[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/OWG/ Outdoorwear General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: surplus_m65_jacket_black_11.jpg (272KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
surplus_m65_jacket_black_11.jpg
272KB, 1001x1001px
Jackets, fleeces, raincoats, parkas?
Cotton, polyester, nylon?
Thoughts on upper-body garment

For me, M65 jacket just looks so damn fine
>>
>>842510
(1)
I might tell you stuff you allready know but here goes.
Think in layers as you build up your outdoor wardrobe,so you can add/romove peices of clothing to adjust for the climate you're going to be in.

*next to skin / base-layer: synthetic or wool.
This thin layer transports moisture away from your skin and often stays on you for the whole duration of your trip - at least in temperate or cold climates/seasons. Of course it also adds warmth. Synthetic is the cheapest, lightest, the fastest drying and the best at tranporting moisture away. Wool on the other hand makes for a more comfortable climate and does not get smelly and sticky like synthetics will. Merino wool does not itch but can be quite expensive. In general I would recommend synthetics for short or high-intensity use and wool for longer trips or stuff like cold winter when you rarely take your clothes off.

*mid-layer: synthetics or wool. Optional down or fiber for when not active.
These are just the "warm clothes" that you pack depending on the temperature. I would recommend fleece since its somewhat cheap, dires fast and is quite light. Wool is a bit heavier compared to the insulation you get, dries slower, but as mentioned gives nice climate. This is however not as important in your mid-layer, as it is not in contact with your skin anyways.
You will often find that you need to pack an extra piece of warm clothing for the cold evenings and mornings. Since this will stay packed in your backpack most of the time it is a good idea to use something like down or synthetic fiber jacket for this because they are very packable compared to the insulation you will get. Down must not get wet!
>>
>>842510
(2)
*outer-layer: depends
The job of your outer-layer is to withstand wind, rain and be durable enough for what you are doing. There are several ways to aproach this:
1: packing (light) rain-clothes that you only wear in rain. The rest of the time you wear a comfortable wind restistant jacket as outer-layer (or just no jacket if the weather is mild, or if your mid-layer is wind-resistant)
2: Wearing water-proof, breathable shell-layer like gore-tex. These membrane-clothes are 99 % waterproof (don't believe their lies!) and allows for moisture-transport, so that you can keep them on without drowning in your own sweat. They will, however, never be as breathable as an outer-layer, that is not water-proof.

Your M65 jacket would fall into the category of softshell - a windproof and strong outer-layer. Wearing it would not make sence for pure hiking, because it is too heavy to be worth it in that situation. However it can be a great outdoor jacket for general use. Combine it with a simple and packable solution for rainy weather and you have a fine setup.

But before you buy that jacket take a look at the materials. A military issue jacket will most likely be made of 50/50 polyester & cotton (polycotton) which is ok - but aviod anything with more cotton than 50 %!
Also avoid thick jackets with many layers - it is better to layer with other clothes so you can udjust.
>>
>>842899
mine is 99%waterproof,(it's a clothed plastic bag)
super comfy though
>>
>>842901
forgot to say, it's softshell.
>>
One thing that might be helpful to a layering newb is to check out the US Army's manual for ECWCS. It describes the different pieces of their layering system and which configuration would work in different climate conditions.
>>
File: ewaeaweaweawe.jpg (96KB, 1165x1034px) Image search: [Google]
ewaeaweaweawe.jpg
96KB, 1165x1034px
Someone own a gorka? In this colour it would be a awesome piece
>>
I have something pic related: for more warmth i'd get a bigger one so i can put more layers of fleece underneath, but it's alright to me.
>>
currently i have something very similar to pic related
>>
File: Untitled-20.jpg (240KB, 1600x1161px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-20.jpg
240KB, 1600x1161px
who here wax jackets?

+ waterproof
+ windproof
+ traditional
+ can look good over decades

- high maintenance
- not breathable
- wax jacket smell
>>
>>842997
I do but its not a hiking jacket. I use mine for standing around in the cold and wind (photography) and dog walking. It's an awesome jacket but it WILL get wetted out in heavy downpour. It's also smart enough to get by in town but be warned if you drive you better have a seat cover because the wax comes off (especially when newly applied) easily.

My /out/ system is:

- Base layer (polypro or merino) [wicking]
- Jumper or fleece [insulation]
- British smock [windproof]
- Silynylon poncho and goretex over trousers (kept in the pockets of the smock)[waterproof]

As well as this I take

- wool liner gloves, midgie headnet and beanie (kept in the pockets of the smock)
- Secondary insulation, down jacket in the winter, second jumper or body warmer in the summer.
- Camp/sleep clothes, merino long johns, socks, and cashmere jumper (shrunk) which I use as a heavy thermal top.

I sometimes use a pertex windshirt,, and next would like to try the pertex+pile clothing systems such as Buffalo.

I like this set up because I can use combinations of any of the above to deal with changes in weather. Keeping the goretex, poncho and accessories in jacket pockets mean I can put them on quickly and without removing my rucksack.

Flexibility is key.
>>
>>843003
If you are wetting out a wax jacket then you are in enough rain that you are going to get wet regardless. The problem with waxed jackets is that they don't breathe, so your sweat collects.

>>842997
>looks good over the decades
That looks like an extra strength trash bag.
>>
>>842997
I wax both my jacket and a few pairs of jeans. Love being able to wear soft sweet denim without worrying about it getting wet if it rains.
>>
>>843010
It depends on the waxing. Big difference between say an oil skin and a fjallraven anorak.

They're good for standing about in.
>>
I need a new winterjacket and I'm not afraid of wearing technocore /out/gear.
Budget is around 150 euro. Possible?
>>
>>842974
Don't fall for the Gorka meme.
>>
>>842997
>bring wax jacket with me on road trip in the summer
>it rains
>wax melted off or something and i get soaked
>buy goretex jacket
>>
>>845359

>wearing wax jackets in the summer

confirmed autist.
>>
>>843003
A buffalo will change your life senpai. Ive got a mountain shirt and a montane smock and i bloody love them. It stinks after multi day use, but far lighter and easier than packing baselayers and insulation, and you can get away with no waterproof layer in everything but a storm. Perfect for british weather but in the summer its far too hot.
Fyi the buffalo hoods are carcinogenic asf, if you need head protection get a hat or a montane smock
>>
>>847147
Yeah dying to try it.

Thinking of picking up their fell jacket or similar as I think I prefer full zip to smock design. But on the fence as it doesn't appear to have pit zips.

Should work well as a midlayer in winter, too, I expect.

For Summer use I'm happy to stick to my pertex windshirt + merino or polypro base.
>>
>>842510
GOAT
>>
>>845331
Milsurp is almost always heavy, worthless crap. Especially slavshit.
>>
>>847250
Shill
>>
File: w2c.jpg (146KB, 710x857px) Image search: [Google]
w2c.jpg
146KB, 710x857px
r8
>>
>>848223
why?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.