[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

who is the greatest tv outdoorsman/survivalist/bushcrafter ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: 656566636565.jpg (199KB, 535x892px) Image search: [Google]
656566636565.jpg
199KB, 535x892px
who is the greatest tv outdoorsman/survivalist/bushcrafter?

picture not related
>>
ray mears

/thread
>>
Bear Grills
>>
Aron Ralston, aka the 127 hours guy
>>
File: 1442316729975.jpg (306KB, 1280x957px) Image search: [Google]
1442316729975.jpg
306KB, 1280x957px
>>848769
>>
get >>>/out/
all of you
>>
>bushcrafter
ugggh
>>
>>848769
Fred Bear
>>
Rudiger Nehberg.
>>
>>848854
this
these threads are cancer
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke
>>
ClayTallStories or Josh James Kiwibushman
>>
>>849052
I watch both of them but they are definitely not the greatest outdoorsmen
>>
>>848789
He got himself into that mess by being a retard, am I supposed to give him applause because he got rescued?
>>
>>848775
This
/thread
>>
>>848772

Seconding for Ray Mears
>>
>>849059

This. Being famous for being dumb. Well done, guy.

*slow clap*
>>
>>849008
>dick a tv personality
Fuck off

>>848772
Only correct answer
>>
>>849059
>because he got rescued
he rescued himself

breaking your own arm and amputating it with a dull pocket knife takes a lot of willpower, most people would just have remained stuck there and died
>>
>>849198
So after getting himself into an easily avoided situation, when at the very brink he did what any animal caught in a trap would do. How truly inspirational, a hero to us all.
>>
>>849205
>doesn't really know what happened to him or what he did
>yet you're still here and giving your comletely uninformed and worthless opinion¨

lel, average 4chan poster I guess, talking out his ass about stuff he doesn't know anything about
>>
>>849209
>Go off without telling anyone
>Overestimates his abilities like a dumbshit
>Get's his hand trapped with a big ass boulder
>Takes him days after he starts drinking his own piss to have the brilliant idea to cut off his hand. Somehow this didn't ever occur to him despite even dumb animals knowing to chew their paws off to get out of traps.
>Climbs back up, and barely manages to stumble into some swedes taking a vacation who end up rescuing him

Bravo, truly truly, I would look up to this man as the model of what should be done when out. Anyone who thinks otherwise must just have an uninformed and worthless opinion of this man and his great deeds. You got me good with that tongue lashing, I am really humbled.
>>
>>849216
you are making a big point about how stupid he was to get in the accident, and yes, he did a stupid thing

but that doesn't change the mental accomplishment of cutting off that arm, I don't think you comprehend what it actually takes

I mean, you repeat how animals will chew off their paws to escape, but that isn't even true for all animals as trappers regularly trap animals just by clamping over their paw.
And human beings are less keen than animals to cut off their arm. As I mentioned, the average Joe wouldn't amputate his arm, he'd just stay there and die. It takes immense willpower to do what he did.
>>
>>849221
So because he fucked up like an idiot, and then got desperate enough to do something he never would have had to do without being an idiot in the first place, he should be respected?

Yeah, not seeing it.

>As I mentioned, the average Joe wouldn't amputate his arm, he'd just stay there and die.
And you base that on what exactly? Your gut feeling that this guy is an special wellspring of superhuman willpower? Please. All animals, including humans, have a strong survival instinct that comes out in desperate situations. It's not special, it's not amazing willpower that only a few souls have, it's just a base instinct. Even the "average Joe" has it underneath their soft and squishy modern exterior.
>>
>>849230
everyone fucks up some times, it's fucking stupid, but no one is immune to making mistakes
he deserves criticism for getting into that position

but that doesn't mean that his self rescue isn't impressive, it doesn't take away his achievement, but you have a very black and white perspective on this where you can only look at it with an extremely negative and cynical point of view, just "oh wow he cut off his arm, big deal, anyone can do that"

you're a stereotypical armchair survivalist who thinks anyone can just do what he did..well that's easy to say until you're the one cutting through nerves and all that sensitive shit in your arm with a blunt knife.
Lots of people would just wait and hope for rescue, then be too weak to go through with it.
>>
>>849242
He confessed that he was dehydrated and delusional when he cut his arm off.

It isn't like he decided it'd be a great idea. Dude went mental after being stuck under a rock for three days and lopped his arm off in a fit of madness
>>
>what he did was amazing and special, when faced with momentary pain and a chance of living and near certain death most people would choose death
Look mate, no matter how much you keep repeating about how awesome it is that he cut off part of his arm and "rescued himself", it doesn't change the simple fact that survival instinct is practically universal. If living things didn't do just about anything it took to survive, they wouldn't be living things very long. If our ancestors just gave up and lay down to die every time they were faced with a bit of pain we wouldn't be here right now. So please stop going on about how "lots of people would just give up and die" as if it were a simple easy thing to choose.

>inb4 nuh uh I'm right and you're wrong
At least my claims are based on common knowledge and the instinctual behavior of nearly every living thing out there. What are your's based on again? Besides your continual insistence that what you say is gospel not to be questioned,
>>
>>848769
Mr. Rojers
>>
>>848769
Gary Paulsen, although not on TV.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.