[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Chicago good for /out/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: images.jpg (11KB, 259x195px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 259x195px
I might have a good job opportunity in Chicago, but one of the things making me hesitate is idk if Chicago is good for outdoors, especially camping/backpacking. Looking on a map there aren't any National Forests or Parks anywhere near there, which is usually where I go to get /out/. Also would it be cold and snowy a lot?
>>
>>843918
Wisconsin is pretty dope, but not much terrain. Illinois outside of Chicago is all soybeans and corn unless you go all the way south or the northwest side of the state. Lake Michigan is basically an ocean so pretty nice in the summer. A handful of forest preserves if you want to take a jog or ride your bicycle and some of them have mediocre fishing spots.

Deep dish pizza sucks. If it's not thin crust, it has to be pan pizza. Deep dish is for tourists.
>>
>>843918
And the cold and snowy part depends where you are coming from and where exactly you are living. There are a couple weeks every winter of real cold (like <20F) and normally only a handful of real snow storms but anything <12" and they can keep up with it.

The wind on those cold days will suck if you are in the loop or somewhere right on the lake with tall buildings. It funnels the wind between the buildings and is awful. But besides that it isn't excessively windy.

Just get a bicycle and hang out on the lakefront bike path for the few months out of the year that you want to go outside. It's a great city but I hate cold weather so I'm in Florida now. I will probably go back in a few years when my house here is underwater and winters in Chicago are in the 60s.
>>
>>843924
>Deep dish pizza sucks
This is why people hate you Pepsifag
>>
>>843968
Especially Lou's. That shit awful
>sauce with chunks of tomatoes
>corn meal crust
Just stop already.

>>843918
Btw OP, where do you live now?

You have to remember Chicago isn't like a lot of other "big" US cities. You have to drive quite a bit to get out of the suburbs and actually be in rural area. Even Atlanta isn't like that, you can drive 30min out of Atlanta and be innawoods. I drive through Nashville a bit and it blows my mind how you can be going through the middle of nowhere and then 15min later and you are coming into downtown.
>>
>>843918
As a resident of Chicago, I can tell you for sure that most of Illinois, especially around Chicago, sucks pretty fucking hard for /out/ related things. There are a few places you can go within an hour or two drive that are...ok...I guess, like Richard Bong State Recreation Area, but all of the nearby places are designed for car camping and do not permit dispersed camping. (Richard Bong is actually pretty nice, considering it's like a two hour drive from where I live in Chicago, but that's only relative to what's nearby). Your best bet in Illinois is Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois, but thats like a 5 hour drive from Chicago, which while not bad, is not convenient if you only have time to go /out/ on weekends. You could probably find a closer place in Wisconsin.

As for winter, it generally hovers between 20 - 40 degrees F from November to December, and from January to March it generally is subzero (as much as 40 below sometimes) to freezing temperatures. This can change depending on the year though, as last winter was actually pretty mild. I don't think it went below 0 more than once last winter.

Honestly, though, your first cold winter can be rough if you're from a warmer state, but you get used to it. Bundle up and you should be okay. I grew up here, though, so I actually like the cold.

As for deep dish, while I don't hate it, it is vastly overrated. Chicago style hot dogs and Italian beef sandwiches are way better in my opinion.
>>
>>843927
>Just get a bicycle and hang out on the lakefront bike path for the few months out of the year that you want to go outside.
why would you want to hang out in an area filled to the brim with yuppies? fucking insuffarable cunts.

>>843999
>Italian beef sandwiches are way better in my opinion.
>thin cut beef on a soggy bun
wew
>>
>>844006
>not liking wet beef
>>
>>844008
let your tongue cradle the delicious meat slices and sweet peppers as it is enveloped in a warm, juice-laden bun
>>
>>843972
You motherfucker, Lou Malnati's is the only decent Chicago style pizza.

Generally I like NY but once in a while...when I am in Chicago.....original Lou's.

>>843918
Yeah the whole of Illinois is 100% shit flyover territory. I say this as someone who lived in Indiana, which is also bad but not Illinois bad. WI is tolerable once you get north of Eau Claire but you need to enjoy fishing or canoeing.
>>
>>843972
I live in Richmond, VA. Used to live a little further north.
I'm fine with driving 2-3 hours for a weekend, it's just that I'm used to having national forests and parks to go hiking and camping, and there doesn't seem to be much around Chicago.

>>844041
>fishing or canoeing
hm. I'm not big on either one unfortunately

Are there any places within 3 hours to do good camping/backpacking? Or is it all 5+ hours away? And what are the local hikes like, are there good places where I can go walk several hours in nature?
>>
>>843968
You wrong faggot deep dish over everything.
>>
>>844041
Pequads over Lou's all day then Gino's east
>>
>>844084
if you're not a fan of fishing or canoeing then largely you're fucked. besides the most obvious lake michigan, there are a bunch of forest preserve lakes and ponds, the fox river is near, and about one to two hours away there's rock river and the two preserves in oregon but that's all geared towards water based activities.

the best in terms of local hiking is probably the des plaines river trail. the trail is long, relatively nice nature wise, and not a crowded as some of the trails at the more popular forest preserves, e.g. busse lake.

3 hour drive will also allow you to enter south/central wisconsin which has a lot more nature wise. i like the castle rock flowage and the surrounding area but in the summer the lake is flooded with tourists.
>>
>>844099
Pequod's is the shit.

How many Chicagofags are on /out/?
>>
File: TheresOnlyOne.jpg (10KB, 133x185px) Image search: [Google]
TheresOnlyOne.jpg
10KB, 133x185px
>>844905
Kane Co reporting in

>You have to remember Chicago isn't like a lot of other "big" US cities

This is true, there are a lot of large cities in the US where you could be driving through farmland/open land come over a hill and see the entire city. Chicago is like LA, where you are still in the suburbs for about 40 miles west of the loop. There is a sign near where I live that says "Chicago 43 miles" and I would consider my neighborhood to be the very edge of the suburbs.

>>844041
bullshit, I grew up in the corn fields and it was a blast. The farther you get from chicago the more freedom you get. I boat and duck hunt the Fox river in fucking south elgin and have seen the DNR out there once. There is plenty to do in Illinois. The only gripe I have is the lack of public shooting areas like they have out west.
>>
>>844971
when you're far enough to not have pace service it's a stretch to consider yourself as living in chicago. you're in the greater chicago area, sure, but you're way too far to say that you live in chicago
>>
>>844041

>You motherfucker, Lou Malnati's is the only decent Chicago style pizza.

confirmed for not being from Chicago
>>
>>846230
Kek.

And the hole in the wall family owned places are always the best. Best pizza I ever had was still thin crust from a place called Wayne's in Arlington Heights. Tiny ass place you could drive past a million times without seeing but they have been around for decades.

I still really like Al's Beef though. I have had some good sandwiches from all sorts of random places but Al's is a go-to for me.

That's the main thing I miss from up there. The pizza and having a little hot dog and gyro place down the street. Don't take that shit for granted because down here if it's not Cuban or Caribbean, lots of the local food places are mediocre so I end up just getting shit from Little Caesar's or Chili's.
>>
Chicagofag here. Working in the Sears tower as I type this.

Chicago sucks massive dicks for /out/. I considered buying a sailboat last year but the mooring fees alone were $3500 a season. Sailing in Chicago is incredible.

Fishing and canoeing is alright. Even then fishing in city proper is just around monroe and montrose harbors for the most part. The chicago river isnt fit for human swimming and the canoeing is mostly around thr fox river and desplanes. The lake salmon which was introduced for sport fishing in the 60s are filled with mercury. Perch season is pretty ok.

Basically what other people have said, if you want to hike you'll have to drive a minimum of 6 hours to go anywhere. If you're making fat money and can take time off Ohare is awesome for flights to other places. I take a check my hiking bag in a singlestrap top load and do weekend hikes around the country.

Going to Isle Royale in 3 weeks for a 7 day trip.

JB albertos is the best pizza on the northside. Any other northside pizza is for yuppies and deepdish is the best pre hiking calorie load food on earth.
>>
>>846330
Cont. Swimming in lake michigan is mostly a no-go if the winter was harsh. If the lake froze over in the winter don't expect the lake to be warm enough to properly enjoy until august. The parks are nice for biking but overall the city isn't bike friendly.

There's skydiving in the cornfield burbs to the southwest, scuba is terrible here unless you want to find bodies, horseback riding in lake county, you can kill as many asian carp as you want with bows in the illinois river. Gunlaws are harsh, I do all my shooting in wisconsin. Bowhunting for deer. People in the burbs own snowmobiles, dirt bikes and other hillbilly shit. There's only one place to ski.

There are pretty damn beautiful places in illinois and the spring season has some of the best weather of anywhere.

Chicago is a swampy onion farm built on the bodies of dead natives, confederates, blacks, the irish and eastern european immigrants. I love this city and getting /out/ is a hassle but there are a tons of things to do.
>>
>>846331
As an aside if you fall in lake michigan in the colder months. You die. It's a crazy hostile body of water. One of the worst I've ever been on, weather patterns change frequently and the water temperature makes it so that wearing a life vest is almost a joke.

So while sailing is awesome it's deceptively dangerous. The other week I saw some turkish guy near the river fall under his friends came up and he did not. Pulled under by the current and dragged along the rocks, DOA.
>>
>>846333
Yeah the river kills people all the time too. Like that kid that tried to get his cell phone last winter.

The salmon aren't bad for you though. You're really fine eating anything that's migratory...all the fish that are there year-round are sketchy though.
>>
>>843918
We have lots of small, scattered preserves, but few big ones that permit activities like camping, or even hiking without the faint sound of traffic in the background.
>>
>>844997
Interesting concept, but I live about 25 miles out in north-central DuPage and I can get Pace service. I wouldn't call my area Chicago.
>>
>>846814
He lives in Elgin but tells people he is from Chicago and uses that to justify it.

>>846331
The sailboat people on the lake are a bunch of cunts. Also owning a boat up there is a fuckinh waste of money. I'm just glad you didn't call it the Willis Tower.
>>
>>846819
How the fuck is owning a boat on Lake Michigan a waste?

Also do people actually say they're from Chicago when they live in the middle of fucking nowhere?
>>
>>846836
I had a couple jet skis when I was up there, and they were such a waste of money. It costs money to register and insure a boat and the trailer, then you have to keep up with all the maintenance (boats are not cheap to work on) then you need to think about storage in the winter and then in the summer when you can use it there are normally fees to launch it or dock it at the harbor.

Then there is Chicago weather. There are 3 or 4 months a year when you want to be on the water. If you work M-F, than means only a handful of weekends. Subtract the weekends where you have other obligations. Plud a few of those weekends might be rainy or have a cold front where it is only 65F and you will get pneumonia if you get wet. The holiday weekends mean the lakes and rivers are packed so a smaller sailboat will have fun with all of the wakes. So you end up using the thing 2 or 3 times a year.

Only way I would ever want to own a boat up there again is if I lived on the water and had the thing docked in my backyard.
>>
>>846814
having pace service wasn't a catch all for being considered as living in chicago, but rather the fact that the surburb he lives in is so far that pace doesn't even service it. the suburb i live in is contained within chicago, and i can walk to the chicago border within one minute, but i still don't say that i live in chicago but rather the suburbs.
>>
>>846331
>Gunlaws are harsh, I do all my shooting in wisconsin.
unless you live in chicago proper, or one of the cucked suburbs like oak park, then the gun laws really aren't that bad. crook county has an assault weapon ban, but as far as i know they never persecuted anyone under it, and suburbs that have home rule (most of them do) are considered exempt from it.
>>
>>844099
>>844905
Absolute dankest taste bros
>>
Any Chicagofags hike the Ice Age Trail? How would it be in early October?
>>
File: 106054475_medium_8fccd3.jpg (74KB, 416x555px) Image search: [Google]
106054475_medium_8fccd3.jpg
74KB, 416x555px
I'm from South-Central WI, live in Milwaukee, have visited Chicago plenty as I have family in the Gary area (requiring a passing through of the city, but I've been to Chicago dozens of times for the city itself too).
I don't know much about IL /out/. Tbh I think its one of the worst states, Chicago is literally the only interesting thing that state has to offer.
but the Indiana Dunes are not far, they're within an hour or so and is a nice area for sure.
For stuff within 1-4 hours in WI:
As someone noted, Bong is a nice park with ample hiking
Devil's Lake State Park in Baraboo offers ample hiking as well, with rock climbing and awesome views. Pic related.
Carver-Roehl County Park (Carvers Rock) in Rock Co is a beautiful place, especially in the fall.
Governor Dodge State Park is not far and has similar views and hiking options to Devil's Lake
Janesville is where I grew up and it's the "city of parks" and hosts plenty of large forest areas to hike around and get lost in
Camp Indian Trails is cozy camping
Milwaukee is undoubtedly better for enjoying Lake Michigan in an urban setting unless you have tons of money, and also has a great parks system for a city its size (~650,000). It's a really fun city in its own right, if you want to know more about dining and entertainment here I can tell you.

But save for Devil's Lake and Governor Dodge, if you want more rugged terrain and challenging hikes you'll have to go up North, like past Wausau. Northern WI has some areas that give the appearance of being in foothills and has so many camping opportunities that I can't even get into them now. But expect a 6+ hour drive for that.
>>
>>846994
>>847786
Also, Ice Age trail is pretty nice, but don't expect much. Pretty basic nature trail that even children would have no problems with. That said, there are some really pretty areas. Early October is my favorite time of year so I'd say you couldn't pick a better time to do it.
>>
>>843918
Another Chi native reporting. Yes, winters can be brutal. And no there aren't any out type of places that you're after without a drive, but that's not such a bad thing. The city has a lot to offer if you're up to it. Like others have said, biking the lake front, sailing, kayaking the river, etc. And there are loads of little sports clubs (soccer, softball, etc.) to get involved in; I'm sure there's something out oriented to find there or meet the like minded. All around it's a nice city, big, but each neighborhood has its own small town vibe (the loop is like Main St. in any small town in America, after 6 pm it's dead). Also Lou's is best 'go 'za, Mr Beef (on Harlem) best beef.
>>
>>843918
Chicago style is not pizza, its sauce bowls.
>>
>>847786
>live in Milwaukee
>I have family in the Gary
basketball american detected
>>
>>847914
Try again
I go to grad school in Milwaukee and my family is from Munster/Griffith/Hammond. Gary is just the most recognizable town in that area of NW Indiana

Btw, Janesville (where I'm from) has like a 0.05% black population.
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 500x683px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 500x683px
>>848003
Don't bother. Dude outed himself as a retard from the get go. You're from Janesville? My folks have a farm near Boscobel. Ever go out the driftless for trout fishing? Best kept secret in WI.
>>
>>848014
>Let me interject for a moment to express how much I love black cock!
ftfy
>>
>>848021
That's not how that works. Why don't you fuck off back to your containment board fedora tipping fatboy with a fungle infection under his folds of lard because he hasn't been outside or bathed in months spending his time eating hot pockets and failing at trolling the Internet saying nigger nigger nigger make great again fucking fail at life loser?
>>
>>848021
>>848025
Ftfy you useless gimp
>>
>>848025
>>848026
seems that lack of black dick makes you quite irritated. you need to calm down, bro. i'm sure you'll get some soon enough.
>>
File: image.gif (1MB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1MB, 256x192px
>>848026
>>>/pol/ pls go, much as IRL, you're contributing nothing here
>>
>>848037
>pls go, much as IRL, you're contributing nothing here
You're right anon, we need more illegals, moslems and more crippling debt to make American Great!

Thank you for Correcting the Record!
>>
>>847786
>Gary
I am sorry about your family
>>
>>848037
>>>/r/eddit
>>>/t/umblr
your 4 posts of butthurt sure contributed a lot. much like in real life, you're a hypocrite here. other than when it comes to your love of black dick, that is.
>>
So let me get this strait, you have an oportunity to progress, and you are squandering it because you might have to drive to go on a fucking nature walk?

I hope the adult that applied gets the job.
>>
>>848062
>because you might have to drive to go on a fucking nature walk
Shows how much you know of the area, he would have to drive for nearly half a day to reach any good place for /out/ activities, you know, the subject this board is about.
>>
>>848062
>how dare you squander your opportunity to get slightly more material wealth, goy! do you not realize this is the sole meaning of life?
>>
>>848064
If OP is making decision based on /out/ ops vs the fact that he might die, because, you know, ...Chicago...., OP is an idiot anyway. Or white. OP does has less of a chance of dying if white.
>>
File: Who could be behind this post.png (1KB, 23x585px) Image search: [Google]
Who could be behind this post.png
1KB, 23x585px
>>848066
>If OP is making decision based on /out/ ops vs the fact that he might die, because, you know, ...Chicago...., OP is an idiot anyway. Or white. OP does has less of a chance of dying if white.
Well lets think this through together retard, since you are clearly struggling with this.

The subject of this board is the outdoors, OP is wondering if his job opportunity in Chicago would make sense if one of his major hobbies would be denied to him if he made the move.

Now you are putting forth that earning money is a more worthwhile expenditure of ones time than fulfilling hobbies.

You then backpedal and say OP could die while not knowing that almost all the death that isnt attributed to natural causes happen in the ghetto. Furthermore it doesnt take much to realize that if OP is being offered a job in a different city that he considers to be good that he wouldnt be living in the ghetto.

tl;dr
>who could be behind this post
>>
>>848066
Fuck off
>>
File: 1460539914256.jpg (37KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1460539914256.jpg
37KB, 480x360px
I'm from south of Chicago on the kankakee river. Boating jet skis and fishing. Plenty of hunting to keep me entertained growing up. Some decent waterfowl opportunities. You can find missing spots and lots of ponds. My friends and I would take a day and gather catfish, tons of crayfish for a boil and all the frogs we could get and have a big get together. It is what you make of it really. There is deer to hunt fox to trap and birds to shoot.
>>
>>848068
That was my only post in this thread so I have no idea what you're going on about.
>>848069
And I thought you loved me Peps...
Seriously, do you argue the act that if OP is black and lives in Chicago he has more chance of being killed by another black man than damned near anywhere else in this country?

Don't get me wrong, I love Shameless......
>>
>>848123
>Seriously, do you argue the act that if OP is black
He has a job opportunity in a new city, that means he isnt black, use your brain.
>>
>>848095
That is basically "Downstate IL" as far as anybody in Chicago is concerned.

>>848123
I just hate all the "Chiraq" and "Chicago is a warzone" bullshit. It's not like that. It's a bunch of stupid nigs in a few neighborhoods with big egos who got ahold of guns. Don't get caught up with those people and it will be fine.
>>
>>848040
>Moslems
18th century get a hold of a time machine or shitposting in a thread on a topic in which you know nothing about? What's the pay like being a Putin troll?
>>
>>848155
probably not as good as being a hill shill.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.