[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't you use trekking poles /out/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

Why don't you use trekking poles /out/?
>>
I do.

/thread
>>
>>853852
I do

Let's me use my upper arm strength to propel me forward or control my decent
>>
>>853852
I used to think they were gay. Then I gave them a try and I could suddenly descend mountains like Sanic on crack.
>>
>>853852
Call me a LARPer, but I make my own sticks from hazelnut. They work quite well, are more durable, but are a little heavier and can't be strapped to your backpack if you don't need them. I have 2 sticks prepared, but usually make them at the start of every trip
>>
I have no good argument not to use them.

Bearing that, I just feel that in the terrain where I need trekking poles, I'm probably better of going some easier route. Not that I don't need them. I'm a lightweight hiker, too much "respect" for heights and all, so.
>>
File: kimberly.jpg (407KB, 1600x1059px)
kimberly.jpg
407KB, 1600x1059px
I use them but mostly because I'm middle age so going down hill after twenty miles of hiking sucks for my knees if I don't have the poles. Wouldn't use them much on ascents but since I already have them with me, seems weird to just carry them around.
>>
Are there any good trekking pole tents? Or are they all more fiddly and less practical?
>>
>>853930
I use a Seek Outside Lil' Bug Out. Its very modular and light and sets up with a trekking pole plus a little extender piece. I have mine put together as two shelter halves but would like to get the middle tarp as well. Go look it up and youll see what Im talking about.

Its somewhat fiddly the first few times you set it up, but after that its fine and its quite stout in the weather.
>>
>>853852
I use them when snowshoeing, or if I am carrying a heavy pack they are useful for very steep or unstable terrain (scree/talus or creek/river crossing).

On flatter or more stable terrain they are not useful, and I generally do not take them if I am only doing a daytrip and don't have a heavy pack.
>>
>>853930
the SoLong 6 by Lightheart Gear is incredible. I'm taking it on my Appalachian Trail thru hike next year
>>
I use them, even on flat ground. I have a balance disorder, and I can actually move faster with poles. Especially over rocky terrain.
>>
>>853852
>poles
I only use one and switch sides. Two is too busy for me

inb4 backcountry parkour/ninja guy bitches about stabilizing muscles
>>
I've wanted to try them for a while, and they wouldve helped me on my last few, mainly just don't know which ones to get and shit.
>>
>>853942
I've finally decided on getting the Lil' Bug Out myself. Which poles specifically do you use?
>>
File: cl.png (108KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
cl.png
108KB, 228x221px
>>853996
>parkour/ninja
nah, i'm just not a bitchass faggot who needs crutches to get over uneven terrain. because i don't use crutches to get over uneven terrain, so i have developed the stability, strength, and balance to safely and quickly navigate everything* i've come across-scree, talus, mud, uphill, downhill, whatever.

but you pussies can keep relying on your crutches, and being crippled once you no longer have them in hand.

*exception is steep snow, but if i'm expecting that i carry an ice axe.
>>
File: IMG_2739.jpg (267KB, 1024x597px)
IMG_2739.jpg
267KB, 1024x597px
Used to be in the camp against them. Now I sometimes use them on descents when I'm carrying 40+ pounds to baby my knees if they're sore. I generally just use one though as I find it too distracting trying to use both at the pace I move at.

When I get old and slow I'll probably start using two.

Sharp tips only.
>>
File: hotchie.png (41KB, 305x306px) Image search: [Google]
hotchie.png
41KB, 305x306px
I find trekking poles effeminate and gratuitous. I wouldn't be caught dead with them, at least until I'm 50 or so.

And that's saying a lot coming from me, because I carry a shitton of 'tography and recording gear with me AND I happen to me a male who sleeps with other males.
>>
>>853852
because they're pretty fucking gay and shit. What kind of pussy, other than handicapped people, would use something like this to walk/hike?
>>
File: tmp_31490-images(27)-1520019596.jpg (12KB, 255x197px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_31490-images(27)-1520019596.jpg
12KB, 255x197px
>>854023
>not a bitchass faggot
>you pussies

Sure kid.
>>
File: index.jpg (5KB, 275x183px)
index.jpg
5KB, 275x183px
I use nature's trekking poles.
>>
File: yoho.jpg (945KB, 1536x2049px)
yoho.jpg
945KB, 1536x2049px
>>853852
I do nigga fite me
>>
>>854252
He posts this same shit in every trekking pole thread
>>
>>854222
checked.

If you are a man and you use trekking poles, you are most certainly a faggot.

>>854256
Sticks are acceptable
>>
>>854372
>being anything but indifferent
get a load of this faggot
>>
Because I am not elderly?
>>
>>854260
>dat tree line and snow line in the same shot
anon where is this pls
>>
>>854407
I am elderly and I don't use them.
>>
File: 589.gif (67KB, 300x259px)
589.gif
67KB, 300x259px
>>853994
>balance disorder
>>
I have just used my trekking poles for the first time and can confirm that poles are great. We actually had to remind us not to get too fast as our feet were the weakest part in the chain. We made 60 km in 3 days with each about 15-20kg on our backs with an average movement speed of 5kmh (backcountry of Iceland with 5 other Forces guys). The sticks made it a lot more comfortable. At first we were pretty embarassed to be seen with them but afterwards we would appreciate them. If you think sticks are gay just try them out. And they help your knees a lot.
>>
>>854851
>60km in 3 days

Lol in the marines we did 80km marches with 100lbs on our backs in a single day, every weekend

No goddamn trekking poles in the marines bud
>>
>>854959
>80km marches with 100lbs on our backs in a single day, every weekend
no, you didnt.
>>
I'm actually worried that if I fall they'll somehow complicate that fall and do more damage to me than if I didn't have them.

Otherwise, I've always been in good enough shape that I never felt the need for them except when snowshoeing.
>>
>>853852
cuz your mom treks my pole for me
>>
Because I can't justify spending money on something that I can see myself easily doing without.
>>
they just always seemed so unnecessary, if i go out hiking theres a pole/stick i can use literally every 2 meters
>>
>>854996
If I'm going on a well maintained trail, no I don't use them. If I'm going to be doing sidehilling, creek crossings or boulder hopping with a heavy pack they are nice to have.
>>
>>854959
>this kills the man
>>
So I have some cheap $30usd trekking poles a received as a gift a few years ago. I've used them about a half dozen times when my pack is about 30lbs. I've learned that I'm a fan of them, and my pack even has an external strapping system designed for holding trekking poles when not in use.

My question is what are some good options for upgrading my poles? Mine still work, but the looking system is a pain in the ass, as it's a telescoping system, and every few miles, the locks start to get loose, and I end up getting shorter and shorter poles after a while, and have to readjust them, which gets obnoxious.

Willing to shill out more money for superior quality, but I'm also a patient purchaser, and I'm willing to wait for good deals once I find the kind I want.
>>
>>853852
>Why don't you use trekking poles /out/?

They are made for flat land, that´s why you have two of them. If you are hiking in the mountains a single walkingstick is better.
>>
>>855775
I've got a pair of Leki poles that are pretty solid. I paid $80 for em.
>>
>>855775
>I end up getting shorter and shorter poles after a while
This is conjuring amusing mental images
>>
I have no logical argument against them other than I feel like a gigantic queerbucket when I use them, so I just tough it out without em. Just personal preference. I don't knock anyone that uses them
>>
>>857621
>worrying about how anonymous others perceive you
makes you a gigantic queerbucket
>>
>>854959
"be kind to your knees, you'll miss them once they're gone"
>>
Used them today after a successful high country deer hunt and packed the meat out. Pack was very heavy.

My knees would have exploded, would have fallen over multiple times and probably wouldn't have been able to make it up some super muddy and steep sections.
>>
>>858842
this anon speaks the truth. I'm 36 and in better shape than most for my age..or even a lot of guys in their 20s to be honest. Last year I fucked my knees so bad carrying a little too much weight on a rolling trail. I was worse than an old man in a nursing home shuffling around it was that bad by the time I finished. Better to be kind to your joints earlier when you're young, so you can maintain the pace when you're older. Going hard downhill is what fucks them in the end. You simply don't have the musculature to handle that sort of motion very well and so you bear a lot of it on the joint itself. Over time it gets worse. I prefer a simple walking stick I can just pick up and drop but I'm not going to judge anyone poorly for hiking smart with poles.
>>
I don't use them because I usually don't have a heavy backpack, and I'm not living in the mountains, sadly. It's pretty much flat here, there are some hills but there aren't steep or long, so I don't thing that trekking poles would be useful for me.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.