[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Colorado Thunderstorms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: maroon bells.jpg (254KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
maroon bells.jpg
254KB, 800x533px
I had been planning to hike the Maroon Bell 4 pass loop next week and its supposed to thunderstorm a lot of the week.

Anyone have any experience hiking in Colorado in this type of weather?

I've heard some say this is unavoidable in Colorado and you just have to get down each pass by 11 or 12.
I've heard others say I'll get fried by lightening.

I'm a novice backpacker so I'm not really sure what to believe....
>>
Just spent two weeks hiking in CO. Thunder almost every day. Just find shelter until they pass and keep going. Don't stay on the passes too long and try to do then before noon. Otherwise you shOuld be fine.
>>
File: i-7QqXwDF-L.jpg (53KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-7QqXwDF-L.jpg
53KB, 338x600px
>>840264
Yeah dude, high mountain thunderstorms aren't something to fuck around with.
I would plan to be making your descent down by the time the storms even start rolling in.... if not below treeline by then.

Should you find yourself caught in a storm... find a low spot in a valley (or as low as you can easily get to) and crouch down on the balls of your feet. If you're in a group, spread out 20-30ft from each other. Wait it out.

>Clouds rolling in on the way up the mountain to this site
>Lightning fried a microwave radio on this tower a few days earlier, POE injector in the doghouse got zapped too
>Backup POE injector already installed in the cabinet (move the cable), had a replacement radio in the truck
>not going up the tower today
>flash of lightning, nearly immediate thunder
>timetogo.exe
>Boogie'd down the mountain

Site I had come off of an hour or so earlier had a lightning shelter just off the road in the saddle of the two summits. Big 6ft-round steel cylinder on its side, wall/window on the far side, door on the front side, benches inside... sort of "cage" around the outside of it... all heavily grounded... Good to know it's there, but I don't wanna have to chill out in there waiting for a storm to pass either.
>>
>>840264
>I've heard some say this is unavoidable in Colorado and you just have to get down each pass by 11 or 12.
Yep. They're magnificent.

>I've heard others say I'll get fried by lightening.
You will if you're not off of the mountain by when the storms move in.
>>
I live in colorado, during the summer it storms so much here, almost every night I can see lightening off in the distance somewhere

I also saw lightening strike about 100m away from me
>>
I wanna hike part if the Colorado trail for a week or two starting in a week. What kind of weather should I expect? My sleepin bag is 40 degree ;-;
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.