[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hammock-Camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 13

File: hammock.jpg (74KB, 472x316px) Image search: [Google]
hammock.jpg
74KB, 472x316px
Are these really as great as they seem to be?

>No more rocks and less bugs
>Easier to set up than most tents
>Light-Weight and often as small as a softball when packed together
>>
They have some limitations. Lack of suitable trees for instance. Also, they aren't as warm as sleeping on the ground, so if it's cold out you'll need a lower rated sleeping bag, a pad, and maybe an under quilt.
>>
Go camping for a few nights with a hammock and see how it is
>>
>>844989
>can't sleep on stomach
>can't roll or move around in sleep
>what if no trees
>shit when it's cold out

nah, I'm good.
>>
>>845131
There are hammocks that you can sleep on your stomach, such as bridge hammocks, although stomach sleeping is linked to many health problems, and you should avoid it.

Moving around in your sleep is not an issue, you can roll side to side all you want. Even in a typical gathered end you can pay mostly on your stomach without issue. Many people find sleeping in a hammock they have no desire to roll around since unlike a pad in a tent, you're incredibly comfortable and supported. You just drift off to sleep without any of the typical tossing and turning.

They aren't for everyone. There is a learning curve that many people just don't want to bother with. There is a "fiddle factor" to get the most out of a hammock set up.

Agree with the no tree issue, however I live on the east coast of the USA, so there is not ever a spot without 2 trees in sight.

They are fine when it's cold. I've slept at 0 degrees before. As long as you have proper gear, you can sleep at minus 40 degree F temps (Google shugemery in youtube, who has a video doing it).
>>
I have a hammock I made myself, no trees? No problem I van set it up as a bivy. Bugs? No worries it has a bugnet. Rain? Who cares, silnylon tarp. I can set it up in the air using my trekking poles too, don't even need the trees.
>>
>>844989
They are gimmicky at best. Its no accident that tents are the go to sleeping choice and are suited for virtually any terrain as opposed to the ideal situation.
>>
>>844989
Hammock with an underquilt and down quilt plus a good sleeping pad and rainfly and the only thing a tent has is more space for you stuff. I don't find it to be an issue
>>
>>845200
Except when trees are sparse?
>>
>>845182
>google in youtube
you obviously have experience with living outside the civilization

good response thoough, thanks for that
>>
>>844989
If size and weight are your determining factors, in warm weather a tarp, a little cordage, and a UL sleeping pad beats both hammocks and tents. If you are up for fabricating your sleeping pad you can do even better.

I like hammocks for comfort and the size and weight advantages but I restrict them to warm weather use and the forecast has to be free of big wind or storms. In the cold or when I think conditions might be sporty I use a tent, because I can run a stove and they handle wind much better and in relative comfort.

Your best bet is to close your ears to fanboys and try a hammock to see how you like it.
>>
>>844989
Plus, it has the potential to be warmer than a tent if you get a Quilt or throw a bunch of Woobies over it.

This all comes at the cost of safety though, since if a Bear or Moose decides "See that hanging bag?Fuck that hanging bag.", you're fucked.
>>
>>846012
Just as fucked in a tent, if a moose decided to trample that bag laying on the ground.

The difference is when a bear is mauling your tent, you're trapped. In a hammock you can jump right out and at least have a fighting chance.
>>
>>845283

>close your ears to fanboys and try a hammock

Methinks you are a hommock fanboy and probably only 16
>>
>>844993

You might have problems with trees, my area is no problem. For the cold, I just use a pad and a good bag in the hammock, have no problem with cold.
>>
>>846100
>you can jump right out
Ahahaha uh huh...
>>
Hammocks are great for for warm weather but only the most hearty can tolerate them for fall camping and they tend to weigh a bit more
>>
File: I_laiek_hamx.gif (3MB, 351x251px) Image search: [Google]
I_laiek_hamx.gif
3MB, 351x251px
Hammocks are the best. You don't have to like it, that's fine. But they are. Like award winning films selected by the Library of Congress for their cultural significance are the best, or a 5-star restaurant is the best. Whether or not you actually like it, as an individual, doesn't matter. It's still the best.
>>
>>845203
Then you wouldn't be bringing a hammock would you retard?
>>
The number of thru-hikers using hammocks dwindled the farther we got north. Many dropped them for tents. The base hammock is lighter, sure but once you start adding things on like the straps, rain fly, bug neck, under quilt, over quilt it becomes just as heavy as a tent. You're also limited to what you can do with a hammock. Even in my one man tent I could cook in the vestibule when it rained, keep shit dry outside as well as have things inside the tent. Not to mention the times I've been able to set up in fields and lawns.
>>
>>846248
>Provides example where hammock might not be ideal choice
>Calls them retard

On a scale of 1-10 how mad are?
>>
>>846251
>bug neck, under quilt, over quilt
You can get all that in one by just going into your local milsurp store and buying a woobie.
>>
>>844989
>people complain about no trees around.

You fucking retards. Setup your hammock like a bivy.. Its not complicated. Its how I parking lot camp with a hammock.

Also to the "no bugs" thing. Someone hasn't tried to sleep in a hammock with lots of mosquitos around. Fuckers will bite straight through the bottom into your back!
>>
>>846254
I dont even care either way but you actually could be retarded. so sorry if you get offended. I don't think anyone would deem it necessary to explain that you need trees for a hammock or at least posts. That's something called implied knowledge or understanding that you learn in primary school.
>>
>>846251
>>
>>846273
I use my hammock all the time without trees. Even a retard like me can figure it out. JUST LAY IT ON THE GROUND.W HY CAN'T YOU? Benefit is that now you have the comfort of a tent and the weight of a tarp.
>>
File: DSCF5271-2.jpg (466KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5271-2.jpg
466KB, 2000x1333px
>>845131

>sleeps in hammock
>fall asleep on my back
>light sleeper, toss and turn most nights
>wake up on my side most often
>also wake up in foetal position
>occasionally wake up on my stomach
>use same sleeping pad, sleeping bag and tarp as when ground dwelling
>when theres no trees I stake my hammock into the ground and use as a netted bivvy under my tarp.

srsly we can do this all day faggot.

>>845197
>virtually any terrain

yeah virtually any terrain as long as its flat and even enough.

>>846012
>safety

yes because that .5mm thick tent is much more protective isn't it

It's not an either or thing guys. I have no problems sleeping in a tent IF ITS THE BEST SOLUTION FOR THE SITUATION. But my preference is for my comfy comfy hammock - pic related
>>
>>846260

>Fuckers will bite straight through the bottom into your back

Double netting is good - top AND bottom of hammock covered.
>>
>>846448
A sleeping pad in the hammock suffices to keep bugs from biting through.
>>
>>846449
And works as an underquilt
>>
>>846449
>>846453

In the Summer (when there are bugs) you don't necessarily want insulation.

Solution is either double layer hammock, all enclosing bug net, or spraying DEET or equivalent on the underside of the hammock
>>
>>846244
Do u even underquilt bro?
>>
>>846251
You do realize you can cook under your tarp, and unlike a tent, you don't have to do it sitting Indian style, you can do it sitting comfortably in the hammock as a chair.
>>
>>846480
Never use DEET on a hammock. DEET can eat right through synthetic fibers, trust me.

Use permetherin. It's made to be sprayed on fabrics. Let it dry, and you're protected from bugs. It's amazing stuff.
>>
>>846795
You do realize no one uses a hammock more than twice
>>
File: 19.png (17KB, 366x600px) Image search: [Google]
19.png
17KB, 366x600px
>>846876
get. a load. of this salty. salty. fagût.
>>
>>846799
good advice, anon.
>>
>>847107
DEET is GOAT for bug sprays, but since it will eat through synthetic fibers, I don't use it for my camping trips. I use the permethrin sprayed on my stuff, and some sawyer picaridin spray for everything else.
>>
>>847156
That's just a marketing ploy from competitors whose products don't work. DEET is 100% safe for all fabrics
>>
>>847199
Stop spreading misinformation.

DEET can destroy synthetic fibers.

http://sectionhiker.com/deet-dissolves-breathable-fabrics-experimental-results/
>>
File: 1471648280749.jpg (141KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1471648280749.jpg
141KB, 1000x1000px
>>846876
>>846885
>>
>>847199
When I worked in Yellowstone we used 100% deet for everything.

I've seen that shit melt decals off of shirts
>>
>>846432
You're weirdly hostile about hammock camping.
>>
File: sno_geeps.jpg (109KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
sno_geeps.jpg
109KB, 1000x1000px
>>847708
what's so funny anon
>>
Hammocks are goat. Tent a shit. Just get a cheap one and take it out instead of asking the neets here
>>
>>848022
stop with your misinformation then
>>
If you use a bug net you're a pussy faggot
>>
File: fishing for you.png (3MB, 1745x1745px) Image search: [Google]
fishing for you.png
3MB, 1745x1745px
>>847156
>permethrin
>picaridin
Why use both? What's the tradeoff?

>>848532
>pic related
>>
>>847156
>wearing synthetic fibers
disgusting
>>
>>848602
You can only use permethrin to soak your clothes and gear and let dry. After that you can not spray it on yourself as it can be toxic. I treat my clothes with permethrin, but carry picaridin spray in case the bugs are especially bad. I can then spray my arms and legs, or anything not covered by the permethrin treated clothing.
>>
>>848718
Thanks for the info anon but why both? Why not just use picaridin when needed?
>>
>>847199
It burns through fishing line, and a can blew up in the work truck at my old job and burned through the dash. It eats synthetic materials for breakfast.

Get this shit, because it's safe and is actually designed for fabrics. It will kill anything that lands on it too.

>https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-premium-insect-repellent/
>>
>>848765
Because the permethrin is a set it and forget it kind of thing. Without the permethrin treated stuff, you are constantly reapplying the picaridin, which gradually wears off. The permethrin won't wear off and is even good for a few washes on clothes.

Put it this way. Permethrin provides like 85% of the protection I need when used alone. The picaridin when used alone is also good for 85% protection.

When used together, the permethrin provides 85% protection, and the picaridin is just for the final 15% as needed, giving me 100%. Its what works for me.
>>
>>846795
>not being comfortable sitting indian style
>>
Tents are better than hammocks. You can't fuck in a hammock and then go to sleep with a girl next to you, but able to separate enough to prevent the oven of body heat that results from skin contact. End of discussion.
>>
>>849156
>It has to be just like this
>with just the perfect amount of space
>and no more touching after sex
>I win
k
>>
File: 8d8cc75d13ab585ac189d34c043667ae.jpg (102KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
8d8cc75d13ab585ac189d34c043667ae.jpg
102KB, 1024x576px
>>849156
Wut
>>
>>849187
Still no sex option in hammock
>>849237
No cuddling in separate hammocks.

Still win.
>>
File: hammock-blog-two-person-hammock.jpg (256KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
hammock-blog-two-person-hammock.jpg
256KB, 640x425px
>>849532
>>
>>849532
>has never had sex using a hammock or swing
poor anon
>>
>>849563
>>849595
Not in a hammock you would take camping.
>>
>>849156
you most certainly can fuck in a hammock.
>>
Any hammock recomends? Dont wanna get a meme-o if I can do better for the money
>>
This has been an awesome read watching you guys fight about this shit.

I might try the hammock out for a light summer bag. I can get a pro deal discount on one brand to make it worthwhile. We have some alpine terrain that might get iffy for trees but I don't see the issue with making a bivy of it. For that matter I could just as easily also carry my Seek Outside LBO and have both for but a few ounces more. Heck, I should see if the LBO pitches as a nice rainfly for that matter.

>>849532

>Being restricted in your lovemaking by the presence or absence of a tent and sleeping bag

Did you eat lead paint as a child or are you a KHV?
>>
good for jungle use where the forest floor is covered in evil creatures and the climate is hot and humid
wouldn't use one anywhere else though

Tarp + Ground is superior in temperate climates.
>>
>>849532
>Having sex while /out/
Ill have you know I go so remote a woman's quivering ovaries would not be able to handle the sheer danger and manliness of the things I do out there.
I go outside so I can dip, drink, blow snow, spit, shoot, cuss, yell, kill things, destroy things, and do dangerous things.
Women cant handle that shit.

All that said, I dont use hammocks because I sometimes I camp in areas with no trees, camp in heavy rain, camp in snow, etc.
>tldr
No gf
>>
>>850429
I meant to say blow snot but I do occasionally blow snow while /out/ I guess.
>>
>>850308
If it's a "brand" you can get a pro deal on, it's a shitty brand.

Any "brand" name mass produced hammock isn't very good. Get yourself a custom made hammock from somewhere like dutchware, arrowhead equipment, or make your own. Not only will those choices be better, they're also cheaper usually.
>>
File: 1451775133781.jpg (54KB, 628x628px) Image search: [Google]
1451775133781.jpg
54KB, 628x628px
i've been hammock camping all summer with just the hammock and a tarp, but now its getting cold and i was freezing this weekend. what're my best options for keeping cold but also down on space? im more concerned about space than weight. i know i've seen stuff about underquilts and i'm wondering if i should just get a woobie or a regular quilt and hang them under my hammock and another on top of me inside, or get a real sleeping bag. i think a sleeping bag would fold up better.

i'd also like a smaller rainfly that folds up tighter than this tarp
>>
>>850299
Make your own. I found a kit at ripstopbytheroll dawt com that's breddy gud.
>>
>>844989
sleeping in these things is never comfortable

i have a two person ENO and i always sleep like shit even after a long days hiking
>>
File: diy-no-sew-PLUQ.jpg (101KB, 612x872px) Image search: [Google]
diy-no-sew-PLUQ.jpg
101KB, 612x872px
>>851628
A woobie can work as an underquilt. See pic. You could also sew some channels into them and make it into a permanent underquilt. You'll need a proper underquilt though if you do any winter hammocking.

Sleeping bags work, but aren't ideal in hammocks since you end up compressing the insulation on your back more in a hammock. A lot of people will just zip the foot and use the bag like a top quilt.
>>
>>850299

Dutchware 11 foot 1.6 hexon with whoppie sling suspension.
>>
>>851635

>he thinks ENO hammocksare actually meant for backpacking
>>
>>844993
>Aren't as warm as sleeping on the ground
Bruh, last time I went with my buddies, I was the only one with a hammock. I was also the only one who didn't freeze in the middle of the night. The ground sucks so much heat from your body, buddy.
>>
>>851635
There's no such thing as a 2 person ENO.

They might make you believe it's meant for 2. It's not.

You fell for the ENO meme.

They're way WAY too short to be taken seriously as a camping hammock. That's why you don't sleep well in it.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.