[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one go out and experience things? I am sick of being

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: wh.png (75KB, 632x107px) Image search: [Google]
wh.png
75KB, 632x107px
How does one go out and experience things? I am sick of being a shut-in and have decided to go on some kind of journey. I understand that I am out of my depth, so I am asking what are the bare necessities for making this journey? How much money shall I save up and what are some important things to know?

I am extremely depressed with my current situation and hate life. If anyone has done something such as this, please share your experiences.
>>
File: the day the earth caught fire 4A.jpg (379KB, 1600x1342px) Image search: [Google]
the day the earth caught fire 4A.jpg
379KB, 1600x1342px
>>839215
Or if I am biting off more than I can chew, what are some things to do to get used to an /out/ lifestyle.
>>
>>839215
pls respond
>>
>>839215
Lurk here more instead of starting lame threads like this one
>>
>>839215
You mean as a journey to the wilderness where you spend multiple days/weeks alone, or a journey across countries where you do some minimal jobs and try to socialize, experience new things, etc. just to revitalize and rediscover yourself?
>>
>>839259
The latter preferably.
>>
>>839263
Although I have been lurking for tips on wilderness exploration, but there are less threads about what I am specifically aiming to do.
>>
>>839263
Well it's not that outdoor related then, /adv/ or /soc/ could help more I guess. Still, there is a huge chance that you will fuck up and go home after a few weeks of starving and getting beaten up on the streets of Thailand, but if you really wish to give it a shot, plan everything from the start, do a shitton of research and always have a backup plan. You can stay in a hostel safely in developed countries, or you can rent a container or bring your own tent or whatever you wish. If you don't have cash you can always find work as a cleaner guy, in some tourist places even as a waiter if you're lucky and you manage to get that shit organized before you leave for your journey.
It doesn't hurt to get as many pals as you can during your stay to help each other out.
And as I said, you'll most likely not enjoy it because whatever some famous guy said in a book about the ole' times when he fucked around in SE Asia (somehow that's where a lot of guys go), this lifestyle is expensive and you'll need a nice sum to cover it. One of my classmates went on a journey like this a year ago where he wandered and hitchhiked around China and Thailand, bought some cheap motorbike from a fellow traveler and stuff like that, but his father is a freaking cardiac surgeon in Germany. That helps a lot.
>>
>>839301
Thanks for this, I'm still young so I have some time to plan for this. I'm not naive enough to think it will be a spiritual journey, but I do want to experience some hardship and actually live.
>>
>>839306
I don't want to discourage you, a trip like that can define your whole life. I'd definitely give it a shot, actually I wanted to do this too. My plan was to look around for volunteer jobs where you'll earn no pay but you'll get bed and food for things like helping farmers on Iceland, helping renovating a house in New Zealand, etc. I can recommend you this way, you'll get to socialize and meet a lot of cultures, and it's not that expensive either. Look around on workaway.
Anyways, I got a soon-to-be-wife in my life so that road is closed for me and I deeply regret not doing it before.
>>
>>839310
That'll be workaway.info btw, not the other site.
>>
>>839310
Do you need any experience for volunteering abroad? Or can you approach with a willingness and drive to work for nothing? I'm English btw, if that helps at all.
>>
>>839314
Thanks. I'll make sure to look into volunteering.
>>
>>839316
Well if it's a very specific job like working on some machine, then I guess. Most works consist of pretty basic jobs and they teach you that.
>>
>>839215
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NMAMOO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A138GYT3Y3DZXX
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A8C5QE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TOX6UM6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Pan, pot (titanium if you want), hammock, tarp, do you want like a full list?
>>
>>839559
Yes, if possible!
>>
>>839735

Fleece cap
boonie hat w/ face bug net
bandana
shemagh
overcoat
sweat shirt
t-shirt
belt
long johns
pants
wool socks (ex. Smart Wool)
boots (ex. Merrel Moab)
poncho
some sort of 40, 50+Liter pack (military surplus, Fjällräven etc.)
waterproof pack cover
dry bags

a good lensatic compass
headlamp
flashlight
work gloves (ex. Mechanix)
folding saw (ex. Bahco)
fingersaw
rubberbands
razorblades
Gorilla tape
tripwire
good tang knife
folding knife
wool gloves
wool blanket
mylar blanket
big bugnet
hammock with straps and warm padding and a tarp for over it and stakes to tie it down.
rope (ex. Sterling, Pelican, etc)
couple prussik ropes
carabiners
32oz Naglenes

forearm length machete
paper and pencil for fun/bored
jute twine
bankline #36
550 paracord
snap lights
matches
wind/waterproof matches
candles
5x magnifying glass
rescue mirror
flint/ferro rods
quad oughtsteel wool with 9v batteries
lighters/zippo
Everclear/flask for an excellerant
fat wood
start collecting dryer lint
lampwicks
charcloth

zipties
hatchet
bear spray (if you're going in their part of the country)
Altoid tins
plastic baggies
awl
knife sharpening stone w/ oil

star reference guide, bark reference books, berry reference books

Medical Kit

P38
iodine tabs
LifeStraw
stainless steel water bottle
spork
ladle

and look into a food dehyrator
>>
>>839767
It looks like a lot ...but you wear about most of the heavy shit, the medical shit you need, the rest can be categorized into food/water shit, fire making shit, and sleeping shit.

Everything fits inside everything else.

Make it a fun hobby to learn about each one of those items. Watch a lot of Dave Canterbury on his wildernessoutfitters YouTube channel. Go out on a two or three night camp if you've never been /out/ before. This can be a good change up for you. You'll appreciate yourself more.
>>
>>839775
Not Op, but I'm curious where you would suggest a beginner to go /out/ for the first couple of times?
>>
>>839778
State Park
>>
>>839263
Have you considered WWOOFing as a small step towards this? It'll only have you travelling to one place at a time, but you won't have to worry about housing or food.
Meet other people, learn about foreign culture, make some friends, work with your hands.
>>
>>839215
>Tfw hikki NEET who wants to go /out/ but doesn't have any way of getting out except for walking hundreds of miles

Feels bad man.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.