[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much am i fucked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (235KB, 1600x901px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
235KB, 1600x901px
So I'm hiking Mount Washington in New Hampshire on Thursday and its my first outing in a couple of years (used to be out doing stuff every month) and have outgrown most of my outdoor clothing.

My questions are how bad would it be to wear jeans on this hike (only thing I own) and do i need hiking poles or could i use ski poles instead

Also anything more/less I should bring, not including lunch
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2446x3055px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2446x3055px
>>838838
My shit
>>
what trail are you taking up m8? i've done washington a few times and never once used poles. tuckerman? gulf? something else?
>>
>>838849
I'm not sure yet, I'm going with 3 other guys who have all done it before, one guy goes up all time and he's going to be the "guide"
>>
>>838838
You'll be fine with jeans, as long as they fit you right and aren't too baggy or tight, plenty of people /out/ in jeans.

Hiking poles are your preference to make, I've never used a pair so I can't say there are any pros or cos to it.
>>
>>838839

If you were never in the military kys
>>
You don't need the giant knife, little knife, and multitool. That's overkill. Take the small knife, it's all you need.

You didn't specify footwear, may sure you have reliable boots. I wouldn't use trail runners, but some people prefer them.

Please please I beg of you not to wear the shemga. It's as cringe worthy as it gets, it's the fedora of sc/out/s.
>>
>>838838
NH isn't that /out/. Rating thread OP only gave it like a 5 out of 10

That said I've been in jeans in the WMNF 100's of times and I'm still alive.
>>
Don't underestimate Mt Washington. It's been called the worst weather in the world. That's not exactly true, but it can get bad quickly. You can leave at 70 degrees and be sunny and within 2 hours can be below freezing with hurricane force winds. It's been called the most dangerous small mountain in the world for a reason. Almost 140 people have died on its slopes. The highest ground wind speed ever recorded was there at 231 Mph, and on average 100 days a year has hurricane force winds. The conditions there at times are similar to Antarctica.

That said, kids in flip flops complete the hike all the time. It's only when things go wrong, that they go wrong very quickly.

Check the forecast, and had a set of extra layers in case the temps drop. Carry water, have good shoes, and some food, and you'll be fine.
>>
Mount Washington?

Don't make me laugh.
There's a fucking road to the top.

Get in trouble, just go hitch a ride down.
Fuckin A out, get real.
>>
>>838838
It's summer so you should be fine. Especially with a silkweight sweat-wicking underlayer.

Also stop being so fat
>>
>>838839
>fixed belt knife
>fixed neck knife
>folding knife
>multitool
damn negreo, too much shit
>>
>>839185
No shit, I love it when least coasters try to make that place out to be fucking Everest
>>
>>839185
>>839200
these guys get it. Mt Washington is barely a zit on the earth's face. It's nothing like the real mountains in CA

Seriously, girls track teams train by jogging up it.
>>
Next time buy some Genuine Gear BDUs.

They may have cotton but they dry up very quickly and they come PU coated. Also they are comfy as fuck.
>>
>>839200
>>839209

The Elevation has very little to do with how dangerous it is. The weather is what causes problems. Remember it's much farther north than most California mountains, and you forget how much colder the Northeast is than the west coast. The west coast has extremely mild weather comparatively.

The weather at the peak is genuinely similar to Antarctica, and hurricane force winds are there 100 days a year. The highest wind speed ever recorded was there. It's nothing to laugh at.

It's not the climb or hike that's hard, you're completely missing the point, it's the weather that kills people.
>>
>>839326
True this, the weather on Mount Washingtonis far worse than any single spot in California.

Wind chill of over 100 below zero happens often.
>>
>>838894
because of the hat?
>>
>>839209
Real mountains in CA?....what a terrible place to bring up when mentioning mountains.
>Montana
>Colorado
>Alaska
Those places have mountains true to the word, poor Californians thinking they live in the rockies. Smog must be getting to them
>>
>>839409
This, it's not like California has the highest peak in the lower 48, and Montanas highest peak definitely isn't 117th
>>
File: 1449898642432.gif (906KB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
1449898642432.gif
906KB, 160x120px
>all that gear for a 4 hour hike
>6k feet elevation
>road to the top
>no guys you don't understand it's actually super extreme and death defying
>>
>>839417
Do a little research, people die there nearly every year from being unprepared.

Your comment shows a lack of knowledge. As a previous anon stated, it's not the elevation or distance that is a problem, it's the weather.

I understand your simple mind hears "mountain", and you instantly assume that the only factor is elevation.

I know some mountains are taller. That's obvious. I know some hikes are longer. What you don't understand is that makes no dofference.

The weather is the problem. The mountain has some of the world's most extreme weather, including the highest wind speed EVER recorded.

The area could be completely flat and people would die, it's not the mountain that is a problem. It's the WEATHER.

In fair weather the hike is easy, it's no problem. It's when the weather turns bad in the off season or outside summer season that it becomes a problem. It catches people who are unprepared.

We are simply telling OP to be prepared.

To be quite honest, it's people like you that die on Mt washington.

>>"there's bigger mountains in California"
>>temps drop 40 degrees in an hour
>> hurricane force winds
>>wind chill of negative 100
>>white out snow in September
>>anon thought "but muh muh califernia mountens was higher"
>>anon dies.
>>
>>839443
>dude it's so extreme
>you could die at any second
>the only thing more dangerous than shark rodeo and train surfing is doing a day hike up a 6k foot peak where it can be windy sometimes

Yikes, look at these poor souls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezIqFyjAUP4
It's so traumatic and deadly that when they were preparing to meet their maker they decided to laugh and make a silly youtube video
>>
>>839326

Motherfucker I live off the grid in Vermont.

It's August, theres a road to the top, and Mt Washington and all of the whites will be crawling with idiots from now till the leaves are done turning.

If OP can die on Mt Washington, good on him.

I mean fuck, I've ripped up that road at night on a dirt bike.

Dildo can survive a hike in August.
>>
File: mt_washington.jpg (151KB, 430x539px) Image search: [Google]
mt_washington.jpg
151KB, 430x539px
>>839409
>>839415
You don't know anything. CA is God tier and 1000X anything your state has.

East coast is utter shit tier. NH is like a 5 out of 10. Really, whining about the big bad wind on a little hill you can drive up?

reCAPTCHA: Select all images with Mountains
>>
>>839465
>off the grid
posting on 4chan but lives "off the grid"

I don't think you understand what that means.
>>
>>839471

Solar, bud.

Phone for work cuz maintenance and security are one where I work, gotta pay to play.

>not being the only shitposter for miles around when the power is out.

Pleb. Sage.
>>
>>839443

>temps drop 40 degrees in an hour
> hurricane force winds
>wind chill of negative 100
>white out snow in September

So it's like Canada? Sounds like a normal winter to me.
>>
>>839483
Yes, Mt Washington weather is similar to northern Labrador.
>>
>>839483
>So it's like Canada? Sounds like a normal winter to me.
But it's super duper ultra mega NH wind though!!1
>>
>>839415
>splitting hairs on elevation
Nigger 12,000 feet is 12,000 feet. Granite Peak is considered the most difficult state high point to summit

Also this
http://missoulian.com/news/local/record-mph-wind-recorded-at-logan-pass-in-glacier-park/article_c7ab7802-c111-11e3-9391-001a4bcf887a.html
>>
File: funfunfun.jpg (39KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
funfunfun.jpg
39KB, 500x333px
>>838838
do yourself a favor and go to dollar general or walmart, buy a cheap pair of athetic shorts *any color you like cupcake*

you'll be so much more comfortable, especially if you "outgrew" things through eating too many MREs.

CROTCH ROT IS REAL
>>
ITT: Commiefornians showing off how insecure they are
>>
File: washington_01.jpg (35KB, 610x340px) Image search: [Google]
washington_01.jpg
35KB, 610x340px
>>839985
this.

silly fagûts.
>>
>>839917
I read that article.

They wrote a news article for a 139mph gust.

Mt Washington has winds over 200mph.

They have winds over 100mph many days a year.

The article states that in Montana 100mph gusts are rare.

They have hurricane for winds on average 110 days a year.
>>
>>840009
They have hurricane force winds 110 days a year refers to Mt washington, not montana.
>>
File: Mt_Wash_from_wildcat.jpg (64KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
Mt_Wash_from_wildcat.jpg
64KB, 600x337px
>>839996
This pic was taken dead of winter. Of course there's snow & ice then.
What about now?

Here's a live shot from the ski mtn across from it.
>>
File: intheclouds_northview-med.jpg (25KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
intheclouds_northview-med.jpg
25KB, 600x337px
>>840645
and check out the live view from the top. What a panorama
>>
>>838944
>Shemga
I thought circumcised guys don't get that?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.