[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Apologies if this seems like an /o/ question, but all the "truck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 12

File: grilldeerguards.jpg (46KB, 600x325px) Image search: [Google]
grilldeerguards.jpg
46KB, 600x325px
Apologies if this seems like an /o/ question, but all the "truck guys" I've asked this to are either clueless or give extremely stupid advice. I figure the fellow rural posters here might have some actual experience.

I live in a very out-of-the-way area. As summer winds down and fall approaches, I've been seeing between 4 and 7 deer on or beside the road per DAY - sometimes I have to honk at them to get them out of where I park. I also see moose with some frequency, and even bighorn sheep with lesser frequency.

I have only been living here for about half a year, but while I love it, it's making me increasingly nervous. The speed limits around here are typically 70 miles an hour, and if they weren't, you'd never get anywhere. Simply driving slow everywhere isn't a realistic option - but I worry that it's just a matter of time before I catch a deer in my headlights at night (I have to drive around at night for work).

Are there any deer/grill guards that actually WORK? So many are flashy trash for 19 year olds that don't actually work. I've had mechanics tell me I'm better off without one, even ones secured at 4 points on the body. Is there a guard out there that will stop body damage at, say, 60 mph if you hit a deer? I expect some body damage if I hit a moose, those things are fucking huge.

If not, anything else I can do? Install a loudspeaker on the top of my truck and loop sounds of lions roaring?
>>
File: ARB-2013-Ford-bumper.jpg (110KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ARB-2013-Ford-bumper.jpg
110KB, 800x600px
>>850012

ARB makes probably the best bullbar/winch bumper but they are pricey. The build quality is second to none though, you could probably blast through a deer with next to zero damage and they are modular, meaning if you were to somehow even manage to damage the bumper by hitting something enormouse like a moose, you would only have to replace that part of it and not the whole bumper itself.
>>
File: DSC_0512_.jpg (48KB, 372x304px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0512_.jpg
48KB, 372x304px
>>850012
If you smoke a deer/elk at 70, or even 60/50, it's going to hurt no matter what kind of bumper you have. I'd say the majority of the damage at those speeds comes from the animal being thrown over the hood and into the windshield rather than just the damage to the bumper/radiator/engine/etc.

Got a custom bumper on the F550.... 1/4" steel, heavy-wall tubing. Fucker's stout. Smoked an elk at about 35 last fall, tweaked the bumper down about 1". But that's a serious bumper on a lot more truck than a typical half-ton (or even 3/4-ton).

>Install a loudspeaker on the top of my truck and loop sounds of lions roaring?
Kek... so
>be me, 12-ish years ago
>test driving a pickup available in town
>good condition overall, priced right, but long-bed standard-cab and was looking for extended-cab short-bed
>see box with two dials under dashboard
>one dial is a standard off/volume
>other dial selects between "Fox", "Duck", "Frog", "Chicken", "Horse", "Cow", among others
>speaker under the hood somewhere
>pick the animal, turn up the volume, you get animal sounds through that speaker
I don't think it had "Lion" though.

Make sure your insurance is paid up, and pay attention on the road.
>>
>>850034
>damage at those speeds comes from the animal being thrown over the hood and into the windshield
this guy gets it. also, having a big old ungulate fly through your windshield at speed will rek you pretty good. I'd say mad max your truck and put some slat armor over the windshield
>bonus
RPG resistance
>>
>>850012
Personally, I'd just go bull bar. Save your radiator. Unless you go custom, brush guards are pretty weak near the headlights.
>>
>>850012
Pretty much what everyone is saying.
The one you want will take you and 3 friend to get mounted.
And costs more than I payed for my truck.
It will make you truck handle differently- its a lot of weight on the nose.
Best thing is a bullbar and a lift, so you hopefully go over it instead of sending it into your windshield.
>>
There's not much you can do. Bodywork by Bambi is just part of living in the country.

>>850034
>>850038
>having a big old ungulate fly through your windshield at speed will rek you pretty good
A guy I work with is paralyzed because a deer flew through his windshield.

I hit a deer while I had a snow plow on the front of my truck. It didn't do any damage to the truck itself but it did rupture a hydraulic line and the plow never did work quite right after that.
>>
Get whatever the Ozzies use as 'roo bars.

Basically, drive anywhere outside of a city in Australia and you WILL hit multiple kangaroos, without the option of stopping for repairs. Whatever they use works.

Obviously it might work a little less well against something moose sized!
>>
Just had my truck fixed from deer damage. $4800 worth of damage, and almost all of it was on the side of the truck, since he ran into my passenger door. His ass end spun around and hit the side of my headlight, sending deer shit spraying.

I've hit 3 deer in the last 10 years. Keep a low deductible on your comprehensive coverage. If you do hit a deer hard, your expensive bumper will be trashed, and your insurance probably won't cover the cost to fix the bumper unless you have a specific clause for aftermarket parts (which costs extra).

Hitting a deer with an expensive bumper just means you now have a broken truck and a broken expensive bumper. They will prevent damage on only the most minor deer collisions.

I've have a friend who manages a body shop and has told me there's often MORE damage when they have a big aftermarket bumper since that thing gets pushed back and smashes up the body behind it.
>>
Grill guard won't do shit against moose. Need a full roll cage.
>>
>>850012
Big fan of the ranchhand guards. Very useful, but i don't like the looks
>>
File: SnowPlowC_Feature_618x278.jpg (48KB, 618x278px) Image search: [Google]
SnowPlowC_Feature_618x278.jpg
48KB, 618x278px
>>850012
Get one of these. Get your go pro ready because at 70MPH you'll be laughing your ass off when he zings off at 30 degrees into the other lane
>>
Most bullbars are actually terrible because they transfer most of the stress directly to the frame. Modern vehicles rely on the bodywork too to absorb and dampen shock, if you transfer all the load exclusively through the bullbar you have a chance of fucking your chassis.
>>
Invest in some good breaks and use your high beams whenever you can. All I can really suggest.
>>
File: i-Kjpf4tr-L.jpg (51KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-Kjpf4tr-L.jpg
51KB, 800x600px
Or if you've got a lot of money to burn, FLIR makes some vehicle-mounted IR camera systems. See heat, not light.

>Fuck deer. Caught bambi suckin on a tit in the middle of the road.
>>
Deer whisles

Bumper cage isnt going to do shit other than save you some body work
>>
>>850027
If he hit a moose his car is totalled. They can stop semis
>>
File: stinger-bumper.jpg (197KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
stinger-bumper.jpg
197KB, 600x400px
>>850012
On the Jeep forum, some of the Jeepers have claimed that their stingers have protected their Jeeps from deer that they've hit.

Their intended use is to stop the Jeep from doing an endo and landing on the lid when going down extremely steep descent, and sometimes to give a surface that the rear can push up a ledge to get the front tires up, but I can see them throwing a deer underneath.
>>
>>850209
For the most part but there are exceptions. My dad took out a moose with a Chevy Lumina. It went up and over the hood, it didn't die but it was immobilized. A police office came by and finished it off with a shotgun.

Car was marked as totaled but he bought it back from the insurance company, had an autobody shop push the roof back up and fix the dents and we drove it for another couple of years.
>>
File: 1468548583158.png (33KB, 292x209px) Image search: [Google]
1468548583158.png
33KB, 292x209px
>>850167
Good stuff.
>>
>>850012
why the fuck are you honking at deer? obviously you live in a awesome place you get to see that sort of thing dont ruin it for the rest of us.
in any case, deer are a major hassle on dark two lane 70 mph highways. your best bet is to buckle up and take one of these anons suggestions on a bull bar or full grill guard and hope for the best also just drive fuckin slower at night man, do you want to get there in one piece or do you not?
>>
Invest in some quality extra high beams instead of a grill guard. Also slow the fuck down at night. You're gonna have real bad time hitting a deer or even worse a moose at 70 mph. Having a bumper doesn't help much when it falls on your hood and comes to say hi to you straight through your windshield.

They're most active at dusk and dawn. So especially at those times slow down considerably.

I don't know about the regulations or traffic in your area but if you can good high beams are by far the best way to make driving at night actually tolerable. Nothing like having 400 m of lit up road in front of you.
>>
>>850012

My father in law used to smoke deer all the time here in western Canada. He got heavy duty frame mounted aluminum brush guard on both his trucks.

If he saw a deer run in front of him he'd speed up, the intention being to bounce the animal farther from the vehicle after impact. Quite often the animal would spin if it hit on a side. He had a few dents and scratches near the back wheels as a result, but he never had one make his truck un drivable.

Well, except for the first one he hit when he moved to the country. He had no brush guard and it took out his radiator.

AFAIK he never hit any moose.
>>
>>850332
This, especially because moose eyes don't reflect light.
>>
>>850321
>why the fuck are you honking at deer?
So Joe Schmoe behind me doesn't get durr through his windshield.
>>
>>850332
I've driven around with NODs on before. I could see everything around me plain as day, but the 40 degree FOV and reduced depth perception was a bit of an issue.
>>
>>850382
Your father in law is an idiot.
>>
>>850754
That's Albertans for you.
>>
>>850145
This is true- and I suggested a bullbar and lift- but it depends on the vehicle.
Get a '79 bronco with a bull bar bolted to the frame and some attachments at the top to the radiator core and the damage will be nothing.
Do that on anything '97-ish on and instead of the bodywork absorbing the damage you just roached a frame.

>>850219
Its like an aerodynamic snowplow (from the deer's perspective) never thought of that.
>>
>>850012
You will bend the truck frame if something else isnt bent. Hitting deer is a fact of life in the country. Slow down and stay alert.
>>
>>850012
Bars are there to allow you to drive after you hit something, there's still going to be plenty of shit fucked up and repair work to be done but hopefully no holes in your radiator so you can get home.

>The build quality is second to none though, you could probably blast through a deer with next to zero damage
If that were the case then the bar would simply be transferring the damage to your car and you'd probably end up with bent chassis rails, the idea of a bar is to take the damage before it transmits to your car, ie Damaged bar, not damaged car. Same principal as crumple zones and the squishy guy behind the seat.
>>
>>850012
Just swerve
>>
File: roobar.jpg (67KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
roobar.jpg
67KB, 640x480px
>>
>>850064
>>850332
>>851104
If you're driving through Aussie and see a roo in your high beams, dip your lights.
The high beam blinds them and they can't see an escape route.
Dipped lights let them see where they're going (like they do with and on coming car) and they get out of the way.
>>
Hey OP, I might have the solution.

Have you ever seen those pranks on youtube where people connect some horns under their car to a compressor and scare the shit out of people? I'll give you a link so you can see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icnRMW6P9nc

The point is, If you install one of these onto your truck, it could possibly be loud enough to scare any animals away if they are in your line of sight or if they are trying to charge your car (moose).
>>
>>850012
>I have only been living here for about half a year
Fuck off; we're full.
>>
Sell you truck, buy a Camaro! Took Bambi out with my 89 IROC-Z Camaro. Was going 60, but probably hit at 45-50. Luckily he went under. Luckily the only damage was minor scratches and blood splatter. I realize how lucky I was. Car could have been totaled.
>>
>>850012
You either need to spend money or build one of your own.
The cheap ones will fold up right into your radiator/lights and cause much more damage than no cow catcher at all. Build it sturdy and either make sure it's straight or slightly angled forward to shove the animal under or over.
>>
>>850382
This works well for deer if you're driving a truck. Don't slow down, and hit them straight on. If you hit them on the side they'll rip up everything. Generally hitting them in the center either throws the deer away or puts it under the truck.
>>
>>851216
They already have those, saw em in Canadian Tire yesterday. Called a save-a-deer whistle

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00DCJTMHS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473034562&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=Save+a+deer+whistle&dpPl=1&dpID=21Y-Js2sxUL&ref=plSrch
>>
>>851339
>89 iroc-z camaro
>he went under.

That wasn't a deer dude, it was a cat.
>>
>>851104
pill up or pull out
>>
>>851508
Could've been a deer in the south.
>>
>>850058
Going over a deer at 60mph is going to end a lot worse than a deer going over you.
>>
>>851549
If you are in a car, maybe. If you are in a real SUV or truck, fuck no. A deer in your face at 70mph is death.

Just don't drive some soccer mom shit.
>>
File: Brush_Engine.jpg (279KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Brush_Engine.jpg
279KB, 1280x720px
>>850145
>Most bullbars are actually terrible because they transfer most of the stress directly to the frame.

This is complete nonsense, the body panels of a truck are weak as shit, you can literally dent them with a punch.

Besides, any critter big enough to fuck up the _frame_ of a truck, is going to absolutely destroy the entire truck regardless of any grill guards...
>>
File: typical durr.png (357KB, 522x320px) Image search: [Google]
typical durr.png
357KB, 522x320px
>>851124
>Dipped lights let them see where they're going (like they do with and on coming car) and they get out of the way.

That might work with roos in Straya but N.American deer are among the stupidest fucking animals on the planet.

They'll be standing off the side of the road in the grass and brush where you can't see them but they see your headlights coming from way off and they do what prey animals normally do; freeze.

But as you get closer and they hear your truck, they get more and more scared until you're almost upon them, whereupon they panic and jump from the side of the road right in front of you like the retards they are.
>>
>>851626
Even in the middle of the fucking day they'll do it. I almost hit a deer pulling into my driveway today because it ran in front of me at the last second.
>>
File: 654654654.jpg (36KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
654654654.jpg
36KB, 480x360px
>>851627

Yup, if the deer is facing the woods, he'll jump into the woods away from you as you come up on him but if he's facing the road, he'll just stand there until the very last second, then jump right in front of you...
>>
>>851626
>but N.American deer are among the stupidest fucking animals on the planet.

They are just as stupid in Aus.
>Deer starts running down the road in front of car
>Stop car
>It stops
>Drive
>It runs again
>Repeat above
Ok enough of that game
>Overtake deer
>Look in the mirror
>It finally decides to get off the road
>>
>>851621
He's right though anon, if you look at the attachment points of bars, they should have a crumple zone right before the junction with the chassis rails, some of them don't and this can mean the difference between a grill/radiator/support/condensor etc and a car if your chassis rails get shunted - although with the way insurance work is, most people these days would probably prefer the car as a write off.
>>
Above all else, I think it was the quick reaction time that saved the van from being a total loss. Before you invest in a bumper modification, I'd say make sure you got great tires and great brakes, and make sure you've had some coffee or whatever so you're awake when you drive. :3 This will save you from a lot, not just deer.

I don't know if a bullbar or such will help much, or how much if at all, but I know that I hit a deer with a Dodge Grand Caravan (1998) back in like, 2010. It was horrible, screwed up the hood, headlights, etc. And I was literally living out of that van at the time so I had to just patch everything together with glue and tape the best I could, and screw it all back together.
I managed to get where I was going on that leg of my journey, and then patch it up a bit more, even managed to find some headlights at a junkyard for like $20. I was lucky it didn't puncture the radiator or anything. Hitting a deer will fuck up almost any vehicle, in at least one way.
I have unreasonably good eyesight, had just replaced the brake pads, and replaced the tires. I was able to see the fucker and slam on the brakes quick, and I think that's what saved the van, and me, from being totally fucked.

Man though, I think I'm being infected with redneck germs or some shit... cause I do want a bull bar for my F150 if I decide to keep it... they just look cool. I want a winch on the bumper too so next time I stick it in the mud off the side of the road like a dumbass I can have it pull itself out. Not sure if I'll bother getting either though, I'll probably be trading that truck for one with an extended cab or maybe just trade for an E150 high top van. I don't actually use the 'truck bed' portion of it ever, I've realized.
>>
>>850754

He found something that successfully protected his truck from becoming inoperable if he struck a deer. If that's your definition of idiocy then the problem lies with you.

>>850766
I'm crying here. You're breaking my heart!
>>
>>850128
Please do this for the deerless folk
>>
>>850012
>I've been seeing between 4 and 7 deer on or beside the road per DAY

It's like this everywhere. Why you still need a hunting license to legally kill them at this point is beyond me.
>>
>>850012
Find some one who does metal fabrication. They'll make you something that'll work.
>>
>>850012

I have a buddy who got a custom brush guard that is so tough the only time he managed put a ding in it the airbags deployed, but that doesn't mean much since the real danger comes from deer going up into the cabin. We have boat loads of deer here and I've hit my fair share but really it's not hard to avoid them if you have good brakes and are paying attention. I did clip a deer going 70mph a few days ago cause the jackass farmers plant 6 inches of the damn road and a doe popped out of the corn at the last minute. Somehow the only damage I got was popping out a small decorative strip, and this was in my dads minivan with no guard.

I would just get a heavy brush guard and practice safe driving.
>>
>>850012

>see deer ahead
>pull handbrake, turn wheel full lock
>HANDBRAKE TURN
>car spins round, smashes deer with rear end
>no risk to driver
>kids in backseat are dead though
>>
>>850128

https://youtu.be/rGJ0fJN10YY
>>
Would it be possible to put a cage like thing over the windshield to prevent animal bodies going through, or would this be illegal as visibility is compromised?
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.