[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

new national "monument"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_9372-1024x682.jpg (463KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9372-1024x682.jpg
463KB, 1024x682px
In Maine's North Woods, forests and rivers that used to feed paper mills will now be permanently protected as a national monument — thanks to a donation by the co-founder of Burt's Bees.

President Obama announced the creation of the Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument on Wednesday, just one day before the 100th anniversary of the National Park Service.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/08/24/491206413/in-maine-land-from-burts-bees-co-founder-is-declared-a-national-monument
>>
Good.
>>
File: lSKf1.gif (29KB, 482x800px) Image search: [Google]
lSKf1.gif
29KB, 482x800px
always nice to hear about this sort of thing
>>
File: nice.jpg (144KB, 417x531px) Image search: [Google]
nice.jpg
144KB, 417x531px
>>
I bet Governor Paul "Trump is totally going to put me on his cabinet" LePage is mightily butthurt about it.
>>
inb4 spergs complain about the feds
>>
>>844540
Meh.

Normally I am opposed to Federal ownership of land that isn't directly necessary for the conduct of government, but she gave it to them. Hopefully she gave them an endowment to cover its ongoing management costs.

People on /k/ absolutely LOVE suckling at the government teat to get Free Stuff, so I am used to the complaining.
>>
>>844548
It's important to note that "federa ownership" is ≈ public land. any land that is excluded from private ownership is effectively a public reserve, even if it's like the off-limits Nevada desert test sites type places right now, it's still public land that may be made available in the future. as far as national momuments, forests, and parks are concerned those federal lands are a total benefit to the public.
>>
>>844548
>Hopefully she gave them an endowment to cover its ongoing management costs.

she did

according to cnn:

The $100 million gift includes the land, which is valued at about $60 million; $20 million to help fund initial park operational needs and infrastructure development; and a pledge of another $20 million of future support, the White House said.
>>
File: Map_of_all_U.S._Federal_Land.jpg (67KB, 450x346px) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_all_U.S._Federal_Land.jpg
67KB, 450x346px
>>844548
She did. I just don't understand why. I am sure part of the lack of understanding comes from the fact that the government owns the vast majority of the land around here and does jackshit with it, besides using it as yet another means of maintaining power. The attitude is probably very different in areas where development is the norm.
>>
>>844585
Oh boy, look at all that "federal land". Shit desert that is good for nothing, other than testing chems.
>>
>>844591
>someone who knows nothing about ecology, geography, or agriculture on /out/ being an arrogant shit
You must be over the age of 18 to post on this site.
>>
>>844585
>does jackshit with it
I wish. I'd be very happy if they left all that land completely alone. But the majority is BLM and NFS land that is ranched, logged, mined, etc.
>>
>>844607
Yep and you have access to mine and log it also.
>>
>Obama helps wealthy donor avoid taxes
>>
>>844698
Yep, just takes some paperwork.
>>
>>844467
Now that's what I call /out/standing!
>>
File: 100528.federal.land.jpg (414KB, 1434x932px) Image search: [Google]
100528.federal.land.jpg
414KB, 1434x932px
>>844585
superior version
>>
>>844585
>and does jackshit with it
My state is ~35% public land (mostly national forest and BLM) and consequentially has some of the best public land hunting opportunities in the US.
>>
File: hi_five.png (3KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
hi_five.png
3KB, 493x402px
>>844710
>>
>>844885
Public land hunters are some of the most vocal welfare queens.
>>
>>844525
Oh they mad.

http://stateandcapitol.bangordailynews.com/2016/08/24/lepage-conservation-chief-renews-argument-against-north-woods-national-park/
>>
/out/ is pretty much the only place I ever hear things about my great home state.

That being said, this is great news :)
>>
>>844947
Stay jelly.
>>
>>844947
>Welfare queers subsidize others

Sure thing commie
>>
>>845115
>>845367

What one person received without working for, another must work for without receiving.

Why should I subsidize your having land to hunt on, when I bought mine on my own?
>>
>>845434
If you really think public land ownership, even for hunting reserves, is that black and white then you really are one daft cunt.
>>
>>845434
The person who gave this land to the public purchased it herself and owned it herself. You have absolutely no leg to stand on here.

Go back to whatever ancap hellhole you crawled out of.
>>
>>844830
>Tennessee valley authority still exists
Well I'll be. Wikipedia says it could be on its way to privatization soon, too
>>
>>845450
To get a highly overstated tax deduction. It's criminal really, done under the guise of charity.
>>
>>845447
Feel free to justify it, rather than fall to ad hominem.
>>
>>845450
I didn't mean this particular gift. On the surface it looks like a private owner did what she wanted with her property and provided a grant for its maintenance, so I have no problem with it.

Guessing that since she closed it to hunting when it was hers she require the government do so as well, probably as conditions of the grant.

Hunters, specifically, whine their fucking asses off when anyone suggests they pay their own way.
>>
>>846104

>Hunters, specifically, whine their fucking asses off when anyone suggests they pay their own way.

If you repeat something retarded over and over you might end up believing your own hallucinations
>>
>>846104
>she require the government do so as well, probably as conditions of the grant

I read an article that said parts would be open for hunting
>>
an area in hawaii just got much larger...to almost 600,000 square miles

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/08/obama-creates-world-s-largest-park-off-hawaii/
>>
>>846120
Only for them to cull the animals they don't like. Think of it as a sanctuary city for rats, skunks and cuckoos
>>
>>845066
No more snowmobiling ,ATV's, trapping or bear hunting. Previous owner, Erving Paper, was very good about access. Loads of old (50-60 years) leased camps were forced to close and be demolished.
>>
>>846276
Snowmobiling is allowed on the east side of the Penobscot and it's the only NPS unit that allows hunting (again on the east side of the river).
>>
>>845554
Hopefully some non-profits take it up though. i don't want some asshole developing the climbing sites that the TVA manages.
>>
>>844830

That's nothing.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.