[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /out/ into boats?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 15

File: 20160323_174716.jpg (1MB, 2736x1539px) Image search: [Google]
20160323_174716.jpg
1MB, 2736x1539px
Does /out/ into boats?
>>
/out/ is too poor to into boats.
>>
>>847850
Poorfag here, can confirm.

>Tfw no bluewater cruiser
Feels bad man
>>
File: 20151128_163442.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20151128_163442.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>847850
>>847861
It doesn't have to be too expensive. My shitboat was $5k. Throw a confederate flag on the back and a cooler of beer up front and I've got a regular redneck yacht.

I try to stay away from salt water in small boats, I spend plenty of time on the ocean for my job as it is.

Pics from Lake Moultrie, SC.
>>
>>847850
This

Used to have a couple Waverunners but they were a huge waste of money living in IL at the time. Now I live in FL and would love something I could take on the ocean or even a john boat to get out on lakes ane canals but no money to drop on all that. Might have to get down on a decent fishing kayak. At least that way I can avoid lots of the costs that go along with boats where you are actively losing money if you aren't using them.
>>
>>847898
Well I meant a boat meant for ocean cruising, not just lakes and shit. Those are like 30-130k bare minimum, with another 25-100% costs for equipment, repairs, certifications, and all that shit, not to mention the ongoing maintenance costs.

Oh well poorfags gonna poor, I guess it's just going to have to be a pipe dream, unless I win the lotto or something and I don't even play.
>>
File: 20151128_162856.jpg (692KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20151128_162856.jpg
692KB, 2048x1152px
>>847904
Yeah, anything without a motor makes long term use/storage so much easier. It's just a matter of getting shit to the water. I hate having to set up and break down shit. I'm lucky that my friend lets me keep my boat in the water at their house.

>>847915
I'd like to do that when I get earlier. But It does seems like it could be an awful waste of money. Have you thought about just trying to hop on a yacht as crew? If I'm still single when I get a sailboat, I'd probably have to look for company that way.
>>
File: image.jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
Do kayaks count? I have kayaks.
>>
File: 20150503_170513.jpg (1MB, 2724x1532px) Image search: [Google]
20150503_170513.jpg
1MB, 2724x1532px
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>847849
Very.

I am my happiest self when driving/ paddling/steering a boat.

I never was much for dream cars but I've had a dream boat since I was 16. I actually saw it in person once. Pic related.
>>
>>847917
I heard about it, but never looked too much into it. Thought it would be a bit hard to find someone else who's scheduled would coincide with mine, not to mention I doubt there are many people keen on taking on novices.Though seeing how little chance there is I'll come into enough money to get my own ship I guess it's probably my best shot.
>>
>>847917
>in the water at their house
That's the thing. Only way I would really want a boat is if I lived on the water. Or if I dropped good money on a boat, I would move somewhere with water access in my backyard. It just doesn't make sense otherwise because the transport, loading everything up, preparation, and launching it all take up so much time where if you want to take the boat or skis out, it has to be an all-day ordeal.

I mentioned this in the Chicago thread, living up there you really only have a few weekends a year with weather nice enough to be on the water. And then you have to hope that you actually have the time on a couple of those weekends to get the boat out and spend an entire day doing all of that shit. If you have the boat docked in your backyard, it's actually possible to get out on the water for 2 hours on a Wednesday after work.
>>
>>847924
That's a pretty comfy boat.

>>847935
I definitely agree with that. That's one reason I went the shitboat route, it's not something I have to spend a great deal of time protecting, it is what it is.

~30 min impromptu sunset cruises are the best.
>>
>>847904
Fishing kayaks are slow, boring and generally just shit, buy a proper sea kayak, or a river runner/canadian canoe for (gentle) rivers, canals, lakes etc. If you buy a canadian canoe you can still fish, you just get more space, more comfort, more speed (if you know how to paddle properly), and won't look like a complete retard.
>>
>>848522
A litle john boat would be nice too. But I think a kayak would actually fit my needs. Most of the lakes and canals I fish are smaller and in urban areas. A kayak would be nice so I could get to areas on the other side of the lake where I would be tresspassing if I were to fish from shore. Plus I could easily just huck the kayak on the roof rack of my car and be in and out of spots quick.
>>
I have a 12' a aluminum boat. I like taking it out on the local lakes but it's pretty slow moving with my lard ass and my buddy's lard ass on it. Came with an old suzuki 2 motor and I'm too broke to replace it with something more powerful.

So I just deal with the put put. Still fun either way.
>>
Very much into boats, sailing though... Going to sail around Scotland (ardfern near oban - Inverness by Caledonian channel - pentland firth - scapa flow - skye - ardfern again) depending on winds of course starting next Friday.

Are there no decent boats to charter in the US? If you go with a few friends chartering a yacht is surprisingly cheap.

Cheers
>>
File: sailing.jpg (28KB, 350x526px) Image search: [Google]
sailing.jpg
28KB, 350x526px
>>847849
I into boat.
>>
>>848533
>>848533
THere's always stern mount trolling motor with like ~60 lbs of thrust...
>>
>>848574
is that jy 15?
>>
>>848604
O'Day Javelin 14
>>
>>847850
Confirmed.

I want to get a wee tiny jon boat next year and a couple oars (no registration needed if there's no motor here). I can't afford anything more really.
>>
File: image.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
Bought a 14' aluminum boat with a 9.5 hp evinrude for super cheap
>>
>>847898
what's ur job, if I may?
>>
File: 20140728_191859.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20140728_191859.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>848802
Merchant Mariner

My usual work 'boat' is also an aluminum pontoon.
>>
>>847850
>>847850
>>847861
>>848529
>>848742
You guys need to get a canoe. Learn a J-stroke, and how to not flip it over (don't push on the gunwales). It'll be great for small lakes, ponds, and rivers.
>>
File: 98798765.jpg (123KB, 1249x698px) Image search: [Google]
98798765.jpg
123KB, 1249x698px
Boat owner here.
>5 kayaks
>2 inflatables
>12' aluminum
>19' cc skiff
>8' jon boat

mfw: I still enjoy fishing off a pier once and while

the 8' jon boat I couldn't pass up. picked it up for $50 on craigslist. though it needed some basic repairs in total it cost me under $100.
If you look around there's a lot of boats you can score for cheap or free if you're willing to put in the time to fix them up..
>>
>two boats
>three canoes
Yes.

I wanted to live on a house boat but it seems like it would cost more money than I'd save, especially considering I'd have to have it out of the water for months during winter.
>>
>>849185
How would one learn to fix up a boat? To know what needs fixing and how to fix it? Could you pick up a book from the library or store about it? Or would it be necessary to be a bit handy beforehand?
>>
>>849802
You'd need to know:
structural, fibreglass or aluminum repair (least common repair)
Internal combustion engine repair, inboard (car engines essentially) or outboard (could be 2 or 4 stroke)
Trans/gears
Electrical (most common issues on boats that have been sitting, assuming the engines were put to sleep correctly)

Bottom line is if you have room and desire you can learn a shitoad and it's all pretty simple stuff.
If you are in a freeze zone it can cost you a shitload if the engine as not winterized and block is cracked.
>>
>>849814
Do you have any recommendations where one might find a sort of "boats 101" resource?
>>
>>849832
>boats 101
Internet?
I'm sure there are books on general boat maintenance. I've got some manuals that are specific to my engines. They also cover wiring and outdrives as a rule.
>>
>>849833
I see. I think I'll go hunt around the internet for more basic information for now, thanks for your replies.
>>
I bought a boat exactly like this one without the railings, are there any disadvantages to installing railings like these? I'm going to use it in the archipelago (I live in Norway)
>>
>>849797
There are so many people in FL that live on shitty house boats. Especially in The Keys. I'm guessing most of them are barely seaworthy, but they just keep them anchored in natural harbors and take the dinghy to shore when they need to restock on beer.
>>
>>850180
Snagging a toe when you step out onto the pier and going face first into the planks. Apart from that, not much?
>>
File: 1310091418927.jpg (37KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1310091418927.jpg
37KB, 480x640px
>>849141
what kind of boat is that?
>>
File: GOPR0253.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
GOPR0253.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Same guy as here >>848574
Went sailing this weekend. Hermine left awesome winds in her wake for the lake 10-12mph gusting up to 18.
>>
>>852148
Expeditionary Fast Transport (T-EPF), ex- Joint High Speed Vessel (JHSV)
>>
Thank God for 2-Stroke outboards. Haden't touched it for 6+ months and it fired right up.
>>
>>852465
Sounds as though you add sta-bil to your gasoline and/or run the bowl dry before storage. That tends to help. My parents have a john boat with an Evinrude 25 that's about 20 years old and it fires up on the second or third pull. Great motors.
>>
I work as a software engineer, about to sell half of the shit I own, move in with an old friend for $200/month, save until I can buy a $40,000 seaworthy ketch and sail the world. I've never been more motivated about something in my life, except for quitting my job in sales and becoming an engineer.
>>
>>847849
That thing is awesome! What model is it? I haven't seen a lot of pontoons with structures like that up top.
>>
this thread is getting old, but i'm saving some money to build my own small pontoon style from fiberglass it will be mostly a kayak with ores cause i don't have license for motors, my goal is to follow a river until it reaches to ocean still deciding what river (my country Brazil has many that reach the ocean) anyone else building boats?
>>
I into jet skis.

Don't buy one. They bleed money.
>>
>>847849
God I want a boat so much
>>
>>853482
Build a canoe out of a hollowed out tree trunk and go down the amazon, trying to avoid getting shot with arrows from tribesmen.
>>
>>853528
You will probably regret it a year later. See: >>853503
>>
>>853533
I just want a shitty boat I can c ruise around in and fish out of I dont want anything too flashy just something i can tow behind my car and take to the sea or a lake or on a river or something just a little boat for fish and chilling on and stuff fuuuuck i want a fucking booaaattt
>>
>>853531
why would my brothers shoot me? they only shoot tourists
>>
File: DSCN0217.jpg (2MB, 2269x1741px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0217.jpg
2MB, 2269x1741px
on occation
>>
File: 489302.jpg (53KB, 700x567px) Image search: [Google]
489302.jpg
53KB, 700x567px
>>853533
>>853534

I get maybe an hour's riding time out of my ski before it needs a new part or some laughable amount of labor to fix it. But it is from 1995, and it was made in canada with an austrian motor. To contrast this, my yamaha superjet is a damn tank.

But newer skis (and boats) lose lots of value the second you take delivery. Think of it like a car's instant depreciation, and now multiply that by 10%. That is how marine vehicles work. Only buy new if you want the thing for life, or have money flowing out of your ass.

But newer boats and skis, if maintained religiously, will not break on you. The most likely thing to go wrong is the in-tank fuel pump. I know your gauge says 1/4 tank. I know you visually verify that the tank is 1/4 full. But this is actually empty for these pumps. Running with less than this much fuel puts you in a shitty spot to get anally reamed by the boat gods, because these pumps require immersion in fuel to keep them cool. Pretty fucked, right?

It will cost over a thousand dollars a season just to service it (fluids, wearable parts, labor is normally $100+/hour), and most of the country gets cold enough to require winterization of the boat (sometimes this is really easy like in california where all you need to do is cover it like normal and drain the block, sometimes it is hard like in canada where you really should shrinkwrap the fucking thing even if it is stored inside, varies by boat and by state).

Oh, and if you want to take your shit in salt water, you need to hose it down and flush the motor every time. If you do not, your boat will try to kill you. I will also try to kill you. Salt + metal = bad time.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.