That's for me.
>>
>>856502
They are great for doing bullshit military things, but I don't see any point if you don't have to wear ar670-1 bullshit
>>
>>858381
fuck yeh straight up 180 and 360's aussie pride way to do burnouts on a small narrow street and a perfect location fuck the neighbors its australia we have the right to do this shit its a free country and a perfect time and nice control love it aussie style good on ya mate

Nah but srs, there's no brand that we can reccomend. You need to be able to try it on in person (DON'T BUY ONLINE), and make certain it fits well. Usually some leather ones may squeak and be rough on your heel, that'll stop after breaking them in.
Also, you'll need to break in whatever you buy. I usually wear them all day around the house for 1-2 days and then I can use them for some shorter hikes (not overnight til you've had more experience with them).

As to what material and style to get, that depends on what you need them for. Where I live, it can really piss down and there's many trails with heaps of tree cover, meaning mud and soggy shit. So I got waterproof leather boots and made sure that there's no mesh on the sides for water ingress. If you're in dry hot conditions then you would want something lighter and more breathable.
>>
>>854797
You would have little fun with those things in mid to western Europe. Where I live you have 6-9 months of mostly cold and wet weather the forests are always really muddy, we don't have well maintained trails, there are rocks everywhere and after hiking for just one or two hours you would wish you had boots.
>>
File: VQ-07804-1-pdp.jpg (28KB, 555x400px) Image search: [Google]
VQ-07804-1-pdp.jpg
28KB, 555x400px
I use the Snowburban UltraDry Boot. I love it. It's insulated, waterproof, and just works. Only problem I have with it when winter camping is that it freeze's solid when my feet aren't in it and moving because the sweat I get from these boots freeze.
>>
File: IMG_20160130_151758.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160130_151758.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>859568
I love mine.
>>
Anyone know of a high quality work boot? preferably waterproof.
>>
>>859608
Sportsman's Guide or Walmart.
>>
Grill here. My boyfriend wants to take me camping in the snow later this year and I've literally never seen snow in my life. I know I'm going to need a good pair of boots but I don't really know what to look for. Anyone have any recommendations for women's boots? Brand, features to look for, etc. anything will help
>>
What's a decent boot for a sandy hot climate that sees some rain? Budget of $50-~120, something preferably not Nike SFBs
>>
Are waterproof boots just meme tier? Seems pointless when your feet will be sweating all day anyway.
>>
>>860219
Not all of us live in a desert m8
Here, potential water from the outside >>> inside most of the year
>>
>>856552
damn not even /k/ would go for such B8 M8.

Moabs are comfy.
>>
>>856552
... Dude.

Moab ventilators are the single best pair of /out/ hiking shoes I've ever owned. If I need waterproof, I wear Klim Transition boots, but Moabs are so fucking comfortable for hiking or backpacking.
>>
Merrel Moabs - Yes I know pleb tear. But it's the only brand I could find that makes a true wide that fits my 4E+ feet.
>>
>>853937
Would these be any good as a 4 season boot even, for lets say, 30 celsius days but also for -10?
>>
>>853941
I have a 17 or 18 year old pair of Raichles that my dad got in the Air Force.
Did lots of ruck marches in them.
I grew into them and he let me keep them.
Still 100% on comfort and condition.
>>
File: VQ-07434-1-pdp.jpg (38KB, 555x400px) Image search: [Google]
VQ-07434-1-pdp.jpg
38KB, 555x400px
>>859568

have you (or anyone ITT) every tried out the Talus Trek Lows? I've been eyeing these for a bit, they look great for hiking and every day wear, but I've not been able to find any reviews and there are no local places that have them in stock to try on.
>>
Any people here have experience with Meindl?
Do they make good boots?
>>
>>860426
What sports stores are nearby? If any good ones like REI, Moosejaw, or the like will easily bring them in to let you try on free of charge (which get's rid of shipping) and then you can easily see if you want it. But anything from Vasque I trust.
>>
hey guys im a usual /k/ommie and found out i fucking love hiking but know shit for dicks about footwear for hiking.

anything to recommend for a poor mans waterproof hiking boot?
>>
>>860573
How poor are you?

Mid-length Merrel Moab Gore-Tex boots may not be 100% waterproof, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for a good budget boot.

For what it's worth, unless you hike real long trips, you should usually use a non-waterproof, very well-ventilated hiking shoe. They're much more comfortable if you're a weekender and can plan around the weather.

Really, everyone should own a pair of each.
>>
>>860580
well to me personally that's a little pricey but i also don't want to abuse my back, feet etc etc so i will definitely see if i afford them
>>
>>860587
Ok, if that's pricey, then your best bet is a good pair of boots secondhand. Check out thrift stores and Craigslist, etc. No joke, there are some great deals out there on really good boots if you have a little patience.
>>
>>860591
alright, thank you anon,

i was looking at these but i have no idea if the company is good or not

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003C44F7A/ref=twister_dp_update?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>860580
It much depends on local climate and terrain you're going through
Desert and/or asphalted trails only? Might as well use regular runners
Moist and cool temperate, off-trail and tall wet grass? Better have waterproof boots
>>
>>860593
Timberland is a good quality manufacturer, but I personally wouldn't buy them for hiking footwear - they're comparatively very heavy. Now, I'm not sure about this model in particular, but I've owned several pairs of timberlands, and even the ones that were designed to be hiking boots were quite heavy. Leather maintenance can also be a pain.

>>860596
This anon is absolutely right, too. I'm just speaking from my own hiking experiences, mostly in the Northeast and mid-Atlantic.
>>
>>860489
I hope youre not acc this new, but theyre the best in the world imo
>>
I've had a pair of Merrell Refuge Cores for 5 years now, and they're running on fumes right now. The only problem is it seems that they stopped producing them. Anyone own a pair that moved on to some thing else? My feet are completely flat so I need arches that aren't too agressive.
>>
File: 390.jpg (64KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
390.jpg
64KB, 1001x1001px
I use Belleville 390's mainly because they are good general purpose boot. Any recommendations for a civie equivalent that can be resoled?

>>860605
In my experience Timberlands are shit.Purely a fashion brand now. Especially whatever they consider hiking footwear. I got a pair of Timberland Flume's. The things were boiling hot, even in winter, and the tread wears down ridiculously quickly. At least they were waterproof.
>>
>>856502
I've heard they are only good for garrison, do anything difficult with them and they fall apart.
>>
File: IMG_2538.jpg (4MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2538.jpg
4MB, 4320x3240px
Hi all, newbie question about boots...

I am finding the back of my boots rub along the heel up the back of the foot/Achilles, noticeably red but not blistered. Boots getting on a bit but haven't been worn for a year, was wearing thick wool socks moderately uphill track for only an hour or so before starting to hurt.

Pic are very similar to what I have, older hanwags.

Am I lacing too tight/loose?, socks too thick/thin? should I strap my heels? are my boots just plain shit? any info greatly appreciated. Cheers
>>
>>861629
Are you still breaking them in? in my experience the heel where the Achilles is, is always a hotspot when I'm breaking in boots. I just put some duct tape over the area until I don't. I also lace my boots as tight as possible to stretch and mold it to my foot, as long as it doesn't cut circulation.
>>
>>854807
>Spot the Australian: Easy mode

Columbia's for wet, humid weather and Keens/Salomons for anything else
>>
>>861632
I wore Keens for 3 months doing trail work and hiking in the back country before things dried out enough that I could wear my Columbia's, no blisters to be found.
>>
File: zgftgf.jpg (435KB, 1292x1043px) Image search: [Google]
zgftgf.jpg
435KB, 1292x1043px
>>861629
What >>861632 said, are you still in break-in phase?
When I did conscription, that area also hurt a lot after about a week, but another 1-2 weeks later the problems vanished. Before back then I had never worn boots, but then suddenly 16 hours a day, so it was too much of an abrupt change
I do have retarded protruding heels though which added to the problem
>>
>>861632
>>861637
The boots had been somewhat broken in before but I guess I am still breaking in my feet! I haven't been hiking in quite a while so that's probably it. Thanks guys
>>
>>861579
>In my experience Timberlands are shit.Purely a fashion brand now.
I've heard a lot of people say this, and I just have to say that you're buying the wrong models. The work boots are still good.
>>
>>861675
You talking about their pro line? Seems overbuilt for purposes of /out/ don't need steel toes or EH safety on the trail.
>>
>>861636
Not all boots are built the same. A lot of newer hiking boots today have little break in time due to materials or some type of "factory break in" phase in manufacturing. Also not all feet the same.
>>
Thinking about getting a pair of these not so much for hiking or camping but just general outdoors stuff and city commuting.
>>
>>861773
Swagnums are good but get them in tan, they wont scuff as easily and if theyre jist for commutong snd shit leather looks really gay. Jeans and tan boots look great
>>
>>861579
Most "concrete" sole attached boots can be resoled, maybe not the cheap and shit ones because they aren't stitched correctly i guess. If you know the guy you intend to take them to to get them resoled, show him a picture of the boot and ask him what he thinks
>>
>>860489
They make some top of the line boots, i don't know about their hiking stuff, but i have an old pair of second hand Meindl logging boots that i been using for about 3 1/2 years. Basically on par with Lowa and Hanwag except Meindl makes other purpose boots like logging
>>
I just bought these. Did I fall for a meme?

I was looking for a shoe that I could wear every day, while also having the option to go take a day hike / run after work if I wanted. They've been pretty comfy the first few hours, and I think the bungie system is a pretty cool idea. I'm slightly worried that the bungies will lose their tension over time.
>>
File: 1467891791661.jpg (134KB, 1300x867px) Image search: [Google]
1467891791661.jpg
134KB, 1300x867px
>>861836
forgot picture
>>
>>854570
heard these are rather unsupportive thinking of upgrading to these, opinions?
>>
>>861773
Magnum boots imo are quite shit. I have a pair of stealh force side zips and one of the worst boots I've had. cheap leather, sole wears out super fast and it's waterproof lining doesn't breathe worth a damn. Also as sole wears out, you'll start feeling your heels dig into the ground real bad as if you're just walking on them all the time.
>>
>>861913
True, magnums are shit tier. Mine we'rent breathable, not watwrproof after a few months, scuffed easy and the inner lining literally disintegrated. Altho they were viper pros, my mate has had realll good times with his spyder 8s - discontinued now
>>
Are Doc martens /out/ approved for light duty stuff? Been thinking of getting a pair for city and field, possibly with the commando sole but anyone have experience with the standard soled 1460's?
>>
File: Resized_20160923_171918.jpg (783KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Resized_20160923_171918.jpg
783KB, 1920x1440px
>>860596
>Why not have both.jpg
>>
I think I'm qualified to answer some questions here, but hit post a bit early the first time.
>>862493
>left to right
Montrail bajada out dry
Scarpa SL M3
Zamberlan Latemar NW
Montrail Mountain Masochist III Outdry
Zamberlan Airound GTX

Montrail is about the best trail runner I've encountered as far as durability. The waterproofing lasts longer and the soles/midsole tend to hold up longer. As some one from Michigan I wanted to like Merrell but after 2 pairs of moab's find they are just shit. The waterproofing barely lasts 2 weeks and the soles separate from the uppers.

On the boot side, I'm trying the zamberlan out due to scarpas quality going to dog shit. My delta m3's from 15 years ago are still wearable, although beat to hell. My sl actives from last year lasted barely 3 months.
>>
>>862559
As the quoted anon from the first post stated, they are good for different things. If you are moving fast under light load the runners are OK. If you are carrying almost anything, or plan on being outside for more time than it takes to run the western states... take boots.
>>
File: FQ0000102_LARGE.jpg (38KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
FQ0000102_LARGE.jpg
38KB, 440x440px
>>856502
They fall apart quickly in the field. Most of the high speed cool looking boots to do, same with the underarmor tactical boots. Don't buy military boots unless you have to because you're in the military.

Lowa Combat GTX boots an example of the top tier of "military boots"... because they're basically just regular Lowa hiking boots

Military boots typically are cheaper than regular hiking boots. I wore Rocky SV2's for a long time, only started falling apart recently after 2 year of regular abuse in all terrain (rocky, sand and swamp). They're a popular mid-range military boot because they're relatively light, dry fast, good tread and are pretty tough.
>>
File: 20160923_201338.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160923_201338.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>861637
You can also wear liner socks to reduce the friction in on you feet. Also calluses will help.
>>
>>861836
They don't loose tension over time, but they're not great for running. Hiking is fine though. They're awesome at that
>>
>>862642

Anyone here ever tried Redback boots? I'm a mechanic, and a common tool distributor sells them nationwide, I've heard good things. I know it's not a strictly /out/ question but I understand people wear them for /out/ reasons as much as people who work on their feet
>>
>>862735
I own a pair. Don't wear them anymore. This is not so much a fault of the boot but the posture. Bad posture meant I got ankle pain which I do not get in my lace-up boots.
>>
>>861836
I think Salomon sell lacing kits like that by themselves.
>>
File: 2524095-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg (56KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
2524095-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg
56KB, 480x360px
The boot to end all boots. Provided you do alpine stuff.
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 376x222px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 376x222px
>>861836
You didn't fall for a meme
I bought pic related and have been innawoods several times and they still look new. Comfy, sturdy, and extremely light
>>
I've only ever used boots before but i really would like to try out a pair of mesh running shoes (perhaps with a "rock plate" in the sole) and a pair of Gore Tex socks.

I see the only disadvantage being that of getting struck by a snake, where it would easily pass the shoe and sock whereas it get stopped by the leather on my boots.

I just like the idea of having a pair of shoe that if they get wet will dry out really fast, especially compared to my boots, yet having a water proof sock so feet stay dry (and warm?)

Though i haven't tried it out yet i do wonder if they will be just as good at keeping water in as out and my feet will get pruny really fast
>>
>>863154
dont go with waterproof socks - just accept your feet will get wet and go with a system that dries out quickly. if you need something for morning dew get a pair of gaiters that cover the entire upper

also stop stepping on snakes and maybe they wont bite you
>>
File: XA-Pro-3D-2.jpg (688KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
XA-Pro-3D-2.jpg
688KB, 1000x500px
Will my 210 + 30 lbs rekt salomon xa pros during a week-long backpacking? Maybe i should stick with boot?
>>
File: Salomon Men's Quest 4D 2.png (170KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
Salomon Men's Quest 4D 2.png
170KB, 380x380px
I currently use a pair of Salomon Men's Quest 4D 2 that I got for 90 bucks used at a garage sale. I'm hoping that after these wear-out I'll have the money to upgrade to Danner Jag, or I'll just garage sale for some new boots.
>>
>>862490
I wish they carried the 1490's in their for life run.

I don't think they are the best for outdoors, but they are comfy and stylish, any drawbacks for outdoors work are probably pretty minimal.
>>
>>854797>>854807>>855172
There is no "only way" as everyone hikes differently, but it is true that the majority of long distance hikers use trail runners. They DO dry out very quickly, overnight in some places. and regardless of how waterproof your boots are, if it rains hard for a few hours, your feet are likely to get wet.

Boots offer a lot more support, but not everyone needs that. I've got thick ankles, so I don't need full height boots, but my friend has weaker ankles and uses large boots. I hike around the white mountains with a lot of crag hopping, so it's not flat or easy.
>>
>>855744
Nah man. I mean, it depends on your ankles, some people have thinner/weaker ankles and beneift from boots, but most thru hikers use trail runners and go through the Whites which is rocky and not at all even.
>>
Can anyone recommend any black full-leather boots made from a material that can be polished to be shiny? I guess for these the rules apply: >>853937
As civilian I got quite used to a pair of Lowas that are absolutely perfect for my feet but unfortunately brown and matt. I have tried some Haix which most german soldiers wear but even they aren't as good as my Lowas. Until then, in service I'm stuck with pic related which are quite alright if you are a fucking masochist.
>>
>>866068
>They DO dry out very quickly
Yeah, wanna see that when it's winter, i.e. almost overcast, 5°C and 95% humidity. Sure, after a walk and placing them in your heated indoors overnight, but even that doesn't help if they're soaked after literally less than 2 minutes into a several hour walk, just from the constantly wet grass and muddy trails
>>
>>866088
Those are Haix too IIRC, and some people (not me) even prefer that 2000 model over the 2005 one
Also I assume they're too stiff for you 8yet)? Broken in enough? Lowas, Salomons, Moabs etc may fit more quickly and are softer from the beginning, but the downside is they'll also fall apart much more wuickly
>>
>>866114
Oh you are right, well of course I'm talking about the more expensive, high-tech looking Haix.
They aren't too stiff, I actually own 2 pairs and both are quite well worn already, I even did the Dodentocht march in Belgium with them (100km in 24hours) but no matter how I tie them, they will always feel too tight at some places and too loose on others, also they give me blisters which I never had with my Lowas.
>>
>>866120
Well foot shape plays a role too I guess (mine are rather borad), LOWAs were always rather narrow to me, while both the 2000 and '05 regular army ones sit well with me
>>
>>866074
It's not just terrain, it's walking through mud or shallow streams or vegetation (wet and it soaks you in 5 minutes, dry and you get twigs and burrs in your runners, at least I always did).

Plus, full leather boots cost more up front but they can last a lot longer too.
>>
>>853941

Mine are running 7 years now. Fucking awesome. Need to run them by a shoemaker though.
>>
File: holey-socks-520x346.jpg (36KB, 520x346px) Image search: [Google]
holey-socks-520x346.jpg
36KB, 520x346px
>>863154
>Gore Tex socks.

I don't have any personal experience with GoreTex socks but I'd think they'd wear out pretty fast and no longer be waterproof, due to the wear & tear of being socks.

Better plan would be GoreTex boots and regular socks.
>>
File: danner-mountain-light-ii-boot.jpg (21KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
danner-mountain-light-ii-boot.jpg
21KB, 480x480px
are these worth the money?
about $330 including shipping.
I have shitty ankles so support is a must.
>>
File: 389.png (193KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
389.png
193KB, 420x420px
>>868776
If you want actual ankle support get a boot that covers your entire ankle. Something like the Meindl Performance is probably want you need.
>>
what would you guys recommend for the upcoming colder months?

something that can deal with a bit of snow but still be a comfy makingmywaydowntown boot
>>
>>861864
too many stitches all over the boot just waiting to rip
>>
File: retrive_image.jpg (52KB, 470x421px) Image search: [Google]
retrive_image.jpg
52KB, 470x421px
Can't recommend Asolo boots enough. Italian made full leather with goretex lining.
>>
Not boot but kinda related
I'm looking to get a pair of trail runners (i already have hiking boots, want a lighter alternative), generally what are the features that i should be looking for in such a pair?
>>
File: IMG-20161003-WA0000.jpg (840KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161003-WA0000.jpg
840KB, 2448x3264px
Guys, i sent my friend's boot to get a New sole and the guy seamed the new sole into the leather, thus making hiles and the boot no longer Will be waterproof (like, not even setting your foot on a little pottle or water is allowed)

Só.. if i add petróleum Jelly plus beeswax Will it "close" the little holes of the seams? Thanks for any upcomming comment
>>
>>869518
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Trail-Running-Shoes-Reviews
>>
>>869557
No, those methods will not seal it permanently. Even if it did, it's only a temporary fix and water will eventually seep in.
Most shoe repairs use Barge rubber cement. Seals most soles. Apply it directly over the holes. Wipe off excess adhesive with rag.

Don't breathe it in or make skin contact, be careful because some people have allergic reactions to touching it, and lastly no fucking fire or sparks near it while it bonds, even the fumes are extremely flammable. The usual bond period is 5-10 mins.

Second Option: Five Star Cyanoacrylate super glue and the separate activator aerosol can.

Dab it on the hole and spray the activator on the dab. It bonds instantaneously.

Don't fucking breathe the fumes from the super glue. Absolutely do not breathe in the activator fumes. (A guy I knew did at work in a semi-enclosed space and within 20-30 seconds he was unconscious, had a concussion from bashing his head while falling)

The superglue when sprayed with the activator heats up to high temperatures and bonds instantly. Getting this on your hands will burn your hands. The bond is incredibly strong. (It tore off skin when removing it without thinning agents)
There are other warnings but these are the major ones.

If you want it done right, invest some money to doing it correctly with the correct materials that way you'll be able to do it again with other shoes.
>>
>>869676
thanks a lot for the tips mate! REally, thank you.

I was almost considering get this: https://gearjunkie.com/seam-seal-boots

(actually not exactly this, but an BR version of seam sealer for tents)

Although I liked the way you explained! So I'll heed your advice.

Now I only have to find out how I'll find any of these products here in Brazil..
>>
>>869676
by the way, the Glue must be pure Cyanoacrylate or can it be: ETHYL 2-cyanoacrylate? Pardon my ignorance, but this glue can be a simple Super bonder?
Thread posts: 142
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.