[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 48

File: IMG_6965-800hut2.jpg (163KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6965-800hut2.jpg
163KB, 800x533px
No Questions That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread so I'm making one.

Thinking of going bush to study and get away in the Tasmanian Central Highlands Plateau. There are equipped huts all over the shop im just wondering what /out/ would bring as sustenance for about 5 days.

>pic related, the nicest hut up there.
>>
File: mec forge 65.jpg (55KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
mec forge 65.jpg
55KB, 900x900px
>>842683
what is wrong with this bag?
>>
>>842749
It's in my price range (180 CAD), large (65L) enough for my needs, aluminum frame, bottom+top access but I know there must be something better.
>>
>>842749
>>842757
I don't see anything wrong with this pack, looks sturdier like an osprey counterpart + it has a front opening lid, which is a big plus imo. Try it on if you have the chance, but I'd go for it desu.
>>
>>842749
Id buy it. But im waiting for my denali to die.
>>
Is there any good way to get /out/ if you don't own a car, and can't take a week off just to walk a few hundred miles to the nearest national park and back?
>>
What should I make sure to bring with me for a 2 nighter in San Isabel National Forest in Colorado? It's my first overnighter in a decade, just 2 friends and I

pic unrelated
>>
>>842795
Search for busses.
>>
This may seem like a very dumb question but if you wanted to fly to another country or even just another state to go /out/, how do you bring your axes and shit? Will hiding it in your luggage actually be okay? Do you just buy a new axe when you get to your destination?
>>
How do i obtain kindle for lighting fire innawoods? should i peel it off trees or look for something on the ground ?
>>
>>842848
Kindling or tinder?

If you mean kindling I think you are supposed to find it on the ground because peeling the bark off of many species of trees causes damage, a few don't mind it like some birch, but unless you are sure you won't be doing damage it's inadvisable to just pull stuff off willy nilly.
>>
>>842853
sorry i meant tinder to start the fire
>>
>>842854
Much of that depends on your area, the weather and the flora. If it rains a lot you might want to bring some with you, you can find shit around the house that's good and packs well like dryer lint and cotton balls, you can even make something like char cloth or something more unorrthadox stuff like steel wool and a 9volt,. In some areas there are native fungi and plants that make great fire carriers and kindling, cat's tail and tinder fungus are two examples, as well as anything common and like dead grasses in the dry season. Then there's other stuff you might find lying around like pine rosin and some barks/tree sheddings that are pretty fire prone.

Of course that's all on top of just basic wood shavings from any dry source of wood and a knife, which can be gotten off the ground, or from your main firewood source.
>>
File: 21445233.jpg (165KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
21445233.jpg
165KB, 800x600px
>>842863
i live in the middle east in israel, our forests tend to look like this, any idea which one i can find?
>>
>>842866
Well I can't say I'm any sort of expert on the area, but it looks like you should be able to find a good amount of dead grasses and other stuff on the ground that should make good tinder.

But since I can't say for certain, I'd suggest carrying something like cottonballs with you in an air tight container and having a sharp knife you could use to make thin wood shavings with. Sorry I can't be of much help. Maybe some other more knowledgeable anon can help you.
>>
>>842868
It's alright thanks for your help, how exactly should i go about making wood shavings?isn't it damaging to trees?
>>
File: Mora-Shaving-Tinder.jpg (3MB, 2160x1733px) Image search: [Google]
Mora-Shaving-Tinder.jpg
3MB, 2160x1733px
>>842871
For wood shavings, you make those from dried dead wood. This can either be firewood that you are already planning to use for the fire you are making, or from gathered fallen pieces of wood.
>>
>>842875
so i pick up dry dead wood from the ground, shave them and this can function as a tinder right?
>>
>>842877
Yes to my knowledge.as long as it is dry and cut fairly thinly it should work well
>>
>>842683
Also, how much Metho and Kerosene will i need to run a lantern and stove for that time?
>>
Is this a good carabiner to hold my keys?
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/climbing-carabiners-quickdraws/rocklock-screwgate-2nd-BD2102750000ALL2.html#start=1
>>
File: dscf9169.jpg (108KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
dscf9169.jpg
108KB, 1024x768px
>>842877
make feather sticks, even if the wood is soaked from days of rain, the inside will be dry. Feather sticks are the best tinder.
>>
>>842797
Water.
2 nights isn't a big deal.
You can survive with a jacket and some food from 7-11 on the way there.

Start with that concept and think of where you'd want to be comfortable.
I'm old so sleeping matt and pillow would be on my list.
>>
I want to go travelling Europe but hostels and AirBnB are expensive as fuck

Do you think pitching a tent somewhere deep in a large park at night is a good idea?
>>
File: 1442178157084.jpg (358KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1442178157084.jpg
358KB, 1000x750px
where might this photo have been taken, and what kind of trees are in it?
>>
File: punpun.png (521KB, 590x598px) Image search: [Google]
punpun.png
521KB, 590x598px
Floridafag here. I'm going to travel north via hitching. No place in particular.

I have 65L ruck full of essentials and a bike in case I have no luck with rides. Any tips on hitching? Which states should I visit? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>842836
If you pay to have your bag checked, you can take axes and knives no problem (if you're in the US)

You just can't have those things in your carry on.

You can even take handguns in checked luggage (a whole different process and paperwork, but you can)

What you can't take on a plane at all is fuel canisters. Virtually everything else in your kit will be fine if you check your bag.

I fly all over the west coast every week for work, and bring my big ass knife with me everywhere I go. Had my bag "randomly searched" 3 times now, and it's never been taken.
>>
>>842757
>>842770
Ty for replying, I decided to get it.
>>
>>843277
Might be some type of mangrove saplings.

Can't say for sure though, just an uneducated guess.
>>
>>843418
Dude, I checked my handgun curbside.
Its easy process, no big deal, no extra cost.

Funny side note had my hand swabbed for explosive material per TSA bs- didn't detect anything even though I cleared the chamber at the curb 30 minutes beforehand...
>>
>>843502

Unless by clearing the chamber you mean that you fired randomly in to the air, then you've not some anything that the swab is designed to detect, cool guy
>>
>>842875
>>843047
How do you know if wood you find on the ground is dry enough?

Is there an infographic on how to start a proper fire?
>>
>>843684
Wet wood will still burn on an established fire. Theres just more smoke from it.

Once you get your fite started, get smaller pieces of wood/kindling (once again, even wet will still burn if fire is solid enough)

Dead standing wood is likely dry on the inside as well. If you process it down enough, splitting cutting, etc, then you'll have no trouble.

Always get more firewood than you think you'll need (and it's still not going to be enough) you can dry out your wood supply next to the fire as well.
>>
I need a 1 person tent, and a sleeping bag. I'm doing regular day trips. When I do longer trips I just book cheap af overnight stays. However I rather be alone and be at peace.

Anyone recommendations for a proper tent and sleeping bag for -5C - 30C range?
>>
File: swag-wing-s-darkblue-00.jpg (40KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
swag-wing-s-darkblue-00.jpg
40KB, 500x500px
>>843828
Although I don't live in the same climate as you, I bought a pop up tent/swag for this kind of thing (when I take my motorbike to remote places and need shelter for the night). You roll your sleeping bag up in it and its all in one piece. Then when you're ready to sleep you just unfurl it and whack two pegs in and you're good to go.

something like http://www.realsmart.com.au/weisshorn-king-single-swag-dome-tent-ripstop-canvas-camping-4wd-biking-w-carry-bag-navy.html?CAWELAID=730009170000152046&catargetid=730009170000080570&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6O-9BRDjhYXH2bOb8Z4BEiQAWRduk1LuruvEsb93wkg6n-tDr40dg0p8J5UeAS5wHrqNmYoaAjJA8P8HAQ

with a decent sleeping bag could be the ticket.
>>
>>843828
Personally I am a fan of single-wall tents for cold weather, because there is never going to be an issue with managing rain. Using a single-wall tent instead of double also helps balance the additional weight of carrying a heavier sleeping pad and sleeping bag. Consider a tent like the Black Diamond Firstlight, Integral Designs Chock Solo or if you want to be hardcore you can go down to a bivvy.

For a sleeping pad, you want any single pad or combination of pads that gives a minimum of R-5 insulation. Higher is obviously better. I frequently camp on snow with R-5.7 and it definitely works, but after a night I can tell that I have been losing body heat due to melted snow beneath me. Moving up to R-7 or higher clearly causes less snow melt (meaning less heat loss) but means carrying more. Good single pads include the Thermarest NeoAir XTherm (R-5.7), Exped Downmat 7 (R-5.9) or Exped Downmat 9 (R-8). Insulation is additive, so combining an R-2 foam mat with R-5.7 air mat is the equivalent of R-7.7 insulation.

For a sleeping bag in the -5C to -30C range, you will probably want to go with something rated to around -20C. If you get a bag too warm, you will find it difficult to get comfortable in the 'warmer' temperatures around -10C to -5C. I have a -40C bag and in those temperatures I often have to sleep wearing a jacket and the top of the bag unzipped. Conversely, a GOOD -20C bag will be warm enough down to -30C or colder when combined with some good base+midlayer clothing, proper sleeping pad, and tent shelter. I have used a -7C bag comfortably in -15C while wearing fleece, and uncomfortably (but obviously survivable) down to -23C. Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends are premium brands.

Lastly, for single nights it will not be an issue, but if you are sleeping multiple nights sub-zero, you should consider sleeping in a vapour barrier to prevent moisture from collecting in your sleeping bag and reducing the effective insulation.
>>
Want to get into archery and wind surfing, Chicagoland suburbs. Wolf Lake for wind surfing. No idea where to start with either: what type of bow? Arrows? Where to wind surf (Wolf Lake in IN?) and where to rent, or what's recommended. Just starter tips I guess would be appreciated. My cousin has a target at our grandma's, a bow, and arrows but shit little cousi ns put the bow somewhere we can't find. Would shoot with composite bow and it's fun but an archery buddy suggested recurve. Thanks.
>>
Any good youtube channels for basic survival videos/instructions like making fire etc?
>>
>>843957

Funny, I intend to use it when I bike to places. I like hiking better, but most suitable hiking spots are far away from where I live.

Thanks for poiting me in the right direction. I don't want to make a too big investment, since I first have to figure out if it is something suitable for me.

>>844035

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will most likely undertake trips from spring untill late fall. Hence I don't have to focus on the cold that much (and therefore the maximum is -5 C). This offers me a good overview of what to look out for.
>>
>>843957

>pop up tent/swag whack two pegs in and you're good to go.

It's no easier than any tent, overpriced and looks meme tier desu
>>
Burger here, going to be traveling to Glasgow in a few weeks. I'll have a few days and want to do something /out/ related, and britbongs here, wat do? Really would just like to walk around somewhere nice and green, since I live in a desert and i'm sick of brown.
>>
File: 20160824_202856.jpg (2MB, 3188x1793px) Image search: [Google]
20160824_202856.jpg
2MB, 3188x1793px
>>842683
Anybody know what the fuck kind of plant this is? It was growing in the middle of this giant-ass patch of ~2.5' tall weeds out back. Didn't wanna just chop it down if it's something need so I trimmed around it with the weedeater so as to get the weeds but not the shrub.

Oklahomafag btw.
>>
>>844673
*if it's something neat
>>
>>844673
Probably something you don't want, bit I personally let my shit grow to see what it does and I have passion fruit this year.
Crazy looking alien flower. Haven't gotten any fruit because of the deer, I keep meaning to put a net over some of it.
>>
>>844681
The main stem is growing sideways out of the ground and is about a quarter diameter thick. Based on what it looks like right now I'll just keep the weeds trimmed and start watering it and see what it grows into, unless someone comes along and says it's a definite don't-want plant.
>>
>>844360
Glasgow isn't a nice place

You could try Seven Lochs, but I've never been there
>>
>>844182
Can anyone help with wind surfing? I was on my phone at work earlier which is why that message has atypical grammar and syntax for a chan
>>
>>844843
Windsurfing- no clue bro.
I do skateboarding (like 1990 style you posers) surfing and snowboarding.
Bow is easy. Find a cheap bow to start with and like 20 arrows (2$ each at Walmart). Any bow, doesn't matter what type.
Shoot it and if you lime it after a month, find the real forums.
>>
>>844688
Let it grow man.
I have some cool plants that my friend hates.
I can't remember the name (blame the rocky mountain spring water) but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
>>
>>844186
anyone?
>>
File: gloves.jpg (313KB, 1596x1008px) Image search: [Google]
gloves.jpg
313KB, 1596x1008px
Are military or tactical gloves like the ones from Oakley (pic related) of any use for outdoor activities like climbing trees, carrieng branches or rocks, etc?
Are they made solely for shooting and will break quite fastduring such tasks?

Any good alternatives?
>>
>>844360
also Loch Lomond national park is beautiful but takes ages to get to
>>
Recommend me a gud knife sharpener plz. Perferably something NOT as autistic as pic related
>>
File: 51mdLZVKAUL._SX522_.jpg (11KB, 522x392px) Image search: [Google]
51mdLZVKAUL._SX522_.jpg
11KB, 522x392px
>>845019
a ceramic sharpening stone like from naniwa or chroma?
>>
>>844681
>>844871
turns out it was Moon Lillies, this is a rental home and neighbor said he planted some there some years back and they just now started growing because I had chopped all the other competition down.
>>
>>844912
Oakley gloves are good quality generally but you can get Mechanix for 1/3 the price that are just as good and don't have the stupid hard knuckles.
>>
>>845019 This one. Hasn't let me down yet https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSGFS221-Guided-Sharpener/dp/B009YKHZ96/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472177257&sr=8-1&keywords=Work+Sharp+Guided+Field+Sharpener+%28WSGFS221-C%29
>>
Anyone know some sort of thing I can put food/trash in overnight similar to those bear canisters?

Looking for something that hides smells.
>>
>>845533
Trash bag and a rope... only cheap thing I can think of. or you can buy a bear proof trashcan, like we got here in Florida... depends how hardcore at car camping you are! lol
>>
I work leading crews for a state conservation corps. Ask me anything.
>>
>>845553
What do you pay to suck a nigga cock?
>>
>>844864
Got same advice from the bow thread, thanks. Might check out surfing- seasons over I take it?
>>
>>845029
>>845461
Thx for the rec.
I'll buy both just to try each out
>>
>>845029
Can i use a wetstone on high carbon steel or will that just fuck up the blade?
>>
>>845619
>>845605
just have a look into a good knife message board. there you will get good recommendations and tutorials.
>>
>>845019

Dude, it might be expensive, it is a fine tool. Only ppl who call it autistic are poor fags and retards. My dad and bro are knife makers, dad has been on for forty some thing yrs, my bro about twenty. Both of them love the shit out of the WE, both bought and use one. Playing with it myself, you can't get any thing finer for desk sharpening.

If you're poor as fuck (which kinda seems you are) go with a work sharp.

Def worth the money. They got a smaller , cheaper one.
>>
How do i begin survival mode innawoods? i already have camping experience but i don't know how to make a fire, fish/hunt for food, deal with weather emergencies etc, where do you suggest i start? is there a good youtube channel around for those things?
>>
>>845690
I'd be interested in this too. Youtube, books, webpages, infographics, anything at all to start me off. I've never so much as camped before, I have aspirations to do all sorts of /out/ activities but I think I ought to start with baby steps since I have no experience and no equipment.
>>
I'm planning to move to NH this winter. I've done a bit of hiking in Connecticut and Mt. Washington. Anybody want to help me out with some of the better places to get /out/? I'd like to hit the ground running with some backcountry skiing in January. I'd also like to know which 4ks are the best hikes in Spring.
>>
File: 1439579248398.jpg (57KB, 600x423px)
1439579248398.jpg
57KB, 600x423px
if i'm building a cabin and need to put the posts in the ground, and imagine ive got an 1800's level of technology innawoods, how how I stop them from rotting in 20 years? I know to char them, but did hey have a concrete like material back in the day.
>>
Why don't you just copy the technology used by the people that were living wherever you are locally? Or try to find places with similar climate that have comfy homes?
>>
File: 20130409_madsCover_600.jpg (692KB, 1536x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20130409_madsCover_600.jpg
692KB, 1536x1536px
>>846387
i've found no sources on bulding the home i want to make (basically a wattle and daub cottage). ive read nothing about how to put the beams into the ground.
>>
>>846394
Maybe do a bit a research into wood preservation from the 19th century. Pretty sure they had pressure treated wood at the time and a bunch of other preservative chemicals which have been replaced by less harmful chemicals now.
>>
>>842683
This may seem really stupid to some but I'm lost and can't figure it out. How do you keep track of what day it is when you're out? I don't keep a journal, I supposed that would work. I tend to forget even when I'm /in/ but at least I can look it up there.

Afraid I'll forget to come back at the right time.
>>
>>846484
>>
File: F53301-616_0.jpg (189KB, 2070x863px) Image search: [Google]
F53301-616_0.jpg
189KB, 2070x863px
What's the verdict on Fjallraven tents? I'm tempted by the Abisko Lite 1.
>>
Just got a survival knife, am i allowed to put it in my luggage when i fly? i mean send to airplane not carry on stuff with me
>>
>>846521
I don't wear things on my wrists. It's far too dangerous.
I do have an old watch I took off the band that I carry in my pocket but it has just hands and is wind-up.
>>
>>847354
>watches are dangerous while out meme
Oh boy
>>
>>844186
MCQBushcraft
>>
>>844360
Trossachs
>>
>>847349
yes
>>
>>847349
Yeah but it might get stolen. I've had a knife and two multitools looted from my checked luggage.
>>
>>847377
kek alright thanks anon, they usually ask if you have sharp objects or whatever at check-in, if i say yes will that be a problem? like what do they do then?
>>
>>846386
Tar was used by some people.
>>
>>845604
I moved to the wrong coast for surfing.
Went from San Diego to Georgia.
Went to the beach here and just cried.
At least snowboarding is within driving distance, hopefully I get a chance this year.
>>
>>842854
I bring a small medicine bottle filled with vaseline and cotton. I find that vaseline covered cotton makes and excellent tinder.
>>
>>847365
>>847354
>>846484
I am definitely not familiar with this dangerous watch meme
I have a waterproof casio w/ date and I never take it off when I'm /out/, even to sleep
what exactly could be even theoretically dangerous about that?
>>
>>847805
A retard in the last watch thread kept arguing that watches are too dangerous to wear while /out/ because they'll snag on things and tear your arm off or some bullshit. Their main argument was that they're banned in his machine shop, so they must be dangerous while /out/ too.
>>
>>847823
sounds like someone who has never had a watch that fit, or a watch at all ever

If I ever come across any spinning metal powertools innawoods I'll be sure not to come back with my watch on, in fact I probably wouldn't go outside ever again
>>
>>844962
Scotfag here.

It's called The Trossachs, not Lomond National park, and it ISN'T far from Glasgow (1-1.5hr). If you go there I recommend going up the East coast, the B road that takes you to Rowardennan, rather than the A road on the West coast which takes you up to Crainlarich.
>>
>>845604
Still a good time of year for windsurfing.
You can do it year round technically, but depending on where you are it can get painfully cold or dangerous being out in winter storms.
But you're dependent on wind so that's one of the worse waiting games out there for sports.
>>
>>847823
As an ER X-Ray technician I can verify that wrist injuries due to bracelets, watches, and other assorted and varied reasons are 2nd to car accidents in commonality.

They are pretty gruesome as well. I stopped wearing a wristwatch w/i a month of starting this position.
>>
>>847823
>>847979
>>847354
This board is so fucking autistic.
>>
>>848018
How is safety autistic?
Do you wear a seat belt when you drive? If yes, did you intend on smashing up your car?

Living smart and never needing 1st aid makes more sense than being stupid and living with the results.
>>
>>848051
How is that comparable to wearing a fuckign watch in the woods?
>>
>>843036
kek'd
>>
>>848052
If you are rock climbing or tree climbing or carrying a load and something snags your "insert here what is on wrist" you could go from a scratch all the way to broken. In a worst case scenario it could sever or partially sever or tear.

Just a stupid opinion and like I said earlier, I've seen the injuries 1st hand so no need to pay attention to me.
>>
>>848067
Literally all we're talking about is being /out/ innawoods in general, nothing as specific as rock climbing. Which in that case... no shit?
>>
>>848067
Good thing no one was talking about rock climbing
>>
I'm in Texas for a week

I'm British

I want to do american shit like hunt, fire weapons and other redneck shit.

How do I do this? I'm a 25 year old male in the Houston area
>>
File: tx.png (3KB, 227x222px) Image search: [Google]
tx.png
3KB, 227x222px
>>848135
>>
>>848135
Houston is a large metropolitan area. You'd have to go pretty far outside the city to hunt. The only people with guns in Houston are gang members or criminals.

You might be able to go to a shooting range though, if all you want to do is fire a gun. I don't know if they'll let you rent one, to buy a gun takes things like a background check which could take days and isn't cheap.

Just go hiking in one of the lovely parks that's just an hour or two drive outside the city. Davy Crockett National Forest is one of my personal favorites, but Sam Houston National Forest is nearby as well.
>>
>>848135
The parks outside Austin are gorgeous. The Natural Bridge Cabins in the hill country are amazing as well. You can also go to smaller caverns to avoid the crowds.

In Austin Peternalis Falls are awesome and because of all the rain last May they're full af. Then if you can make a reservation for Hamilton pool thats a pretty cool place too. However, a lot of the places around Austin have been raped by Californian Yuppie trash.

IDK what is around Houston. Have you checked the Texas Parks and Wildlife website?

And just look for a shooting range or find a hunting place online that will take you out. I think you can pay to use their guns and land with a guide but it'll be expensive.
>>
>>848162
>>848192

Should probably clarify I'm actually outside the metro area. Nearer Katy/Sugarland

Anyone hunt here?

Thanks for the suggestions sc/out/s
>>
>>842683
Get out of my state

I bet you're a filthy Victorian
>>
>>848070
>>848094
What about using tools, hunting and stalking quickly running through brush, or lashing?
Do you guys actually do things when you go /out/ or do you just look at the pretty scenery?
>>
>>848244
>using tools
If you get your watch band caught while using nonpower tools there's a pretty high chance that you're retarded.

>hunting
>let me just jam the barrel of my rifle between my wrist and watch band
>let me stick this arrow in my watch band before i shoot it
>im a retard

>stalking quickly
>be walking in woods
>watch band gets hung on a small branch
>entire arm pops off
>>
>>848244
I don't do any of those things when I go /out/.
>>
>>848245
>you're retarded
Wow, you sound like the life of the party.
You don't do what I do, you're retarded
You don't like what I like, you're retarded
You don't act like I act, you're retarded.

You might want to look in the mirror.
>>
>>848278
I didn't say doing those things is retarded. I said that thinking you can seriously injure yourself by wearing a watch while doing those things is retarded.
>>
>>848280
So you're saying that acting safely is retarded?
>>
Will generic spray paint damage lets say, an AUS8 steel blade? I have a knife that loses its teflon finish rather quickly and I'm thinking that eventually I'll want to recoat it with several layers of spray paint. I don't have the equipment to bake industrial teflon substances for 5 hours.
>>
Insider here, never been outside, question for you guys: How do campsites work? Do you just show up and plop your shit down in a spot that has no one in it? How do I find one that won't have many other people? Live in Phoenix.

Right now I want to get away from the people around me and go sleep on a mountain, but don't know what I'm not allowed to do.
>>
>>846484
get a little book or mechanical device called a perpetual calendar. Every day at noon, advance the dial if its not automatic.
>>
Try to source local rock, and self-kiln clay bricks via fire or solar oven. Rock and clay DON"T DECAY. Char the bottom most timbers, also helps to protect from pests. Seal that shit with either pitch or something else.

Remember a good home has a solid and adaptable foundation.
>>
What's a tall, thin water container that's 1.5L? I'm trying to find something that can be strapped to the sides of my bag sitting inside the bottle pouches
>>
>>848836
Get a 1.25L coke bottle for 99cents at albertsons
>>
>>848373
Duracoat that shit.
>>
>>848238
Nigga fuck off. I was born in the LGH.
I remember there being two other Tasmanians on here.
>>
I'm finding conflicting info on whether it's good to layer socks or not in cold weather. In some places it's said more than one pair is actually detrimental because it would trap cooled sweat and there'd be no room for warm air; and that it's better to a single pair wear ski/snowboarding socks, but on wikivoyage it's recommended to wear a thick pair over a thin pair.
>>
My parents just bought me the REI Passage 1 and it doesn't come with a groundcloth. I probably don't need to buy a ground cloth, what sort of situation warrants bringing/buying a groundcloth?
>>
>>849562
camping anywhere thats likely to poke, cut or over time wear a hole in the bottom of your tent.
e.g. Rocky surfaces, woodlands where sharp twigs hide amongst the grass underneath, etc etc etc.

I dont bother with one generally, as I'm camping mostly on soft alpine grasses. If I am camping down at the beach, or a popular campsite where glass/ rocks/ twigs are often present then I use one just in case
>>
Good 2 or 3 day hiking trails in Southern CA, around the Riverside area?
>>
>>849615
>riverside
Nigga just go to the Santa Ana river and exchange some rock salt for a blowjob.
>>
>>849615
Not riverside but Aztec Falls? SanBerdoo moutains? Idywild is bretty gud and not as touristy
>>
>>849733
I'll have to check out Idywild, it's like a 20 minute drive from me. Thanks for the reccomendations, new to the area and going /out/ in general
>>
What's the protocol for cleaning your ass after you shit in the woods?
>>
>>848385
Depends on camp site.
Some you can basically just plop your crap down wherever you find a nice spot.
Others are setup almost like parking spots at Walmart, you pay atbtghe gate ad they assign you a spot and you have to go find the post with the number on it.

Some parks you can go hike up a mountain and setup a tent, some are day hike only. Some are sensitive areas and you actually have to enter a lottery to even have access (I believe the half dome hike in Yosemite is a lottery now).

Arizona has some great places to hike, just internet search parks. If your questions aren't answered on their webpage they'll have a phone number you can call to talk to a park ranger.
>>
>>849540
Yep.
You'll never getbnthe right answer, too many different opinions on it.
You just have to find out what works for you- I personally wear snowboard socks now, I used multiple pairs as a kid, honestly don't remember ever having issues with either way.
I think changing socks often is more important.
>>
>>842749
It's not US-made.
>>
>>842683
Do you live in tas? what are you studying?
>>
>>842795
Bicycle, call a mate, call an Uber
>>
File: downy.jpg (58KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
downy.jpg
58KB, 600x600px
If dust mites love pillows and mattresses, wouldn't they also like sleeping bags and puffer jackets?
It's a real shitty thought. What if your beloved 20 year old bag or jacket is full of dust mites?
>>
>>849540

let me break it down.

the only reason to wear thin+thick is because it may aid in wicking sweat away from your feet, and to reduce friction and so prevent blisters.

What is more important than what kind of sock you wear is how you treat your feet. Wear enough socks (one super warm pairs, two warm pairs, a warm and a liner, whatever) to keep your feet warm but without restricting your blood flow.

Then, when you're actually out there, change socks regularly through the day. Do it when you stop to eat. Massage your feet, make sure they're dry, put fresh socks on, and go again.

Personally I wear standard weight merino blend socks year round. My goretex lined boots keep enough heat to not need more. When I'm standing around I'll pack a pair of calf height pure wool socks to layer up.
>>
My friends want to kick around the idea of doing a workshop for about 3 months in the woods (spring 2017), camping and living sustainably. I know it sounds stupid but I love being /out/, I might kick in and participate if it gets off the ground.

The main thing that piqued my interest was the willingness to try a small garden-farm, with short harvest veggies like radishes, beans, turnips and spinach.

My first thought was e-tool, but what could I pack as a multi function farm implement? Hoeing and such. Trowel weighs nothing so I'll bring one or two.
>>
>>843682
Nah, I just shot some black guy.
>>
>>845019
I have had good luck with this one. Doesn't do a razor edge, but is good enough for touching up beater knives. https://www.amazon.com/Rada-Cutlery-Sharpener-Hardened-R119/dp/B001692XPE
>>
>>846804
I have the Shape 2 and it's damn awesome

My previous tent was a Eureka Spitfire, the main reason I got the Shape 2 was for the vestibule and to try Fjallraven's tent line

Would recommend, even more so if you can manage a discount; if you want the footprint account for $100 more in your amount as well

There are definitely cheaper tents that can compare, but even some Hilleberg tents in that price range had more cons than pros when compared to the Fjallraven tent lineup

If you researched the tent and you like it, it would be worth the amount; but that does not mean there are no similar options for that price range
>>
>>843351
Appalachia friend
>>
>>845690
>>846016
Honestly buying the SAS survival guide and casually reading that every now and then has taught me a ton
>>
>>849990
actually tho
>>
>>850173
History major at Newnham.
>>
>>842683
Hey OP, sorry no one replied to your food question. Maybe take a fishing rod and catch some aus salmon / trout or bass if you can? Not that good at this stuff myself.

Mate was wondering, how much are those cabins? Famalam lives down there and want to get one myself, do you have to book and pay?
>>
>>853238
Nothing.
They are maintained by the tasmanian mountain huts preservation society and a free to sleep in.
I have a map that details the locations of a whole bunch. If the thread is still up by sunday i will upload it. The one in the picture is nice, thats the lady lake hut, it has a spirit range and a bunch of crockery. A two hour walk from that is the Lake Nameless Hut, which has a nice woodstove but also rats.
>>
>>853241
So if you show up and someones using it, do you just hike to the next one?
>>
>>853243
They are closer to bunkhouses. There is a lot of room to sleep in them.
>>
>>853229
Unfortunately, you have missed the mid-semester break which would've been a comfy time to study in a cabin (if you didn't do it already).Basically bring whatever food is necessary for a camping trip really. Depending on how tight you are for space all you have to take into account are books and what luxuries you want to bring with you. You would probably only want to take a few books that you know you will read and probably a fiction book or something to wind down when not studying. I could probably think of some tea and coffee as being something worth bringing along (inc space for small carton of milk and sugar). I find porridge is a really good overall meal for breakfast or midday as you can pretty much combine it with any dried fruit and nut with hot water and it's really filling and gives you a lot of what you need. Bring some dark chocolate with you to eat occasionally (Desert perhaps?) it will give you some good energy and a dopamine hit. Regarding dinner, I am not too sure as I am not sure what appliances you have at hand and the travel time and terrain to the cabin. If you are lugging it all in one big bag it may be difficult to say. You would probably want a lot of food that only requires hot water to prepare and can be compressed into tight spaces without spilling or breaking, stuff like rice meals and noodles, canned tuna, beans etc.

Also if you are studying history there is a good book store in Hobart you may like to know of called Astrolabe Booksellers which stocks a heap of Tasmanian history and literature if that is your field.
>>
>>853289
Just thought I should add I didnt read what you have said throughout the rest of the thread at all but from a glossing over it seemed like no one actually offered any food advice and asked what your itinerary is, but if that isnt the case apologies for giving any useless advice.
>>
>>853229
One final thing, could you link the info you are using for all of this stuff? (location, accommodation, rules etc.) as I'd really like to go up there at some point to take some time out to work on some books for my honors thesis. (Same guy as >>853289
>>853290)
>>
What's /out/'s favorite fire starter other than cheap disposable lighters?
>>
How do you guys go about bringing firewood with you? Or do you just find some innawoods?

I don't want to carry a bunch of wood.
>>
>>853292
I've slept in one of the huts and walked to another. The rules are pretty simple, take your garbage with you, leave it tidy and don't break anything. You will need a lamp or candles and as I said in >>853241 they are pretty well kitted our, the Ford to the nameless hut is a bit dangerous when there's rain or melt water going into the lake.
Paths are marked with Cairns.
>>
I know this sounds like a really silly question but how do you guys get into doing big expeditions. I feel comfortable enough going hillwalking, following maps and bivvying overnight in Scotland. However I want to do something really big and terrifying/adventurous. I want to go to Canada/USA/Norway. I saved money from working on oil rigs and have time off. How do I go about planning this? I always feel overwhelmed by info. Should I just book a flight out and try and make contact with people when I am out there?
Cheers
>>
How far you guys usually have to go from home to find a nice camping spot? I want to start but I cannot find an open green area within 100km from my house, got no car, so...
>>
What's a good <$40 watch for the great /out/doors? Just need it while I work and for hikes, nothing fancy.
>>
>>854366
I use a casio F91W, costs ~10-15
only downside is the plastic band, but it doesnt bother me too much, and when it gets annoying I just tie it onto my pack's strap.

you can replace it with a canvas strap if you like tho. Otherwise if you prefer canvas strap, and or analog, then just get the Timex Weekender
>>
>>853817
If I'm car camping, I'll bring my own wood, depending on where I am. Felled wood and standing deadwood often provides important habitat for wildlife, so if I can avoid using it, I will.

If I'm /out/ hiking, then I either don't have a fire, or if its very very cold or somewhere that there is an abundance of wood and my use of it is unlikely to impact the ecosystem much, I'll take a small light pruning saw. Have a look around some trees for standing deadwood branch, cut it down, carry it back to camp, cut it up into smaller pieces and get a fire going.

If you're hiking, I'd question the need for a fire. Its not really that important. Sure its pleasant, but I've found about 75% of the time its more trouble than its worth (for me anyway).
>>
>>854369
>bring my own wood
Found the asshole transporting invasive species

Then goes on about respecting the ecosystem???? Fuck you anon
>>
>>842875
Pic is fatwood.
Tinder master race.
>>
>>854378
Oh yeah? What invasive species am I moving, m8?
>>
File: image.jpg (117KB, 445x640px)
image.jpg
117KB, 445x640px
Looking for a tent for a Thru-Hike of the Appalachian Trail come March. The tent I have is okay but it's old and smells bad, among other things. Things to consider:

>weight isn't much of an issue, I would rather be comfortable than have a 1 pound tent
>price range is anything under $200, $250 at most
>needs to be 3 seasons, I'm planning on leaving when it might still be cold so it needs to offer some decent protection
>prefer an easier setup to a complex one
>must be durable, or at least if something breaks I can fix it somewhat easily with some stitch witch or duct tape

Right now I'm looking at the REI Passage II, it's about $170 and seems to fit the bill pretty well. Also looking at the Marmot Catalyst 2p

Links to the tents I'm talking about:
https://www.rei.com/product/810115/rei-passage-2-tent?CAWELAID=120217890000754185&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=30320809120&CATCI=aud-77557513944:pla-66378680386&cm_mmc=PLA_Google%7C404_2998%7C8101150012%7C30f27e65-6da1-42e7-a79c-e78301119623%7Caud-77557513944:pla-66378680386&lsft=cm_mmc:PLA_Google_LIA%7C404_2998%7C8101150012%7C30f27e65-6da1-42e7-a79c-e78301119623%7Caud-77557513944:pla-66378680386&gclid=CLORx5rkhM8CFVVahgodlRoFCA

And
https://www.rei.com/product/895637/marmot-catalyst-2p-tent-with-footprint
>>
>>854378
Are you just looking for something to complain about?
>>
>>854366 here, thank you >>854367 for the feedback. I looked into those and while they are solid they aren't exactly what I had in mind.

How is this one? https://www.amazon.com/Casio-DW-9052V-1CR-G-Shock-Digital-Quartz/dp/B00MTHO1F2?tag=g-shock-8-20
>>
is it safe to pop open a tin can of beans and let it roast over a fire?

I'd assume it'd be fine, but I don't know exactly if there'd be any chemical leakage to the contents in the can while doing it. Trying to save space and just using the can's the beans/other stuff is already in would cut down on tons of pots and pans to bring
>>
File: tunapouch.jpg (155KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tunapouch.jpg
155KB, 500x500px
>>854829
You can get leaching of BPA from this. Cans really aren't designed for cooking, so I don't know if there are any conclusive studies on what the impact would be..

You could also reduce weight and space significantly by using dehydrated food and a single pan. Canned food is usually pretty heavy because of the water weight. I also think that their shape makes them more difficult to pack. I bring tuna pretty often, but I use the pouches over cans for this reason.
>>
Having been inspired by Primitive Technology, I'm making a shelter in the woods behind my house, out of natural materials. Ideally, I'd have bark siding, but I don't want to strip bark off of trees that I don't need to kill, and have opted for a wattle-and-daub construction instead. However, my biggest problem with this construction method is rain. Last night we had some serious rain (flash flood warnings out in my part of Missouri.) and I've been trying to think of ways I could potentially rainproof my shelter.

Any ideas? Been thinking about laying some large, flat stones against the side to protect the mud walls.
>>
How do I get my family into /out/?

I planned a thing for all the cousins my age to go on a camping trip before we all went back to school, but when they found out there was walking and no electricity involved they all flaked out but one, which brought the trip to a dangerously /b/ tier story.

Now they all want to try again, but I don't want to waste my time. I'm seriously considering just renting a spot at the state camp ground and putting my parents camper there for a weekend.
>>
File: i.jpg (30KB, 377x462px)
i.jpg
30KB, 377x462px
>>854366
I use this one, it's kept it's battery for ~3 years now

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-SGW300HB-3AVCF-Multi-Function-Sport-Watch/dp/B003URP7CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473569791&sr=8-1&keywords=casio+outdoor+watch
>>
>>854953
That's a pretty fantastic deal too. How is it durability and waterproof-wise?
>>
Will I die if I go camping in october? I don't have a tent, but I have a sleeping bag and a mat. Also I live in the northernmost part of sweden
>>
I need some good leather boots for both outdoors and casual wear, what would you guys recommend? Owned a pair of timbs for 2 years but want something different.
>>
>>854985
I wore it with me when I hiked Philmont, then again when I hiked the Lone Star Trail in Texas, it's fully waterproof unless you are diving, I went swimming with it and even wore it at the beach and in open water.
>>
>>854894
The dwelling you are building may not be suited for the climate and weather you have. Check what the indians lived in and try to replicate that because it was entirely trial and error to find the best structures to live in and they require no modern tools.
>>
>>851221
I thought that was one of those japanese pod hotels for a moment.
>>
>>855000
That's excellent. Thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't be doing any diving with it anyway but I wanted to be sure it would survive a dip in the lake.
>>
>>854392
pls respond
>>
>>854392
>REI Passage II
It's clear you have no idea what you're doing. You will be laughed at on the trail with a tent like that. That is about a quarter of the total pack weight you'll find on most of the people you meet. Most thru hikers these days don't even carry a tent (bivy and/or tarp) but if you insist get an ultralight 1 person, no more than 2lbs.
>>
>>855111

>>854392
I'll elaborate some.

>weight isn't much of an issue, I would rather be comfortable than have a 1 pound tent
Yes, weight is a huge issue. Statements like "weight isnt much of an issue" is a "things dumbass new guys say" meme.
>price range is anything under $200, $250 at most
reasonable
>needs to be 3 seasons, I'm planning on leaving when it might still be cold so it needs to offer some decent protection
"seasons" on tents is mostly marketing BS and has nothing to do with warmth, if anything refers to the ability of the tent to withstand storms and high winds. You don't need a tent like that for the AT
>prefer an easier setup to a complex one
Don't worry about this. You're going to be doing this every day for months, you will get to the point you can throw it up in your sleep.
>must be durable, or at least if something breaks I can fix it somewhat easily with some stitch witch or duct tape
No it doesn't. This is a trip of a lifetime, if you have to toss a $250 dollar tent at the end of a 4+ month trip, whatever. And literally anything is fixable with duct tape.
>>
>>854993
Wtf? Go to whatever the walmart equivalent is in sweden and buy one for 20 bucks
>>
>>853817
You don't. Why the hell would you need a fire?
>>
>>853186
>>849990

baby wipes.
>>
>>849562
>I probably don't need to buy a ground cloth
Correct. A ground cloth is about extending the life of your tent, because the bottom is going to get the most wear. There is no situation where you "need" one.
>>
>>844912
Oakley gloves arent very good. The mesh palm isnt very durable and the reinforced knuckle is unnecessary for your purposes. If you really feel the need to bring some gloves, any leather work gloves will do fine.
>>
>>849540
layering socks is pretty much the /out// equivalent of fuddlore. Just get thick wool socks.
>>
>>843351
Hitching with a bike really narrows your ride options, as many vehicles won't accommodate a bike. Honestly, I'd probably just bike it and avoid the illegal and potentially dangerous hitching part. Tourfat rode his bicycle across the country, so it can most certainly be done.
>>
>>855150
>Tourfat rode his bicycle across the country, so it can most certainly be done.
nigga bicycle touring is a thing outside of some autist on 4chan. thousands and thousands of people have done it
>>
>>843494
>>843494
Let us know how it works out.

I hope to /diy/ my own /out/ kit (hammock etc. and backpack), currently a groundpleb with an Alice pack. I've found fabric, webbing, accessories from rbtr and will post progress when it happens.
>>
>>854894
Perhaps try a dry stone structure. It's alot of work but if done right you will have a sturdy permanent structure that won't rot apart from the roof which is easy enough to maintain or replace.

Building one myself right now and am about finished the foundation.
>>
>>855111
>>855114
Thanks for the information. I'm an Eagle Scout so I know what I'm talking about for the most part. I just haven't had a chance since then to get back /out/

What I mean by "weight isn't an issue" is that I'm a big guy and I know how much I can carry. I don't need luxuries and I figured an extra pound or two for 10x the comfort would be worth it. I can't say I have experience in doing 100+ mile trips though so I would like to know more about not even using a tent
>what do you do if it rains?
I did a 50 miler in high school and for 5 days straight it rained all day long and well into the night. I'm worried about being soaked to the bone every time a light drizzle comes through
>heat won't really be in issue with a tarp, but what about the cold?
I have a solid sleeping bag for the cold (camped in the winter with 15 degree lows and only had a small chill during the night) but that was with a tent. Will a tarp provide enough warmth for cold spells in March/April or when I get to the New England section of the trail?
>seasons
I figure you're right about this point
>setup and durability
I'll concede here too

What kind of setup would you recommend then?
>>
>>853862
Perhaps going from day trips to huge adventures is not a good idea. Do smaller trips nearer home, ramping it up a day or two longer every time.

You will get a feel for what equipment you need and don't, what foods to bring and generally getting more comfortable doing this sort of thing a knowing what to expect.
>>
>>855124
I don't really want to go camping with a tent though. I'd prefer building my own shelter
>>
>>855170

I'm also a ex boy scout and I've done the AT and PCT. Honestly the "everything including the kitchen sink" philosophy you find at places like Philmont is a really bad idea for long term high mileage backpacking. You won't find ANYBODY on the trail with a >20lb dry pack weight.

>What kind of setup would you recommend then?

A complete "standard issue" setup would be something like this:
>Pack
Osprey Exos. Literally 50% of thru hikers use this pack. If you have some old +4lb thing you might consider investing in a lighter one. Those heavy bags are designed for more weight than you are going to be carrying
>Sleeping Bag
15-30 degrees. Of course down if you can afford it
>Sleeping pad
Thermarest Neoair trekker or similar. Thermarest z-lite or plain foam pad works if budget is a concern, but its a few extra ounces and a lot of bulk.
>Cooking
jetboil or similar light canister stove. you'll have no problem finding canisters on the trail, usually youll pick them up for free in the "oops i carried too much shit" boxes
bowl, spork
>clothes
2x shirts (merino is best for odor resistance and handwashability but really anything works)
1x shorts (light nylon)
1x pants (or zip offs if you dont mind looking like a dork) (light nylon)
2x underwear
3x MERINO socks (this is pretty much a necessity)
hat
several pairs of light hiking shoes or boots. (mail dropped to you) (many people say you are supposed to replace them every few hundred miles, i don't believe that's totally necessary but dont expect to use the same pair the whole time)
>electronics
GPS (recommended but not necessary)
phone
camera if youre into that sort of thing

>miscellaneous
leatherman, mini roll of duct tape, patch kit for sleeping pad if inflatable, tent pole splint, headlamp, and probably a couple other things im forgetting

(cont)
>>
File: dr-5.jpg (85KB, 640x360px)
dr-5.jpg
85KB, 640x360px
>>855223
>miscellaneous
i forgot water bottles. many people like the collapsible platypus things or camelback bladders, but empty gatorade bottles work too.

>shelter
this is where you'll find the most diversity of opinion. like I said, many people get by with a silnylon tarp and/or bivy sack, but if you value comfort and simplicity an ultralight tent is not a bad idea i guess. Since you say youre a bigger guy it may not even be a bad idea to go with a 2 person, but it should not be anywhere near 4 lbs. I used pic related on a 3 month bike trip a few years ago and found it very spacious with no durability issues at 2lbs (tarptent rainbow).

All in all this kit is going to put you at about 15 lbs dry pack weight. keep in mind youre often going to be carrying another 15 in food and water.
>>
>>849990
Clump of moss.
Mullein leaves.
Toilet paper.
NOT POISON IVY.
>>
>>855223
I never went to philmont, I never had the chance. But my target weight for my pack is about 30 pounds, +/- 5. That was about my weight for my 50 mile trip I referenced before

>setup
I have a nice The North Face (I know but it's what I have) Cat's Meow 20F bag so I'm set there
The pack I have is a Deuter ACT Lite 65+10. Probably a little bigger than necessary but I can't afford a new tent AND pack
Sleeping pad, don't have but was thinking about something like you mentioned
I got an MSR pocket rocket in good working condition so that won't be a problem. A mess kit I can pick up at a thrift store or something

>clothes
I got a couple pairs of nylon workout shorts that are ultralight and I was planning on using. I have a collared wicking shirt I was planning on taking so I just need one more. As far as pants go, i simply don't wear them honestly. I just don't like them, and I'll deal with any cold to avoid wearing them
>boots
Do you really go through them that fast? I was expecting to get a pair and just wear that pair the whole time. If not then I need to re-examine my budget

>misc
Water I was planning on getting a camelback water bladder. My pack has a spot for a bladder so I won't need the whole bag to go with it. Water bottles I can figure out, so not worried there

>shelter
I'm 5'9", weigh 205 when I'm cutting. I'm a power lifter so I'm used to carrying heavy shit, albeit not over long distances. I'm not saying that to be like "hell yeah I can carry a 70 pound pack 2000 miles" as much as a reference for my fitness level. So tent weight specifically I would be willing to trade off for comfort
>>
>>855223
>>855237
>>855250
additional question:

Is the tarptent you posted available anywhere else for cheaper besides the main website? I would prefer to get it a little lower than $260, as that is at the extreme of my budget for a tent.
>>
>>855301
>>855237
>>855223
again another question I forgot about

Water purification, is it really necessary? Do I need a water filter pump every time I want a sip, or can I get away with some iodine tablets when I think its a dodgy stream, and just drink straight when it looks clean (running water over rocks that is clear)
>>
>>855301
>Is the tarptent you posted available anywhere else for cheaper besides the main website? I would prefer to get it a little lower than $260, as that is at the extreme of my budget for a tent.
Not that I know of. It's a small company. The main point I was trying to make is there are spacious alternatives at half the weight for at or near your budget. Since I assume you have time, just wait for something to pop up on sierra trading post or ebay.

>Water purification, is it really necessary?
I've met a few people who drink straight but that's definitely a minority opinion. Pretty much comes down to what risk youre willing to tolerate. I carred a steripen.

If you havent already found it, do some lurking on whiteblaze.net. You'll find that 20x more informative than /out/.
>>
>>855250
Also the replacing boot things is more about the EVA foam getting worn out and not providing cushion. Like I said, "common wisdom" is every 500 miles, and if you actually look at manufacturer specs it will say something like that, but IMO you'll be alright with 3 boots for the whole thing.
>>
>>855468
Alright I see what you mean. Thanks for the info. What should I look for?

>whiteblaze.net
Alright thanks m80
>>
>>854909
I go /out/ to get away from my family.
>>
>>855304
It's a gamble. Lots of people get away with it, but giardia isn't fun.
>>
Is this the right board to talk about scuba diving?

If so how fit do you have to be to scuba dive?
>>
>>855304
>looks clean
looks can be deceiving.

As a general rule I just use some tablets I buy at hiking stores. The problem is, they have a lag time (30minutes for some bacteria, 2 hours for some viruses). While its a bit of a pain and probably useless most of the time, I'd rather not take the chance. If I need to filter the water I just do it through some cloth/ a tshirt/ a bandanna etc.

If you're /out/ anywhere with a lot of large mammals, including humans, then I would recommend definitely treating the water.
>>
>>855810
This.
Remember that /out/ shits in the river.
>>
>>844360

>Glasgow
>willingly going there

What
>>
>>844360
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/long-distance-routes.shtml

a lot of walking routes around
>>
I have a big ankle length Gore-Tex duster that I use for horseback riding and doing shit when it rains out. Is there anywhere I could take it to have a polar fleece liner made for it? Should I try to find a local tailor, or is there a place online that would let me mail it in or what? pic related
>>
File: cat_cash.jpg (126KB, 495x450px) Image search: [Google]
cat_cash.jpg
126KB, 495x450px
Saved some money (up to 5k) and want to see something of the world before I start to work. Plan on starting around early march, preferably asian area. Anyone got some suggestions where to start?
>Somewhere like Vietnam, India, Thailand, Myanmar, ... don't know, want to see as much as possible
>>
>>857122
>>857122
Moto or bicycle tour it. Cheaper, more freedom, see more of the countryside instead of just tourist attraction to tourist attraction, self sufficient, all around more manly and virtuous than public transport taking backpacker degenerates. If you go with motorcycle, buy it in country and ditch/sell it when you leave. It will still be much cheaper than public trans. If you do bicycle, bring one. It's much easier to put up with a shitty motorcycle than a shitty bicycle.

>>857447
>>
>>857122
>>857780
With 5k you could bike or moto comfortably in the third world for 4 or so months, including airfare. You can cover a lot of ground in 4 months
>>
>>847349
In most cases, in the 'checked baggage' (stuff you give them to put under the plane in cargo hold), you are allowed to have packed knives and such.

Don't try to carry it with you though, lol. The TSA will ravage your booty. :P
>>
>>854829
Eeeeehhh... I'd be concerned that the cans would be:
1) Not strong enough to hold up to the heat of cooking.
2) May be coated in some sort of shit that would end up cooking off (or into the food rather).

Though I'm sure it wouldn't kill you if you did it a few times. I'd recommend what >>854840 said though. Just bring one pan or such and pack dehydrated foods. Also, you can use the pan / pot as a container to pack in if you do it right, so it's not that bad having to carry one.
>>
>>855304
Yes, you have to filter / clean your water.

You can boil it, and then filter it for particulates. That's generally pretty safe.

They sell those water filters too if you've got the budget for them, or as mentioned, tablets.
But do note that like other anons have said, tablets take ~2 hours or so to fully work on the water, so plan ahead and have something to store your cleaned water in.
>>
>>842683
Dozen eggs, pound of bacon, bread, peanut butter, jam, butter, onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, and some meat and milk.

Whiskey for morale.
>>
>>842848
Depends on the season and location. In SE AK, red rot stumps always hid a dry pocket/pitch somewhere even though it rained every day.

In OR, conifer twigs in summer are dry as dust and you can light with a flick of a bic.

You can also drip a little candle wax on damp twigs if needed. That and a cotton ball makes really good tinder.
>>
>>842871
Use only dead wood. Live wood is 'green', meaning wet. Cotton balls and candlewax is hard to beat for tinder.>>843351
>>
>>843351
Were I never out of FLA I'd want to see Vermont in fall, West Coast in spring/summer, and the Painted desert early in the morning/winter, when it's not too hot.
>>
>>843684
Start with the thinnest pieces, and use thicker wood as the fire gets stronger.

The drier the better, but even damp wood can be lit, if you have accellerant, like candlewax or another fuel.
>>
>>845019
Lansky. Two stones, fine and course.
>>
>>845553
Do carry for bear? I had to qualify inAK with a .375H&H mag.
>>
>>846386
Gravel is better than cement because it packs just as hard, but lets water drain away from wood. Charring seems like it would accelerate rot.

t. Carpenter since 1999
>>
>>846394
1) don't stick posts in dirt.
2) if you must use rot resistant wood, like cedar.
3) cabins built to last around here (OR) had stone foundations.
4) tar/creosote will preserve wood well. Farmers here soak cedar fence posts in barrels of waste oil for a year or two

However, Oyster mushrooms, wood decomposers, can live on oil soaked gravel. Not on cedar, though.

Cedar ftw
>>
>>847979
I wear a watch and while working construction. Never even had a hint of any problem. Certainly not innawoods.
>>
>>848135
Craigslist.org for hunting buddies
>>
>>848162
"Be always sure you are right, then go ahead." - Davy Crockett
>>
>>848212
Everyone in Katy hunts.
>>
>>848282
Not him, but not wearing a watch in the woods because 'it's not safe' is retarded.

Why not just pad all the trees, like they do the lamp posts in London, because retards might walk into them while texting?

Live a little bit.
>>
>>849540
If two pair are too tight they won't insulate as well as one loose pair.
>>
>>849990
Do it. Take wet wipes. Thank me later. If you wanna be all back to nature, soft leaves from berry bushes, ferns, or moss will serve.

But, watch out for ticks, centipedes, spiders, and scorpions.
>>
>>854391
How about insects, fungi, and weed seeds?
>>
File: 1473936619254.jpg (60KB, 595x842px)
1473936619254.jpg
60KB, 595x842px
>>842683

What pot should I get? I am cooking for myself using an MSR Pocket Rocket, and I am looking for something light and small, preferably about 30 dollary doos. Pic unrelated
>>
Most I've ever hiked were short day-hikes.
I'm considering going on a hiking "vacation", probably USA. Unsure if I should travel around and do day-hikes in various areas, or try thru-hiking a trail.
I'm probably going to give myself a month or two, but I can flex. Starting in March next year.

How doable is thru-hiking for someone with no experience? Is it a safer/more fun option for me to stick with day hikes and couchsurfing?
>>
>>858702
I've got my eye on this one:

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-verizon&ei=KTvdV5HLHYTNjwSPuaygDA&q=msr+quick+solo+pot&oq=msr+quick+solo+pot&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3..0i67k1j0l2j0i30k1l2.2481.2843.0.3155.3.3.0.0.0.0.167.332.0j2.2.0....0...1c.1j4.64.mobile-gws-serp..1.2.329...0i13k1j0i13i30k1.PMm48KTkmns
>>
>>858129
Got it. The lakes up there are really fuckin' cold. Is it wise to have a cold storage set up in the water?
>>
>>858883
You'd be fine. My ex was a 5'1" woman of average build who had never camped as a kid. I had done a lot of camping and hiking. We were gonna do the JMT together, which covered 160 miles, ending up at the highest elevation point in the USA at 14,000 feet. Then, I got a job. She did the hike herself and was fine.

Just read a book on through hiking and check out some forum posts. Keep your gear light. You'll be fine. Popular thru hiking trails have decent foot traffic, so it's not like you're gonna be out in the isolated bush either.
>>
>>846387
Gonna need some sauce for that juicy steak. What kind of building style is this? All I know is I want to do it.
>>
>>853241
Today is Sunday, did OP post the map? Tas fag here interested
>>
>>842683
oats, frozen vegetables if you are able to bring there, rice, peanut butter, some eggs, onions
>>
File: IMG_3421.jpg (26KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3421.jpg
26KB, 300x300px
Looking for a good (quality and price) backpack in like a jäger or gebirgsjäger look (pic related something like that) with about 40l or more volume. Comfortable and waterproof.
>>
>>853510
esbit or other non-proprietary solid fire starter cubes.

You can also cook with them if you need to.

>>853817
you gather wood... thats why people carry axes, big knives, and saws...

>>854378
which he then burns? you're a try-hard antagonist

>>844360
Trossachs. If you can't get out the city the botanic gardens is nice, leads into Kelvin park / footpath which you can walk all the way out to Milngavie. You can detour at Kelvin to to Kelvingrove art museum.

Alternatively, Pollok park is nice and has teh Burrell collection in its' grounds. I once received a sloppy bj from a Tinderella there. Recommended.

>>844797
Also fuck you. Are you from Glasgow? Probably not.

Re green spaces Glasgow actually has more green spaces per capita than any other European city.

>>845619
No, why would it fuck it up? The only thing that'll fuck up a knife is bad sharpening technique.

>>859454
>waterproof

Yeah no. Just dry bag the stuff you need to keep dry. Or buy a rucksack waterproof cover. Also that doesn't look comfortable at all, so I doubt you'll take my advice as you're obviously more concerned with the aesthetic than the function...
>>
>>842683
It's really fucking expensive to get a decent /out/ gear right?
>>
>>859373
That's nice to hear, thanks! How frequently would you say you encounter other hikers, on a popular trail, during season?
>>
>>859623
yes.
>>
File: DSC_0044[1].jpg (596KB, 2592x1944px)
DSC_0044[1].jpg
596KB, 2592x1944px
Any idead what this is?
It was some kind of fluoroscent.
>>
>>859416
The original picture is actually just a storehouse, it's from a museum in Oslo showing some of the traditional architecture of Norway.

http://norskfolkemuseum.no/en/setesdal-1739
>>
Im replacing the handle on a splitting maul. I have no drill, only simple tools and have been pounding and chipping away at the wood inside the head. Can I just throw it in the fireplace? Its an old steel maul, would the heat fuck up the quality at all?
>>
>>860052
That'll work. Quench so it doesn't anneal.
>>
>>859419
Op here. Am faggot and stuck in Launceston. Map is in St Helens at the moment, i'll see what i can do in the meantime.
>>
>>859419
Here, ill get a better photo in a few days. It's not enough to navigate from but beats nothin'
>>
>>847979
>>858152
>>847823

what are people doing with watches on that fucks them up? Other than in a shop with machines how are people fucking up that badly?

Am I just master race cause I haven't torn my own arm off going about my daily activities with a watch on? jesus.
>>
File: 1472324117521.png (63KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1472324117521.png
63KB, 625x626px
>>848282
>>
>>860238
lol no wuckas senpai
>>
>>860270
Does this >>860248 help? It's a little rough but you get the gist of the locations.
>>
>>860284
thats awesome, very grateful, see you round the ridges senpai
>>
>>844182
Look up samick sage recurve takedown bow. Good beginner bow for a decent price.
As for the windsurfing i got jack.
>>
So, was debating making my own thread, but saw this one. I have never been camping and only hiked once, but that was a short hike, only a few hours. I loved the outdoors, but never could get a foothold in those things. How/where do I start? I live TN, if that helps.
>>
I'm going to travel to india and nepal for the upcoming months, i'm not experienced in winter hiking/trekking, can you recommend me which layers of clothing i should have? like should i buy goose or down jacket etc
I already have summer clothes, will use them as layers, but need something for warming and for rain
>>
>>848385

You can do a lot of camping in az, blm land you can camp on, lake pleasent has some great spots, bartlett too. Farther from Phoenix is great too, the rim is stunning, cherry is a diamond in the rough, and when you get more seasoned you can hike the grand canyon.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160920-015120-01.jpg (175KB, 1080x1414px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160920-015120-01.jpg
175KB, 1080x1414px
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F34ZKS/

Anyone here used this backpack before? Thoughts?
>>
File: 1471771097675.jpg (18KB, 278x290px)
1471771097675.jpg
18KB, 278x290px
>>855111

>he worries about being laughed at
>>
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OHXD62A/ref=pd_aw_vtph_468_bs_tr_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZF3SZA8RQJBJ86FFRC5S

/fit/ car camper here,
Are alps mountaineering tents shit? Az here (as well) and I need a tent to keep the scorpions and snakes away.
>>
>>848244

I feel like if you're too scared to wear a watch, then stalking quickly through the brush with tools in your hand or trying to hunt something is probably out of the question.

Like, seriously, you're worried about your watch getting caught and your arm coming off, but you'll run through the forest with tools and weapons in your hand without a care. What if you fell over onto your knife. Seems about as likely as a branch snagging your watch and ripping your arm off.
>>
I don't own any gear yet, aside from a hand-me-down backpack that's probably a bit on the heavy side.

How much should I expect to pay for all the gear I need for through-hiking? Of course I can go as expensive as I want, but I just need budget gear that keeps me alive.
>>
>>848244
>just look at the pretty scenery?
You say that like it's a bad thing
>>
>>860950
I bought a Denali Kepler for $60AU five years ago and it hasn't failed me yet. $20 trangia rip-off hasn't either. Honestly you can /out/ for fuck all.
>>
>>861188
this, buy things at goodwill, used, anything cheap and good.
>>
Would /out/ be interested in a make-your-own-gear thread, or should I head to /diy/ for that? It's a thing I'm wanting to get into, and if the other sc/out/s are interested I'll gladly make it into a general.
>>
>>861774
definitely, go for it man. curious to see what you're cooking up
>>
>>861774
>>861977
post it anon, I can contribute some too
>>
>>861977
>>861981
Here it is, gents:
>>862142
>>
>>842797
48 beers and durries
>>
If cotton takes a long time to dry, why does it feel cold? Shouldn't it feel cold because it's efficient at transfering body heat to water and evaporating it faster than something more insulating?
It could be argued that cotton probably evaporates water faster, while as other fabrics shake water off while in liquid form.
>>
>>860777
was $20 dollars cheaper a few weeks ago.

bought one and I didn't have the chance to use it yet. A lot of reputable people liked it for the price, so there's that.
>>
Apologies in advance if a similar question has already been answered. I couldn't skim the whole thread cus I don't got a lot of time.
My question is directed to anyone who camps in Florida/the hotter months of the year.
How the fuck do I go to sleep when it's so damn hot?? Pic related was my setup. Had to pack it all up and go home sometime around midnight after laying in my own sweat for three sleepless hours.
>>
>>863517
Hammock. The airflow underneath you will cool you down quite a bit. It won't be perfectly comfortable, because hot is hot. But a hammock is probably your best bet. Also, try camping in windier areas like hilltops.
>>
Is Dave Canterbury bushcrafts books good for a new aspiring /out/?
>>
My chain is too long, I have the bar maxed out and the chain droops below the bar. The used chain has 71 drive links and 35 teeth. I go to the hardware store with this pic and ask for a new chain and get a box with all the same info printed on the box, should be the right one for my bar right? I take it out and it looks about the same size as my old chain and has 72 drive links and 36 teeth. Whats goin on here?
>>
File: b8.jpg (49KB, 670x501px) Image search: [Google]
b8.jpg
49KB, 670x501px
Whelp, it's that time of year again when the bears are running amok getting ready for hibernation. I was thinking of setting up my camera and recording gear and baiting them with like, peanut butter and roast beast and other fragrant goodies.

Obviously I'm not looking to hunt or harm the bear, but is this baiting (essentially feeding) of wild bears a bad idea? I don't want to do anything that might be unlegal or ilethical.
>>
>>863517

Hammock and wind like the other anon said.

Live in northwest Florida and I don't even think about camping until like october
>>
>>864927
find roadkill and use that for bait, you don't want bears eating anything unnatural that they may become hooked on and seek out
>>
>>865129
Will roadkill really attract a scavenging bear though? I mean, blackies eat mostly berries and insects and shit. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see a dead animal being that great at attracting a bear.

But you're absolutely right about the human food thing. Fugg I probably shouldn't do this.
>>
How should I go about learning how to /out/ and what I need to do so? I've heard i should buy some books off amazon, but I need specific examples and any websites I could look at until then would be great.
>>
File: 20150710_143631.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px)
20150710_143631.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
>>865185
Experience is the best teacher anon, depending what you are going to try to learn start small:

Ex: I want to become an accomplished woodsman

Start by car camping over weekends, if you are missing anything or it gets crazy cold you can bail so you don't kill yourself. Work your way to hiking out > camping at location > hiking back and learn whatever you feel necessary for any of those trips.

(and if you are underage go join boy scouts)
>>
File: FB_IMG_1474246319787.jpg (14KB, 480x195px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1474246319787.jpg
14KB, 480x195px
>>
>>865212
Honestly didn't even think of building my way up to it
>>
Can an NZfag enlighten me on gun laws in NZ. I heard they are more lax than Australia, but by how much? And if I were, say, living there indefinitely on an Australian passport (as per agreements between our countries) would I be able to take advantage properly of any of them?
>>
>>865212
I do day hikes regularly, but never went on multi-day trips. Is it a bad idea to just up and go to an unfamiliar area and camp-hike a long trail without any experience? If I study up for preparation, what can go wrong?
>>
File: 20150710_131435.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px)
20150710_131435.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>866109
depends on the area but you can die from loads of things so I have a charged cell phone, check weather and dress accordingly, also account for what site you are at and the elevation (cold sinks) so valleys are very cold at night.

If you tell me where you are planning to go I could help more
>>
I was in eureka ca way out on the beach and I'm sitting there looking at the waves through the fog and I turn around quick because my young man Sences have yet to part me and this guy was 5 yards behind me walking in my footprints with a blunt, red object in his hand like he was going to hit me. He had a smile on his face that said he was really high. He sees he's been spotted and slowly trots away. My question - what the fuck? Are guns good to have? Can't we love our neighbor?
>>
What are some good crank flashlights for going /out/?

I have a couple $2X walmart cranklight/radios that work "good enough" but surely there's better ones out there. I'm looking for lights specifically I don't give a shit about any other silly features.
>>
>>842683
Disgusting homeless people are breaking into my tent when im gone and looking for drugs. Nothing else is gone

How do i stop them. I just want to be left alone
>>
>>866308
Am from Europe, planning to go to America. So far only San Francisco and some place in Colorado are set in stone, but Oregon also seems like a really pretty please to visit.
Probably going to walk whatever trails (or bits of trail) come in my path, only limits I have is < 90 days (visa) and max € 3.5k, no gear yet.
>>
File: 20150710_154615.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150710_154615.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>866846
find people you could take outdoors trips with, maybe even staying on their couches to save money if you become friends. Northern California is beautiful. Am Texan so not sure about what European camping laws are but surely you can get some camping done to prepare for your US adventure?

(rabbit pics are from one that I rescued and released)
>>
>>866968
I do have a few people I know who I want to visit, but the solitude aspect of wildernis camping is also a big factor to me, so I'd prefer to go solo most of the time.
Camping laws in my country (Netherlands) are rather strict, only allowed in a scarce few special places, aside from actual campsites. May be worth seeking those out though, if the winter is mild enough.

That's a cute rabbit!
>>
File: 1473029317477.jpg (32KB, 375x500px)
1473029317477.jpg
32KB, 375x500px
I'm looking for a route planning website that has Google Maps, Open Street Map and two others that I have forgotten but I believe they were USGS new and classic.

I've forgotten the website name and would love it if someone could help me out!
>>
>>845019
Fällkniven DC3 (small) or DC4 (not small), $20 or less.
>>
>>867133
Caltopo
>>
>>843071
Depends very much on the country, but in general probably no. They don't like people sleeping in parks, some of them will even be closed after a certain time. But, you might just try and see what happens. If you go to Scandinavia, there will be prepared huts in the national parks all over the place.
>>
File: 20150422_135010.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20150422_135010.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
>>842683
hey OP I've been to that hut. We should go bush walking together sometime.
>>
File: try-stick.jpg (104KB, 1200x581px) Image search: [Google]
try-stick.jpg
104KB, 1200x581px
has anyone tried to make a try-stick, i tried to make one with a non-locking opinel no.5 and it didnt come out too good (pic related).

going to buy a knife made for the task (mora classic carbon) and i would like to know what steps to taking care of it, i guess i need a sheth and some sort of oil and sharpening stone? but i know nothing about this stuff.

can anyone point me in the right direction?

cheers
>>
File: 1473035892258.jpg (34KB, 500x667px)
1473035892258.jpg
34KB, 500x667px
>>867180
Not the exact site I had been on before, but thank you very much This site will do perfectly!
>>
>>867850
>pic
I would get a leather strop for frequent maintenance, you can get by without using a stone for a while depending on your edge condition, this helps keep your original edge profile. Every time you use a stone you'll be removing metal so you'll want to keep that at a minimum. Get a fine Arkansas stone in case of edge nicks. I like coconut oil for my blades since it sticks on, doesn't smell, and it's totally foodsafe. Gl anon
>>
whats the book from the 1870s or whatever called about the guy who lived in a small house in the wilderness?
>>
File: IMG_8941.jpg (47KB, 600x399px)
IMG_8941.jpg
47KB, 600x399px
I'm amazed at how difficult it is to find tent fabric. Any help on what I should google. What are some good fabrics for tents. I'm trying to make my truck bed cover Into a tent since I have a flat cover on it.
>>
>>867850
Since it's just a Mora, then I would just get a lansky puck to sharpen it with. You can also give carbon steel blades a patine with mustard or vinegar to keep off rust.

>>867972
Moras are nice knifes, but they're cheap and chances are that you'll end up losing it before wearing it out by removing metal with a wetstone. Unless you own a 100£ GB axe or a straight razer I dont really see the point in getting a strope.
>>
>>842866
You mean palestine
>>
>>857043
I'm sure my local tailor would be up for the task, but it would be a massive job and cost a lot of money. Maybe go get a quote, but prepare to be disappointed.

Why not just wear a fleece underneath? More versatile that way too
>>
>>860785
I have the alps zephyr/zenith 3 and it's great.
>>
What should I budget for kayaks? Want to buy at least one for my Dad's bday, possibly up to three if it's in my budget.

Also general things to know when making a decision on buying a kayak?
>>
File: 20150710_131311.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150710_131311.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>869769
as with any major purchase don't buy one until you know exactly what you are looking for and know how to use it
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.