[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sleep System General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

Let's talk about bags, quilts, blankets etc.

What do you use? What do you want to use?
>>
I've been thinking about copping a S2S ember quilt or an EE one.

Depending on which temp range I go for either would be the most cost-effective.
>>
I use a closed cell foam pad and a mummy bag. I wouldn't be opposed to using a quilt for summer, but I don't have a need to invest as I have an ancient synthetic bag that still works well enough.

Cold weather bag is a Sierra Designs Zissou from before they switched to the worse fill.
>>
>>842232
Shitty coleman ""0 Degrees"" sleeping bag I've had for 20 years, and an old U-haul blanket to lay on top of. Keeps me warm in all but the coldest sub-zero nights.
If it's going to be above freezing, just an old GI wool blanket is all I need.
>>
>>842244
Forgot to add that if it gets below zero, I wrap myself in the U-haul blanket, adds that little extra insulation to keep me toasty warm.
>>
I have been using a nato sleeping mat, snugpak merlin and an old bivvy bag + tarp as required. Works ok so far, but not very comfortable.

I have an open cell mat, but I tend no to take that because it just feels so big.

Currently thinking of switching to hammock. I bought a snugpak hammock to try and its great just to relax in at home. Was thinking of going for the tiergear hammock + underquilt.
>>
>>842232
I sleep in the tent butt naked on nothing but ground because it is so fucking hot and humid here.
>>
I've been trying to pick a sleeping mat. I just don't know which R-value to choose.

I've heard it claimed that a value of 3 is good down to freezing point?
>>
>>842267
Houston tx here, I know your struggle my friend
>>
Are slumberjack bags a meme? I want to get the Ronin 0 but they seem almost too cheap.
>>
>>842232
That sleeping system looks perfect. Will never go /out/ ever again.
>>
Quilts are the only way to go. The bottom of your bag compresses when you sleep on it and it is then useless and offers no thermal protection. Quilts cut that useless bit out to save on weight, and money.
>>
>>843146
>Quilts
>lightweight
I spotted the car camper.
>>
>>843153

Spotted the kid with chicken legs.
>>
>>842356
My name is Matt. You can sleep with me
>>
>>843252
Not him but that's my name too. I-I'll sleep with you.
>>
>>843153
given the same construction and materials, yes, they will be lighter than the equivalent sleeping bag.
>>
File: Mod.SleepSystem[1].jpg (4MB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
Mod.SleepSystem[1].jpg
4MB, 3872x2592px
got dis from days in da war. dakka comfy.
>>
>>843153
You spotted a thru hiker with 6000 miles on his belt. Only amateurs use bags anymore
>>
>>843423
i can tell you pee right out the side on account of those unclasped buttons
>>
>>843426

Uncle Sam put them there for a reason.
>>
>>842232
In the alpine and cold weather I use a JrB 10 degree quilt, a neoair xtherm pad, and a Kifaru sawtooth tent. If really cold I take a Seek Outside SXL stove.

If warmer and lower elevation, decent weather expected, I go with my trusty old Henessey expedition asym, and a 40 degree EE quilt. I would like to get an underquilt to use this setup later in the year as I find sleeping in a hammock damn comfortable.
>>
File: us.png (592KB, 957x972px) Image search: [Google]
us.png
592KB, 957x972px
>>843429
>>
>>843432

Please tell me you just made this. That's a hell of an oddly specific macro if you didn't.
>>
File: geeps_or.png (88KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
geeps_or.png
88KB, 261x195px
>>843434
Of course I just made it anon.
>>
File: 5598-142171.jpg (10KB, 462x462px) Image search: [Google]
5598-142171.jpg
10KB, 462x462px
>>842232
I'm leery about getting a mummy bag since I'm a fat fuck. Can anyone recommend a decent one for a landwhale like myself?
Pic is the Hotcore R-200, one I've been looking at.
>>
>>843500
What are you doing to get thin?
>>
>>843508
Working out, eating better, going outside hopefully. I'd rather not freeze my ass off in the ratty envelope bag I've had since I was 10.
>>
>>843500
Lose weight you dumb fuck
>>
>>843511
Again, that's what I'm doing. I'd like to do it outside, if that's okay with you.
>>
>>843500
yeah that thing looks ginormous i think youll be fine with it lol
>>
>>843513
>if that's ok with you

Take your passive aggressive attitude elsewhere, /out/ is for pleasant discussion.
>>
Are the thermarest z lite foam pads worth it? Thinking of,getting one. I slide off of my alps air pad when im sleeping and frankly ive had enough
>>
>>843511
>"lose weight you dumb fuck"

>>843762
>"take your passive aggressive attitude elsewhere, out id for pleasant discussion"

I'm confused
>>
>>844139
No. Get the Naturehike foldable egg-crate instead, for like 15 bucks. Just as good, fraction of the price
>>
I was trying to see if I could get an unissued woobie without being ripped off today and I came across a thermarest mat I've never seen before.

http://ammocanman.com/copy-of-usgi-foam-sleeping-pag/
>>
>>842238
Considering the same thing.
Because I'm a big guy, I would need the large version of the Ember.

The Ember II in large is closest in specs to a an EE revelation in long, wide 20°F.

The EE looks like the winner though. Not much price difference but better warmth, fill power, weight etc etc.
>>
>>844189
I'm thinking I might get them both but for different temp ranges.
>>
Shitty $20 7 degree celsius sleeping bag and a thick OzTrai biker Swag. I had a Kathmandu sub zero bag in there but it was too fucking hot.
>>
Going to be the first time I will have a gf going into Fall/Winter. What would you guys sleep with if you have a partner?
>>
Anyone got experience with the snugpak jungle blanket?

It gets lots of good reviews on Amazon but the bad ones are concerning.
They claim it's not very warm which probably isn't a big deal for me, I don't need it to be very warm.
They claim it slide around like mad which is somewhat concerning for me.
A 5'11 guy says it's too short to cover him. That really concerns me.
>>
File: my_sleeping_rig.jpg (136KB, 561x1443px) Image search: [Google]
my_sleeping_rig.jpg
136KB, 561x1443px
>DD ¥ungle Hammock with fitted tarps/bugneg
>Browning™ 20º Mummy Bag
>Snugpak™ Underquilt
>L.L. Bean fleece blankey
I don't usually do strenuous hikes when I'm camping, but this stuff is fairly easy to pack and go with. The coldest I've hung was about 20ºF and with the underquilt and mummy bag I was actually too warm. I think with those two, plus the fleece, I could tolerate down to 5º or even 0º (as long as the tarps are on to windbreak). No ragrets, the stuff was a bit proicey overall, but suits me perfectly. I'm a firm believer in never skimping on your sleeping stuff, cumpfy sleep and peace of mind is too damned pivotal to a successful /out/ting
>>
>>843423
I see you can visit wikipedia as well.

How much does that weigh? I can't find that info on Wikipedia.
>>
>>844684
Old ones weigh about 4.41 kg all up. Don't know about ACU ones.
>>
>>843153
Not the quilts that your grandma sews you dipshit
>>
>>843153
lmao it's not your grandma's quilt, dipschidt
>>
I usually shove pine straw under the tent and use a lightweight army surplus mummy bag. If it's colder I just sleep in my clothes in the bag. Also I put clothes like an extra sweater inside a shirt as a pillow. I don't really do car camping or camp when it's legitimately cold out. Also I'm cheap and kinda enjoy being slightly uncomfortable.

If I car camp I bring all the otherwise useless fucktons of quilted comforters people always want to send me for gifts.
>>
>>842232
>What do you use?

I’ve got two sleeping bags; my old Boy Scout medium weight bag with a nylon shell, flannel liner and polyester stuffing and a heavier bag that a good 20 years old, with a cotton canvas shell, flannel liner and polyester stuffing.

For cold weather, I safety pin the medium bag inside the heavy bag for a very heavy and comfy sleeping bag that's good for below zero temps.

I used a Thermarest self-inflating pad for years but a couple of years back switched to a Cabelas lounger cot.
>>
North face 20 degree bag. If it's going to get close to 20 add a fleece liner. Ridge rest foam pad.
>>
>>842356
I used to have a 2.2 vango piece of shit, and that was good to about -2 or 3 but i upgraded to the r5 thermarest x-therm, and i was toasty at -15 and its still good for summer use. More rs dont hurt friend
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.