[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am planning on doing a thru hike of the AT next season and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: atc_logo_circular_cmyk.png (516KB, 1638x1638px) Image search: [Google]
atc_logo_circular_cmyk.png
516KB, 1638x1638px
I am planning on doing a thru hike of the AT next season and I have begun creating a tentative daily schedule for myself. I came across one a few days ago that I was going to base mine off of, but I cannot seem to find it. It was a daily schedule for a 180 day hike. Has anyone seen it?

Also, I have the AWOL guidebook and I've been looking at all the towns that you pass by while hiking. Some of them are limited to one or two gas station-type places, of some sort of "market". Do these places usually have enough as far as a food is concerned? Mainly talking about foods like pasta sides and the like, not granola bars.
>>
Actually, I just found it, but the question remains regarding the types of food one would find in the gas stations and markets close to the AT. Do they cater more towards hikers because of the proximity?

http://theatguide.com/PlanNobo2010-12.html
>>
I hear most towns on the trail have good resupply, though up north the same stuff gets expensive as fuck. And yeah, places do tend to stock items with hikers in mind. I haven't seen anything really that makes me want to send a box anywhere, could be a bad move but i'm not going to bother. I'm leaving early March, soo pumped
>>
>>844588
Most towns on the trail have a lot of stuff geared towards hikers. If a certain gas station is the closest gas station to the trail, you can bet they stock stuff for hikers. Even if they don't have much, they will be able to point you where to go. They are very, very used to hikers coming and going.
>>
>>844586
I've never hiked the AT but I remember hearing once that a lot of people end up eating shit just to get calories by the end because of the dramatic weight loss i.e.: m&ms, pop tarts ... Gas station food basically , grain of salt though, I'm not experienced
>>
I just completed my thru-hike last week. Took me 144 days with 11 zeros (8 of which were at home, my feet were fucked, pay attention to your shoes and feet). Most of the towns that have maps in AWOL are good to resupply. Don't really worry about keep a daily schedule. I barely planned the first 4 days to Neel's Gap. From then on I basically grabbed 4 days worth of food every resupply, I never ran out. Some resupplies were shittier than others, I only resupplied at one gas station that had a slightly bigger selection. Keep in mind that this year was the biggest on record, meaning next year will be the biggest on record. Have plans for when things are sold out, like tortillas and tuna. Thai Tuna is your fucking friend. Dollar General is your friend. All in all I gained 10 pounds on the trip, others lost 40+.

Honestly the worst section for food was the last 2 resupplies in Maine. Caratunk and Monson. Both were mom and pop resupplies meaning you had to buy everything individually and my hiker hunger increased in Vermont meaning that I had to fucking buy boxes of bars to eat every single day. Got really fucking pricey and I'm glad I ended it there.

As for mail drops I never used them, mostly because I never planned anything out. Sometimes I wish I did.

I sustained myself on Belvita bars and carnation instant breakfast for breakfast, tortillas and fucking peanut butter for lunch (if I EVER have to eat that again I will kill myself), with some pepperoni, and a cup and a half of minute rice with thai tuna, pine nuts and bacon bits, supplemented with half a block of cheese. And through out the day I'd be eating 1-2 poptarts and 4-6 bars of some kind.
>>
>>846318
How's the pot out there? Some say it's easy to get if you want it, thinking of mail dropping edibles up north since the party crowd tends to never make it that far
>>
>>846323
Anyone and everyone will smoke you up. I'm not a habitual smoker but I could smoke nearly every day in the beginning if I wanted to. Not sure about larger resupplies but I've had dayhikers straight up ask me if I wanted weed.
>>
>>846323
Everybody just "LOVES" 'that guy'
>Got any weed?
> hey got any weed?
> you guys got weed?
> hey, I see you're smoking, can I join?

Bring your own fucking weed you piece of shit.
>>
>>846421

> in the beginning

did you smoke in the blood mountain cabin
>>
>>846573

Unfortunately not.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.