[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mountaineering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: c1qmCXZ.jpg (182KB, 1920x971px) Image search: [Google]
c1qmCXZ.jpg
182KB, 1920x971px
How can someone who lives in southeast USA get into mountaineering?
>>
>>843683
By moving
>>
File: post-3492-0-86526700-1392999988.jpg (119KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
post-3492-0-86526700-1392999988.jpg
119KB, 520x390px
>>843686
>>
>>843708
>being annoyed by the correct answer
fuckin retard

alternatively by spending lots on travel
>>
>>843683
Depending on where you live, it may get cold enough in some places to learn to ice climb. Rock climbing skills and ice climbing skills translate easily into mountaineering rope work. Mountaineering in it's easiest form, is just hiking uphill all day with a heavy pack. Winter camping skills translate directly into mountaineering travel. Glacier travel and crevasse rescue is easy enough to learn the theories, and practice systems, but really navigating complex glaciers is best taught by other skilled climbers and or guides. "Mountain sense" develops over time, and the ability to read snow packs and mountain weather.
>>
>>843683
>>844088
Continued
Living in the south east, you can still travel every now and again for easier mtneering routes to get an idea of the sport. Especially at somewhat lower consequence altitudes
Key hole route - Longs Peak CO
Mt Shasta is a good choice
South Spur route - Mt Adams WA
Coleman Denning - Mt Baker WA
Easton Glacier - Mt Baker WA
Mountaineers Route - Mt Whitney CA
>>
>>844088
>>844094
>>844094
Continued

Final thoughts,
Don't discount how much fitness plays into mountaineering. Cardio, cardio, cardio. Mountaineering is misery endurance. Slow steady steps for thousands of feet. Getting in a rhythm on a long ascent is almost like meditation. But strong legs, lungs and core are important.

Gear
Mountaineering is definitely a gear intensive sport. Boots, crampons, ice axe, ropes, harness, carabineers and such (too much individual stuff could be needed for technical ascents to list), tent, stove & fuel (canister stoves work kinda poorly in low temps, liquid fuel works better in the mtns) sleeping pad (my pack is from cold cold world and has a foam frame that pulls out into a pad and I use an inflatable pad for warmth, bag (usually best to have them rated to around 0degrees, I use down because it compresses so nice, but my down is the hydrophobic coated stuff from RAB) glacier goggles, gps helps in a white out, altimeter is nice for navigation, compass back up, small repair kit, clothing layers for a frustrating dichotomy--lighter clothes to hide from the sun when it is hot, warm clothes (hat, puffy jacket, gloves, etc) for when it is inevitably stormy and cold, base layers you'll never change out of and smell absolutely foul. I usually wear softshell pants and keep a super light pair of hardshell pants in my pack for high winds. I have a combination puffyvest/fleece long sleeve from OR that I climb in, and have a hardshell top for high winds. Different types of gloves or mittens are nice. My mittens saved my hands in a storm at 15,000ft that trapped my party in a crevasse. It's an amazing sport, it's risky, (friend got lost at 15k in the storm looking for lost gear and froze to death before he could find the crevasse again) but it is freedom.
>>
>>844088
>>844094
>>844113
Wow thanks man.

Also,
>friend froze to death
That blows
>>
>>844094
Can confirm, have done south spur of Mt Adams. I want to do Ranier in the next couple of years and move to Colorado with all the 14ers
>>
>>844088
>>844094
>>844113
people like you are why I come to /out/
thanks anon
>>
>>844469
I bet he shitposts just as much as the rest of us
>>
>>844113
What mtn did your friend die on
>>
>>844664
Liberty ridge on Mt Rainier. Our parties accident was just published in 2016 accidents in North American mtneering
>>
>>844469
Np anon. Happy trails. See you in the mountains
>>
>>844549
Can confirm
>>
>>844235
Just remember the snow packs in CO are tailor made to murder people in winter, but as soon as spring thaw sets in, the snow pack turns to cement and it's fucking game on. I loved living in CO, and miss it dearly. Trapped on the easy coast and itching to move back west to WA
>>
>>844235
>>845486
Oh, also, what route were you thinking of?
>>
>>845479
http://www.outsideonline.com/1924121/how-did-six-climbers-die-mount-rainiers-liberty-ridge
?

Also, (OP here) I will be starting graduate school for electrical engineering in January in Alabama. Should I wait til i graduate/ get a career before pursuing mountaineering hobby? I assume it takes a good deal of money to get into properly?
>>
>>844664
>>845479
Oh also, AINAM got the report wrong, we lost our stove desperately trying to dig a snow pit for our tent, but the winds were waaaay to high for our tent, and in the scramble to repack our tents, my buddy probably misplaced the bottle/pump and he volunteered to go look for it because we were fucking dying of dehydration and AMS, we climbed 10k ft of the ridge in 16hrs on 2L of H2O each. I've never been so desperate for water and so dehydrated. Longest night I've ever had, trying not to freeze to death in a crevasse. It's actually likely, that had our friend made it back to the cave, and my other buddy and I didn't use his sleeping bag in combo with ours, we might not have made it. Not bragging anon. Just putting the sport in context.
Aside, a mentor of mine almost died on thr liberty ridge in 1976 when he was my age.
>>
File: cameringo_20160825_192233.jpg (1MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
cameringo_20160825_192233.jpg
1MB, 2160x3840px
>>845491
That was a few years ago. This is the account from my party.
>>
>>845491
Eh, not necessarily, there may be an outing club or on campus recreation program. Certainly you'll find folks to rock climb with, and camp with. Those skills are a good baseline, and you can slowly accumulate gear. A summer trip to CO or PNW with some other folks who want to get into the sport would help. You could also find a guided trip. My buddy who I huddled with is guiding on Rainier this summer (I had to hang up my gear for the summer truthfully)
>>
>>845492
Yea sorry if Im prying into your personal life a bit. I read about expeditions that go wrong to kind of get an idea of what can possibly go wrong/ maybe learn how to stop some of these things from happening when I get into the sport.

Obviously you can't prepare for everything, but i like to tell myself that this could help.

So far I've learned that above 8km all bets are off and you can just lose your shit
>>
>>845497
No worries at all anon. Just kinda embarrassing to get your name into the ONE book climbers actively try to keep your name OUT of.
>>845497
Also don't discount 7K M peaks, they're a little attainable. I went to Pakistan in 2011 chasing really high elevation dreams. Trying for Inshinca Valley in Peru or Denali in 2018.
Climbing has a lot of accidents to learn from, and it has a lot of good info and a lot of bad info. It gets a bad wrap. And ive aged my parents a good deal. But there's nothing like it
>>
>>845497
>>845499
Though I will say, above 21,000ft, getting out of a tight sleeping bag is enough to make you winded. Altitude is bizzare. You can read about it, but until you experience it, youre never sure what it's actually like.
>>
>>845491
Although EE should set you up with the kind of income that will make this as a hobby way more achievable too anon. This is wrapped up in my profession otherwise i would never ever be able to afford it.

It's also not a rush thing, I spent a long time learning and practicing and such. Lots of basics. Camping, navigation, wilderness medicine, all good basics. And finding mentors. Lots of food books and online resources available.
>>
>>845487
>tfw east coast least coast

Yeah I feel you dude. I'm on the east coast as well. I lived in Seattle for a summer and got a taste of the glorious national parks and mountains within a 3 hour radius. Colorado or Washington is the goal right now. As far as route I want to do on Ranier, probably the DC route since I think that would give me the most opportunity for success. My brother lives out there and did Adams with me, so we gonna try and do it sometime soon
>>
>>845934
DC is a great idea to get the ball rolling and a good step up after Adams.
>>
>>845506
Should i read Freedom of the Hills?
>>
>>847507
If you can find a copy for free, or at the library, etc. It's a good read for general systems theory, how camping skills and mountain skills interact on an expedition. But the technical aspects of the book are very basic. Depending on your experience with general climbing it can be good, or more of the same. The same goes for the chapter on navigation. So it's good info, but not valways worth the price
If you are looking for a good library by topic
Navigation - "Staying Found"
Camping/expedition travel - "bill and teds excellent backpacking book" published by NOLS
Rock climbing - "rock climbing: master the basics" by the mountaineers series
Ice climbing - "how to ice climb" by Will Gadd, published by the mountaineers series.
Lead climbing/getting on the sharp end - "traditional lead climbing, surviving the learning years" - H Pesterfield (a little info is outdated, but the basics and philosophy is good, along with a lot of individual examples
Training - "training for the new alpinism" by Steve House (also good for the stoke/psych factor)
Alpine climbing/avalanche awareness - "alpinism, skills to take you higher" published by the mountaineers series
Glacier travel - "glacier travel and crevasse rescue" by Simpson

It also helps to get guide books for some regions to read route descriptions and get a sense of what different kind of climbs entail.
Those are ones that come to mind.
Don't worry, FOTH is a good start, if you find it, go cover to cover. Try to practice as much as you can.
>>
>>845497
Above 7000m climbing stops becoming a pleasurable activity. Personally having spoken to people with multiple 8000m summits under their belt my aspirations are now set on technical 4000/5000/6000m peaks and routes. Having been up to ~6000m I have trouble imagining myself doing any genuine 'climbing' higher than that.

>>845499
The Cordillera Blanca is an amazing range. I climbed Ishinca and Urus Este last summer. Hoping to return with more technical expertise in the future.
>>
>>847851
Yea I agree with that. I'd like to do Denali someday, but I doubt I'd go higher than that.

I would love to look off the top of Everest, but I don't want to endure the suffering to get there
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.