[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I find a job as an assistant farmer (or ranch hand, or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

File: Picture-84.png (443KB, 603x421px) Image search: [Google]
Picture-84.png
443KB, 603x421px
How do I find a job as an assistant farmer (or ranch hand, or whatever it's called?)

I currently work at a hospital and get no pleasure out of my job. I'm at the point where I simply don't give a shit about people and their problems. In my last two years of working here I was once tasked on emptying out a shed in a wooded area behind the hospital. It was filled with rat shit, an ants nest, rusty metal, and a cool little gecko bro that I caught and hung out with. It was the absolute best day of work I've had.

I don't have any farming experience, but I have spent a couple of summers at my grandparents' farm in Europe and I really miss that pervasive shit smell.
>>
File: big.jpg (50KB, 401x364px) Image search: [Google]
big.jpg
50KB, 401x364px
>>842347
The problem is I'm not sure if there's that much of a demand for farm jobs. I'm just talking out of my ass/bumping your thread though
>>
>>842347
>tfw no qt farm girl to milk your dick

Why live?

OP you just have to find a farmer that's hiring, but you're going to have to start at the bottom shoveling shit and loading hay.
>>
Not so much a "job", but a farm around here will sign you up for their CSA in exchange for working something like 4 hours a week. Might be worth looking into if you're not certain if it's the job for you.
>>
>>842371
CSA's are god-tier, nothing is better than having fresh food that was grown locally, every week.

I was employed by one last summer for extra help during harvest season, if you like working outside it's awesome
>>
>>842347
It really depends on where you're at and what kind of farms / ranches are around you. Most field work / harvesting jobs are seasonal and don't pay very well, large ranches need hands year round to deal with all the animals and to maintain fences and buildings, wealthy people living on large Estates will often employ several people full time to maintain their gardens, lawns, buildings, etc.. You just need to find out what's available in your area.

My uncle is the head grounds keeper for a man who's worth around $350 million (he was a multi billionaire before his business went bankrupt and he sold all of his stake in the company for a few hundred million during the bankruptcy proceedings). He maintains around 30 acres of manicured lawn and gardens with 4-5 people working under him. He's making around $100k per year plus benefits but he also works around 70 hours a week at least 6 days a week, most weeks he goes in for half a day on Sundays too.
>>
WWOOF

Look it up my man
>>
>>842912
He said he's looking for a job, not gypsy status
>>
>>842347
You might want to look into another line of work, robots are going to be doing most farm jobs soon. Just the way the cookie crumples.
>>
>>842952
only true for the most developed world
in second and third tier countries menial jobs are cheap labor and not very mechanized.
>>
Here in canada farmers hire migrant workers from Mexico and Jamaica. They are paid less than minimum wage and work their asses off all season. Than get shipped back home after harvest.
>>
>>844251
This

Farm hands get paid fuck all, and no holidays, vacation ect. Fuck that
>>
>>842347
The only white people that do farm-hand work in this day and age are probably on the lam/ homeless enthusiasts.
>>
File: 1461454908854.jpg (1MB, 1000x4796px) Image search: [Google]
1461454908854.jpg
1MB, 1000x4796px
>>842347
OP you're really only going to make money in this as a seasonal fruit picker or working some sugar cane field like some sort of spear chuckin', banana bendin' fuzzy wuzzy. That is if foreign workers aren't doing it already to extend their visa.

Of course it depends on what part of the world you're in.
>>
>>844298
Not exactly true. Hit up any liberal area with farmland and there are usually local-grow organic outfits that want ideologically leftist whites to work for them instead of beaners.
>>
>>842952
Eh. We're years from picking berries with a machine- although the Japanese are developing a mechanical strawberry picker. But things like blackberries will probably be human for years. melons, watermelons, pineapples, etc.

That cheap migrant labor works somewhere.
>>
>>842347
Find an organic farm
>>
File: disgust.jpg (46KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
46KB, 620x400px
>>842347
>Milking machine right behind her
>Uses hands
>>
File: Eeidsvåg.jpg (57KB, 960x545px) Image search: [Google]
Eeidsvåg.jpg
57KB, 960x545px
>>842347
Travel to a place that offers it, where i live there are plenty of people that would be willing to hire you, and you can pick up small jobs from all over the county.
The work is usually simple, the farmers themselves like to do the more complicated work but if you impress them they'll give you harder work.
If you manage to ignore how long some days are you will end up making a pretty decent amount as a lot of jobs are expected to be done in a time frame the farmer can't do himself, like clean an entire broiler house in less than a day depending on the size it could be a 17-30 hour job and when you work long shifts the pay is great, sometimes close to 100$ per hour.
>>
File: 1466129169092.jpg (883KB, 2275x1237px) Image search: [Google]
1466129169092.jpg
883KB, 2275x1237px
>>
File: 1469247588562.jpg (585KB, 1937x865px) Image search: [Google]
1469247588562.jpg
585KB, 1937x865px
We start at 10$ hour.,
,, drivers license,, gets you 15$
,60hr week nets 700$!
,,,, BUNNY MOONLIGHT RANCH!!
>>
>>847690
oh shit this schizo nigger is back again.
>>
>>844253
Comes with the territory m8

Think of the bills and stress the farm owner puts up with

Also I haven't had a vacation in years

It's a 24/7 job at times

t. Third Generation Row crop farmer
>>
>>844498
But

>Muh Diversity
>Multiculturalism
>>
>>847694
>BUNNY MOONLIGHT RANCH
>>847690
kek
>>
>>842347
Rural guy here with fair familiarity with farming.

Increasing technology has really decreased the need for manpower in the farming world. Your best bet is to look for seasonal labor positions (look for jobs 'haying' in certain areas) or advertise those services, or better yet get good at growing produce and start a CSA and/or sell at farmers markets, and eventually try to sell to area restaurants. There's thriving market farmers all around me doing this, but it takes both work and ingenuity to get your product out there and market it well, and you have to find something that there isn't already a ton of.

For long-term labor on a larger farm though if that's what you're wanting, go learn to operate machinery and also learn to work on it. Having both of those skills will make you useful to a large-scale farming operation.

But, if I were going to do it I would try going the farmers market/CSA route.
>>
>>842347

Look on craiglist. You'd be surprise how many farmers are looking for help...well, at least in my area in WA.
>>
>>848692
Yea i know, i didnt say there was anything wrong with it. Its a decent summer job for a kid in highschool, i did it for awhile

Farmers have tough as far as working hours and there is definetly the stress of having crops exposed to all sorts of bullshit, BUT they get paid well for it. All the farmers i know (which is quite a few) are pretty loaded. Farmers make up most of the upper middle class in rural ontario at least

Vacation time is all winter for my area
>>
>>844236
You don't want to work on a farm anywhere except developed countries.
>>
>>842912
>>842932
Well, that's probably the best job OP is going find. Maybe learn stick welding or whatever they need on farms nowadays. Detassling corn for $5/hr is not romantic.
>>
>>842351
There is if your a good worker. For someone with zero experience it can be hard to find a farmer willing to give you a shot. Also farm jobs are usually seasonal and minimum wage so you still need something else
>>
>>850203
That's pure bull shit. Some years prices could be high and you could have a great crop which is usually when farmers will buy some new equipment and toys which gives the illusion of wealth. In reality outside those good years farmers can barely make ends meet. We're currently going through some bad years now and there's a shit load of farmers going broke because of it. During the last round of good years too many farmers took on too much debt and now it's biting them in the ass.

A farmer can't last long with high input costs and grain prices that barely break even or in the case of the current corn prices a slight loss. Many farmers had to take on debt after last year simply to try and get a crop this year and hope it's better which its not. Those that can will take more debt to try for another year and those that can't will have all their shit sold at auction or repossessed
>>
>>842347
where do you live? are you willing to learn how to drive a 9 ton tractor pulling 2 wagons loaded with 33 ton of grain? are you willing to do it for minimum wage and work 15 hours a day for a month straight? if you said no to any of the above then kindly fuck off
>>
>>852157
Im not talking toys
Im talking the fact that they all have massive houses on large lots on the country backing onto rivers and rivenes and all that good business

It could be just my area but they are loaded. They deserve it with all the hard work for sure
>>
>>852247
Again that's normal during and after good years. They will rip down old houses that are basically falling apart and build a nice new big house.

Thing is while farmers do sometimes get carried away spending they do have to spend some to get the tax write offs. A new truck for example they can get the sales tax back(little hard now) but they also get to write off the depreciation each year. It of course doesn't do shit for you if you didn't make enough to have to pay but if you did then those write offs can get you out of paying and often over time can cover about 75% of what you paid for the vehicle or whatever else.

Even during bad years you have to buy a few things to get those write offs which is where a lot of the debt comes from. Also a shit load of debt from buying land which is currently very expensive
>>
I have a small ranch with a dozen cattle. I don't have any full time hands, but pay people often who need to work. I have one guy who will work for a few weeks and then go away for a while.

I don't require any experience, you just have to want to work. Things like cutting brush, fixing fences, mowing, tending to a fire.

There may not be much on big cooperate farms, but lots of small operations can use help. If you were here you could work tomorrow. Now, that being said, manual labor is close to minimum wage, once you prove yourself I go up to 12 an hour.

My advice is find someone in your area, knock on the door and ask if they need any help or know of anyone who does.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.