[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

External vs Enternal Frame

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image-56.jpg (96KB, 660x491px) Image search: [Google]
image-56.jpg
96KB, 660x491px
I'm about to get into back-packing, and of course, I need a back-packing backpack. One of my biggest questions regarding backpacks is if I should get a pack with an internal or external frame. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
>>
I am a big fan of external frame backpacks, but there are some pros and cons. An external is wonderful at distributing weight and makes carrying things a breeze. You can strap loads of shit onto it so you can easily become a human pack mule. The frame also keeps the pack away from your back so they breathe very well, which is a huge plus for someone like me who sweats a lot. They also have the "classic" look if that's your thing. They also aren't super popular nowadays compared to internals, so you can usually get them extremely cheap and in good condition if you go the used route. I have a Kelty Yukon that was in pretty much new condition that I bought for $30 on ebay.
However, they are not perfect, of course. They are very bulky, so they take up a lot of space, which is not ideal if you are going through areas with lots of low hanging branches or tight spaces. They also tend to load a little top heavy unless you are very careful with how you load things in the pack, so they are not very ideal for rock climbing or overly craggy terrain, as they can fuck with your balance a bit in those situations. But if you want to carry a lot of gear, they are wonderful, So I think they are nice if you are a hunter or if you are a backpacker/hiker (if you aren't part of the ultralight crowd).
>>
>>851273
Internal frame is lighter and more compact but if it breaks (which it can easily) you need to buy a complete new pack

External are a little heavier and bulkier but are cheap and easy to fix and more durable

In terms of how much you can carry internal frames especially expedition packs can carry more than you'll need, but with external frames you can strap a lot more to the outside of your pack making it more accessable
>>
>>851283
That first sentence isn't true, a lot of internal frame packs can be repaired by either the manufacturer or a gear shop. If the frame breaks most manufacturers will send you a new one.

Externals are easier to repair DIY style, but to say you can't fix an internal pack is inaccurate.
>>
Generally external frames are unbeatable in weight distribution and practicality but are heavier and bulkier than internals.
Comfort is preferance
>>
What do you all think about Alice - Large?
>>
>>851679
I have 2 Large ALICE packs and a Medium. They're not for me. Comfort was my main issue. They're great for the price point, but overall I just didn't care for the setup. Got a big Kelty internal and absolutely love it.
>>
>>851679
Works for me
>>
I've been looking at the Alice packs. I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on one, but I think that I'll end up doing it.

The only downside to the pack is the price is climbing because "m-muh bug out bag, m-muh survival bag, m-muh SHTF."
>>
>>852473
I mean, alices are ok but there's a bunch of guys out there buying them. That means the price is kinda inflated for what it is- an outdated milsurp pack. Don't get me wrong, they're bombproof and will do the job, I just think you could get something much cheaper, more comfortable, and you'd have a little more choice if you just hunt for used external frame packs on ebay.

Also MUH BAG.
>>
I'm a big fan of external frames. I have a 40L external and the amount of things I can strap on and carry compared to internal frames is great.

Cons? Heavy, clunky, a pain in the ass working mine on if it's not on a raised area or I have someone helping me out.
>>
>>852655
I love them too. There are some surprisingly decent technique tutorials (I read one in Modern Hiker's Bible that I use) for getting that heavy pack on. It might seem like you've thought of everything, but these guys get pretty crafty. I'd recommend giving it a google.

Common wisdom is that
>heavy load= external frame
>light load= internal or frameless
that said, even when I'm on a more minimal gear hike (lighter load) I like my external. I've got an old Camptrails that I've tricked out. Bought materials off a diy site and made a dope sternum strap, sleeping bag straps and replaced the shoulder straps. Looking at getting a new hip-belt.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.