[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would you buy as a survival knife?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 21

File: #fsdafsfs.jpg (24KB, 700x665px) Image search: [Google]
#fsdafsfs.jpg
24KB, 700x665px
>>
There's already a knife thread
>>
>>848555

Def not that shit gerber.

Dunno why they'd make a pummel that's made to hit shit with, not attack it to the tang.

Also shit tang.
Shit steel.
Crap serrations.

Sheath is kinds though.

Go get yourself a schrade, becker, esee, even Sog. Just stay away from Gerber, unless it is their shit from like 80s and really early 90s. Those ones are decent.
>>
>>848555
I wouldn't
Survival knives are for tryhard children who fantasize about non-existent survival situations because they have no control over their pathetic lives
>>
>>848555
A fully equipped M1 Abrams.
>>
>>848555
>not a full tang
>420hc shitsteel
>serrations

do you want a fedora with your "survival" knife ?
>>
The predecessor of OPs knoife. The real pilot's survival knife.
>>
>>848561
>not attack it to the tang.
I hate when they attack tangs man! Fuck those guys.
>Sheath is kinds though
Yes good old kind sheath.
>>
>>848555
>survival knife
this is still a thing, huh? and here i thought the '90s were over
>>
On topic:
Probably a large buck paklite skinner. No reason to choose a larger knife that I can think of.

Off topic:
When I was fifteen a friend of mine gave me some small throwing knives. I subsequently came up with the idea to file the knives down in such a way that they ended up barbed, and using them as spearheads for making fish spears. How retarded is this idea? I'm almost definitely not going to try it, but I'm curious regardless.
>>
>>848605
Psht, a fedora, what kind of man do you take me for?

I'll take a tactical survival trilby like a true gentleman!
>>
File: IMG_0286_zpsf75dea4c.jpg (347KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0286_zpsf75dea4c.jpg
347KB, 1024x768px
>>
>>848555
depends

what percentage am i sure of i'm gonna need it?
because cheap shit is fine if there is not much chance you will use it. even gerber shit if you get it real cheap. problem with gerber shit is it's not as cheap as it is shit. that is why people say don't fucking buy it not because it's so shit it's worthless or anything it's just overpriced.

i keep a mora companion in my kit. and in the off chance i will need a knife it would be a million times better than no knife. maybe a knife 10-20 times it's price would be even better by some degree, but in my eyes it's not justified.

if i was absolutely sure i have to rely on a knife for months or years for everything i might shop from the top shelve and look at certain other features a particular knife can offer.
>>
File: image.jpg (113KB, 640x935px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 640x935px
>>848672
Make the barbs on the spine near the tip, almost like the gutting knoifes.

>>848555
I'm sure that knife is fine OP. Don't pay any mind to all the knife collectors who shit on anything that isn't made of CUM1000V memesteel. Are there better options for more money? Sure. Are Gerbers better than the Chinese knife at the gas station? Yes. You can get better "Survival" knives but you will end up spending more money.
>>
File: 51HhvQfob8L._SL1024_.jpg (39KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
51HhvQfob8L._SL1024_.jpg
39KB, 1024x1024px
>>
>>848750
i never understood how could anyone like the kabar over the m3
>>
What the fuck? Survival knife? It's just a knife. Just use a kitchen knife or some shit. Hell, I made my first knife on my dad's grinder when I was twelve. It's just a knife.
>>
>>848757
I have a short kabar and I'd trust it if it was important
>>
File: 1427939765168.jpg (508KB, 1296x862px) Image search: [Google]
1427939765168.jpg
508KB, 1296x862px
>>848555
RAT/ESEE
>>
>>848555
This knife i good however I was able to break this knife. It is not full tang. It has plastic in the middle. If you break it Gerber will replace it.
>>
File: DSCF0648.jpg (620KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0648.jpg
620KB, 1600x1200px
That's one of the good LMF's because of the emblem on it. I have one and it definitely feels different than the Bear Grylls version they have out now.
>>
File: 71SIBssY86L._SL1500_.jpg (57KB, 1500x298px) Image search: [Google]
71SIBssY86L._SL1500_.jpg
57KB, 1500x298px
>>848912
This is the crappy version with the different emblem.
>>
>>848555
Svord VTB
>>
Because i like to abuse my tools, so i want a knife that can handle abuse.
>>
Get pic related.

Full tang
Hammer pommel
Steel bends rather than breaks
Easy to sharpen in an emergency

You know, theres a reason not only the Air Force but the Navy and the Marines issued it from the End of the 50s til the end of the 2010s.
>>
File: 755.jpg (14KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
755.jpg
14KB, 440x440px
>>849010
Fucking tablet.
>>
>>
>>848555
Fallkniven F1 probably.
>>
>>848757
Kabar USMC is more famous and available. Also, let's face it, people buying knives like this don't ever intend to just have one knife.
They probably want to buy at least a dozen different "meme knives" for their collection and then move on to other things.
>>
>>849010
>You know, theres a reason not only the Air Force but the Navy and the Marines issued it from the End of the 50s til the end of the 2010s.

(Mass production making a plentiful supply of them and lack of a need to move on to something different.)
>>
I guess a kitted out Mora Bushcraft

Fire steel and sharpener on the sheath
>>
>>849061
If it were shit as a survival knife, they wouldnt have made hundreds of thousands of them.

Air crews are worth lots of money in training and knowlegde. So why give them a barely useful tool to escape?
>>
>>849066
How often does a survival knife come into play and how good do you suppose it has to be?

Militaries don't issue their men with the best stuff as often as they do the cheapest stuff that meets minimum requirements.
>>
>>849063

I'd also go with an orange sheath and handle
>>
File: 1_1.jpg~original.jpg (109KB, 1023x567px) Image search: [Google]
1_1.jpg~original.jpg
109KB, 1023x567px
>>848555
>>
File: jx2.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
jx2.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
>>848555

i'd just take pic related off my knife shelf.
>>
>>849051
where am I supposed to keep my 3 emergency cashews if I don't have a hollow pommel
>>
I bought a Voyager XL for camping, haven't taken it yet.

Honestly, the $20 "Combat Knife" with a narrow tang has done everything I needed it to outdoors. I've taken it on who knows how many camping trips and the only time I had to sharpen it was when I bought it since it's made out of some sort of tool/pots and pans steel. What sucks is I couldn't sharpen it with anything less than dremeling for like 20 minutes. I imagine the voyager will replace it pretty well.
>>
I feel the need to offer my thoughts. The Gerber LMF 2, Prodigy and StrongArm are all made with 420HC stainless steel. Buck Knives and Leatherman multi-tools also use this same steel. This indicates to me that 420HC steel products are good quality at a good price. I own all three of the mentioned Gerber knives, I purchased Prodigy knives for several friends and family and have two Prodigy knives in emergency kits paired with Mora HD Companions. I feel that those two knives should effectively meet my needs in an emergency situation. The Prodigy has many positive reviews on Amazon, I agree with them and find the handle preferable to the StrongArm. Magnus Anderson of Sweden & YouTube greatly admires the Gerber Prodigy and uses it in the outdoors.

I am also tremendously happy with the Ontario Blackbird SK5 knife. I admire the simplicity of the design and find it to also be elegant. I am pleased with the 154 CM stainless steel, I also like the black G10 handles that are now standard. (It has the attributes of the Prodigy and Companion in one knife, but the two knives are more cost effective.)

I would readily choose either the Gerber Prodigy or the Ontario Black Bird SK5 as a knife in the wilderness.
>>
>>848561
i have the prodigy, which is the full tang version of that knoife. good knife. i could do without the serrations but it works well for me
>>
>>848761
>kitchen knife
almost all of them are very thin since they need to be good for slicing. great for cutting tomatoes, shit for any hard use scenario
>just a knife
nigga the single oldest tool in humanity's toolbox has so many variations it would make your head spin
>>
>>849011
>full tang
try rat tail tang
>muh military knife stronk
designed to be functional and cheap to produce. not a bad knife, but only ameriboos and people who haven't used a better knife recommend it
>>
>>850110
>>849051
joking aside, i was pretty seriously considering the Schrade SCHF1. it looked like a good quality version of those "tactical survival seal team 6 combat tanto tactical (again) semper fi" knives, but made out of a solid piece of steel.
>>
>>848555
Any decent puukko
I'd also bring a hatchet or atleast hatchet head + epoxy (useful for alot of things) so I could craft a handle myself
>>
>>850177
So hipster u hurts
>>
File: okc-bushcraft-field-knife.jpg (26KB, 400x450px) Image search: [Google]
okc-bushcraft-field-knife.jpg
26KB, 400x450px
I'm going to assume you have access to a hatchet or axe and thus don't need something that can chop.

For a long term survival situation you have to prioritize a steel being able to resist gross failure of any kind and being easy to sharpen with improvised sharpening tools.

An Ontario OKC bushcraft knife in 5160 fits the bill of having extreme toughness and sharpenability ,but without the absurd and often counterproductive blade thicknesses typically found in "survival" type knives.

If you need to chop, then just go to a bigger Ontario OKC in 5160.

Unfortunately, this sacrifices corrosion resistance, but we are still several years away from a nitrogen steel that can mimic 5160's properties while.being stainless.
>>
>>848555
Fucking shit knife, destroyed in less than a year. Get a becker.
>>
>>850218
>becker.

might as well get a brick and slightly sharpen the edges - better geometry.
>>
File: 2125KV_xlarge_60.jpg (46KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
2125KV_xlarge_60.jpg
46KB, 800x800px
>>848555
I didn't buy it, but I've been using this. Guy let me use it thinking he could resale it to me. When i brought it back, me and the knife were covered in blood and mud and one of the serration points were bent. I washed it off and tried to give it back but he told me to keep it.
>>
File: IMG_20160710_143755.jpg (866KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160710_143755.jpg
866KB, 2048x1536px
>>848555
>>
>>850218
>>850223

He asked for a knife, not a barely sharpened pry bar.

Watch this and learn why Beckers are competent worthless as knives:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krZJUj70r1c
>>
>>850245

*Completely. Damned phone.
>>
>>850245

That level of performance wasnt possible 100% until recently.

The future of the industry lies in thin knives
>>
>>850187
It's the /k/ommandos buying F/U knives from the last world war that are the real hipsters, I live in Norway and puukkos are found literally everywhere.
And our neighbour Sweden make really good axes that literally everyone uses.
>>
>>848689
geez.. talk about a meme knife $600+

>>850157
i like these CRK licensed knives, but i don't think i'd really use one for a 'survival knife'
the real deal ones are pretty hard to find now and pretty spensive

personally, i have an Emerson Police Utility Knife that i use fro innawoods stuff..
i got mine quite a while ago for around $150, but i think they are closer to about $250 now
great knife - full tang, blade is thick enough to not break, but not so thick that it has no practical use. keeps a pretty good edge
comes in plain edge or partially serrated

>Sweden make really good axes that literally everyone uses.
Granfors Bruks? or, just any Swedish axe?
>>
>>850249
I own both moras, and a GB hatchet. Love both.
Still would pick something else if given the opportunity (well, not the axe. But whole axe, not some retarded head only)
>>
Esse 6
>>
>>850190
>improvised sharpening tools
why wouldn't you pack a whetstone? some sheaths even have them integrated. c'mon
>>
>>850245
0/10
fifteen minutes of cutting kydex and TV cable does not prove thin blades are ideal for a situation where you'll do that 0% of the time. if i want to cut a tomato, i'll pick up a thin blade. I will not, however, pick up what is essentially a paring knife if i need to build a shelter or process even light wood
>>
>>850280

this only goes to show how little experience you have. 1/8'' thick O1, or A2, or even D2 with a good heat treat is more than enough for all your knife needs.

You need a 1/4'' thick knife exactly never.
>>
>>850280

Go ahead and see how many pictures you can find of 1/8" at the spine full tang fixed blades in A2, O1, M2, or 5160 you can find with gross blade failures.

I'll wait.
>>
>>850290

but anon...
what if I accidentally channel the spirit of youtubz and try to baton my 1/8'' knife through a huge fucking knot, like this?

https://youtu.be/RCQR6xymR2g?t=769
>>
>>850295
>and try to baton my 1/8'' knife through a huge fucking knot
i don't get this knot meme
wood is wood you can cut it any way you like.
>>
File: 1464014467724.jpg (361KB, 1544x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1464014467724.jpg
361KB, 1544x1024px
>>849010
also designed for fighting..

carry what you want but I like a functional knife in the woods. if you also want it to be MUH SURVIVAL KNOIFE then I end up with pic related
>>
never had any problems with RUI, this is my new one its slightly smaller than the previous one. never left me alone on my hikingtrips
>>
>>850776

except a knot is difficult to cut through. In the video I linked, Chris had no buisness trying to bato through that piece of wood with a 4'' blade, and ended up putting the knife under a ton of stress. It held, because A2 steel, and LT's heat treat is top notch.

>>850777

great choice.
>>
Tops BOB for general usage, with a small forest axe for general building shit.

Gerber myth skinning kit? not sure wtf its called. Comes with a small knife and a larger one with a gut hook. Sheath has built in sharpeners.

Ghrohmann #1 for skinning bigger shit.

The tops and the grohmann are both carbon steel, no clue what the gerber shit is
>>
>>850891
>no clue what the gerber shit is
you never know. it's chink mystery steel for a reason.
>>
>>850777
>slick handle
>no finger guard
wasted trips
>>
Is the ka-bar mark 1 alright for a survival knife? I'm in australia btw
>>
>>849162
>That grind
Don't tell me it is also meant to "chop"
>>
>>850980
Why do you need a guard? Planning on stabbing yourself? A guard just gets in the way and means you have less leverage over your cuts.

Slick handle? Opposed to what. It's micarta, rough sand it to 100-400 grit to preference.

Jesus...
>>
>>848561
>Dunno why they'd make a pummel that's made to hit shit with, not attack it to the tang.

it's for electrical insulation - it's aimed at army types who will poke and stab their knife into anything, using it as a pry bar etc.

I don't like the knife or anything, and gerber can pretty much fuck off in my experience, just explaining that design feature.
>>
>>850782

Deja de colgar tu puta mierda y comprate un cuchillo decente
>>
>>848605
>>851118

Too add to this, the LMF wasn't designed as a survival knife. It was designed to be a tool to allow someone to cut their was out of an aircraft. That's it. It's features are geared towards that, and they're apparently suited well enough for that task. Judging it as a survival knife is kind of pointless. If you want to judge an agress knife as a survival tool, look at the old pilot's survival knife (the Ontario), which was also designed to be a survival knife.

I don't like the knife very much (partially because I don't see a need for something to cut myself out of a downed aircraft), but that doesn't mean it's bad at doing what it was designed to do.
>>
>>851142

Stfu and write English.
>>
>>850980
>shit talking a knife designed by Mors Kochansky on /out/

u wat m8?
>>
>>851100

no, it's a regular scandi grind.

O1 tool steel can chop through small branches with no edge damage, but that's just ars pro arte.

First and foremost, it's a slicer, cuts wood really well, and has a great handle + great quality.
>>
File: morakniv.png (530KB, 1156x830px) Image search: [Google]
morakniv.png
530KB, 1156x830px
>>848555
/thread
>>
Is there anything actually wrong with Gerber's knives? I know they get a lot of hate for basically slapping Bear Grylls on half their stock and making that "survival" their gimmick to go with him, but is there anything that's actually low quality about their products?

I've never owned a Gerber of any kind buy I've broken/used up my fair share of gas station specials and groupon garbage knives and multi tools, it seems odd that they would put out garbage products when supposedly they have a decent reputation from before the BG bs.

Is it really just the wariness about a company slapping a name on their product explicitly so they can save money and drop the quality? I know I always think twice about why they bothered getting a big sponsor when a lot of their competitors built their reputation on quality alone.

Are they actually bad? They seem to use the same steels as companies like CRKT and OKC use and some of their designs seem too simple to fuck up.
>>
>>851314
God that bevels ridonculous, it looks incredibly easy to make sure your at the right angle while sharpening.
>>
>>851521
what's so ridiculous about it?

You just press it flat against a stone. Sharpening scandi grind knives is easy.
It's one of two bushcraft knives I use (whichever I feel like carrying on a given day), the other one is a more traditional drop point woodlore style knife.
>>
>>851521
if you're cutting wood scandi is what you want.
>>
>>851313
>implying anyone is free of criticism
Sure it's probably a phenomenal knife and works great for lots of folk, but for some it may not, they may not like the design. Though anon is fucking stupid, you don't stab with a bushy bushcraft knife
>>
>>851517
Their survival, outdoor and hunting knives are shit, the quality of the heat treat is poor and steel choice is bad for the price, they even offer a $200 in 420 steel, which is a steel for some crappy Chinese $10 knife, not a $200 tomahawk, they do offer it in 154cm which is a fabulous steel but you need US military credentials. The folders they make get real loose with light work, their multitools are OK, not bad, not good, very mediocre and unremarkable. Probably happened after they were bought out by Fiskars in i think 2010 or 2011 though i'm probably very wrong about the year
>>
>>851691

that's just it - he wasn't criticising, he was talking shit about a tried and true knife designed by someone with a ton of experience.

Regardless of wether he did, or did not know exactly what the picture was, he tried to look clever by pointing out what he percieved as flaws, which were obviously not flaws at all.
>>
>>851517
no, not necessarily

I have multiple gerbers including the evo and paraframe and have liked both

however ignore anything that pee guzzler is shelling
>>
>>851730
>pee guzzler

you'd think he'd advertise filter straws instead of knives...
>>
>>851737
>you'd think he'd advertise filter straws instead of knives...
that could actually work
i would definitely buy a straw he recommends for emergency usage
>>
>>848561
I have the knife and its a shit survival knife for all the reasons you pointed out. Another odd one is the serrations are put on the blade for left handed people... Which is odd as fuck since 90% are right handed.

The prodigy, and the strongarm are actually decent, but in general it's best to avoid the Gerber brand. Esee, Ontario, even sog are better...
>>
File: nnoz gerber2.jpg (25KB, 499x500px) Image search: [Google]
nnoz gerber2.jpg
25KB, 499x500px
I like my Gerber 2. I bought it like 12 years ago, so maybe it's better made th current ones?
I like the holster a lot - very safe, impossible to loose the knife, why so many good knifes have shitty holsters?
I love the grip, one of best grips I held, in my opinion.
The spike on the end of grip is silly & useless, yes, true.
Would I recommend it for outdoor? No, It's a bit to heavy & bulky for that, but that's just my personal opinion.
>>
>>851873
Hm, it says here it's made from 12C27 steel...
>>
File: 20160906_064431.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160906_064431.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
This ia my survival knife. A Marto Brewer. I got mine in 1986. Like most kids at the time, I got mine after watching First Blood. Its heavy, clunky to be wearing at the belt, restricts your movement, so I usually end up carrying it in my back pack. A smaller knife and a machete could do a better job. Have I ever got into a survival situation with it? Well, I managed to get myself lost in 87, after losing track getting up a mountain. It was getting dark and I was in a hurry trying to get to base camp. I had to spend three nights in the jungle. The Malaysian jungle is a real nightmare. But, I was carrying enough provision an they found me on the fourth day. Not really a survival situation, the knife did gave comfort. Psychologically that is. I recommend for mobility to get something smaller. But psychologically, a big knife just gives you a little advantage.
>>
>>851879
Yeah, they switched to 420hc a while ago, so the older knives are better.
For what it's made for, it's great... But it's made as a workforce survival blade, that can chew through a cobra attack chopper airframe.
We don't need electrically insulated knives in the woods. We don't need a glass breaker in the woods. We generally don't need a combo edge in the woods(carry one of each if you need to)
>>
>>851995
hehe I had a big old survival knife at that time, was Rambo inspired. Probably a cheap one, had a hollow handle with some kit inside, fishing line etc, a compass on the inside of the screw cap handle.
>>
>>850230
I have a knife just like that
>>
>>848555
>>848561
>>848610
>>848672
>>848689
>>848750
>>848757
>>848893
"Survival knife"
>>
>>851314
It's more of a man toy.
The design is less efficient than traditional ones.
>>
>>853277
Would buy though, cool as shit.
>>
File: main.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
main.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>853277

And you're speaking from personal experience, of course? Because this general statement sounds an awful lot like parroting typical internet bullshit.

I have both a jessmuk and a traditional, drop point scandi knife (pic related), and they are slightly different, but the jessmuk is far from a toy. It's actually an excellent knife (though expensive for what it is).

For one - it has the single most comfortable handle I have ever used on a knife. For another, when doing clearing cuts (such as when making stakes) and some notches, the wrist angle (as a result of the belly shape) is more comfortable, than with a straight edge.

It (jx2) is less effective at piercing with the tip (such as piercing hide), but slices remarkably well, because of the curved edge.

Being wide, it is slightly worse when a narrow blade is needed, and that's about it.

In all honesty - I use both of these knives (based on the mood that strikes me), and I would not say one is better, or more effective (overall), than the other.

Jx2 is a great knife, awesome quality, but If I have to be honest - you're paying about 50 bucks extra simply because it has pm101's logo stamped on it (that's marketing for you).

Not that it isn't worth the price, but If it was one of LT's own designs, and not hyped up by a few youtubers, it would probably land in the $180-200 range, instead of being $235+
>>
>>853297
looks like a useful blade shape, anon. All belly. But I think if I were to get it I'd prefer to have convex to scandi bevel.

What's the weight on it?
>>
Fallkniven F1. But In real life all you need is an SAK with a saw. So I`d say a victorinox farmer
>>
>>854398

240 grams, according to my kitchen scale (340 with the sheath).
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.