[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Jacket General/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 90

File: image.jpg (118KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118KB, 1000x1000px
Post /out/ jackets

Been eyeing this 5.11 Aggressor Parka pretty hard for regular winter use and /out/&about. Anyone got experience with this jacket?
>>
not another 5.11 jacket. Are these really that good or is there some kind of shill going on?
>>
>>853780
I don't know, I thought this jacket was already out for some time?

Certainly not trying to shill, tell me your worst. Just trying to justify the 270 dollar pricetag. Don't wanna buy something that turns out to be a piece of shit for that price
>>
>>853777
Is this any good ?
>inb4 fanboy

https://www.musterbrand.com/collections/metal-gear-solid/scout-jacket-280
>>
>>853777
I always go to goodwill during the beginning of the winter for dirt cheap jackets.... They're pretty good actually. A windbreaker is more important then a jacket in my opinion tho.
>>
Are Carharrt jackets still top tier quality?
>>
>>853945
If only it didn't look like a technocore trenchcore
>>
I usually wear hunting brands like Harkila or Swedteam.
Hunting stuff is usually practical, hardwearing and without inflated prices.
>>
>>853784
>just trying to justify the 270 dollar pricetag
>270 dollar pricetag
>$270
literally never unless you love throwing money away.
>>
>>853961
Yes
>>
File: 1348395201125.gif (116KB, 172x120px) Image search: [Google]
1348395201125.gif
116KB, 172x120px
>Fallen in love with a Fjallraven jacket
>gf really likes the brand, she's bought me one of their t-shirts before but I've explained everything else is a bit too expensive and you're paying for the brand
>still really like the jacket
>still can't justify £370 on a jacket
>>
File: timbs.png (484KB, 623x651px) Image search: [Google]
timbs.png
484KB, 623x651px
Looking for an outdoors waxed jacket I can wear for a couple years. Thinking of picking up from timberland, anyone know of any really quality brands? Jackets that can take some real abuse
>>
>>854558
Pointers chore coat
>>
>>854559
>Pointers chore
thanks!
>>
>>853777
Are there poor fags in this thread already? The description for that jacket couldn't be anymore try hard. Hey bruh, make sure your mil-surp hidden document pockets are up to spec.
>>
>>854563
I'd hardly call that 5.11 parka poorfag tier, or for that matter military surplus. It posses features that'd be mostly useless to most people yes, but in essence it's just a green parka.

That being said, I'm more of a Carhartt guy most of the time.
>>
>>854563
>Are there poor fags in this thread already?
yes, see here
>>854517
>>
>>854559
Good jacket as long as you don't need it to be warm
>>
File: 6991.jpg (57KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
6991.jpg
57KB, 480x640px
Dutch M58 jacket
Two layers of tightly woven cotton, best windbreaker I've ever had
>>
>>853961
>>854523
Never actually worn one. They look comfy as shit but heavy.
>>
File: ArcTeryx_atom_.jpg (43KB, 445x260px) Image search: [Google]
ArcTeryx_atom_.jpg
43KB, 445x260px
>>853777
goat
>>
>>854542
if its waxed, dont do it. doesnt work.

ive tried everything to properly waterproof it. it doesnt
>>
>>854740
That looks like shit desu senpai.
>>
>>854808

It's not even combat-proven heavy duty milspec
>>
>>854827
Actually... It sort of is. ArcTeryx is highly regarded by those who can afford it. It's definitely combat proven to say the least.
>>
>>854827
Sure fucciboi
>>
>>854832
Oh shit...just bought my fifth Arc'Teryx jacket today at REI; AMA.
>>
File: Snapchat-6093700745564112699.jpg (511KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-6093700745564112699.jpg
511KB, 1080x1920px
NordicTrack, I got it for free. Just found it one day in the foyer closet and used it ever since. Very warm and comfortable.
>>
File: img (1).jpg (20KB, 360x404px)
img (1).jpg
20KB, 360x404px
Is Orvis good to go for a EDC fall jacket? Pic related is what im looking at.
>>
>>854740
Looks like a cheap nylon compressable sleeping bag....

>>854608
>useless features
I can't carry where I live, so I certainly won't buy it for the soft velcro lined pockets to put a holster in there.
Then again I'll probably stuff the pockets with EDC items like a folding knife, a flashlight and some other items

I read reviews that said the Aggressor Parka has good large pockets but the zippers are shit on the pockets and the access holes are too small. This is not entirely too bad however, this prevents loosing items by having them fall out of your pocket (lost a Fenix PD32 that way, which sucked big time)

I'm worried that wind and draft will make this parka too cold, since I have wide shoulders but other than that I'm skelly as fuck. Worried that the wind will go under it all the time, since it's also designed to be able to be worn over tactical magazine vests/load bearing equipment

>>853961
>>854523
http://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-men-outerwear/Duck-Traditional-Jacket-Arctic-Quilt-Lined-J002
I just found this on their site... Looks also pretty good, a bit less tactical than the 5.11 jacket. Just trying look as unnoticeable as possible
r8 this carhartt
>>
>>854791
Wanting waxed polycotton like g-1000 to be waterproof is a misconception.
>>
>>854695
Been looking at one of those (hey, for ~$USD15, why not?)
One question if you wouldn't mind anon, are the top pockets any good? They seem hardly usable due to the angle.
>>
>>856289
Other dutch anon here, the pockets are really useful. They are famous for being able to carry 0,5 lieter cans of beer in them
>>
>>854832
>It's definitely combat proven to say the least.

ie. People that didn't have to pay for them and turned them in afterwards thought they were nice for the time they had them.
>>
>>854880
cotton twill? I wouldn't.

temp range, expected weather, and layers worn underneath?

Personally I like - cotton windproof or denim jacket for Summer, waxed cotton or goretex for Autumn through to Spring

Orvis is a good brand tho', had one of their coats for years but passed it on due to it being fudd-tier and preferring Barbour jackets.
>>
>>856289
Original poster of the pic here, what >>856316 said is true, the pockets are very deep.
They indeed may seem unusable, but they're actually very practical when used right. Due to the diagonal opening your left hand can easily get inside the right pocket and vice versa.
>>
>>856316
>>856404

Nice.
Thanks for the answer anonbros.
>>
>>856354
>temp range
45-50 F

>expected weather
Stong, cold winds/light to medium rain

>and layers worn underneath?
Usually a commando sweater or a hoody

Im in Missouri and i wanted something that can,when layered deal with our crazy weather, and also be a good shooting jacket with a wide range of arm movement. I had an orvis jacket before but i was a bit too big that was perfect, and i kinda want another. Is cotton twill that bad?
>>
>>856336
You do know it isnt issued at all right?
>>
>>853780

Mixture if both. They are decent jackets.
>>
>>854700

They are. Keep all the old ones and use them for work jackets, or toss them into your trunk as a spare. Either way until, they're almost in pieces, they're still a good coat. I'd pick them over the 5.11 ones.
>>
>>854558
barbours can actually withstand some rain and are also thornproof but there might be cheaper options
>>
File: IMG_8748.jpg (1MB, 1500x2000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8748.jpg
1MB, 1500x2000px
>>853777
arktis b110 are great.
>>
>>856532
I thought about buying one. Can you give a run down on why its good, and what weather its good for?
>>
>>856554
It's good for every season if you know how to layer correctly for the season environment.

b110 is really is as basic bitch as arktis can make it for you.
Arktis’s Combat smock is exactly the same as the Waterproof smock except it lacks the drop liner. This means it is a lighter weight and is a ‘stripped down’ version of the B310. Ideal for high exertion use.
IE you can wash it sew it up and BTFO the thing and not have to worry about the tech portion of the jacket shitting itself.

What I like about is it's not windproof which allow it to breathe better and be more of a versatile layer when switching climates.
the jacket is just that a jacket you layer what you need for the environment you're in.

>Pockets
I like them. you can stuff them with lots of useful stuff or a lot of useless stuff your call.
I like the breast pockets 1. when stuffed it makes an artificial shoulder pocket which makes shouldering a rifle easier than it already was. 2. the zips underneath them are nice for maps, phone, whatever have you, that you need access to fast or often.

hopefully, this helps
>>
>>856575
Welp. Guess im gonna try one out. Thanks Anon.
>>
File: 568.1.jpg (257KB, 1200x1014px) Image search: [Google]
568.1.jpg
257KB, 1200x1014px
>>854832
CANSOF/JTF2 uses a lot of Arc'Teryx LEAF gear, but poorfags gonna poor regardless

>if you really want combat proven pic related has been there done that for decades, so cozy ahhhh
>>
>>856604
np glad I could help.

>>856667
Snugpak makes good kit, but the Arcteryx Atom LT jacket is god tier.
>>
>>856727
>Snugpak makes good kit, but the Arcteryx Atom LT jacket is god tier.
I got two of each, totally agree. I had a Snugpak sleeping bag too, huge upgrade
>>
>>855793
5.11 fag OP here again
So I wen to the store and they told me they didn't sell the Aggressor Parka anymore...
They had too many people return them because of the sizing of the coat. Way too big for the non-Amerifat customers.

The alternative is the 60 euro more expensive 5.11 Bristol Parka, which has a a softshell liner instead of a fleece. Total price is 330 now. This better be a fuckin' GOAT jacket for that money.
>>
>>856459
Cotton can make a great windproof layer, and is commonly used in sub zero conditions where it's lack of water resistance isn't an issue.

I wear a smock (cotton) for walking the dog, and for any hiking, camping or hillwalking in the warmer months. As soon as temperatures start dipping under 15C (so now, September, here in Scotland) I switch it out for something more weather resistant as we get a lot of squalish rain and inconsistent forecasts up here.

I like my Barbour wax jackets - good water resistance, good abrasion resistance, quiet to wear.

So IMO I'd recommend something similar, maybe check out the Filson tin cloth outer wear?

Alternatively, if you have money to drop, check out ventile clothing. It's a type of cotton that is tightly woven, which means when it wets out the fibres swell, preventing more water ingress. The double layered jackets are basically waterproof.

It'd give you the advantage of natural material (silent, relatively abrasion resistant) but with more breathability than a wax or tincloth outer. The disadvantage would be price, and that when wetted out it stiffens up, becomes heavy (waterlogged) and takes a while to dry.
>>
>>856958
Ah, thanks Anon. I'll keep looking around, and check out those reccs.
>>
>>856958
>tincloth

Is all Filson tincloth waxed/oiled? I've seen some old Barbour coats with amazing patinas. But they seem reluctant to make brown coats anymore and I'm not sure the dark ones would take on such a patina. Filson, however, make a lot of brown.
>>
File: 1459820350100.jpg (23KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1459820350100.jpg
23KB, 306x306px
>>856894
You know why they're big right?

It's to hide your kit and prevent printing
>>
>>853777
Hey can anyone give me an idea for a heavy wool jacket or coat? I just want something for chilly days, and something i can throw on for a quick walk in the woods.A little waterproof would be good but doesnt need to be.
>>
>>857946
Budget?
>>
>>857965
Sorry, should have included that. Nothing outlandish, but id spend 2-3 hundred on something special
>>
>>857972
Could get yourself a mack' from Filson, for a little more, a pea coat from Schott NYC. A number of things from Varusteleka.

Could probably get yourself a nice vintage wool coat from ebay for less.
>>
>>854648
Kek
>>
>>857999
Thanks buddy. I was looking for a vintage woolrich hunt coat but they're all sweat stained 1940s ones. Might invest in a filson even if they do seem a bit thin for the cash
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mjx5ykkspO1qz4rgp.png (77KB, 169x223px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mjx5ykkspO1qz4rgp.png
77KB, 169x223px
>>856667
>>
>>858309
The general /out/ thing these days is to have a layering system. So you've got your wool underwear, then maybe a fleece jacket on top of that. Then a membrane shell over that.

I am partial to old school wool myself.

Doesn't sweat come out with dry-cleaning? I've never had to deal with old school wool.

Another thing you could look at is Swanndri. They are also expensive for what you get. Ray Mears wears their stuff sometimes.
>>
>>859287
>/out/ thing these days
It's only been trending since at least the tunic.
>>
>>859315
What I meant was most people here advise against thick coats, right?
>>
File: Ferrosi.jpg (175KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Ferrosi.jpg
175KB, 800x800px
I just picked up a Ferrosi in Black, and I'm super pleased. it layers super well and is comfortable from 55-80. Fucking get one
>>
>>854648

>what is a midlayer
>>
>>859329
That makes you look like a tool. I'd slap you.
>>
>>854695
I got one of these as well, but I think mine is an older model. Pockets look similar though.

They're not as big as the lower pockets, but still surprisingly roomy. Fits a buck 110's length. I use them to put some tools in like a folding knife or something.
>>
File: IMG_3422.png (452KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3422.png
452KB, 750x1334px
Searching for a good anorak. Wanted to buy this one
>>
>>859287
Yeah but the stains were the least of the coat's problems; fraying cuffs, holes everywhere, threadbare etc. Thanks for the recommendation. It seems like you need to pay a lot for simple well made stuff now days which is shit but whatever
>>
>>859375
>>>/fa/
>>
>>859458
Montane. Buffalo. Any outdoors brand..

>buying a skate brand for innawoods use
>>
>>854558
Kettle Mountain Jacket by Eddie Bauer is fucking fantastic
>>
Got this jacket at a thrift store. I brought it on my first winter trip and I loved it. Reason being of how useful it is. If you look at my green wool top you can kind of make out strap that's black and red. Those are attached to the inside of the jacket which means if I'm over heating myself during a work load, I can wear those straps, take the jacket off, and it can hang there. You can easily add this to any other winter jacket. It's made with down inside and the second best feature is the hood. It's huge. If you can picture the guy in medieval movies who's in the corner of the room with his cloak's hood shadowing his face and keeping him hidden. That's this hood. Because of that I put the coat below me on this camping trip when I slept and I used the hood to cover my head during the night and keep it cool. I would have spent a very uncomfy 3 nights if I didn't have that. Of course keeping mind that I also wore wool clothes, that make this trip very easy to stay warm. This was a huge coat originally made for a giant I feel, but to me it was a parka.
>>
>>859526
Yeah well I'm looking for a good olive green anorak I can wear in the nature but also casual in my every day live and I don't want to spend more than 100€ but still have somehow good quality. Got better ones?
>>
>>859465
Yep! You ever seen Levi's Vintage Collection?
Selling jeans the way they used to make them for much much more.
Leather is another interesting one. You have to pay a grand to get what is the equivalent of Sears workwear from 1940.
>>
File: anorak-gr_n-frontal_1.png (842KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
anorak-gr_n-frontal_1.png
842KB, 1000x1000px
>>859553
Doesn't fit your budget but I thought I'd post this.

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.raffstaff.de/maenner-1/lodenanorak-gruen&prev=search
>>
>>859329
Any long sleeve shirt being comfortable in 80 let alone a thick hoodie
>>
who /travisbickle/ here?
>>
>>860076
Whats with the retarded webbing and D-ring?
>>
>>860857
found out why, they're daisy loops for attaching ''important gear''.

I do like it in brown, pretty /fa/

What about this,

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/bushwear-woodland-stalker-smock-field-classics.html

As a cheap intro into loden?
>>
So, I'm looking for a new winter jacket.

I don't mind spending a significant amount of money as long as it's an investment in terms of longevity.

As such, I've been looking at Fjällraven. People have been saying that as long as they regurlarly reapply the wax coat, it's last 10 years or something. The coats sure seem rugged at first sight. Also, some of them have reinforced shoulders which is good.

Use scenario: Daily cycling/walking with a 28l daypack of some weight. About 40 minutes to and from work daily. (So 80 minutes total). Always wearing the pack. Has to withstand snow, rain and moderate winds.

What do you guys say? Will Fjällraven really last me for years if I take care of it properly?

How often will I need to wax it?
>>
>>853777
>Post /out/ jackets

Back in 2014 during the Snowpocalypse, I almost bought an LL Bean Maine Warden's 3-in-1 parka, with a zip-in down coat and GoreTex parka shell, that looked pretty bad ass and comfy but the closest store is in Chicago and I didn’t want to mail-order something that expensive ($300, IIRC?) without trying it on.
>>
>>856575
>it's not windproof

If it ain't windproof, it ain't waterproof either and in that case, what did you buy it for?
>>
>>861444

Is there no one with any experience with Fjällraven that can tell me if it is what I'm looking for.

I've been told that tech layers like gore-tex get shredded within weeks when you cycle with a pack a lot so what are the options?
>>
>>853777

I've worn a Belgian M65 parka for the past 3 or so years and it's been great, easy to layer with, passable for every day wear, and durable as fuck, cozy too. It has a little hood in the collar for rain, but unless you're waxing it I wouldn't recommend wearing it in the anything but ~15 minutes of rain. I went on a trip this spring in which I got caught in a pretty nasty storm, heavy rain for a full day and a half and the jacket was totally soaked through - tried drying it over a fire for almost an hour to no avail. That prompted me to get a rain proof shell, I currently have an Eddie Bauer one that I've been wearing the past couple days with the temp drops down to 59~ in the morning. It does decently well for breaking the wind, while still being breathable.

>sorry about instagram photo, my girlfriend took this picture
>>
>>861483
>If it ain't windproof, it ain't waterproof either and in that case, what did you buy it for?
Can you not read?:
>>856575
> it lacks the drop liner. This means it is a lighter weight and is a ‘stripped down’ version of the B310....Ideal for high exertion use...the jacket is just that a jacket you layer what you need for the environment you're in.
>>
>>861883
buy a pannier?

Fjallraven waxed shit isn't waterproof. It's water resistance, and any additional wax will seriously hamper it's breathability. For low exertion activities that's fine but not what I'd recommend for anything more.
>>
Looking for a new jacket, want it to be completely waterproof. What is the best waterproofing for jackets?

I assume Goretex, but there seem to be dozens of different types of waterproofing.

What's the best?
>>
File: 1474233222432.jpg (108KB, 745x1006px) Image search: [Google]
1474233222432.jpg
108KB, 745x1006px
>>861480
Looks awesome, I like 3 in 1 jackets. I have a Berghaus Ulvetanna for casual wear in cold weather. I love it, keeps you cosy at 14F with a t shirt and thin sweater. Down tends to slip down form the shoulders which lets the cold in sometimes but it happens rarely and is easy to put right. Really waterproof too with loads of pockets. Only gripe is that the hand-warming pockets don't go into the coat so your hands are not insulated by the down. They're also way too low down the jacket.
>>
>>862340
wrong photo
>>
File: nemo-smock.jpg (70KB, 512x662px) Image search: [Google]
nemo-smock.jpg
70KB, 512x662px
>>859458
i have this, from saint james
not an anorak but kinda similar
expensive, but high quality cloth and good stitchings
>>
File: 1.jpg (232KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
232KB, 400x400px
>>862341
>wrong photo
where is the difference
>>
>>862224

THanks for your advice. If I may ask, what do you mean by water resistant? If it can keep the water out for about an hour that would be sufficient for my everyday use.
>>
>>862224

Also, I have a pannier, but I still need the pack. I work in a big office building that uses 'flex-working'. This means that no one has their own desks and if you leave your desk for a meeting, someone else can claim it. I use the pack to take my laptop and writing block etc. across the building.

I don't want to put the pack in pannier, because in my city they might steal it out from there when I'm stopped at a traffic light or something.
>>
File: file.png (220KB, 1567x894px)
file.png
220KB, 1567x894px
>>861483
>what did you buy it for?
Abrasion shell to protect my tech layers
gotta love them pockets, and that smock cut.

since I'm too lazy here is what bong infantry stuff in their smocks, and might give you a few good Ideas..
>>
>>859357
merino wool or fleece. not burlap or whatever that tryhard ranch hand thing is made of
>>
>>857449
Can anyone ID the jacket on the left?
>>
>>862256
re-ask your question in a less retarded way and we might help.

>pro tip: don't ask for a subjective ''best''
>>
File: P2014036.jpg (358KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
P2014036.jpg
358KB, 1200x900px
Swedish jacket, Swedish hat, Swedish pants, Swedish boots, Swedish mittens.
>>
File: FallJacket.jpg (56KB, 464x618px) Image search: [Google]
FallJacket.jpg
56KB, 464x618px
My fall jacket I picked up in a bargain bin for 20 bucks. Not good in the rain but super warm and comfy.
>>
>>863478
Probably LL bean or Columbia or north face
delta force liked those companies.
>>
>>863516
I don't think there are many things in this world more comfy than a quilted flannel shirt with a hood on a chilly day.
>>
>>863502
What's the fleece/whatever it is he's wearing under the jacket? looks comfy
>>
>>853777
LL bean for life, dude.
>>
where my /m65/ bros at?
>>
>>864433
pls respond
>>
File: rabsummit.jpg (31KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
rabsummit.jpg
31KB, 650x450px
Love this jacket
>>
File: 30380_001_f.jpg (119KB, 831x1246px) Image search: [Google]
30380_001_f.jpg
119KB, 831x1246px
I use the Marmot Minimalist as a shell with a Patagonia nano-puff underneath for warmth.

Combined price: $115
Say what you will about REI garage sales, but they've always worked out well for me.
>>
I'm looking for some advice on jacket/pants for hunting in November. It's going to be cold and possibly wet so something that can handle some water would be ideal. My budgets around $200, also I'm Canadian if that makes any difference.
>>
Ever heard of Paramo Clothing? I've never heard anyone talk about wearing it. The guy that made nikwax made a line of clothing where the idea is that you have a water resistant outer and the inner is moisture wicking as fuck.
So, while the rain will come through a bit at a certain point, the idea is that it sucks all the wet off of you while a more waterproof garment is leaving you damp with your own juices.
>>
Are jackets with goretex the most waterproof?
>>
>>864836
Water wont penetrate anything goretex that isn't faulty. I don't know how something can be "most waterproof" though.
>>
>>853777
I wear this jacket as part of my work uniform. Nothing special. it keeps you warm and functions just as it says it does but it feels overly bulky to me.

Unless you have really cold weather and regular snow, avoid it.
>>
Is milsurp any good for colder/wet outdoor adventures, or should I look into commercial gear?
>>
>>863461
He was saying you would wear a midlayer underneath the chore coat. It that you would use it as a midlayer.
>>
>>864896
Got a pair of British MVP trousers - quite happy with them. Light, durable and waterproof. And cheap!
>>
>>864836
but the membrane can be physically wetted out. It's also to do with the differentiation between inside and outside (the jacket) conditions like temp/moisture levels. Goretex definitely is more effective in certain circumstances.
>>
>>859458
why is Trevor so sad, he must not like his jacket.
>>
File: download.png (781KB, 1140x1140px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
781KB, 1140x1140px
Should I?
>>
File: IMGP4942.jpg (79KB, 438x662px)
IMGP4942.jpg
79KB, 438x662px
>>865959
I have one (well I have the lesser-quality generic brand but it's a really close clone). Glorious. Changed my /out/ life. It depends on your activities of course, I'm not a big ulralight fagüt, I'm a camper and explorer, so it's perfect. And so warm and cumpfy. Combined with snow pants, and proper socks, and I can shuffle around in the snow all night.
>>
>>863502
Finnish knife?
>>
>>864836

Loose definitions bro.

Yes, it will keep water out as long as it's intact, but normal daily use will shred a gore-tex layer within a year.

It's also most effective at keeping water (moisture) in, so you'll get wet because of sweating.

If you intend to wear any kind of gear like a daypack or backpack or something, Gore-tex is a waste of money.
>>
>>867785

Yup. I wear my water proof layer OVER my rucksack.

>Wicking base layer
>Rucksack
>Poncho over everything.

If it's cold I'll wear a wicking fleece or wool layer too. Planning on getting a pair of gaiters, I'm done with traditional waterproof (jacket+trousers) for now.
>>
> where my /m65/ bros at?

If you were never in the military and you wear an m65 you are a huge poseur.
>>
>>867933

Or just someone looking to buy an inexpensive jacket that can take abuse?
>>
>>863502
Swedish wife?
>>
Are there any jackets made for tall people?

I'd like a jacket that actually covers my torso when I lift my arms above my head.
>>
>>867961
Syrian wife's son
>>
File: Distant_rainstorm.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px)
Distant_rainstorm.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>853777

What is a good gore tex rain shell that doesn't cost half a thousand dollars?
>>
>>854558
You will never find clothing that will stand up to more abuse that Arborwear. It is literally built for lumberjacks, so you're not going to find tougher clothing. They have a fairly wide array of clothing and jackets, but you'll have to pick which jacket is right for you. I belive most of the hoods are oversized to fit over a hard hat (mine is), so make sure you pay attention to what you're buying. This is stuff is for hard core work first and foremost.
>>
>>867992

get one that covers your arse. im 6"3, currently have a mountain equeipment softshell that fits perfect.

fjallraven is a good fit too, shame about how the jackets arent actually waterproof.
>>
>>863502
Don't you mean Muslim
>>
>>864793
>I'm looking for some advice on jacket/pants for hunting in November.

Bibs, GoreTex if possibile.
>>
File: goretex jacket.jpg (279KB, 752x600px) Image search: [Google]
goretex jacket.jpg
279KB, 752x600px
>>867785
>but normal daily use will shred a gore-tex layer within a year.

Absolute nonsense.
>>
>>864793
November means freezing temps but not much snow yet. Get a windproof shell, a heavy fleece and a base layer. Add gloves, tuque and scarf.
>>
>>853945
>wearing pretend 90s surplus when you can just where real 90s surplus
?
>>
>>867933
The m65 is essential homeless core.
>>
>>867785
Except it's designed to be moisture permeable one way you fucking faggot. Most good goretex jackets will have pit zips which do wonders for sweat.
>>
>>868429
Kek
>>
>Bought a Fjallraven jacket
>Measured, fit perfectly in the medium part of their size chart
>Jacket arrives
>Far too big, can't even reach the end of the sleeves
>Can wrap it around myself
>Still says it's a medium despite being too big for their size chart medium

Come on, Fjallraven.
>>
>>868471

Elaborate or gtfo.
>>
>>868510

Bullshit. Maybe 20% of them do, but only at the higher price tiers as far as I can see.

Also, if they were 'moisture permeable one way' and if that's working out so well, why would they need the pit zips at all?
>>
>>869208
It's for layering.
>>
File: fuck4.jpg (109KB, 588x862px) Image search: [Google]
fuck4.jpg
109KB, 588x862px
This is the Rothco special softshell jacket. It's a bit short but damn it's nice when windy. Works great with a fleece underjacket!
>>inb4 -milifag
>>-miligear is shit
>>
>>869416
>them inb4's
Ok how about this:
Softshells are shit.
>>
>>869425
How about you come with some arguments to why?
>>
>>869411
Layering won't make my shoulders two inches wider on each side.
>>
>>869431
Wear hockey shoulder pads underneath.
>>
File: 227998i_ts.jpg (110KB, 1154x1154px)
227998i_ts.jpg
110KB, 1154x1154px
I've been wearing pic related for a while now, loose enough to make wearing layers easy and is super comfy
>>
File: Alchemy Shell.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Alchemy Shell.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
Which of these shells would be best for winter above treeline hiking and ice climbing, the Mtn Hardwear Dragon or the Mtn Hardwear Alchemy? Ieaning toward the Alchemy right now.

>Pic related
>>
>>869657
Fuck yea bro! Those are the bee's tits.
>>866725
>>865959
>>
>>865959
>>869657
>>869677
>no sherpa in the sleeves
Makes it worthless for me and my cold girly arms.
>>
File: 156105.jpg (47KB, 880x660px)
156105.jpg
47KB, 880x660px
>>869717
broski the reason they don't sherpa the sleeves is for comfort and general ease of wear. having puffy clumpy arms on an already puffy jacket sucks. as long as you're wearing normal /winter-out/ layers you'll be fine.

if you don't want to or can't invest in a full-body silver at least get yourself a decent wool or synthetic topsilver (which frankly you should already be wearing anyway) and you'll be fine!

puffy shitty parka arms are for kids man
>>
>>864729
>>867953
I've been kind of wanting to get an m65 as a heavier jacket than what I usually wear around (a light cotton hoodie). Can you guys recommend me anything? Preferably on the cheaper side of the scale, I looked at one of the newer Austrian jackets and it seemed a bit pricey.
>>
File: trousers_6.jpg (96KB, 833x529px)
trousers_6.jpg
96KB, 833x529px
What materials should I look for when looking for something water resistant but that does good near a fire? Waxed cotton? Also with the versatility for hiking, camping and larping shtf scenarios.
>>
>>870035
>good near a fire
>Waxed cotton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_circus_fire
>>
what is the best jacket in the world? price is of no matter.
>>
File: seasons.png (10KB, 383x467px) Image search: [Google]
seasons.png
10KB, 383x467px
>>870040
Knowing that you're loved.

cost: free
>>
>>870040
how big are you?
>>
File: image.jpg (10KB, 440x267px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10KB, 440x267px
Bought one of these on sale for $220nzd, made by a hunting company here in NZ called bushbuck, already got their pig hunting bushshirt which I love so hopefully this one will be as good as the reviews say aswell
>>
>>853777
Hey guys I was shopping late at walmart (1am) and saw a lady adding jackets to a rack
>pic related
>https://www.walmart.com/ip/Swiss-Tech-Men-s-Heavy-Weight-Parka-Jacket/51985742

For the price are these any good or would I find something better for the price?
>>
This + a wool flannel underneath (good ol pendleton) worked great last winter. I think the coldest was around 0F. Some cold leaked into my upper chest from the zipper but I was all good with gloves and a hat. Put a northface venture jacket on top for snow storms and it all came together perfectly.
>>
File: EBO.jpg (54KB, 900x900px)
EBO.jpg
54KB, 900x900px
the rab xenon-x. she's coming with me on my A.T. thru hike next year.
>>
>>870040
Klattermusen Brede jacket
>>
>>870127
Just remember that it will never fiat as good on you as it does on their model.
>>
>>870265
>fiat
*fit
>>
File: image.jpg (136KB, 440x425px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136KB, 440x425px
>>870039
"It is also believed that the intense heat from the fire combined with the accelerants, the paraffin and gasoline, could have incinerated people completely, as in cremation, leaving no substantial physical evidence behind."

Holy shit!
>>
>>871507
people think that in 2016 we're safe from fires when we're about town because of fire codes and such, but fuck that. don't ever go anywhere without knowing where your escapes are. And don't waste time, you see fire you move!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquois_Theatre_fire
>>
I'm moving to rural North Dakota next month from Orlando and I have no winter clothing worth a damn, I've been told that cotton is not my friend in a cold climate, I've got $100 to spend on outer wear, I'm not a flashy person by nature so I'm looking for something sensible, I really have no idea what to get, can you help?
>>
>>870047
I'm a big guy for you.
>>
File: F81841-030_0.jpg (928KB, 2070x2691px) Image search: [Google]
F81841-030_0.jpg
928KB, 2070x2691px
Considering this. Any good? What's the fit like, up or down?
>>
File: morphine.png (519KB, 432x416px) Image search: [Google]
morphine.png
519KB, 432x416px
>>872228
>polycotton
>doesn't even have snaps or zip pockets
>storm flap has no snaps either
>kidney pockets don't even have snaps or zippers
>drawstring tab is unmatching leather because reasons
>no liner (?)
>for $700 (seven hundred) united states dollars
>Any good?
>>
File: 000_702hu.jpg (3MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
000_702hu.jpg
3MB, 5184x3456px
>>872218
>I'm a big guy for you
GIGN, is that you?
>>
File: roughneck.png (132KB, 380x380px)
roughneck.png
132KB, 380x380px
>>854558
real late to this party but I wear the cabela's roughneck when i go for a hike or hunt. Still warm in the winter too provided you're not going for overnights or something. Taken it through brambles, jack pine, and worse and it hasn't even got a loose thread yet after 3 years
>>
>>862256
nothing is ever completely waterproof. Some jackets just take longer to seep in but it happens eventually whether your jacket costs 100$ or 800$
>>
>>870040
>>
>>872228
I hate the term 'meme' but fuck me most fjallraven jackets are overpriced meme gear. Would you even be considering it if it wasn't fjallraven and you were looking at its features objectively?
>>
>>872254
This is truth.

However there are jackets that take a shit ton of time to seep, if you are not going to be doing much in the way of exertion then the classic seafarers rainwear/oilskin will do a good job and doesn't cost much, if on the other hand you will be doing stuff then you want something that breathes, I'd go for Gortex in that scenario.
>>
>>872254
The old unbreathable shells are completely waterproof.
>>
>>872427
yeah but once you do any exertion you wet the inside yourself with sweat
>>
>>853961
I work at the biggest carhartt dealer in California and I can say they're pretty damn nice still. And I hate working there so I'm not just trying to push our products. Only my coworker friends keep me sane there. And I get a pretty good discount on all the /out/ gear I could ever need.
>>
>>855793
on that carhartt - they're stiff as fuck and too baggy for my taste. But for quality and what not, it's good shit. I'm this anon >>873107
>>
>>853777
LL bean 850 with the hood. Extraordinarily light, and extremely warm. Also stuffs into a self contained pillow. Love mine
>>
File: bundled.jpg (254KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
bundled.jpg
254KB, 1200x800px
OK so this isn't realistic for most....but I will swear by the North Face Himalayan Parka and pants.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-jackets-vests/mens-himalayan-parka?variationId=KZ3

I spent the last year (I'm back stateside now) stationed in Northern Greenland and while we are issued fairly good cold weather gear, it isn't quite meant for extremes.

As such, I was lucky enough to get a significant discount on the above mentioned coat and pants along with the appropriate boots and supporting gear prior to my arrival.

The gear was phenomenal. I would spend hours outside in -40F temps. When things got "warmer" and calmer I would commonly only wear a t-shirt and jeans underneath and still be too hot. It is worth noting that above 20F the gear was too much and you ended up sweating and overexerting yourself in even simple activities.

In all honesty it depends on what you need the coat for. This one is likely overkill but I wanted to throw it out there. People who buy this outside of practical use (aka lol north face I'm trendy) are not the folks who should own this coat.
>>
Are there any /out/ approved bubble goose coats? I really like the look, sue me.
>>
>>873107
Thought about selling it to us? Say you get 10% maybe you sell to us at 5% off and you pocket the 5% as profit.
>>
>>864729
>>869943

Reporting. Mine's going on 10 years of age, and idk how much longer with whoever it belonged to before it went surplus. Mine is a bit weird though, it doesn't have the tuck in velcro hand covers.

Anyone else have one like that? possible fake? Also you ever manage to get it truly water proof? Seems like I've used everything but wax
>>
File: M65 strong.jpg (898KB, 3264x1836px)
M65 strong.jpg
898KB, 3264x1836px
>>873298
Forgot pic
>>
>>853961
Carharrt is good stuff. Super comfy and durable. However, I don't recommend it for /out/ because most of their stuff is made of heavy ass cotton.
>>
>>854740
I've got one of these. Best jacket ever.
>>
>>872228
There are better, cheaper options. If you see it on sale for $200-$300 than sure, otherwise you're paying for the brand in this case.

Fjallraven makes good stuff though.
>>
>>865959

So carhartt makes generally good stuff?

How about:
https://www.carhartt-wip.com/en/men-jackets-parka/trapper-parka-cypress-black-103_1?cl=true

is it worth it?
>>
>>874056
it probably is worth it because their stuff is comfy as dicks but that's still kinda steep imho. i suppose it depends on how much a coat like that is a priority for you. in any case, i'm sure you can get a better price through amazon/walmart/ebay/other retail than buying directly from carhartt.
>>
>>874064
This. You can find Carhartt stuff for like $40 cheaper on Amazon sometimes. Good stuff though.
>>
>>874056
Carhartt WIP is their fashion label, you know? I don't know how it compares to the regular stuff.
People say it's probably shittier since it doesn't have to be as durable, right?

I'd say WIP is all overpriced unless it's on sale, too. But I'm thinking of what it retails for in my country. Could be all right for yanks.
>>
This look like a good buy to anyone?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/new-hungarian-forestry-surplus-lined-hunting-jacket-with-zip-off-sleeves?a=1923524
>>
>>874495
For $50 new I don't think you can go wrong, m8.
>>
>>874510
Cool. Thanks.
>>
>>874064
I bought it..... its the most robust jacket i ever had and its super warm. My last jacket served me well for 8 years and its still intact but since i was 17 back then i thought i deserve a new one. Bet this one will also last me many years.
I can totally recommand it (as far as one can say this after 1 Day of usage)
>>
>>870035
Just wear regular trousers man, either cotton or polycotton.

As long as you're not asleep beside the fire you'll see any embers and you can brush them off. The odd hole isn't going to detract from a pair of trousers (tho it may make you wince if you're buying faggy over priced fjallraven)

Plastics have pretty high combustion temps, I often put a fire very near / under a polyester tarp.

What you're looking for doesn't exist.

I've worn my goretex overtrousers near fires for a few years and I've not caught fire yet but if it's not raining heavily I don't bother with them - you are next to a fire of course!

>>872236
big toggle buttons are the BEST dude. Snaps and zips are pleb tier

I wouldn't buy the faggraven version either but don't slag the smock it's a classic design .
>>
>>874743
noice. i knew you wouldn't be unappointed with it!
>>
>>856532
>arktis b110
Great set up, papa san !
>>
>>870035
>>874774
Wool pants.
>>
File: 1235125125.jpg (397KB, 1812x3088px) Image search: [Google]
1235125125.jpg
397KB, 1812x3088px
What do you people think about vests?

I really like them, easy to move around with and not too warm during winter.

Overall, particularly this kind of model, has a great overall performance.
>>
>>874056
bought a carhartt hoodie a while back, the sleeves are way too long, either that or my arms are short. Although carhartt is american so perhaps the longer sleeves is to compensate for fat boy flubber wings
>>
>>876318
I bought a cheap down best from Aldi. Cozy af and packs down to half a litre. Mobile as fuck and layers well in winter.

I'm a total vest guy now.
>>
Do any of you wear capes?
>>
>>876318

Vest are great. I use them for summer backpacking and fall. In the alpine lake reigns even in the summer it's chilly. Vest keeps the core worm and room to vent.

Also during the fall they layer well. In the winter I think it's much better idea to have full down jacket for insulation. Although if it's all you have not a bad idea for extra layer.
>>
File: 84701_BLK.jpg (52KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
84701_BLK.jpg
52KB, 750x750px
Ok guys here I go, cross post from /fa/ (sorry).

I live in central Italy, mountains in my area are 2400 m tops and I don't do winter climbing, just simple hikes, possibly starting snowshoeing this year.

I need a cheap warm jacket suitable for both my /out/ basic adventures and daily life, commuting to work when it's real cold in the morning.

I still can believe it but I discovered a brick and mortar outdoor store near my town that sells everything from Patagonia at a 20 % discount, so I'm looking at Down Sweater Hoody.

I love that it's super packable and supposedly much warmer than Nano Puff (which I own, it's OK for early winter with just a cotton shirt underneath, I know that's not proper layering but it's what I wear to work).

So, should I buy it or look for something else?
>>
Is this too try-hard?
>>
Looking for a thin down jacket to layer underneath a softshell, or a goretex hard shell in bad rain. Any recommendations?
Don't want to spend a huge amount, but I will pay for quality.
>>
>>879422
I have the non-hooded version and love it. Warm and cosy but not too warm when hiking
>>
>>879428

Going out in public with it on - yes
going innawoods with it on - no

I took the kraut flags off mine too.
>>
>>879456

Thanks for replying. Why did you pick the non hooded version? Also, do you wear it around the city/commuting/going out or only proper /out/?
>>
>>879472
Not him, but I would assume because mid layers are a pain in the ass if they have a hood because then you have to deal with more than one hood when you are layered on top
>>
>>879422
I also have the non hooded version

It's a great jacket, and I love how packable it is.
I've had mine for 2 or 3 years and it's in great shape.
>>
I'm >>879766

>>879499 is right.
I don't like having multiple hoods, and if weather is bad then my rainshell is going on top of everything and I'll need to use that hood.

I love hoods, comfy af, but I wear a beanie if my head is cold. Hoods get annoying when you're actually doing stuff

>>879440
the patagonia down sweater we are currently discussing sounds like a good fit. Expensive but I'm glad I bought mine
>>
>>868492
This, go find a real surplus store in your area.
>>
>>879768
How warm is the patagonia sweater?
>>
Anyone bought brandit anorak?
>>
Did any of you catch the Uniqlo U line? Probably too late for most to get it. They had a 100% wool shirt for $60AUD. Not easy for Australians to get wool shirt that cheap.
>>
What about those Jackets "3 in 1" taht comes with an outeear waterproof jackrt and a fleece Jacket underneath? Quechua hás one of those. They seem to be able to withstand almost all weather but the extremes.
>>
>>880763
Well its just best if you're able to take the fleece out so that you can use one without the other depending on weather and physical activity (or you could of course just get a separate fleece and shell jacket what is the norm)
>>
>>864729
What color is thst considered???
>>
>>880959
Olive drab?
>>
>>880848
yeap, that`s the ones that you can took off the fleece if you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w_oYcIwt7M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZoDwZJHzgc
>>
>>880763
In my experience they're not worth it. I usually end up ditching the fleece, which is usually shit-tier and is barely functional and stupidly ugly on it's own. But the outer shell usually has a shitty lining or no lining at all that doesn't work on its own with other clothing. Plus you have all these stupid attachments/zippers left over on the shell when you ditch the fleece.

I just prefer to buy a shell that can stand on its own and layer underneath. That way I can choose between anything from a t-shirt to a sweatshirt/fleece.
>>
>>879428
I like flecktarn.

My friends gave me shit when I identified flecktarn pattern on a friend gun in tom clancy's the division.

Whats official name for this jacket, and where can I buy one? It looks like just shell.
>>
>>881359

its a german army parka, they come with really warm liners too
>>
File: 38597995.jpg (333KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
38597995.jpg
333KB, 400x400px
>>854695
>Two layers of tightly woven cotton
adds +25kg extra
>>
File: IMG_2770.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px)
IMG_2770.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
This is my 80s german army parka
Removed the flags and added cheap fur trim to the hood
It weighs 2kg and comes with a full removable warm liner
>>
>>856532
need clothing kitlist. what pants are this?
>>
File: 86134227.jpg (395KB, 600x600px)
86134227.jpg
395KB, 600x600px
>>860076
>/fa/
this is the /out/ board. we actually use our stuff. this is why we need topnotch gear+topnotch style.
>>
>>863502
why do you wear brown in white environment?
>>
>>868501
Kek
>>
>>869416
poor doge. its so cold brrr
>>
File: WH.jpg (110KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WH.jpg
110KB, 720x1080px
Anybody used pic related? I'm thinking about getting it for snowboarding and general use, but I don't know if the sleeves would fit.
>>
File: northface denali.jpg (7KB, 254x300px) Image search: [Google]
northface denali.jpg
7KB, 254x300px
pic related got me through many a cold night, not even memeing
>>
File: s_geeps.png (17KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
s_geeps.png
17KB, 261x195px
>>881704
just an educated guess but your boyfriend's warm dick up your ass probably helped too anon
>>
File: BK.jpg (60KB, 1200x1200px)
BK.jpg
60KB, 1200x1200px
Thoughts on this Sierra Designs Elite DriDown jacket?
850fp down. Looks comfy af
Needed for sub zero temperatures. Heading to finland this winter

only fuggin $190 dollarydoos. Should I? Or should I get a canvas jacket like everyone in this thread?
>>
>>881490

>Jacket
Arktis B110
>pants
DULUTHFLEX FIRE HOSE FOREMAN PANTS

>kit
Ferro Concepts slickster
BMP lvl4 plates
Chicom Type 63
AWS assault pack w/LBT canteen pouches
AWS fannypack
uv5r radio
>>
>>881702
That belt would come apart fast
>>
>>853946
This
A good midlayer with a windbreaker is all you shpuld need

Unless you live somewhere with crazy winters
>>
Looking for a lightweight down jacket to layer under a hard shell.

Was looking at the rab microlight.
Looking now at the Patagonia down sweater.
Which of these would be better? The patagonia is has higher fill power, but less down. So probably not as warm, right?

Any other recommendations? Don't want to spend a huge amount but want to be nice and warm.
>>
>>860076
makes me think of Robin Hood
>>
>>881702
>Cotton, wool lining of questionable quality, more cotton
Do you even /out/
>>
>>882055
>should I get a canvas jacket
Maybe if you have a super high tolerance for cold weather. You'll definitely appreciate that down. And layer it with something to break the wind.
>>
>>881723
wore it on my thru hike m8
it's a quality product
wouldn't be caught dead wearing it on a college campus though, I understand the stigma
>>
>>881702
Hopefully your dad makes it to your belt graduating ceremony.

I got this. How badly did I do
https://www.rei.com/product/101652/rei-rei-alpenfire-fleece-jacket-mens
>>
>>882407
nah s'all good m80, just havin' a josh
>>
>>853777
Fjallrsven luhlka no. 3, 750 euro. I think it will look cool when I LARP skyrim in my moms backlot (100 acres)
>>
>>882448
>>
Anyone got any experience with the Carinthia MIG jackets?
>>
>>882450
>skyrim has zippers
>skyrim has cloaks
>>
>>882585
Not me, but plenty of germans praise them to high heaven.
>>
>>882593

Lol. That video cracks me up every time I see it
>>
>>853777
Update your iPhone phone anon.
>>
Anyone tried an Icebreaker MerinoLoft jacket? Seems like a nice alternative to down, is it any good though.
As good as down? The 380 heavyweight seems like it would be warm
>>
>>882082
>DULUTHFLEX FIRE HOSE FOREMAN PANTS
fuckin hipster
>>
File: 1465172463412.png (307KB, 500x893px)
1465172463412.png
307KB, 500x893px
>>882681
>duluth
>hipster
wtf
>>
>>872213
Thrift stores or bismanonline.com

$100 won't get you anything new and warm enough for ND winter
>>
>>856532
>AWS fannypack
Pls post more pics the ones on their website are shit. it looks kinda useful and neat for EDC.
>>
File: IMG_8854.jpg (242KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8854.jpg
242KB, 1000x750px
>>882962
they're great for IFAKS, I don't know how good they would be for EDC though

What kind of pics are you looking for?
>>
>>882988
Thanks. I just want to have a better idea of its size.
>>
looking for a jacket for southern/SE china in their winter/spring

so I'l probably just go with a good shell, as the humidity could be awful

happy to spend 2-300, and replace the $30 disposal store one I've had for years
>>
File: IMG_5072.jpg (16KB, 197x256px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5072.jpg
16KB, 197x256px
I feel like Ski jackets don't get enough respect around here.

>windproof
>waterproof
>ability to tighten all open areas
>big sealable pockets
>stylish
>ability to take the shell off

These are usually coupled with even base cheapo Ski jackets.
>>
>>883085
Not to mention they're some of the warmest jackets ever. They're meant to keep you warm in high altitude cold weather with lots of wind. I wear mine ice fishing and it's just the jacket alone with no layers underneath besides a shirt and by buddies will be layered like an onion and I'll be just as warm.
>>
>>881492
Why do you wear cum in a dark environment?
>>
>>883085
They're good for warm, but usually aren't truly water proof, only 5000-10000mm rated, which doesn't quite cut it when you're spending hours up on a ridgeline in a downpour.
>>
>>883157
What do you wear?
>>
File: Y6JKMN4GT_zoom.jpg (90KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Y6JKMN4GT_zoom.jpg
90KB, 1000x1000px
>>883167
Just some generic GoreTex jacket I got on clearance. I like the length, although I would love a Hydrophobia jacket from Earth Sea & Sky.
>>
>>853777
may be a bit over the top but I recently got pic related. Its slightly heavy but very warm and sturdy, would recommend
>>
>>853946
i find really great jackets at goodwill / thrift stores all the time. i have an eddie bauer bomber jacket from the 70s or 80s and its in great condition. i also got a $68 reebok jacket for $5 brand new.
>>
File: 1556531_003_f.jpg (11KB, 306x400px) Image search: [Google]
1556531_003_f.jpg
11KB, 306x400px
Recently got a columbia softshell.
It's decent. keeps the wind out well and makes a good fall/spring jacket on its own.
>>
File: buyings_monday.jpg (485KB, 2389x1338px) Image search: [Google]
buyings_monday.jpg
485KB, 2389x1338px
I live in the Netherlands, and my jacket needs to endure both 0 degrees celcius weather and 30 minutes rainstorms. Would this combination work?

Also, another question just out of interest, how is the breathability of a 'waterproof breathable' fabric like eVent or goretex compared to a regular down/fleece jacket? Apparently
>Technically, WP/B fabrics are breathable, i.e. moisture can pass through the fabric. But the level of breathability is inadequate to keep up with moderate- or high-aerobic activity, even when ambient humidity is very low. I’m surprised that fabric manufacturers have never been sued for false marketing claims, given how they describe the fabrics as “extremely breathable” and post photos of a runner in a WP/B shell.

So goretex is overrated, but aren't you going to sweat either way, in fleece or goretex?
>>
File: intructor_zero_aggressor.png (845KB, 1221x574px) Image search: [Google]
intructor_zero_aggressor.png
845KB, 1221x574px
>>853777
All you need to know about this jacket: Intrucktor Zero uses it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqGVU1sW8pg
>>
File: 1464227863523.jpg (201KB, 717x960px)
1464227863523.jpg
201KB, 717x960px
>>885108
for some reason I really hate that dude.
>>
>>885126
...and I fully respect your opinion on that issue; nevertheless, the aggressor parka seems to fit him and what he's doing, doesn't it?
>>
>>885101
>runner in a WP/B shell.
Yeah hell get sweaty but less wet than if they were just in the rain
>>
>>885129
The cut is retarded for civvies.

Oh wow he can pull out a CCW, I can do that with a work shirt.
>>
>>885133
Douche. WTF are you arguing about? I'm not saying the guy is superman, nor am I arguing that you need that jacket for concealing a firearm..

I just tried to inform OP that (1) instructor Zero uses that jacket, and (2) for a lot of us, that kind of operator operating is what such a jacket represents.
>>
>>885101
Anon challenges knowledege -- speaks the truth.
>>
>>854558
Also looking for a waxed canvas jacket.

Should I expect a waxed canvas jacket to be completely waterproof? I don't intend to where it as a rainjacket but just in case I get caught out in a storm while hiking/hunting.

Anyone have experience with this Waylay Jacket from Arc'teryx?
>>
>>885146
Would you rather get soaked or a little sweaty? Retard.
>>
>>885163
I have it in grey, its pretty nice.

Don't expect it to be completely waterproof, you probably have 20-30 min before you're soaked depending on the level of downpour.

It's a great jacket, I wear it to the office all of the time, and its my edc jacket. They are a great brand, a bit pricey, but very quality nice fitting good looking gear.

Kinda want to try their pants...
>>
>>885131
yeah but there are also photos like this, of runners not running in rain. I think most runners would take off their goretex jacket then if theyre really as shitty as people say they are
>>885146
>Anon challenges knowledege -- speaks the truth.
what?

Also, what I posted, would that be an OK buy?
>>
Anyone have Helly Hansen jackets? Good for the price? I've been eying thier rain jackets for under a hundred bucks.
>>
>>882271
I do /out/. I've got a surplus flecktarn parka for the "bad" days.
>>
They are fucking expensive ($300+) but if you can get a goretex parka they are really really nice. I would say its warmer than a M65 with a liner except its about 1/3rd the thickness and weight, waterproof, with way better fitting sleeves, neck, and hood. I got mine at a discount for about a $100.

Couldn't ask for more in an outer shell.
>>
File: 8644-hr.jpg (88KB, 1500x1074px)
8644-hr.jpg
88KB, 1500x1074px
best shit ive ever owned
>>
File: fire+the+thing.jpg (58KB, 432x352px)
fire+the+thing.jpg
58KB, 432x352px
>>886642
so that's for wind/rain right? not to stay warm right?
also
>rothco
don't get too close to a flame pic related
>>
>>854867
I have the black and gray one. I like it. But my wife bought me something else so I have to sport it when she's around.
>>
File: 1471963157116.jpg (230KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
1471963157116.jpg
230KB, 1600x1066px
where to cop this anorak?
>>
Anyone have a sheepskin coat? I think they look pretty warm.
>>
File: 1469295537410.jpg (37KB, 604x338px) Image search: [Google]
1469295537410.jpg
37KB, 604x338px
Any tall fags have any tall sized jackets to recommend?

I'm 6ft6in btw
>>
>>888914
Carhartt
>>
MFW live in south, need no jacket
>>
File: 1423628076970.jpg (109KB, 1083x682px)
1423628076970.jpg
109KB, 1083x682px
>>869416
>Rothco
>>
>>888985
Fall and winter /out/ is the best m8
>>
>>863502
what coat is that please, its bloody gorgeous
>>
>>888985
I live in the South too but it can still get pretty cold out during the fall and winter seasons dude.
>>
>>869208

Holy shit. Its a fucking skinny manlet.

Worst of both worlds. Too short to do anything and too much of a bitch to do anything about his situation.
>>
Here in New England its time to dust of the ol' Johnson Woolen Mill's flannel lined coat.

Im thinking about getting a smaller one and also there wool vest with leather.

Poorfags need not apply.
>>
File: 5F-07[1].jpg (28KB, 800x800px)
5F-07[1].jpg
28KB, 800x800px
>>889236

Also have a pair of wool bibs from Filson.

With proper layering I'll never freeze to death like a poorfag.
>>
>>868060
kek
>>
File: jacket combo.jpg (85KB, 1295x838px) Image search: [Google]
jacket combo.jpg
85KB, 1295x838px
My winter setup... $40 T.A.D knock off from China, ontop of a North Face Zarmatt fleece lined wool hoddie(acting as a midlayer)

Should be super cozy, and i had the T.A.D last year with a cotton hoddie as a liner last year and was warm enough even at -35C, so this time I should be fine even at -45C.

Also have one of those Zippo pocket warmer deallies, but i doubt i'll ever have it on hand(You kinda gotta know before hand if you'll need it, since the fuel evaporates out of the thing after 1 week.)
>>
>>889218
>Too short to do anything

>and too much of a bitch to do anything about his situation.

The first necessitates the impossibility of the last.

>tfw logic
>>
>>889238
Lol good luck when it rains dumbfag
>>
>>889238
Filson's been more fashion-oriented recently. You want wool stuff, buy vintage Pendleton. Waxed cotton, Barbour.
>>
What I need:
Outer shell w/ hood.
colors: preferably earth tones.
price range: ~$60 or less
What buy?
>>
>>890709

>>890659 here. I literally have zero complains with the T.A.D knock off. It was $40, but china has a sale every year on 11/11 so you can prob. snag it for even less. Just make sure you know your proper size, since they use asian sizing sometimes.
>>
>>885163
They waylay would stil get soaked if you are in the rain for an hour, besides that it is an awesome jacket. Fits great and not too cold or warm.
>>
>>864433
Swedish fleece
>>
>>853777
Hey guys poorfag here, while I was walmart I noticed
>pic related
>dickies canvas jacket

was 26 dollars. I was thinking of using it with my layer clothing (with shell) for when I am /out/ or just regular use in city. for 26 dollars I didn't think it was bad deal. Is this ok for the price or is there any other recommendations?
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 90

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.