[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone on this board regularly go metal detecting? Is it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: _78644537_beach.jpg (40KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
_78644537_beach.jpg
40KB, 624x351px
Does anyone on this board regularly go metal detecting?

Is it fun? Experiences ?
Thinking about picking up the hobby
>>
>>846945
I see it as one of the most boring hobbies I can imagine. Searching for old beers caps just doesnt sound fun
to me

Also you look like a dork
>>
File: gr8b8m8.gif (850KB, 395x254px) Image search: [Google]
gr8b8m8.gif
850KB, 395x254px
>>847113
o boy here we go
>>
Aquachigger is my hero

I think metal detecting is good if the place is cool enough and if youre OK with finding nothing.

I'm surprised at how much goods are lost in rivers like what the chig does.

Stuff on beaches is odd tho, like how do you even lose a ring there? I get gopros will get knocked off into a river
>>
File: Aquachigger.jpg (157KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Aquachigger.jpg
157KB, 1280x720px
>>846945

If you live back East where there's significant history, then there's fun to be had with relics, out west, you're just going to find present-day coins and crap with a lucky ring to two.

Also most of the time, it's best to ask permission to the places you want to dig.

>>847130
I really like how he's just a super nice guy.
>>
>>846945

Depends on the area you live in, here in europe even a rusty nail is likely to be a cool find, because it might be really old.
It is fun and a very addictive hobby, but don´t believe those guys that tell you that you need a really expensive detector to have fun.
Start with low sensitivity, so frustration will be minimated, high-end detectors with deeper penetrations are the reason beginners quit early. When you start you should not dig out finds that are deeper than 30cm, because of frustration, so a cheap analog is perfect for getting started. More holes, more tension, more fun.
>>
>>846945
>metal detecting?
I'm thinking about doing this too. Can anyone give tips on how to learn this hobby?
What might I find?
Good places to go?
Places to avoid?
Can be used to find ore like gold and panning? That would make prospecting faster.
>>
>>847130
>Stuff on beaches is odd tho, like how do you even lose a ring there?
>take off/it slips off for some random reason
>look away for 2 seconds/don't notice
>never seen again because it blends into the sand/gets covered up
>>
>>849691

I have to take my ring off when I go swimming. The water gets underneath the ring, just rekts my skin. This is not an uncommon thing, so I can see ppl taking their shit off for that.
>>
>>849692
>ring off when I go swimming
Wouldn't you do that in the car when you get there?
>>
>>846945
I always thought it sounds really cool, but it would probably be more trouble than it's worth. Getting permission off all the different landowners (if there's not a club near you), walking around in the wind and rain most of the time, carrying reasonably heavy kit and having to be ok with not finding much.
>>
>>849688
its best to detect on beaches or places go alot to find jewelry or that kind of stuff. you should also go to places you know there was a house or very settlement of people. use internet for local history of ypur town.
walking around in plains cool anyway. avoid places with small iron litter.
you can detect gold with higer end detectors. mine was 175euro and can detect gold.
you will most likely find coins nails and bolts and lots of aluminium beer cans
>>
>>849696
Why would I drive 2 blocks to the beach? I'd probably have to park further away than I live.
>>
File: U.S_pennies-1024x716.jpg (467KB, 1024x716px) Image search: [Google]
U.S_pennies-1024x716.jpg
467KB, 1024x716px
My hobby is to spread these wherever I see people metal detecting.
>>
>>846945
I have never done it. But my uncle who retired 5 years ago ( he does ton of gold panning) picked up a detector and he loves it. Hes found tons of gold rings and jewlery on the beach. Id say pick one up if you have time to use it.
>>
My parents do it.

They've found a rare walking liberty worth about 2 grand despite being in shit condition

they also found a mini portrait of what the people at the historical society think is the lover/wife of a british captain who lived during the revolutionary war

tons of cool stuff, such as a civil war ramrod

my mothers friend is lucky enough to go to florida twice a year for detecting rich beaches, and pretty much finds rings a lot.
>>
>>849696
Millions of people go to some beaches so some people will fuck up.
>>
>>849906
Good job.
>>
>>850791
ty
>>
>>849692
Ah that makes sense.
>>
File: 20160629_075457.jpg (2MB, 1864x3184px) Image search: [Google]
20160629_075457.jpg
2MB, 1864x3184px
I started MDing a few months ago and I've found a few okay things, but mostly rusty nails and a handful of coins. Pic is a frog gig I found in a local stream. I've also found some silver-alloy/junk rings on a nearby beach.
Now I'm waiting on buying a nice little power supply to start doing electrolysis.
>>
File: 20160629_104030.jpg (1MB, 1192x3936px) Image search: [Google]
20160629_104030.jpg
1MB, 1192x3936px
>>850994
I also found pic, which I think has something to do with logging, but I honestly have no sure guess. It was found in the same stream as the gig, and is probably older than 50 years.
>>
have a work mate who dose this as a hobby, him and his dad. last year his dad found a Roman gold coin which was sold for 43k pound sterling, but had to give half to the land owner.
>>
>>846945
Always thought it would be kind of neat to try it, but have never been interested enough to actually do it. Plus the metal detectors at my local park dig up the field AND LEAVE FUCKING POT HOLES EVERYWHERE. ASSHOLES.
>>
Which detectors can you recommend?

small/stealthy ones. because metal decting is in my country forbidden.
>>
>>849742
So why not leave it at home?
>>
File: P7210095 (1024x586).jpg (425KB, 1024x586px) Image search: [Google]
P7210095 (1024x586).jpg
425KB, 1024x586px
>>849559
>out west, you're just going to find present-day coins and crap with a lucky ring to two.
I find a couple thousand dollars worth of saloon tokens, antique coins and jewelry every year.
>>
>>847113
>I see it as "insert meaningless subjective personal opinions here"
>>
>>846945
>Is it fun?
Depends in which country you what to start metal detecting.
>Experiences ?
After over 7 years metal detecing I nearly find everything you could find in my region in Germany.
>>
>>851225
>metal decting is in my country forbidden
where the fuck is that?
>>
>>849688

>Can anyone give tips on how to learn this hobby?

The only thing to learn is to understand the signals of your detector, this takes a while and after that while, the fun starts.

>What might I find?

Everything you can imagine, but gold, precious coins or rings are very rare, even in historic areas. Beercaps and aluminiumfoil will be what you dig 90% of the time, even if you do it for years and with the best available detector. Those things look like precious treasures for every detector.
But you will find things you have nevre seen before and it is fun to find about what those "treaures" you have found in the dirt are.
You will never know what your signal is until you dig and that´s the thing about metal detecting, lottery for people who are interested in the history of their area and therefore it is addictive.

>Good places to go?

Depends on what you want to find, but there is no bad place at all, because you will never know if the place is good if you have not checked it. Even your backyard can be full of precious things.

>Places to avoid?

Where other people eat or drink.

>Can be used to find ore like gold

Yes, it works if your detector is sensitive enough. Gold Bug 2 from fisher is one of those detectors made for this task . There are videos to watch how nice that works, in gold areas.
>>
File: 20160826_095625.jpg (3MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160826_095625.jpg
3MB, 2560x1920px
I have a garrett ace 250, pretty fun activity.
Never found anything valuable (in $$) but pretty interesting though. Pic related, a front loading pistol's barrel.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.