[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Winter Camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Flatirons, Boulder Colorado.jpg (571KB, 1968x1310px) Image search: [Google]
Flatirons, Boulder Colorado.jpg
571KB, 1968x1310px
The season is approaching and it will be the first time working outdoors in the winter. I've got a basic knowledge of winter camping but what tricks and strategies do you employ to make your time in winter camping not suck
>>
>>849150
I'll be working in the woods leading trips for a week at a time. up in and around Algonquin park in Ontario
>>
>>849157
Ay yo I'm hunting around there in November
>>
>>849150

Dress well and accordingly, your well being is directly proportional to how well you layer and the quality of your clothes.

Always bring a good outdoors coat for when you stop, or even one of those fancy canada goose parkas.

Bring a good reliable axe or big knife to chop small logs for fire

Bring many lighters and maybe matches and the ferro rod.

Always eat before sleeping.

If your fingers are freezing even with gloves on, try covering your face.

Always wear good sunglasses or even blizzart glasses.

Bring a good hat.

Rubber boots are usually the best for frozen environments. Dont buy into the cold mountaneering boot meme for the woods.

Buy some cheap finn boots online, they know what's best
>>
>>849159
My outfitter isn't sure where we will be for winter yet but right now I'm in and around Tim river/Magnatewan Lake and Rain Lake

our outtfitter is in Katrine and we drive through Kearney
>>
>>849160
we actually use flint, steel, and charcloth for fires. ive got a decent coat but open to suggestion on what you'd suggest for a winter coat or for that matter a winter sleeping bag.

I've got an exped Downmat 9 (-36.4F/-38C) for my sleeping pad and a minus -4F/-20C bag, but i think my bag might not be warm enough for what we will be doing. We will be sleeping under tarps outdoors
>>
>>849170

When I was in finland I'd use a good warm arcteryx long sleeve shirt, a nice softshell jacket as mid layer, and a sweet häglofs hardshell for the outside layer.

With that I was comfortably warm (not hot, mind you) when walking. I used a canada goose parka for when shit got real at night and I stopped.

Mamut makes the absolute best cold sleeping bags. They're fibre, so they're heavier, but much better because they dry quickly. A sleeve or fleece for the sleeping bag is also recommended, so that gets soaked instead of the bag when you wake up.

If your bag isnt warm enough you can always sleep with clothes or bring "pijamas" clothes just for sleeping.

Also ALWAYS leave the clothes you'll put on the next day INSIDE the sleeping bad. They'll freeze otherwise, and it's very, VERY unpleasant to put frozen clothes on
>>
>>849174
yeah usually what ill do is put my sleeping thermals in the foot of the bag after i set up and then change into them right before i get in. and i use my clothes compression sack as a pillow inside the hood of my mummy bag. i might bring my bivy sack to prevent my bag from getting wet while sleeping, it'll also add some warmth.
>>
seriously tho, how bad does one need a winter sleeping bag to go /out/ in winter?

a tent will protect against windchill, and let's say it's -10 C at night. if the sleeping bag won't do it on its own you could just sleep in wool socks and thermal underwear?
>>
>>849213
if last winter here was any indication of what this one will be like. it was regularly -25 to -35 C at night.

for personal trips yeah a tent can help against some wind chill but that wind will cool the warm air you establish in your tent through the thin membrane of the walls/fly and if you don't have a great sleeping pad you'll lose a lot of heat through the ground
>>
>>849159
Same-ish, looking forward to arctic fox hunting up there
>>
>>849213

My advice is this: dont risk it.

Never.

Things can get very serious and unpleasant. Never think nature will adapt to you, it is the other way around.

Do whatever crazy things you want, but never be unprepared or badly equipped
>>
>>849213
If your sleeping bag isn't rated down to the temperatures that you'll be experiencing, bring extra bedding anon. A few heavy blankets along with your sleeping bag can help you endure colder temps. This obviously doesn't apply if you're backpacking. For that, you just need to pony up the $$ for some good gear. I've been too cold camping anon, and it's no fun.

Also, cold ground can suck the heat out of you. If you can't get enough insulation between you and the ground, get a cot.
>>
>>849150
I too am looking forward to some cold as fuck, camping. Gear wise, I'm all set. My only concerns and likely yours will be a water supply and fuel (wood or whatever) to have small fires for cooking and occasional warmth.

For me, I will set up camp within pine trees as there is a slightly warmer thermal gradient in a tree line. The tree line also serves as a wind break of some sorts. If I'm fortunate I'll find a stream or creak that isn't complete frozen solid to use as a water source which is located near a patch of trees. Bonus points: Easterly facing clearing for the off chance of a winter sunrise to warm the body in the am.
>>
File: DSC02626_-L.jpg (94KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02626_-L.jpg
94KB, 800x533px
>>849489
>tfw insulated trailer with a furnace or two and plenty of propane/battery (along with a generator if needed) to keep things running through the night or longer

I've done the winter-tent-camping thing in boy scouts... checked it off my list. Not something I enjoy.

Bring real firestarting equipment. Road flares work well, I carry a few of them. Firesteel, rub sticks together, whatever else you want... but have something that will start a fire when you need it and doesn't require a ton of time. Just assume everything you have available is going to be wet.

Water ... uhm, fucking snow?! Aluminum avalanche shovel blade over a fire will melt snow into good water.

Bring extra gear.... like socks and gloves. I've got a heated cubby in my sled that will dry out gloves that are damp... once they're soaked, they're done for the day. Usually keep one dry pair for the ride back to the truck.... there are days i'll soak 3-4 pairs of gloves.

LAYER. Avoid a single heavy-insulated jacket. Moisture-wicking base layer, wind-/water-proof outer layer, as-needed between the two.

Know where you're going, know how to navigate (for fucks sake, bring a map/compass and know how to use it... GPS is great, but batteries and cold don't work well).

Let someone know where you're going and when you'll check in or return. SPOT/PLB and a radio aren't bad ideas (also know how to use them and their limitations).

Avalanche gear/education if you're in that terrain.

Know your limits (and the limits of the group). Don't push too hard. A "bad day" in the summer means you're hiking out a few miles in the dark... a bad day in the winter means you're spending the night out there.... no "just hike it out" when there's a few feet of snow to trudge through.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.