[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /out/'s opinion on DIY pallet houses? Are they suitable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 11

What is /out/'s opinion on DIY pallet houses? Are they suitable for wilderness/innawoods retreats? Or for long term/SHTF self-sufficiency even?

It seems all you really need to set the initial base up with these is some basic tools, maybe one or two volunteers and some time/proper devotion.

There's some neat possibilities here with the basic design imo considering how easy it seems to set up, for example you could build multiple units besides each other and then connect them with each other to get even more space as a result, effectively giving you a small house innawoods for peanuts which you would otherwise have to pay hundreds of thousands of bucks for
>>
Why don't you ask /diy/, they'll love this.
>>
File: Pallet House Build.jpg (283KB, 893x665px) Image search: [Google]
Pallet House Build.jpg
283KB, 893x665px
>>848098
I went straight to /out/ because i figured it was more related to the self-reliance/wilderness living theme, also there's already a lot of DIY home threads on there heh

Here's a nice vid i just stumbled across, it's really amazing what you can pull off just with some pallets and dirt lying around;

>This house was built in Chile in Mauco. The main structure is made entirely of wooden pallets, the insulation is made of straw and then is coated with a whitewash of clay and water. Next I leave you a photo video with details of all the construction only if you want to emulate the architect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_BYZ5jeqCE

But yeah, maybe crossposting this on /diy/ too is a good idea after all considering how slow this place can be sometimes
>>
>>848096
Cool. Wasn't aware this was a thing. Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>848098
Reeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

If he goes on diy with this. Im filling a container of imitation crab meat and dropping it on your fucking head.
>>
>>848096
Sounds dumb as shit. Like there are tons of more suitable, more robust, more readily available things to make a shelter than shipping pallets.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3008x2000px
>>848096
Pallet wood is actually very brittle and easy to break since its kiln dried quickly.

Log cabins are still the way to go for innawoods.
>>
>>848129
It's also often seen varying degrees of wear and neglect, often being already partially broken, rotted, or otherwise damaged. Not to mention it's a pain in the ass to transport in any real quantities.

So yeah, if you want to go with wood as a construction material, on site sourced logs turned into a cabin is probably the best bet.
>>
Why not just use lumber than?
>>
I hear pallets have chemicals that are bad for you in em
>>
>>848129
>actually very brittle and easy to break
Sure if you are ramming it with a fork lift.
Once its nailed in place is strong as hell.
Most of it is oak
>>
Coolest thing about this post for me is pallets are free where I live. Most folks use em' (along with tire filled with diesel) to start & fuel Bon fires.
>yup country asf
>>
>>848164
Most likely .Probably something like cyanide from pressure treatment or something
>>
>>848169
>Most of it is oak

Lol, no.
>>
>>848096
>a small house innawoods for peanuts

Sounds great, now tell me where to get free land that would allow this and you will be onto something
>>
>>848169
>Most of it is oak
If by oak you mean pine, yes, you're correct.
Pallets are nowhere near strong enough to use for a dwelling safely but you definitely have piqued my curiosity for a replacement shed as mine is shit.
>>
>>848096
>hundreds of thousands of bucks

I could build a medium sized 2 bed room 1 bath cabin for less than 100 grand including the foundation.

If I wanted a dry cabin on stilts I could probably build it for under 20k easy, or even just plop down a tuffshed or shipping container onto some gravel.

Cabins are not expensive. The kind of people who build thinks out of pallets are militant environmentalists that "can't stand to see another pallet go to a landfill" and are willing to use low grade materials just to prove how green they are to every coffee shop worker that will listen.
>>
>>848206
This.
>>
If you want to build a shelter innawoods, why would you purposely build it out of shit materials? Pallets don't make sense.

If you want to build a cheap shelter innawoods and have prioritized costs over quality, why pallets? Why not the natural material in the woods, that will provide an equally low-quality shelter for even less cost? Pallets don't make sense.

If you want to show people how cool it is to repurpose materials, why haven't you killed yourself with a coathanger yet? Pallets don't make sense.
>>
File: 1470459180569.jpg (783KB, 1024x671px) Image search: [Google]
1470459180569.jpg
783KB, 1024x671px
>>848096
>no.1 building material of choice for Mexicans.
>>
>>848295
>The kind of people who build thinks out of pallets are militant environmentalists that "can't stand to see another pallet go to a landfill" and are willing to use low grade materials just to prove how green they are

And what's wrong with that?
>>
>>848378
Essentially everything, theoretically nothing.
>>
>>848378
I'm a tree hugger.
But I'm also a realist.
Maybe in San Diego where the average temperature is a high of 72° and a low of 72° it would work (I swear I showed my friend the weather forecast and it said that for the next 10 days back in march).
But the amount of resources youd have to put into it to surpasses any time/money/effort or reduce/recycle/reuse shit youd save is on a scale of retardation that I don't have a meter for.
>>
keep the stupid ideas to pintrest
>>
>>848141
because it's called upcycling.

It's teh same reason earth ships had traction - by reusing something (TYRES) that had no other use you're maximizing the amount of use and energy throughput of that something.
>>
>>848378
he's no doubt the holier than thou my shit don't stink type of douche who thinks using recycled materials, or 'trash', in his home, beneath him.

As long as it is functional and safe to use whats' the problem with reusing shit
>>
>>848518
It is beneath me. I don't want to own a house made of garbage, I want a house that will outlast my grandchildren.
>>
File: pallet-fire1.jpg (30KB, 300x307px) Image search: [Google]
pallet-fire1.jpg
30KB, 300x307px
>nobody mentioning that pallets are incredibly flammable
Seriously, living in one of these would be crazy dangerous. They burn like paper.
>>
I'm building a garage right now that's similar in size to the op picture and I'm using normal materials from home depot and I spent about 2 grand, doing all the stuff myself, why tf wouldn't you work a mcjob for 12 weeks and just save that up. You can learn the stuff from YouTube and save on labor.
>>
>>848125
More readily available things? Like What? One of the real reasons to use pallets is that generally, as long as you are able to haul them they are free or extremely cheap, and since most stores that any receive any sort of shipments get pallets, they're exceedingly common. Most places are happy to give them away. When I worked as a dock worker at a small furniture store, we practically were dying to give them away. We knew this one guy by name who would come by in his pickup truck every other Saturday morning after we got new shipments just to pick up some of our old pallets.

If you don't mind the fact that the wood is a little brittle from being kiln-dried pine, pallets are a cheap and often free solution for somewhat-finished wood.

Also obligatory pallet safety link:
http://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-safety/
>>
>>848302
It's a lot easier to use a pallet than it is to process the number of trees you would need to make a similar size structure. Not to mention you need fewer tools to use pallets.
>>
>>848329
bro that's Rio De Janiero in Brazil
>>
>>848704
As already stated anything already on the land like lumber is a much better for something like this. Hell even regular building materials are more readily available, keep in mind redialy available is not the same as cheap.

>But they are free/cheap if you haul them away.
Right, but again, cheap is not the issue here. It's still a poor choice. I mean what are you going to do, go around driving from place to place till you find one that doesn't already contract out their pallet and waste disposal. Then picking up a few pallets at a time, hauling them back and forth from your innawoods build site, until you have enough to actually build something (which will still require a good bit of work since pallets are by no means wunder construction materials and need a lot of finagling to get to work as anything, let alone shelter.) Even then you'll still need to buy other construction materials to get a livable shelter.

Pallets are just a poor choice for this sort of project, if you want to do some trendy recycling project on the cheap for your flat, go ahead use pallets, but as a construction material they are pretty fucking shite. Their only real redeeming feature is that they are cheap, but even then materials sourced from the land are just as cheap (free) and more sturdy and dependable. If you can't even do the woodworking for a simple log cabin, how are you going to do the sort of construction to get a bunch of pallets into a house?
>>
File: cant-some1else.jpg (34KB, 420x336px) Image search: [Google]
cant-some1else.jpg
34KB, 420x336px
>>848329
That's not America! That's not even Mexico!
>>
>>848096
I thought using pallets was a good idea.

>be me
>remodel entire 2nd floor attic to make more living space
>buddy suggests using pallet wood for crawlspace "door", storage room door and some saloon style doors for a closet
>they turned out great
>fast forward 6 months
>decide I need more room in garage
>have pallets in yard and saw pic in OP
>thought, "how hard could it really be? just did remodel"
>build shed from pallets and other "free" wood scraps
>difficult to work with whole pallets
>nailing end boards on required
>realize moving even small shed for my lawnmower and some odds and ends will require 4 strong men at least
>finish shed anyway and leaved it rough (no siding or shingles, but waterproofed)
>tear it down a few weeks later cuz it's impractical and slight piece of shit that weighs several hundred pounds

Pallets work great for small projects. I found multiple cedar pallets and plenty of oak. Never bothered with the pine and that's where my weight issue came in - but I wasn't looking to use the pine in my house and these were all left overs from that.
>>
File: IMAG1349.jpg (744KB, 1552x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1349.jpg
744KB, 1552x2592px
>>848924
Phone won't post pics... here's some old ones from when I remodeled.
>>
>>848933
I bought the hardware and the top trim board for that. Otherwise, it's all pallets and some reclaimed 1x3's for backing on the doors.
>>
File: IMAG1352.jpg (445KB, 2592x1552px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1352.jpg
445KB, 2592x1552px
>>848924
"Cowboy Coffin" door to storage. All pallet wood nailed to spare 2x4's. It's hinged at the top and swings in/upwards to latch on the rafters. Thought about adding a pull chain through the wall. The egress window we framed in pallet wood as well (bought the top trim board for that too).
>>
>>848924
"Pirate Hatch" crawlspace access. Pallet boards nailed to 2x4 frame. Note the condition of the floor before we refinished it. I can't believe it turned out so nice (for subfloor).
>>
File: IMAG1286.jpg (675KB, 2592x1552px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1286.jpg
675KB, 2592x1552px
>>848946
Shit picture... This one is not complete garbage.
>>
>>848096
>build multiple units besides each other and then connect them
why not build one large unit and separate it into rooms?
>>
>>848924
How difficult/costly was it for you to remodel/"finish" your attic space? How much time did it take? Do you have any plumbing hookups in there?
>>
File: IMAG1357.jpg (522KB, 2592x1552px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1357.jpg
522KB, 2592x1552px
>>849454
Overall difficulty was basically the learning curve. I knew basic principles of carpentry, but when it came to raising the backside dormer support and having it to code, I learned a bit. I'd never done drywall (and don't recommend it at all) and that sucked, but worked out in the end. The finish carpentry was a bit tricky. I hired an electrician on my block to wire everything up.

It probably cost me about $8k for the supplies (never added it all up) and spent some cash on tools as well. Took a few months of labor to complete it.

No plumbing... and I regret not putting a small half bath up here.

Cost wise, I never added
>>
>>849473
... all the beer. I'm sure it was a couple grand.
>>
>>849473
Entry/exit method? I have an attic that might be able to be finished like yours but the entry points are those skinny little trapdoor holes in the ceiling with not even a ladder or folding stairway. I assume yours is a little more accommodating?
>>
File: IMAG1342.jpg (615KB, 2592x1552px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1342.jpg
615KB, 2592x1552px
>>849475
We have a slightly steep stairway that leads up here. The city made us put an egress window in as a "second exit". The window leads to the roof of our porch... which I wouldn't want to jump off of.
>>
>>848253

Pallets have to be strong enough to withstand weights of a couple of hundreds of kilos. I worked in a warehouse and a pallet filled with wine is heave as fuck.

As for wearing out: I have used them as a base for drying wood in the winter to get my fireplace going. They are stored in a relatively wet environment, and so far they have kept up pretty well.
>>
>>848096
Sandbag houses are better.
>>
>>849640
i think it's the bracing on the pallets that makes them strong enough to hold the crap on them.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.