[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/ Do you guys bring shovels with you?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 12

File: folding-camping-shovel1.png (308KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
folding-camping-shovel1.png
308KB, 800x800px
Hey /out/
Do you guys bring shovels with you?
>>
Yes, I have two of them attached to my arms.
>>
Only for overnighters with a tent to dig shitters and a rain trench round the tent.

I also use it to chop wood. No, no folding shovel I got the Cold Steel special forces shovel wich is a beast in my opinion
>>
>>838290
You're so cool.
Can I sit at your table during lunch?
>>
>>838302

Nah
>>
>>838289
No, but I do bring a small hatchet and a small knife
Shovels are okay if you are going on long expeditions with your squad of 4+ friends and you can designate shovels and axes in order to equally distribute weight. You really won't need a shovel if you're alone, and if you're with others then you all don't need one each
>>
>>838293
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOaEjJz-6jg

wew lad
>>
File: 20150126_014232.jpg (582KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20150126_014232.jpg
582KB, 2048x1152px
heavy, overkill, but damn nice to have

if we put the "muh survival" har on for a moment, i feel a lot of people neglect the shovel, a shovel can enable a LOT of shelter building

i have a small fiskars plastic trowel of shitting holes and stuff but having an almost propper shovel aswel as an almost propper pick is so nice
>>
>>838289
I keep a trench shovel in the trunk of my car.
>>
>>838289
Plastic trowl
>>
When I go out I usually just bring my steel folding trowel (which generally is all I need), but I have a small 2 foot shovel that I might bring if I know I'll have a specific use for it, like digging up wild potatoes or something.
>>
>>838289
Always.

Russian entrenching tool. 1/3 of the weight of a NATO folding one, losing none of the function. Bonus - no joints, use it as a fucking hatchet if need be.

Also use it to cracj skulls if need be.
>>
>>838290
How do you do anything else all da
>>
>>838293

Every review I have seen says those are amazing. How has yours turned out?
>>
i unboxed one in a store today. heavy as fuck with a useless saw. going back to lightweightfag handshovel to burry my poop.
>>
>>838289
A plastic orange one for digging holes to poop in

I don't understand why I would need any more than that.
I'm not doing any landscaping or gardening while backpacking
>>
>>838617
guys are probably digging for minecraft
>>
File: DSC01773_.jpg (154KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01773_.jpg
154KB, 800x600px
>>838289
Absolutely. Beacon and probe too, along with the airbag protection my pack offers.

And I won't ride with you if you don't have a shovel. I usually have an extra shovel/beacon/probe in the truck in case someone does forget theirs. Hell, I have a spare airbag pack too.

So yes, I carry a shovel.
>Pic extremely related.
>>
>>838289
>bring shovels
How bury the trash that don't burn if no shovel silly plebe or trogledyte?
>>
>>838623
>minecraft
pickaxe better for minecraft

Obsidian.............
>>
>>838289
Yes. I bought one a while ago that the handle screws together and the end can be pivoted to be a shovel or a hoe/pick. Handle is straight, so I took an old 40mm grenade pouch and fanageled with it so it would stay on my belt. Same with my hatchet.
>>
>>838737
Post pics
>>
>>838352
Wew fuckin lad

I can buy that and replace my hatchet and gain a shovel
>>
>>838429
this, anything else and you're retarded
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT-JxTwwV7Q
>>
File: CIMG2165.jpg (510KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
CIMG2165.jpg
510KB, 1200x1600px
>>838786
Dead camera and no webcam, but this is the website I got the idea from. I bought the pouches on Amazon, don't remember how much I paid.

http://thetacticaloutdoorsman.blogspot.com/2014/04/how-to-carry-hatchet-on-molle-pack.html
>>
>>838575
As I wrote: its a beast. The steel is thick and its virtually immune to every shit I forced it into. I probably chopped more wood with it than with every axe I own.

The handle is secured with two thick philipps screws so its easy to remove and replace with a long branch for more leverage.

I dont wanna sound like a cold steel shill but theres virtually no single bad thing I can say about the shovel.
>>
>>838369
You should never be building a shelter unless you're about to die. If so then sure bring a shovel.

LNT
N
T
>>
>>838790
>I can buy that and replace my hatchet and gain a shovel
It won't work well as a hatchet if you actually use it as a shovel.

>>838289
I got a folding shovel in my car that i can bring.
>>
>>838289
That dead hooker ain't gunna bury herself.
>>
>>838369
>if we put the "muh survival" har on for a moment, i feel a lot of people neglect the shovel, a shovel can enable a LOT of shelter building
Not to mention it makes it a lot easier to dig up root while also opening a lot of options for trapping.

I thought about carrying one in my bob but i decided against it because of weight/size and the fact that shovels are extremely common. You can find decent quality shovel and gardening tools literally at any old cabin, house, constructions site etc but its a lot harder to find a quality knife or hatchet.

But i have thought about one of these. Infinitely better then a digging stick and if you sharpen it and put it on a stick you have a decent spear.
>>
>>838289
I don't
>burying your shit
go kill yourself fucking faggot
>>
>>838951
Why would you say that?
>>
>>838714
>airbag
huh?
>>
>>838714
>Hell, I have a spare airbag pack too
elaborate
>>
>>839000
>>839009
Its an avalanche kit
>>
>>838951
u wot m8?
>>
>>838851

I've heard that from everybody, including the part about being a little embarrassed for liking something from CS. It sounds like they got this one very, very right.

One thing I've heard about that's a problem is the varnish on the handle. How's that been? I hear the best move is to sand the varnish off and replace it with boiled linseed oil.
>>
>>838947
>It won't work well as a hatchet if you actually use it as a shovel.

It's fine, you just have to sharpen it afterwards with a file or coarse-fine diamond plate.

Folding shovels are heavier and more prone to breaking. They're nearly flat anyway. Why worry about it if it's just sitting in the trunk?

>>838948

That's why you start off by having her dig. Have you even heard of planning ahead?

>>838617

I use one for backpacking but I'm strongly considering a Cold Steel shovel for my car.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (357KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
357KB, 1920x1080px
>>839048
>diamond plate
>>
>>838990
>>839028
i was saying i'm not one of those faggots that need to bury their feces like a fucking dog whenever i do it
>>
File: KLAS.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
KLAS.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
>>839048
>Folding shovels are heavier and more prone to breaking
Heavy? yep.
Prone to breaking? Maybe the cheap ones. I got a Swedish milsurp that was designed to be used and abused by conscripts and its solid and as hell and probably twice as old as me. The folding mechanic is good because it makes it double as hoe.

>They're nearly flat anyway. Why worry about it if it's just sitting in the trunk?
I don't, its just something i got for free. If i had to hike with a shovel i think i would pick the cold steel one posted in the thread. Never used on personally but a well respected youtubers likes it.
>>
>>839052
>not burying your poop
>thinking dogs bury their poop
You are all kinds of wrong
>>
>>839043
Lol yeah, youre right with that. Fresh fro the factory its a little slippery. Take some #200 sand paper (or whatever you got around) and rough her up.

You made me kek because the thing with being embarrassed is so stereotypical for cs stuff. I guess its their videos and the attitude of their CEO

Well and lurki g /k/ for so amny years that the phrase "I own this and that from cold steel" never goes without a mumbled "sorry" .
>>
>>839052
>Jeez bro, whats that disgusting smell?
> I DROPPED A MOTHERFUCKING DEUCE YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT?
>>
>>839110
you're in fucking nature dude, don't like the smell move a few feet and the next day that stool will be gone
>>
>>839068
I was issued one in the service.

Switched over to a Soviet one, non-folding. The angle on the Swede makes it useless for chopping, and it's twice as heavy. Not terrible for digging, though the blade is too big for a handle that short.
>>
>>839190
>the next day that stool will be gone
this is wrong
some places /out/ your shit will be there for decades
and you are not the only person on the planet
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rmpeTkfBzs
>>
>>839256
animals shit in nature too like that
>>
>>839203
>The angle on the Swede makes it useless for chopping
Its easy to make it straight
>and it's twice as heavy.
Yep, that is a problem. Good car shovel though, especially with the snow blade. Works good for a base if you need to jack up a car in soft terrain.
>>
File: tactical shovel.webm (3MB, 414x286px) Image search: [Google]
tactical shovel.webm
3MB, 414x286px
>>839265
aw shit, i got that webm.
Dumping now.
1/3
>>
File: tactical shovel2.webm (3MB, 414x286px) Image search: [Google]
tactical shovel2.webm
3MB, 414x286px
>>839681
2/3
>>
File: tactical shovel3.webm (3MB, 414x286px) Image search: [Google]
tactical shovel3.webm
3MB, 414x286px
>>839682
3/3
>>
File: ETs.png (484KB, 632x772px) Image search: [Google]
ETs.png
484KB, 632x772px
>>839680
Nah, I mean the fact that, holding it sideways, blade is at an angle to the handle - you end up hitting whatever you're hitting with a slightly tilted edge. I've chopped through roots with both the soviet and the Swede, the Soviet is far superior (provide the quality of the steel is good). The Swede basically just jumps off the root with a horrifying ringing noise.

See pic related for what I mean.

The NATO tool is better than the Swede, but the joints are quite prone to jam with sand (and thus become a non-folding tool), and the triangular handle likewise inhibits chopping.
>>
>>839725
Alright.

Yeah, its pretty bad for anything besides digging and its also to heavy to hike with.
>>
>>839760
That it is.

Tbh, all Swedish 60s-70s gear is heavy, and not even very good for how heavy it is.

Goes for the mess kit, the 30L ruck and everything else.
>>
>>839600
animal shit is not as bad a human shit
there are diseases you can get from human shit that you can't get from animal shit

if you want to shit on the ground and not bury it, please move to India where this sort of thing is acceptable
>>
>>839681
>>839682
>>839683
So this chinkshit actually any good, or is it all propaganda for some cheap knockoff?
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.