[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shell jackets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

Can we talk waterproof shells?

My 3 year old marmot precip needs replacing, and I need a new shell. I'm happy to spend more money this time for something that is
>waterproof
>breathable
>durable
>packable

Will be used for rain and snow including climbing/snowmobiling/motorcycling over the top of necessary layers/protection etc.

What's good these days?
Goretex, event, polartec neoshell (pic related but $$$) or something else?
>>
File: sea-shell.jpg (32KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
sea-shell.jpg
32KB, 600x400px
Get one of these OP, its the best shell ive ever used
>>
I worked outdoors for 10 years. Employer supplied all "breathable waterproof" gear. Let me tell you, from all that experiance I will never wear it again. It doesn't work the way it should. You get the worst of both worlds. Soaked from rain/snow, and wet from sweat. So I just go for gear that does the ONE thing I ask of it 100%. Do I want to be dry? I use a fully waterproof layer.
>>
>>844192
Wise words. I also have experiences that suggest breathable and waterproof dont exist together. OP should get good waterproof shell with optionally good ventilation zips or something.
>>
>>844192
>>844195
Strange, my experience with GTX has been much better. It keeps rain out even in torrential downpour, and while it will get sweaty in hot weather, it's still a lot better than something like PVC (which was awful to use while active) and performed really well when things start getting below 15C or so.
>>
File: JX065_BLK_1500_1.jpg (161KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
JX065_BLK_1500_1.jpg
161KB, 1500x1500px
>>844164
2 years ago I got an arc'teryx alpha LT jacket (pic related), it's the bomb dot com, looks like new while being used every time it rains/snows/gets under 15°C. I sweat MUCH less than in cheaper shells, and it keeps the weather out without fail.
>>
>>844164
Why did your shell only last 3 years?
That doesn't seem very long
>>
>>844195
I tend to add grommets to the armpits, under the lapels near the neck and sometimes the lower back.

Any of these let the hot air out. Armpits should be a no brainer since rainwater cant get in there, but you do have to "flap" occasionally to vent the air out.
>>
full disclosure: i'm a mountain hardware fanboy

>>844192 is right, no shell is going to be perfect in both categories.
that being said newer plasmic ion shells are fucking fantastic and do both pretty well. plus they made massive durability improvement on ultralight ones they used to make. it packs really small, breathes fine and has vents under the arm if you want more air. so i think it meets all your reqs.

just know that its "waterpoof" not waterproof. I was caught in a monsoon and it both stuck to me and didn't stop everything from getting through-- but for everyday rain is more than fine.

my lady just picked up a marmot gortex shell and she fucking loves it (not sure if its a precip or fulcrum or whatever). if that marmot worked for you just stick with it.
>>
>>844295
I took a recommendation from someone here
>>
>>844428
And the cycle continues...

I've got an e-vent shell, I rather like it, does what it's supposed to do well. I read they're more finicky than goretex, but i don't use it much or get it filthy so for me that's no problem. your milage may vary.
>>
I also echo the comments suggesting go waterproof or go breathable, don't expect both. The honest truth is that you can have one or the other, and generally speaking if you try to get both you ultimately end up getting neither.

The best design for a "waterproof breathable" is a fabric that is fully waterproof and doesn't breathe at all, BUT where the jacket has venting options that compensate to allow air through in ways that don't let rain in.
>>
>>844225
>arc'teryx alpha LT

Yawn, just another gore-tex pro jacket. You probably spent way too much for.
>>
Outdoor research has something called the "Ascent Shield" I been told it is basically Polartec neo but half the cost.

OR Men's Realm Jacket $223
OR Men's Skyward Jacket $350

Not the cheapest, I probably wouldn't spend that much considering I already have 2 shells, but worth looking into.
>>
File: FILE0874_-L.jpg (109KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
FILE0874_-L.jpg
109KB, 800x600px
>>844164
>snowmobiling/motorcycling
Get something designed for motorsports. They'll perform far better in that activity than the other stuff will.
Also, support the sport.

Snowmobiling... Klim, FXR, HMK, Motorfist... all quality.
Moto... lot more options, depends on the style of riding you do... I have an Adventure jacket with armor built in and vents all over the place I can open/close as needed.
Open everything up, it's a good 3-season jacket.
Close the vents, zip on the neck collar, and zip in the liner... now it's good in the winter.

Know a few guys (mostly-moto, couple-times-a-winter sled) that just wear their motorcycle jacket on the sled.

When I first got into snowmobiling I wore bargain-bin ski/snowboard boots/pants. They worked for a season... soles of the boots got shredded on the running boards of the sled (where my sled boots go 2-3 years, and I ride a *lot*). Pants had a weird shape that probably works well for skiing, but feels restrictive for throwing a leg over the seat.

>>844295
>Why did your shell only last 3 years?
>That doesn't seem very long
3 years is about what I get out of a jacket/pants.
Pants catch branches and running boards, knees get worn through (knee guards + kneeling on any hard-ish surface (ice, packed snow) kind of tears them apart from the inside), jacket catches branches occasionally... when you're riding all season long, shit doesn't last forever.

>>844300
My last few sled jackets have all had big pit zips.
>>
>>844164
Jesus, all this garbage gear.

Guess what.
See those guys snowboarding?
They don't have government gear.
They live on the slopes, ass in the snow(literally)
They buy shit that actually works.

Start with oakly/k2/Burton.
>>
>>844841
>ski/board jackets
Yeah, I should buy an insulated not fully waterproof jacket, with huge brand and fashion markup, because some brodude who replaces it every season (because fashion) uses it for snowboarding. That would definitely be better for backpacking and hiking in a variety of climates than a jacket designed for those purposes and especially better than the kind of jackets used and recommended by through hikers who spend months outdoors or mountaineers.
>>
helly hansen offshore jacket

GREAT shell. had mine for years.
>>
>>844867
Second helly Hansen
>>
>>844867
I have a pair of waterproof HH pants/shell that I bought as hiking/rain pants. Got them at an HH Outlet store, and spent a whole of $40 bucks on them. They work great, and are reasonably lightweight/packable. Only complaint is that they have a mesh lining on the inside, which I'm sure is to make them more vented, but makes a pain in the ass putting on over my hiking boots. (cause rain gear is for when it starts raining, not before) i pair them with a $60 Northface rain shell, and its alright.

The Northface rain shell makes me sweat like a pig, though. Does great if I'm stationary.
>>
Patagonia torrentshell pullover. I got it a bit oversized so it would cover me well. It's a great jacket, and very light weight.
>>
>>844225
>>844613
Yeah he paid too much, but thats just cos its the alpha lt. The alpha ar is the nuts if you need a hardcore mountain jacket, but the lt is just the gamma ar with a different cut for 200 quid more.
Pro shells are expensive cos theyre completely fucking bombproof, but overkill for most things imo
>>
I've been using a Norröna Lofoten jacket which kicks ass. It's basically a shell jacket with a longer cut designed for snow sports.
Had it for five years, still keeps me dry and warm.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.