[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are sleeping bags supposed to be this big?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: KIMG0155[1].jpg (797KB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0155[1].jpg
797KB, 1920x1920px
Are sleeping bags supposed to be this big?
>>
Cheap ones are.
>>
File: Muh Sleeping Bag.jpg (2MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Muh Sleeping Bag.jpg
2MB, 2560x1536px
>>853224
Don't use military sleeping bags.

Sure they are cheap, warm and durable, but they are also heavy and spacious.

You are better off buying a quality civi bag second hand like I did. Pic is of a sleeping bag I bought from a Salvation Army Store.
>>
>>853224
I bought this one and it works great for me so far
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SKDU554/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>853320
>>853323
These look good and save space. Thanks
>>
File: 566-19_1_hires.jpg (601KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
566-19_1_hires.jpg
601KB, 1600x1600px
>>853224
Military bags are very heavy and bulky. Mainly because the infantry travels with a giant support contingent which you most likely wont have.

I'd reccomend something like https://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaineering-20-Degree-Sleeping-Regular/dp/B00G6HUDQM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473350534&sr=8-2&keywords=alps+sleeping+bag and maybe a medium sized compression bag or (and I'll get flak for this) a medium weight dry bag that can be used as a compression bag.
>>
>>853375
I've been using an Alps Mountaineering zero degree sleeping bag for a couple of Seasons now I'm very happy with it
>>
>>853323
The insulation is cotton for this one, which means it won't insulate well and will sap warmth from you when wet. You'll be fine in very warm situations (as it stated it's 50F) but it's not the safest thing imo- you never know when you'll get soaked thru and need to spend the night out. If I were going for something in this temp range, I'd just grab a shitty polar fleece blanket.
>>
>>853320
>second hand
>actually wanting other people's cooties

I hope you boiled it.
>>
>>853224
>Are sleeping bags supposed to be this big?
depends on the quality and the temperature rating.
that's about the size of my down winter bag in a compression sack.
>>
i bought one once that came in a small sack bag, and i had to really roll it tight to get it inside the bag after i took it off, looks like you could get a strong nylon or another good material small sack style backpack and shove it in rolling it tight and tying the backpack cord around it to make it even smaller
>>
>>853444
Don't roll bags, it can make cold spots over time. Stuff them.
>>
>>853397
Yeah, its basically just meant for spring-early fall.
But it works well for when I actually use it. For winter iv'e got an old mummy bag I got a long ass time ago that still works well.
>>
>>853459
Agreed. Down especially. I always try to hang mine/lay mine out as much as possible too. Get home from a trip? Hang it asap. Get to my campsite for the night? Lay it out asap. Definitely try to lay it in the sun too- if it's dry and the suns out when I'm setting up camp I'll put my bag on top of my tent until it gets dark out.
>>
>>853320
>Don't use military sleeping bags.
as a general rule that may be true, but as you should all know there's always some exceptions.
the warmest bag i personally have ever slept in was a military bag on a night close to negative 30° F.
many of today's military forces are more high tech than many civilians realize.
now having said all that the chances of scoring one of those is probably small unless you're actually in the military.
>>
>>853320
>Anonymous 09/08/16(Thu)15:32:46 No.853
>Don't use military sleeping bags.

Most of the times you are right, especially when its an older model. But often newer bags are high quality 4-season bags from good civilian manufacturers. i can only speak for the German forces, but the new sleeping bag is a debranded carinthia defence 4. If you can get a hand on one look the specs up. It is of course heavier than a 3 season bag.
>>
>>853224
Depends, I live in the north of Norway so I use a sleeping bag that can easily tank -40c, on itself. Fairly big, but there are way smaller version, wont take the cold as easy, but still works great if you have a fire.
Main reason why I got the sleeping bag is because I mainly use the sleeping bag during winter. For summer/fall you can get away with something like a jerven.
>>
>>853320
Fuck that, ALWAYS get military bags. Why? They're not made in fucking China, that's why.
>>
Consider getting a down quilt. They pack really small, are just as warm, and save on weight and money because they cut out the useless bottom section, zipper, and hood.
>>
>>856598
>because they cut out the useless bottom section, zipper, and hood.
never been /out/ in below freezing temperatures.
>>
File: 20160914_113552.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160914_113552.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>857019
Even below freezing I can see that being cold.

Anyways I just tested out muh new mountain hardwear lamina z flame 22 degree bag in 55 degree weather and i was not cold but I was far from toasty. This seems like a major flaw considering I'm intending to use it in near freezing temperatures
>>
>>853411
> buying military is not second hand
> military don't have stds
>>
>>853459
How? What should I do?
I honestly felt like rolling them was the best way to keep them good and was space efficient.
Honestly curious here
>>
>>857019
Sure I have, did a month of winter hiking on the AT last year with my quilt, slept like a baby. They keep you just as warm as any bag
>>
>>856598
>save on weight
yes dey do
>save on money
what? Those things ain't cheap homie. If I'm dropping $400 on a new bag, I wouldn't worry about $10 extra for a zipper

That said, definitely approve of the quilt approach. Do you use pad straps?
>>
File: 61JiZ6EG3pL._SL1000_.jpg (119KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
61JiZ6EG3pL._SL1000_.jpg
119KB, 1000x1000px
>>853224
Depends on the temp rating and how much you payed for it OP.
>>
I have an extreme cold weather Milsurp sleeping bag. Is it really too shitty to want to use it in extreme cold weather?
>>
>>857055
I actually just stuff it all in my pack. I have a garbage bag to line the bottom of my pack and keep my dry stuff dry. But my bag just gets shoved to the bottom. It fills out all the nooks and crannies in my pack.
>>
>>854130

dude you can buy a modular sleep system on amazon for less than $100
Milsurp is cheap and readily available
But it is definitely heavy
>>
>>857218
the "patrol bag" from the modular system is a pretty decent/light/cheap/definitely robust sleeping bag. I own one and prefer it to things that I've bought that are double the price... that said double the price is like $80
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.