[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did you do this week to prep?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 15

File: Screenshot_2016-08-27-18-19-57.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-27-18-19-57.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Earlier this year, I got more serious about organizing my prepping, as it's starting to make up a serious portion of my total possession. I should also preface this with the fact that I'm going to be moving from a small community to an apartment in a huge city.

I have been using a standard size of totes for keeping my supplies in, and purchased the 7 I was missing to fill out my bed frame in pic. This will enable me to keep all of my supplies with me, as opposed to being across town in a storage unit, which is at risk for being broken into.

I'm looking for a discussion about smart and practical big city/apartment prepping. Also open to answering any questions about my setup, and just prepping questions in general. Bug in, bug out, get home bags, innawoods locations, etc.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-27-18-36-09.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-27-18-36-09.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
4 are currently full of mountain house freeze dried meals

1 has misc condiments, salt, 30lbs of honey, hoards of tea, 4 tins of pepper, seasoning packets (for beans and rice)

Not shown for food is 5x 5 gallon food safe buckets, 2 with jasmine rice, 1 with garbanzo beans, one with mixed beans, and one that's half white rice, half black beans. The contents are in mylar bags with moisture absorbers, and in the locking buckets.

1 is full of 500 rounds of shotgun shells, 2000 rounds for my rifle, 1000 batteries, about 20 fuel canisters, maps, and other misc stuff (yes, this one weighs probably 160lbs)

1 has my main backpacking gear (tools, and things I switch out of my kit, but am likely to use)

1 is like a junk drawer of my old/less likely to need gear

1 is full of my tools, both manual and electric. Ratchet sets, hammers, pliers, standard tool kit shit.

The other 3 are currently empty. And will likely fill up with more food.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-27-18-36-17.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-27-18-36-17.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Final product works great. Weight distribution is very solid with the slats on top, and can take direct pressure of standing on any point of the mattress without so much as a sound of shifting.

I have an oversized black blanket that Im going to drape between the mattress and slats, to cover what's actually underneath my bed. That's mostly just to keep friends/family/any visitors from asking what's in them, and I don't like wearing my tinfoil hat publicly.
>>
>>846803
Same thing I do every day. I take care of crops & animals, harvest, and preserve. I always have about 6 months worth of food. Though, this is life, not "prepping". Thus, it isn't a hobby.
>>
>>846820
What do you use for 6 months of food? I'm at about 4 months for 1 person.

What's your gardening situation? Live on a farm, or just have a garden? It seems the further you get from cities, the more "prepping" is just part of living.

I'm trying to prioritize my spending to start saving for a down payment on a solid homestead, with as many amenities "off the grid" as I can get. Looking forward to doing a lot of it myself to cut down on costs.
>>
>>846824
see
>>843050

I post a few vegetable gardens there.

>What do you use for 6 months of food?

Everything I grow, raise, forage, fish, and hunt. That's a list larger than I want to write. Legally, for tax purposes this is a, "small farm".
>>
>>846809

>1 is full of 500 rounds of shotgun shells, 2000 rounds for my rifle, 1000 batteries,

It's nice to be prepared but you have gone full retard. Quit wasting your $ and get the fuck out of the city.
>>
>>846874
I don't live in California, but many states are adopting gun control laws like the one they have.

Best case scenario, I have a 5ish year supply of ammunition for my two guns. In all honesty, I would like to add another rifle and a hand gun to my list.
>>
>>846874
The batteries I picked up in a massive bulk sale. 500 aaa/aa for $100. That's about the cost I would pay for batteries a year if I spent 6$ on the 4 packs as needed. Best case scenario, I never have to spend money on a battery again. All of my devices that need batteries take the same size on purpose.

I'm by no means a richfriend. I spend frugally, and have a job that gives me $35 a day for food. You can easily spend 35$ on one meal, or you can spend $5 on food from a grocery store, and buy $30 of food that will last 10 years or longer. I rotate my stock ad well, and incorporate my prepped food in my diet once a week. Let's me experiment on adding spices, more or less water, or mixing meals, etc. That way you have more food varieties if you end up going long term on the food I have stored.
>>
>>846803
I bought 2 cases of water because there was a possibility of a hurricane forming earliet in the week.
>>
File: DC_Store_Shelves_January_21_2016.jpg (448KB, 1220x894px) Image search: [Google]
DC_Store_Shelves_January_21_2016.jpg
448KB, 1220x894px
>>846899
Even planning after the news but before the event is more than most do.

Here's a picture of a Walmart 48 hours before the snow on the east coast last year. Many went weeks isolated because small towns simply shut down. As solid as our economy is, it's very fragile when disrupted over a large area.
>>
>>846895
Alkaline batteries don't last very long, maybe a couple years. Do you burn through batteries regularly?

Also, your dried food, beans and rice are going to take a ton of water to be edible, and need a heat source with adjustable heat, and not give you CO poisoning or being really conspicuous. Without knowing more about your living situation or just how reasonable prepared you are, this is usually where preppers fail hard. They buy all this shit, and when it comes time to use it fuck everything up.

I got an MSR pocket rocket, and have been cooking meals out of my van (work truck) for lunch, just to see how discreet I can be, and how reasonable it is to camp out in public.
>>
Installed a CB radio in my car last weekend. Picked up some hiking boots for the mrs. Also picked up a serbian surplus wool blanket to replace my aging and thinning US surplus wool blanket. Will probably move the wool blanket to my car.
>>
>>846907
I have a couple Coleman propaine stoves and about 8 tanks for it. Then I have 3 backpacking style stoves that take the mixed fuel. Msr, snowpeak, and the $5 Amazon stove. To be honest, I use the Amazon one the most, and it does just fine. I have 45 canisters of the medium size. I can boil 12z of water approximately 40 times a can while in doors.

Not sure where you've been, but alkaline batteries are typically rated to have a 10 year life while dormant. This can be extended by cooling them in a freezer (which I plan on doing) and as I said, I use batteries liberally while backpacking/camping, and usually supply flashlights and batteries to my friends while /out/ too (same with my meals). All the things help to rotate through my stock, and I'll end up using everything eventually.

The containers I'm storing my beans and rice in are rated to store liquid for consumption on the bpa scale. I'll use these to soak the beans/rice in as needed, and have plenty in the way of salt/seasonings. Going to start rotating coconut oil into my rotation as well, as it can last up to 5 years if stored out of light and cooled.

I also have a modest collection of garden seeds. Maybe 50 packets of heirloom/organic seed for various melons and vegetables. Got them for free, and need to do a LOT more research on gardening.
>>
>>846911
What's your /out/ vehicle look like? And what do you keep in it?
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 400x213px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 400x213px
>>846937
It's almost laughable. Pic related, 2002 subaru outback impreza.

I've been pleasantly surprised at how capable this is offroad. I can't go everywhere I would with, say, a 4 runner, but I have been able to make it up washed out dirt roads in the rainy season.

I keep my plate carrier, a full CLS bag (like an IFAK on steroids), and my SHTF pack (swedish surplus backpack with two changes of clothes, a few MRE's, emergency stove, tarp, parka, etc) in the back. In a few months i'm going to pick up a handgun (when I turn 21) and keep that in there too (i'll have to find a way to secure a locking case to the vehicle somehow).

Planning on getting a 4 runner or something similar when the ricemobile dies on me.
>>
>>847212
My old clique had a subaru outback we abused the hell out of. Like going into the woods on back trails mudding and all sorts of stupid shit. It held its own against the trucks.
>>
>>847212
Those cars can take you anywhere you need to go, with a bit of driving skill that is.
>>
>>846874
>>846809
>1000 batteries
The small box from Costco
>>
Get a gun cleaning kit to put with your ammo.
Get some various vegetable seeds, since you seem set to hole up as a first plan.
Get some stuff to barter with, like a bit of alcohol.
How common will Tequila be 6 months after SHTF?
>>
>>846812
>>846812

Clean your disgusting house you slob
>>
Why do you people feel the need to 'prep'? Fantasy, hobby, actual fear, or it just becomes an obsession?
Realistically, what scenario is going to occur that will require you to have 1000 batteries, hundreds of freeze dried meals, etc.?

Not attacking you guys
>>
>>847441
katrina, snowstorms, riots
>>
>>847460
>>847441

>katrina
All your shit is underwater, half your dry goods are now wet and perished, you have no way to make fire, and probably lost all your clothing and sleeping quarters.

>Snowstorms
This shit happens every year in places that it snows, if you keep at least a weeks worth of firewood and food on hand, you're good to go. Even people in their 80s do just fine during the heaviest of snowstorms.

>riots
You don't need batteries, or freeze dried food, or other bullshit, you just need guns and to stay out of the riot.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of being prepared for disaster, but so many people think they need a million batteries, 10000 rounds of ammo, 7 tons of food, and a million gallons of water for an unknown disaster. Its just pointless crap that people spend oodles of money on with no real practical purpose.

In reality, a few cases of water, your pistol and a couple boxes of ammo, and a stocked pantry is going to be all that you'll need for 99/100 scenarios people dream up. Having more never hurts, but know when to stop.
>>
>>847212
Impressive for a younger guy anon. You're going to make it.
>>
>>847441
>>847479
>How to spot a sheltered indoor kid: example posts.
>>
>>847510
>500 shotgun shells and 2000 rifle rounds
>for a snowstorm, a riot, a flood, or a hurricane
>>
>>847527
When you only have 2 mags and your down to your last 3 rounds and there are still dindu coming through the door with machetes, you will wish you had another 1950 rounds of ammo left.
>>
>>846803
I bought a gallon of water and a $10 knife sharpener.
>>
>>847510
spotted the manchild who's spent thousands on prep gear and has never had to actually use it.
>>
>>847222
>>847264

Very true. It's taken me all over the pacific coast, on and off road. I have no complaints.

>>847441
Part hobby (we as a culture do like to occupy our thoughts with post apocalyptic situations where it's just a guy, his gun, and a backpack full of the essentials trying to navigate a broken world), part actual prepping. I couldn't tell you if there is going to be a red dawn, or 1906 earthquake, or chernobyl, or pompeii in my life, but if there is, it wouldn't hurt to be prepared to last until the dust settles.
>>
>>847547
I'm >>846820

Sometimes we have to go 3 weeks without power in the middle of winter due to storms. It happens in summer too, which is worse due to no AC. Flooding can also be an issue for 1-2 weeks where no one can travel anywhere.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-28-18-26-07.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-28-18-26-07.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
People prepare for a whole range of things. Starting with the most likely, which often coincidence with the shortest duration, to the less likely, which could potentially increase the length of supplies needed. A good foundation of essential items, and a good plan will get you through many days if you end up cut off from modern luxuries like utilities, food, access to your money, or even access to potable water.

At the low end you have wind/rain storms
Job loss
Multi-day snow/ice storms
Riots (I live in a black lives matter hub that gets paraded every few months with vandalism, and gunfire)
Natural disaster (for me we're supposed to get a massive earthquake in western Washington)
Mt. Rainier has had more activity the last few years
And at the extreme end of possibilities lies freak phenomenon like a solar flare, which acts as an emp, or full on war, as my side of the country is the potential battle front for attacks from Asia/Russia

All things considered, ive spent less money on this than you'd think. I don't do it with expectations of doomsday or disaster. I feel security in having a plan for the unplanned. As I said earlier in this thread, the wider spread the disaster, the longer you will be on your own unaided. I'm not a shut in that has no social life and no family. I understand that most people do not see the need to be prepared, and while I can't supply for everyone in my community, I sure as hell can provide for my friends and family, and that's also a motivation.

Someone asked about bartering! I started storing honey, as well as seeds, as these are believed to be acceptable forms of currency if the dollar has no value. I'm looking into stock piling a lot of Marijuana, but obviously run the risk of getting charged with intent to sell (because I live in a legalized state, so I can buy weed at $5 a gram) when I start my homestead in the next 5-10 years, I'll look into keeping a cache of it, with the intent for bartering.
>>
would it be a good idea to buy or make "vice" items such as cigarettes, booze, etc. for trade?
>>
>>847684
It certainly doesn't hurt; liquor can be used as antiseptic to flesh wounds and minor cuts, its nice to drink provided you have enough control not to get fucked up. I can't imagine you'll find people willing to accept booze for food or anything else.

rolling papers, tobacco, and cigs might be decent since a lot of smokers will be jonesin' hard for one, but remember only about 12% of the country smokes, its definitely perishable, and if it gets wet, its garbage. If you don't smoke, expect them to go stale in under a year. But if someone needs their nicotine, they won't care about freshness. In my opinion, a pack of papers and tobacco for $12 is better spent on just about anything else unless you already have a mountain of shit and you smoke tobacco yourself. Even then, spend that money on trying to quit.

Same goes for weed, you'll find very few people who will actually consider weed, tobacco, and booze as an absolute necessity willing to give you valuables such as food and water for something to get a buzz going during a disaster.
>>
>>847701
nah mate
I think youll find the smokers and drinkers will be super keen to get some. Weed and tobacco and booze will be a powerful item, but it all depends on the real world scenario
>>
File: guns.jpg (4MB, 3900x5008px) Image search: [Google]
guns.jpg
4MB, 3900x5008px
>>846890
I don't know how useful pic related would be for you, but its a good start for anyone who is looking into buying a gun
>>847567
I don't know if seeds would be too useful
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedlife.html
>>
>>847567
>Marijuana
Tobacco

It's a lot easier to go without weed than to go without a cigarette, trust me.
>>
>>847567
how much money have you stuck on mountain house food? ;X
>>
>>846803
Mental problems/ The thread
>>
>>848101
It's ok, he can hunt with his air rifle when he gets bored of that shit.
>>
>>846803
I don't understand what being a faggot has to do with /out/
>>
>>848181
>How to spot the guy who comes over to borrow stuff during a power outage: example post
>>
>>848309
Kek. No.

There is a difference between keeping some extra water, food, and gasoline for an emergency and roleplaying for a zombie scenario with an air rifle, 1000 shitty batteries, and $900 worth of Mountain House.
>>
>>848101
I get a $35/day Perdiam while I work remotely. I spend about $15 a week on food I actually eat, and spend the rest on freeze dried meals that I fly home in my luggage.

If I'm working remotely but have my car with me, I'll buy heavier things to take with me, like 20lb bags of rice/beans. Salt, honey, and other various spices. Also tea. Lots of fucking tea.

My collection of mountain house is worth about $3k now, and I have only been saving since January of this year.

My company is cool with it as long as I don't go over the 35$ limit, and submit all my receipts at the end of every month. Many of my Coworkers do the same thing, except they spend it on booze every day.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-29-20-41-43.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-29-20-41-43.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>848315
>>848183
>I pointed out he has an air rifle twice! I bet he loads it full of his batteries and shoots them up his ass while rubbing his mountain house all over his nippers.

My cat watches too. We call it "prepping"
>>
>>848372
>$3k of freeze dried food

What the actual blueberry fuck.
>>
>>848383
To me, the ridiculous part is the year I worked before I started buying mountain house. Some days I would hardly touch my perdium, but most I would just spend it all on food.

We're also given a limit on cost of hotels we can stay at, and often times have to go over budget when working on projects In bigger cities. (been a lot of work in LA lately)

I've tried talking to my boss about just paying us out and making us on our own for hotels, which would end up saving tens of thousands a year from my team alone.

If I had that payout, as well as the 35$/day payout, I would buy the ultimate /out/mobile, and live in it, and pay it off in 2 years, as I'd be able to crank over 3k/month into it.

It's really sickening how much money the company I work for throws around. The expenses I put on my company card every month is more than double what I make for wages.

I really wish I could do more with it, but hey, 4k a year in frozen meals is a hell of a perk. I hope anyone of you would do the same, or better in my position.

I should also add that I have something like 500 each of soap bars, shampoo, and lotion from all the hotels. And Ive started taking the packs of coffee and creamer they leave in hotel rooms. I don't drink coffee, but my friends and family do! Also the notepads and pens. Got way too many of those.
>>
>>848392
Its "per diem" from the latin, 'diem' for 'day'. Just like carpe diem, seize the day.

Are you just full retard with a bunch of soap, freeze dried food, and other bullshit you're hoarding for no reason?
>>
>>848392
>steals coffee and creamer despite not drinking coffee

Are you sure you're not just a hoarder?
>>
I suppose I should ask here, because I can't see any other prepper thread.
I want to prep for a happening. But I live in the suburbs.
I don't have anywhere nearby to bug out to, should I need to.
The nearest forest is over an hour and a half away by car
>>
>>848401
It's all free for me, dude. Is there a point I will stop? Sure. I've already reached max capacity on soaps and shit. I'll never need that many. The food? It's still only a 4 month supply for one person. That's enough to get a single person comfortably through 1 rough winter.

If I save all the food I can make space for, id just consider not working for a year or more, and building a homestead. That's the end game for me. Not relying on someone else's system to provide for me.

It's more than a hobby. I'm saving loads of money by working a job that I actually like, and pinching pennies every corner I can. I have no desires to stay employed by a corporation for too much longer. I'm actively researching homesteading in my spare time, as well as harboring friendships of those who are like minded.

Maybe I'll take a year off and then get tired of my meals, or have a rough winter, or get sick, and go back to being a wage slave. I'd be better for doing it. And I hope that more people around here have the balls to take similar risks regarding their own interests.

This thread isn't about "thinking about becoming homeless soon, what advice can I get. Already ready Chris McDaniels" it's more like "hey this is what I've been doing for myself, and would like to bounce ideas off people who have similar interests"

>also, thanks for the correct spelling. It looked wrong to me the whole time, but my phone has the word "perdium" in its spell check for some reason
>>
>>848408
Best plans would be to have a location to get to, and bug /in/

If you have a family member that lives outside the city, this would be ideal for more of your family to meet at.

Great urban planning is having a get home bag in your vehicle, having a bike or motorcycle for backup transportation, never let your fuel go below half a tank at all times, and most importantly, having a plan, and ways to communicate with those in it. Also ways to defend yourself.

Don't underestimate how quickly cell phone service can be nexted. I recent read a recap of a dude who had 2 weeks of flooding, stranding his entire neighborhood on an island, with many refugees from a shit tier neighborhood crashing in the school (also on their flood-island) cell crevice was out before they were locked in, and did not come back on until after national guard relief came (after the 2 weeks)
>>
>>848416
I don't know why I never considered setting up a small prep stash in our warehouse. It's in an industrial area and is about 20-25 minutes by car from home
>>
>>847212

Beat up 4wd subaru? Holy shit that's a good choice. Low key but does everything you need it to.

Lets get back to first principles. What SHTF scenario are you preparing for? If the answer is, "whatever may happen" then you need to game out several such scenarios. Pandemic, teh Caldera letting loose, a Carrington Event, Economic Collapse, and Nuclear War are good places to start. Many other events will be equivalent to one of these.

You need to look first at the overture-- the period between when you realize that the disaster is or could be imminent and when it actually strikes. Then preparations to survive the event itself, then survive the immediate aftermath, then the post-event chaos, and then finally the post-event rebuilding.

To me, the big issue will be that your biggest issue is getting out. Unless you're stupidly lucky, the roads out of town will be totally un-navigable. They'll be clogged with cars filled with desperate, frustrated drivers. Your Subaru can help with that, but it needs to be parked somewhere where you can get to it, and where it can get to an unobstructed evacuation route. Where would you go? What's your plan for bypassing/clearing government checkpoints?

All your supplies implies you'll be sheltering in place rather than leaving. I'd agree that water is your big problem. A filter is a good first step, but lots of water storage will be useful.

You need to do more to integrate your supplies into your daily life. A bunch of shit sitting in boxes under your bed is nice but in practice people don't rotate their supplies like they should. Be advised that your neighbors in the city will notice if you're the only one not starving-- word will eventually get around. Read Farfel's account of Argentina's collapse. You need a plan to stay socially integrated into your neighborhood if you're not leaving it.
>>
>>848410
>It's a my life blows so I'm preparing for nothing episode.

Nothing wrong with preparing, but don't think this is anyrhing but escapism
For your shitty life.
>>
>>847441

It builds a sense of ownership over your life, a sense of independence. It's fun if you're into autistic planning and spreadsheet building. It encourages people to become self-reliant and develop skills and confidence they can use in other contexts.

That's all assuming nothing bad ever happens in your neighborhood.

Often, prepping for big disasters helps you survive and adapt to much smaller disasters like tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, forest fires, or brief local riots. All those things happen regularly, no place is safe from everything.

FEMA has recommended that every American do some limited prepping for decades. While criticized for a slow response to Katrina, FEMA actually took the exact 72 hours to get supplies in that they'd warned they'd need (also, the governor of Louisiana refused the federal order to evacuate, exacerbating the crisis for basically no good reason). Germany recently started recommending the same for its citizens. Terrorism obviously enhances these risks.

Big disasters are much more rare than small disasters, but they do happen. Your odds of survival of such a disaster are very small, but much much better if you've prepped than if you don't.

Finally, prepping can be integrated into your daily life and lifestyle. Having extra food in your pantry can insulate you against having to raid your retirement savings if you lose your job. Not living in a flood plain is common sense... but tell me, have you ever actually checked to see if your home is in a flood plain? Many vital SHTF skills are fun hobbies now: woodworking, gardening, first aid, etc. Firearms are a useful tool for home defense even if the world remains zombie-free. Construction supplies that you'd use in a disaster also help if you suffer storm damage or need to do home repair. The records and cash you keep in your SHTF box can also bail you out if you need them in a hurry for a legal problem.
>>
>>848578

https://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit
>>
>>846803
Nothing this week yet, but this week I am going to go get some winter rye seed and reseed my lawn. Supposedly, if you mow it before it flowers (forms a seed head,) it keeps on coming back and grows like normal grass. If you mow it after it flowers, it dies. Keep it mowed, and if anything gets wonky with supply chains, I just quit mowing the lawn and I have a crop of rye.

Well, nothing aside from tending the garden and setting things aside for seed saving. But I do that every year.
>>
>>847441
The top graph is a proxy for all debt in the US, both public and private, and it is a very lowball estimate on future obligations of people, corporations and the government. The 2nd graph is basically sum of all cash and cash like instruments, including the total of everybody's checking accounts. Note that there is nowhere near enough cash to actually cover the total of what is listed as being in everybody's bank account. The third graph is how fast M2 money is being spent. As you can see, something is broken. The final graph is the portion of everybody who is working age who is either employed, or looking for a job.

That ~$60 trillion in debt is still accruing interest, and needs to be payed off by that ~$12 trillion in M2 money, however, ignoring the fact that the interest is fast outstripping that, paying off that debt actually reduces the amount of M2 money out there.

Basically, our entire financial system is the largest Ponzi scheme in human history.

So, you tell me, why do you not have some preps? The next 20 years is going to be unlike anything from the past 20.
>>
File: broad.jpg (159KB, 690x1832px) Image search: [Google]
broad.jpg
159KB, 690x1832px
>>848591
Forgot the fucking graph.
>>
>>848591

Most of the standard prepping strategies are excellent for natural disasters but totally unprepared for something like this. Again, read some Ferfal and see what a real country in a financial collapse is like.

OTOH, that kind of prepping is off-topic for /out/ whereas prepping for natural disasters like earthquakes and carrington events is (somewhat) on topic.
>>
>>848596
I disagree that it is not an /out/ topic. SHTF means that we're all going to either be dead, or spending a lot more time /out/. Economic stresses can lead to a whole slew of other problems, including things like civil war. How is this all going to play out? That's tough to say. When is it going to play out? It has been for the past 15 years, but it will be punctuated by major, yet unknown events in the future. The one thing that is certain is that our current financial system is mathematically impossible to sustain. The question is, how good are the policy wonks at kicking the can?

But this leads into discussions about farming/gardening, hunting, fishing, raising livestock, getting fresh water without it being provided by a municipality, etc... These are all, in some way, /out/ topics.

IMO, if you're prepping for an earthquake or a hurricane, then yeah, having a bunch of food, water, first aid stuff, camping gear, etc... is good. Prepping for an economic collapse starts with all of that, and then a changing your mindset. How much of the food that you are storing did you grow and preserve yourself? Where are you going to get salt, which you will need, if the 18 wheelers aren't running? Could you tan a hide without all of the modern chemicals used in modern tanning?

It boils down to questioning every material thing that you depend on, and questioning how people got by without modern industry. It also boils down to knowing that you're not going to have all of the knowledge to do everything yourself.

You basically need to adopt the mindset that you aren't going to have much more than stone age technology available to you in the future, and then hope to hell that you're wrong about the degree of collapse.

It helps that I live in a sparsely populated state that could conceivably support itself without modern industry.
>>
>>848618

I think you should study other countries that are going through this. Greece is in the early stages of a collapse, held there by German aid. Venezuela is collapsing right now. Argentina went through this a number of years ago. There are plenty of other countries that have gone through it as well.

One thing none of them have had is a total collapse back to savagery. The government won't default and then suddenly a select few of us wind up hunting and camping in pristine woods. Even if somehow all our technological infrastructure vanished (eg a Carrington event), what you'd have is tens of millions of people wandering throught the woods wiping out the game and eating everything that's edible until nothing's left and they starve.

It is worth thinking about TEOTWAWKI, but you need to let go of the fantasy and think about how such a thing might actually play out.

What I'm saying is that yes this is important, but you're grossly underestimating and misunderstanding the challenges.
>>
Op here,

I've seen a handful of replies to others' posts assuming they were op. For instance, the Subaru is not mine, it's some other anons.

Glad to see we have a good discussion going. Regardless of the "event" that causes the shit to hit, the outcome is based off of how widespread it is. As much as Katrina was devastated, it had a very controlled outcome, and even recovery. Yes it took years, but you're looking at a population in the millions being temporarily relocated. Instead of effecting most of a state, imagine if it effected an entire coastline.

The reason I'm a prepper is for keeping me and my loved ones out of a fema camp should the Pacific ridgeline decide to shift, and raise the water level up to 50 feet in some areas. The earthquake damage is projected to be "off the scale" and rank higher than a 10.0. An event that is more catastrophic than anything recorded. If I somehow survive it, (and I'm actually home when it happens, as I said before, I travel for work) then I'm not naive to the length of time it will take to recover.

Supply chains will shut down, as there will be countless impassable roads, stores will sell out, or be raided within days if not hours, people will quickly realize there is no law enforcement, and I give it a week or two before the bigger cities on the west coast start to get triaged. I'm sure a natural event that takes out America's #1 export (media) will trigger a lot of world help, but I really don't believe there's any way to relocate that many people, or provide any substantial form of transportation in/out.

The hardest part to overcome in any SHTF situation is the potential lawlessness that follows. The best defense for that is numbers, and a defensible location. Many ex-military communities are great for planning situations like that, as they've seen how wicked people can be when there is no ruling order over them. And they have no shortage of able bodies and weapons.
>>
>>848758

The US has other issues. Our ability to import oil comes from the petrodollar system, and we import roughly 50% of what we use. We have been in a state of collapse for at least 15 years, and one of these days, the USD is going to lose its WRC status. Once that happens, we are going to lose access to a significant portion of the oil that we consume. Start looking on the things that depend on oil, and you will start to see why this could be catastrophic for the US. All of a sudden, large cities that are far away from where food is produced, like NYC, will have difficulties, because we're going to have to figure out what to burn the oil that we do have for.

We have complex Just In Time supply chains that are vulnerable to this. Figure that there is only enough food on store shelves to last maybe a week, and keeping those shelves stocked depends on oil. The problem is that there are no simpler alternatives to these systems that are big enough to keep the entire population supplied with necessities.

Part of the problem with the Greece and Venezuela analogies is that they're small enough for others to come in and rescue. We're not that small, and on top of that, when we go, so is a lot of the rest of the world.
>>
File: IMG_20160830_190547-1.jpg (237KB, 1859x1301px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160830_190547-1.jpg
237KB, 1859x1301px
>>846803
I ask for extra ketchup packs from McDonalds and I'm watching my survival show right now.
>>
>>848906
Snape kills Dumbledore
>>
>>848869

>we import roughly 50% of what we use

Nope.20% and falling Your whole life is based on a Nigger tier understanding of the world
>>
>>846803
Looks great, and congratulations on your proactive attitude/understanding, but I have 2 concerns:

Moving to a huge city? Hope that means you have 6 different ways to leave and take your supplies with you, and a place to go well away from the crowds. This will take some guesswork on your part, to beat the crowds, and might cost your job. You good with that?

You're taking measures to hide your stash, but are talking about supplying your friends, which becomes their friends, and the building, and the neighborhood, and...? Hope I misunderstood.

We also have a small farm and about 6 months worth of rotating food, etc; living the dream.
>>
>>846874
>Implying there is such a thing as too many firearms or too much ammunition

fucks wrong with you, were you born this way?
>>
File: 1468196422496.jpg (21KB, 410x425px) Image search: [Google]
1468196422496.jpg
21KB, 410x425px
OP in all seriousness, in terms of fitting preps in to a normal and practical life, nice work. I'm about to build a bedframe (my mattress is latex, serious heavy) and might have to make it accomodate a standard size of tote.

I think it's important to be able to 'bug in' but also to be able to GTFO when needed, especially if you're in an urban center. Work on getting a bag (or bags) together to keep in your car that look very nondescript so you can ditch town on foot if you need to. Look up the 'grey man' concept. I've been helping my brother with this for a while.

I've got mixed thoughts on 'Bug Out Locations'. If you have the resources to buy land or a house far from civilization with acreage that's great, but it doesn't make you any less stationary and it can result in you being isolated from a functioning community...I live rurally, but have neighbors with equipment, supplies, and skill sets that we could work together and trade. Also, if you are concerned about the federal government's role in SHTF or what SHTF might look like, owning property is an easy way to be found, period.

I look for more remote parcels just because I like self sufficiency and my wife and I prefer seclusion and quiet. But I would like to find a remote piece of ground in the mountains to dig a concealed, hillside shelter (using Mike Oehler's concepts since he has been living that way for literal decades trouble free) and then encourage some wild edible plants nearby, and keep a considerable stock of preserved food and other supplies there. For two reasons:

1. It'd be freakin' sweet to have a place like that to sneak off to and camp
2. If things ever went completely to hell, I'd have an unrecorded, roadless place to vanish to and start over and hope for the best.

I do intend to be extremely cautious when we do this since it is illegal and could have environmental impacts. If it's discrete and simple, it should be low impact as well. So it becomes morally acceptable, even if unlawful.
>>
>>850399
Me again.

I've also been looking in to getting one of those Harvest Right home freeze dryers. I think we're going to make the down payment on one this month. Aside from prepping, it'd let me make my own /out/chow the way I want it, and I'm more than willing to take freeze-dried leftovers to work for food on shift. Considering how much I waste and how much I buy for work food it really would pay for itself pretty fast. I also have family I could lease machine time to. But you're talking a 25 year shelf life, larger variety of ingredients available, and better nutrient preservation. Seems like a win all around.

The 3k price tag is significant, but I just spent that much on a car which IMO is much more of a ripoff for what you actually gain vs. a beater car.
>>
>>850401
If you can't afford $3000 to spend on something you will probably use, you shouldn't be buying it. If you'r a homeowner or a young guy getting his life together, don't buy some $3k prepper appliance unless you know a shitload of people you can rent it out to to have it pay for itself.

Don't be that guy that has $47 in the bank but a years worth of bullshit in his closet. Be financially prepared before you prepare for a meteor impact.
>>
>>850399
Fuckin LARPers
>>
>>850402
I'm doing ok financially. Biggest bill aside from mortgage is a shoulder surgery my wife had. I have investments and a growing savings. But there's no financing cost to their layaway program so it makes sense to lock in the sale price they have going and just throw money at it every month vs saving it and paying a higher price.
>>
>>850433
If you're financially set, why fuck with layaway then?
>>
>>850437
Because I prefer to preserve existing capital for investments, house projects or emergencies when there's no extra cost to the layaway.
>>
>>848377
That cat is thicc
>>
>>850402
I agree the freeze dryer is a bad Investment. To get the food to 25 year shelf life, you'd also need to store it in a mylar bag with oxygen absorbers. Increasing the cost and labor immensely.

What I disagree with is where you say you should not prep if you're poor. Making small sacrifices for long term investments IS smart finances. Don't waste money on useless shit, but I'd rather have something than nothing if push came to shove. All the money in the world won't save you if you can't access it. Your credit card could be as useful as a guitar pick.
>>
>>848577
Ive actually used a lot of my preps either in snow storms, power outages, or 'crap I didnt buy this when I went grocery shopping, glad I have 10 extra [soaps/cans of tomatoes/whatever]

Plus I bake my own bread so why not have grains on hand?

Stock what you use, use what you stock. A century ago this wasnt called 'prepping', it was called 'life outside a city'. It makes sense to do.
>>
>>850460
I store food that way already though for long term storage. Though a fair bit of it, like I said, would be eaten in short order since I would be using it as work food. I go to work for two or more straight days and the amount of money I wind up blowing circumstantially on food is nuts. I also estimate I blow about $1200 on spoiled leftovers which I could instead preserve.

Dunno man. Ill cost out mylar and o2 absorbers since thats a valid point, but it still seems worthwhile to me, especially with being able to rent it out to several people to recoup cost and potentially turn a profit. I guess I didn't emphasize that though.
>>
>>846902
>>
I'm good on food. Each week I try and put away more 7.62x39.
>>
>>847556
Do you live in SE asia? Where the fuck do these conditions occur?
>>
>>850524
Not that guy but I can relate. A few days isn't unusual, but a couple of weeks will happen every other year or so for parts of my county.

Basically it comes down to over-the-mountain transmission lines getting damaged in addition to dozens and hundreds of trees down on sub-transmission lines in different and remote parts of our area. We can count on two to three gnarly wind storms per year, not even considering winter itself. Those are just spring and fall.

I've got a generator, oil lamps, alternate cooking methods and various extra food and I've used all of it at some point in the last two years.

Ironically my biggest failing is fire preparedness. I'm improving my fire break this year but we need to be way better organized to actually be able to grab stuff and evacuate if it comes down to it. Having packed clothes, copied dox, food and water etc. ready to go and some way to transport the more important pieces of my insane firearms collection.
>>
>>850524
>>850576
I'm in the inland northwest of the US by the way, if that helps. Pretty rural here, very forested. I have no idea why our power shit isn't mostly below ground. Actually I might just call my power co. and ask, they're usually pretty easy to talk to.
>>
>>846803
Only thing I'm prepping is a noose
>tfw no gf
>>
>>846803
I just bought a large beef burrito for lunch from the aptly named "Fat Bastard Burritos" down the street. Right now I'm converting it to lard to store on my body until I need it.
>>
>>846812
add some feet, keep it raised above the containers
>>
>>850589
Hi /r9k/
>>
>>850870
It's fine, I'm the same way. I have no desire to live through that bullshit after 27 years of growing accustomed to fast food and cable.

>>850589
My plan is to go spend my life savings on heroin and do it all.
>>
>>846803
I made sensible deposits into a brokerage account for retirement. Call me crazy but I think you're probably in more danger of growing old and retiring than starving to death if you don't stock a personal granary.
>>
If you accept cannibalism as an option, prepping becomes irellevant.
>>
>>848571
Get a job or a hobby you fuckin looney
>>
>>850969
Smartest response to a prepper I've ever seen.
>>
>>850969
>>851217

I do this as well. In fact, I've taken classes on financial planning.

Tax laws vary by country, but in the united states term life insurance, Roth IRAs, and estate planning are good places to start. There are important tax implications to Bug-out locations and shelters as well.

Obviously, in case of a financial crisis like you have in Greece, Venezuela, or Argentina, liquidity is important, as is protection from confiscatory taxation and capital controls. So it's important to consider this from many angles. Often, for SHTF scenarios with a significant overture, you have enough time to use your line of credit or cash out investments; sensibly investing can be a strong preparation move as well.

Good points!

What I find interesting is that the federal government advocates for citizens being sensibly prepared for natural disasters. In fact, September in the United States is National Preparedness Month. >>851149, it appears that most experts agree that YOU are the loonie. You wouldn't ignore the common sense pronouncements of the President of the United States, would you?
>>
>>848869
>Part of the problem with the Greece and Venezuela analogies is that they're small enough for others to come in and rescue. We're not that small, and on top of that, when we go, so is a lot of the rest of the world.

Venezuela isn't being rescued by anyone. They've declared that all their problems are the result of evil sinister Foreign Influences and shut themselves off.

Greece isn't being "rescued' so much as it is being locked into stasis. Which makes sense, because if Germany gave more money, Greece would immediately spend it to dig themselves deeper into the hold. They're not stupid, but they're locked into a political dynamic where economic collapse is pretty much unavoidable.

The thing is, the idea that there will be a Collapse(tm) and then everything breaks apart and we're all camping innawoods is naive. Studying how smaller societies break down is instructive, or how other civilizations have fallen apart historically. Individual social institutions fail, but then others move in to take their place.

Ferfal's writings about the Argentine collapse are very instructive. The people who got really fucked were the urbanites (too many people, not enough resources) and the people in rural areas (so few people and so much resources that they lacked the political pull to avoid being legally "looted" by the government or its successsors). That happened at every level: nationally, provincially, and at the city/town/village level.

The solution for long term SHTF is to bond with your neighbors and the local political leaders. Fit in, contribute to your community, keep your head down. Prepare, by all means, but not so obviously that you become a juicy target. Have a skill that makes you valuable. The wreckage of a society is still going to be way more powerful than you and your bunker-bros, and most realistic scenarios involve a collapse that is slow and inexorable rather than a big, table-clearing BOOM.
>>
>>850399
>I look for more remote parcels just because I like self sufficiency and my wife and I prefer seclusion and quiet. But I would like to find a remote piece of ground in the mountains to dig a concealed, hillside shelter (using Mike Oehler's concepts since he has been living that way for literal decades trouble free) and then encourage some wild edible plants nearby, and keep a considerable stock of preserved food and other supplies there. For two reasons:

Honestly, the smart play is always to integrate prepping with your normal life as much as possible. You don't want your emergency assets sitting idle on the off chance of if and when. You want them working for you all the time.

So you choose your main home carefully. A place near a decent community but remote enough to be defensible. Away from likely military targets, good climate, close to natural resources, and away from stuff like flood plains, fault lines, etc.

Get a garden going. It's a fun hobby, and you can build your competency at growing today, and eat the rewards. Canning surplus is just common sense, again builds your competency, and you have all the gear and know how to use it in an emergency. Oh, and you save on eating vs buying organic at whole foods.

You practice with a weapon now. Again, a fun hobby, and self-defense isn't just something you want to have vs zombies.

Learn a trade like carpentry, blacksmithing, or become an EMT. When I'm down, doing odd home improvement jobs for my wife always cheers me up. It's nice and productive.

Make sure your friend circles include people with useful skills. Often these are pretty cool, down-to-earth people. They don't have to be preppers.

Go over the local area with a map. Look up local businesses. Where are the distribution centers, the rail depots, the warehouses?

I like your idea of half-ass permaculture for your immediate surroundings. Again good practice and lays resources into place for when you might someday need them.
>>
>>852597
>I like your idea of half-ass permaculture for your immediate surroundings. Again good practice and lays resources into place for when you might someday need them.

Anybody got ideas for this? I'm thinking mulberry trees planted in wild areas as well as on your property.

The trees take forever to grow but then you have fresh wild mulberries to collect in season-- too many for the birds and squirrels to get. If you don't use insecticides, you can use the leaves for sericulture (raising silkworms).

And if SHTF, they're already grown and ready.

Goats and chickens are useful, too. My neighborhood has a wooded area by a playground that frequently gets overgrown and needs to be chopped back. There's a guy around who keeps goats (for the milk and as a artisan cheese maker). They call him in and he fences the goats into that wooded area for a few weeks. Meanwhile the kids can come, see, and pet them (they're tame) while the goats clear the brush for us. Even the poison ivy, which is pretty sweet.

The thing is, if you have a bunker full of expensive supplies that does NOTHING but sit waiting for nuclear war, then you're doing it wrong. Even if the war happened, you probably wouldn't have enough warning to get to the bunker in time. Instead, you have a root cellar or a wine cellar which you use for other stuff but which you took the extra time to make sturdy enough to work as a bunker. For example.
>>
>>846809
A few thoughts-

what chemistry are the batteries? If they're alkaline, start replacing them with lithium. Lithium batts have much longer shelf life, and are less prone to leaking in storage. Also consider stocking up on rechargeable NiMh batteries and a solar charger.

Add about 10K rounds of .22 lr to your ammo stock. And get a rimfire rifle and pistol. Beyond that, get some very basic reloading gear- Lee loaders or comparable- for each centerfire caliber you stock. Then build a stock of components, minus brass/hulls, to make 10K rounds in each caliber.

By fuel canisters, I'm assuming that you're talking about 1 pound propane cylinders. Find out how much run time 1 cylinder has in your stove, likewise your heater. Yes, depending on your climate, a heater may be a survival necessity. Anyhow, reserve enough cylinders that you can cook for a week, and can run your heater for 6 hours a day for a week. Then get 2 20 pound propane cylinders. Those are the bbq sized tanks, btw. You can get adapter hoses to feed your appliances from the larger tanks. You can also get fittings so you can refill the smaller cylinders from the larger.

You can still do some gardening in an apartment. You might want to consider loading a tote with basic gardening gear and seeds. Look into vertical gardening.
>>
>>852660
Great tips. I'm all moved in to my apartment now. There is a big balcony that gets sun for a handful of hours in the morning. I'm going to grab a couple durable plants and see my luck at keeping them alive during winter. Come spring me and my roommate agreed to try our hand at planting food plants. It won't be a lot, but I have almost no experience with gardening. And as another anon pointed out, storing seeds is useless, because they don't last more than a few years tops.

I've got enough fuel canisters for months for cooking. It's the butane/propaine canisters for a normal backpacking stove. (I have 3) i can get upwards of 50 boils of 20z of water per canister (I have the large size stored, and don't count the smaller backpacking ones in my stores, as I use them innawoods). This number is achievable in indoor conditions. I turned on my cheapest, least efficient stove on full blast, boiled 20z of water in 6 minutes, then let it run until it was empty, and it took hours. I mean like almost a whole days worth to run out. I have 35ish of these large canisters.

I do have a small portable heater I got for fishing trips. I have about 9 or so of the 1lb Coleman propaine cans for it. I have not left the heater on full blast to see how long It takes, but I'm sure it will go faster than my cooking gas. I have a small Coleman grill that can run off them as well, but I'm sure it's also inefficient. And would be a waste of gas to boil water on it.

The batteries are alkaline. I got them less than 2 years ago, and I'm already using them fervilously in attempt to rotate them. I've got 200 of them in my freezer, which can extend their life up to 15 years longer than their 10 year life already. It's not that I'm opposed to lithium batteries, but when I saw a 100 pack for sale for $30, it's a better financial plan to rotate through them every 5 years, and then replace, so I always have a 5+ year supply.
>>
>>852599
Cont
>>852660

I'm at a hold for purchasing more amo/guns for the time being. I'm not in debt by any means, but moving into a city with about $3k worth of deposits, fees, and insurance took a blow to my savings. I'm planning on shopping for a hand gun with my tax return, and assessing what preps I want with my Christmas bonus this year, but will likely just save that money.

One of my preparations I haven't mentioned is my medical supplies. I've spent 5 years as an EMT for one of the busiest departments in my state. I then worked private ambulance transportation/technician for a year and a half, and put my busiest year at the fire department to shame. Though I'm not a medic, I've worked along side them as well as nurses, and been allowed to do more advanced care, like starting lines on patients, administration of medications, as well as establishing tracheal airways. I also stoll a shit ton of supplies from my shitty ambulance company, and have a comfortable supply of anything without an expiration date, as well as the knowledge and skill to use It.

Other than a car payment, I'm entirety debt free, and that is also part of my prepping. In extreme situations, and under martial law, there is a chance of debtors jail making a return to our society, as almost all established cultures had some form of this.

I'm also saving and researching for an eventual homestead plot of land, that I want to be as off grid as possible. I've already met people in self sufficient communities and living the way I would like to (where you keep to yourself, but always have your neighbors in their time of need, and know you can always go to them in yours). I've also met countless people whove expressed interest in being a part of a community like this as well. I've not decided whether I want to join an established group like this, or be a part of starting one.

In most all situations, knowledge is the best preparation you can have.
>>
File: SHTF Bosnia.jpg (1MB, 1489x2935px) Image search: [Google]
SHTF Bosnia.jpg
1MB, 1489x2935px
>>846803
>I'm looking for a discussion about smart and practical big city/apartment prepping.

Must read;
>>
Are you guys actually concerned about shtf scenario or is it fun hobby?
>>
>>852704
I'm more concerned about a political or economical scenario. Disasters are fun to think about too, but in reality if a disaster occurs people will still be trying to help. If the gov. collapses, the global economy fails, or civil revolution becomes national, there will be no Walmart trucks stocking your store.
There are some solid theories that, with the current political and economical state, not only of America but the world, that this reality may not be so implausible.
>>
I got a new bag and it has a chest buckle but doesn't have a stomach buckle.
What's the easiest way to put one together myself?
>>
>>852691
Wasn't this confirmed for being a fake. Good read nevertheless.
>>
>>852704
Both. Plus i finally got to muck out my basement to get room for supplies. Its more or less a rewarding hobby.
>>
>>852660
>Also consider stocking up on rechargeable NiMh batteries and a solar charger.

Don't these have a short usable lifetime too?

I've heard that lead acid are bulky and heavy for the power they store, but last a long time and have incredible shelf lives. And are cheaper.
>>
>>852704

Both. This guy puts it well: >>852754

Study some history. This happens to nearly every civilization at least once a century in some form, and nations as a whole usually have a lifespan of about 500 years before they fall apart catastrophically.

So as implausible as it feels, SOMETHING is likely to happen in your lifetime, and virtually guaranteed to happen eventually. If nothing else, you've taught your kids habits that might encourage them to be ready if something like that happens in their lifetimes. More likely, you'll get hit by something bad but not catastrophic like a natural disaster (hurricane/earthquake/floods/forest fires) and your preparations will be much-appreciated overkill.

Meanwhile, it's a fun and rewarding hobby that gives you a feeling of empowerment and independence in an increasingly interdependent and unstable world.
>>
>>852780

I keep hearing it was but never see any evidence. My default assumption is "fake" but meanwhile yeah it's a fun read.
>>
If you don't have a 10 Cloverfield Lane style rape -dungeon, you're doing it wrong
>>
>>852818
>Don't these have a short usable lifetime too?

They're pretty durable as far as the number of charge cycles they'll endure. It's in the thousands.

All rechargeable batteries require compromise at some point. NiCd have a short cycle life and get a memory. NiMh offer less energy density. Lead acid are heavy/bulky. The various Li rechargeables can be temperature sensitive, and have the possibility of thermal runaway. And so on.

I'm partial to NiMh because they're light and fairly easy to recharge. A repurposed solar garden light will work.

Btw, solar garden lights also make good lamps for low-light indoor applications. Leave it out to charge all day, bring it in to light at night.
>>
>>852704
I'm not worried about the SHTF, just a temporary shortage of things. FEMA says you should have 5 days supplies for everyone in your home, Homeland Security says 20. I may not be 100$ on those numbers, but that's a general idea.

When Sandy hit it was 3 days before I could even get into town. Then it was just over 2 weeks to get power. The national guard came very quickly to give supplies and dry ice, but there were very long lines.

It's just better to have your own stuff and not need help from others.
>>
>>848950
;_;
>>
Wasn't this week, but the most recent was ordering and assembling a bedframe to stick everything under, so it wasn't just piled up in the second bedroom where everyone and their mother could see it.

Assuming we have no other food in the apartment, we have food and water for two for a month, if we're careful with it.

I need to get at least another month, and a lot more water. I hate needing to rely on the water-bob to have more than a month.

But then, I also need to get the bottled water out of the garage and quit being such a fat sack of shit, which I feel is more important than having more than a month of food and water.
>>
I have 3 months of food and water.

Pro tip prep with what you already eat and just rotate stock.

Also go to mormon storehouse. It is open to non lds and has canned foods for cheap.
>>
>>853372

Having supplies also relieves the shortages and frees up responders to concentrate on the isick and wounded, as well as the elderly and small children. It also means that in a typical brief shortage, you can share with your neighbors in need.
>>
>>846902
I see bread and cabbages. No problem.
>>
>>846803
Pick up a couple dozen Duke #110 body grip traps from Fur Harvesters Trading Post website. The applications for small mammal trapping in a city are endless and often overlooked. It's much more low profile than hunting and if you rust and dye the traps right no urbanized cuck is going to find them.
>>
Hey guys. What are you stores of toilet paper like? I'm thinking of storing a couple year's worth in my basement.
>>
>>855925
And by basement I mean crawl space. I don't have a basement and have no clue as to why I put that.
>>
>>855925
>>855946
Area floods, pipe breaks, toilet overflows, animals get into crawlspace, high crawlspace humidity, mold growth, all things that happen in crawlspaces. I wouldn't advise putting paper goods there.

Its a high volume, and rather sensitive if not perishable item. You might consider putting them into large plastic storage containers if the crawlspace is your only available space, or the attic/rafters if you have decent access considering shit tickets don't weigh very much.
>>
>>855990
Removing the cardboard rolls can drastically cut down in their volume, and condensibility. Alternatively, you can probably find some affordable that come that way.
>>
>>855990
They're double wrapped in plastic when I buy them. I figured they'd be cozy in my dry crawl. I'll test it out without containers and modify as needed. A year's supply is like $15, so why not?
>>
>>851841
>common sense
>Obama

This kekels my shekels.
>>
>>852843
>increasingly interdependent

This. Remember that during Sandy in several cities on the East Coast, including New York, people died from lack of basic necessities. People stayed in their apartments with no heat, food, or water. They didn't even have enough to last a few days. They assumed that the gubmint would swoop in and make everything better.

Sure, it's good to be a part of your community, but at least be capable of taking care of yourself for at least a week. Even if storing months of supplies isn't something you want, or are able to do, a weeks worth could save your life in a disaster.

Very few people are going to be able to handle a true SHTF collapse scenario. In that case, if you can't stockpile supplies, you should at least have some durable tools and goods that you can be reasonably skilled at using.

Nobody can predict what is going to happen, so don't try to prepare for roving bands of rape-niggers if you live in Montana, or forest fires if you live in Kansas. Instead, start thinking about what scenarios are possible for your area, and do what you can.
>>
>>853372
>FEMA: 5 days, DHS: 20 days

Apparently DHS knows how badly FEMA will fuck things up.

I keep 3 days in a backpack under the seat of my truck, 7 days in a larger pack at home, and another months worth in case I just need to stay put at home.
>>
>>856495
During the 94 northridge earthquake, it was about 4 days before any supplies were brought in including water, food, and necessities. This wasn't even close to shutting down major transportation, but it just took time to mobilize these things and figure out who would pay for it.

For shit like Katrina, and other major storms, 4 days just for a few bottles of water and military MREs would be an optimistic time of delivery from the gubment. The very minimum people should do is have a heat source such as a camp stove, and a week's worth of water and canned food. High protein, high calorie stuff like corned beef hash, beans, and vegetables is what I stock up on. Weekly sales at the foodmart for less than $1 per can makes it easy to add to my shopping list, doesn't take up too much space, and will be fine in the event of a flood or earthquake. Bottled water is only about $3.50 per case, and easy enough to rotate out.

I've put a few bottles of water in my work truck, and have a can of corned beef hash (with pan, opener, and camp stove).
>>
>>846803
I went and refilled one of my 14 gallon potable water tanks.

I generally keep 24 gallons of potable water on hand and cycle through it about every 2 weeks between 2 people. I have enough food for about a month and I have my own indoor aquaponics system set up, I just need to plant it.

Between preserved food, guns, alcohol, and enough camping equipment for 2 people to live in the woods for a few months, there isn't much more I care to do for a SHTF situation. I am in a major US city, if things get bad I have guns and skills, all the dried rice in the world won't keep degenerates from setting a building on fire.

I do need to get some NBC masks and suits though.... thanks OP.
>>
>>846912
Best way to learn is to just plant some stuff. In all honesty it isn't that difficult. Heirlooms have been bred over thousands of years by humans to be hardy and have high yields. It's pretty hard to fuck up if you just pay attention.
>>
>>847441
Stuff happens. Most likely stuff is bad weather. Economic stuff is probably next most likely. Earthquakes large enough to cripple a huge region could happen but haven't yet. Political stuff like civil unrest or an armed uprising or a massive labor strike could really fuck things up but have not happened for a long time. Yes most of these scenarios would really equal a few days of minor hardship BUT what if those days turned into weeks or months? Hence the preparation. Most people that I know that have a years worth of practical supplies for each member of their households are Mormons.
>>
>>856479

Well played.
>>
File: IMG_20160819_132026.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160819_132026.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
> what do

I worked on learning how to pickle foods. Eggs, veg and turkey keilbasa in this jar.

Quite good, preseved for well ove a month by now.
Thread posts: 135
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.