[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flashlight/Torch/Lantern Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 17

File: SOLARAY-PRO-ZX-1.jpg (88KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
SOLARAY-PRO-ZX-1.jpg
88KB, 1000x1000px
Flashlight/Torch/Lantern Thread

What does /out/ use to light their path?

Had pic related for like a year and it took a shit on me, never really liked it to begin with though. Was bright enough but seemed like it died way to fast. In the market for a new light now
>>
Just bought one of those fenix 35s the 1000 lumin ones. Didn't do much research, I just wanted something to replace the piece of shit dollar store one I keep in my car. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>840159

>fenix 35s

A lot of people I work with have these types of lights, if you're talking about the smaller one that looks like a pen

Really useful for inspecting welds in tight spaces
>>
>>840169
I think it's a little thicker than a pen, but I guess it's in the same ballpark. Seems great for what it is, a part of me wishes I bought the TK75 with an extender now that I looked it up. Seems ideal for outdoors use, the PD35 is probably the more sensible general purpose light though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jazPTN44sH0
>>
File: 2s9src8.jpg (115KB, 592x451px) Image search: [Google]
2s9src8.jpg
115KB, 592x451px
>>840181 Yeah those TK75's have a modular battery pack, it's totally possible to make something insane.
>>
>>840181

Yeah from what I've noticed they're REALLY bright when focused, but if you want a wider area of light they get dim when you spread it out, compared to flashlights that are a tid bit bigger.

The smaller ones seem like they would be good for doing shit around camp at night, when things aren't so far away.

Seems like a solid purchase desu
>>
>>840184

I'll look into those to replace the POS Solaray i bought
>>
>>840188
nice, thanks.
>>
File: IMG_20140727_214350642.jpg (63KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140727_214350642.jpg
63KB, 800x450px
55 watts, battery automatically recharges. High/low-beam modes.
>>
>>840224

Only weighs 260 pounds and is loud as everliving shit

This enduro fad has got to fade
>>
I just carry the same mag light I have been.
>>
>>840153
It seems like every flashlight I find these days has 80 different modes. High beam, really fucking high, medium, sorta-kinda medium, low, strobe mode, red night vision beam, blue blood tracking beam, lightsaber mode. Christ I just want it to turn on and off when I press the button.
>>
>>840469
I bought this flashlight on the internet. Doesn't even turn on, it just has some weird rubber pussy or whatever inside that you can fuck. It's actually pretty good.
>>
File: yellow kek.jpg (30KB, 530x600px) Image search: [Google]
yellow kek.jpg
30KB, 530x600px
>>840500
>>
>>840153
SUREFIRE.
>>
I like my E12.
>>
File: 41551_2735-20v2-lg.jpg (106KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
41551_2735-20v2-lg.jpg
106KB, 520x520px
I tried a few of these super 500-lumen flashlights, the ones with cree LEDs you can find on amazon for 30 bucks. It's true that they are insanely bright, but they burn through their battery ridiculously quickly. Within 5 minutes the flash in my phone is brighter than the actual flashlight.

I've been thinking of getting one of those power-tool flashlights. They use a big cordless drill battery pack, so I imagine the charge should last for a good while. At least an hour I'm hoping. Anyone here try the Milwaukee or DeWalt flashlights?
>>
>>840919
I do like my surefire, just hate the battery's.

So like 20 years ago I was leaving work.
Saw a piece of pipe in the road.
Semi truck came by and ran it over with every tire on the passenger side, cab and trailer.
Went to leave and noticed it was a maglite.
Pulled over, picked it up.
Not a dent or deformity, just a couple nicks.
Flipped it on and it worked.
Still use it today.

So I'm pretty much a maglite fan from the day on.
With the upgrade bulbs available, and standard battery types, I'll stick with maglite for everyday stuff.
But the surefire is always close by.
>>
>>841282
I would love to use those big D-cell flashlights, but they don't make good affordable rechargeable D-cell batteries. Using disposable batteries isn't a big deal, but I've managed to convert everything else in the household to rechargeable, it would feel weird to revert back.
>>
>>841301
My led bulb in my maglite is like 10x brighter and 100x longer battery life than the old standard xenon bulb.
I live innawoods and use my 4 D cell mag every night. Takes about a year to wear down the battery's.
I think the bulb package claimed 1,000 hours- and that's about what I get.
Ya the surefire that fits in my pocket is brighter, but what's the run time on it- like 10 hours?
>>
Anyone know a decent headlamp that can be charged/powered by USB?
>>
>>841275
Those batteries are heavy as fuck. Fine for around the house but that's about it. Aso not very bright unless they've flipped to LED since I got mine.
>>
>>840181
>>840159
I had the PD32 for 3 years in 300 lumens
Loved the shit out of it. And you will too with yours.
Just get 18650 batteries + charger for daily use, and keep CR123's in your truck, bug out bags and at home for emergencies.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>841313
Petzl makes one that I know for sure

There are however come more and more 'normal' USB rechargeable flashlights on the market. I however steer clear of those.
>charging circuit could bust
>possible point of ingress for water
>where you gonna power from /out/? A powerbank?
>shitty cold weather behavior with lithiums

I bought a Zebralight flashlight. Uses 1 AA(@200 lumens) or 1 14500 (@500 lumens) and came with a free headband

>inb4 crackpipe
>>
I found a Nightsearcher Explorer XP-G. Looking it up seems like an expensive lamp, and it uses this weird proprietary 18650 with + and - at both end so you cant put it in the wrong way around.

Only problem is, I don't have a charger for it. My friend told me that it takes your average 12V plug wall adapter, but I wouldn't want to blow this one up by trial and error. Could anyone confirm that these take 12v? Since it looks like your average DC plug that it takes, is it negative on the outside or the center?

I DID email the company, but never got an answer back since they're probably just thinking "give it back tyrone".
>>
>>840188
Does Fenix make a flashlight with adjustable beam focus?

I've owned 3 or 4 Fenix's over the years, and never seen one that did, but It's been a couple years since I've looked at 'em.
>>
File: TIP_EN_19.jpg (160KB, 1140x713px) Image search: [Google]
TIP_EN_19.jpg
160KB, 1140x713px
Need something relatively small with USB charging for my mom, any recommendations?
>>
>>844173
What's the voltage on the battery? That's what you need to match on the charger, that plug type is a standard and not related to what voltage it uses.
>>
File: 3138H7IlOJL.jpg (11KB, 500x268px) Image search: [Google]
3138H7IlOJL.jpg
11KB, 500x268px
Led Lenser P5R2

https://www.liteshop.com.au/content/led-lenser-p5r2-rechargeable-focusable-led-torch
>>
File: MagLite 2-D cell.jpg (45KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
MagLite 2-D cell.jpg
45KB, 550x400px
>>840153
>What does /out/ use to light their path?

I’ve got a 2-D cell Maglite that’s over 20 years old and a Rayovac headlamp that I picked up at Homey Depot for $5.
>>
File: Rayovac-DIYHL3AAA.jpg (117KB, 929x1025px) Image search: [Google]
Rayovac-DIYHL3AAA.jpg
117KB, 929x1025px
>>844453
>a Rayovac headlamp that I picked up at Homey Depot for $5.
>>
>>844453
LED that shit out yo

Drop-in modules are hella cheap, just get the right voltage
>>
I kinda want a lantern shaped like those old oil lanterns, just for the fun/comfy factor of having it hang in front of my tent when I go /out/

Anyone got an opinion on those?
>>
>>844494
Clunky and heavy, if you're talking about the actual thing
>>
How are Olight Baton (s1 ,s2) series?
>>
>>844494
https://www.amazon.com/NorthPoint-Vintage-Style-Lantern-Copper/dp/B004HWCWBW

I've been thinking about getting one of these, don't know how well it's gonna work tho...
>>
>>844494
>>844732
Get a Dietz Hurricane Lantern.

Depending on the model, you can get one that can also heat your food/water.

>>844499
Pretty good. They have a new one coming out that's around 900 lumens.
>>
>>844492
This.

I got a Terralux drop-in for an old AA Mini-Maglite my mom carries and brought new life to that light (until the light itself broke, but whatever, it's cheap to get a new light).
>>
>>840153
Best performance for the money handheld? convoy s2+ for flood or convoy c8 for throw. Legit ~900 lumens and each cost like $15 burgerbuxs
>>
File: 20160826_025804.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160826_025804.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Thrunite tn 12. Like 15 lumens, all the way up to like 1100. Also has strobe, durable as fuck (been my weapon light for my AR, close to a thousand rounds have gone through the ar, all that vibration done nothing to it)
>>
>>844499

Makes for a very nice edc light.
>>
I've got 4 or 5 different headlamps, all made by petzl, all hand-me-downs or gifts. They all work fine, despite not being taken care of particularly well. I've also got about the same number of maglites, with about the same track record.
>>
File: s10r_front_angle.jpg (380KB, 2885x1753px) Image search: [Google]
s10r_front_angle.jpg
380KB, 2885x1753px
>>844185
Olight S10 Baton
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (63KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
63KB, 1280x1280px
The Nebo Obeam is hands down the best flashlight I've ever used. Great battery life, consistent and even throw, great settings (beacon is awesome), 420 lumens, built like a tank. It's literally perfect except it's a little pricy. Good thing my girlfriend's dad gave me his as a gift.
>>
BD spot headlamp for most (8/10) $45
-bright enough for me
-red light
- mulitple dim modes
-water resistant
-good batt life

Fenix eo1 as backup (7/10) $10
-not much bigger than a AA battery (uses aaa)
-pretty bright for its size
-waterproof (put it through the washer a few times)
-good batt life

Dollarama lantern (6/10) $1.50
-bright enough to prepare a meal
-good batt life
-little bulky for the light output
>>
>>844454
you like it alright? I'm on the market for a headlamp
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.