[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alaskan Wilderness Survival

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

File: alaska.jpg (50KB, 534x401px) Image search: [Google]
alaska.jpg
50KB, 534x401px
Sup /out/
I'm gonna go to survive in the Alaskan wilderness to survive for 40 days this spring. I'm packing bare minimum, so only a rifle, knife, fire starter, and water bottle.
Any suggestions? Any other items i should consider?
>>
A pot, you can't go without a container to cook in, boil water, you know. Get a pot.
>>
>>837976
any suggestions on picking a rifle and caliber
>>
youre not going to last more than a week because of the mosquitoes
>>
>>837972
>I'm gonna go to survive in the Alaskan wilderness to survive for 40 days this spring
>survive
>survive
Details or you are full of shit
>>
Dont eat roots
>>
If you can even figure out what you need before you go you wont survive or last longer then a week.
>>
>>837984
I'm coming here for advice, my plan is completely flexible
>>
>>837987
can't**
>>
>>837987
i need advice, any help?
>>
>>837992
Ya figure out what you need. Being 100% honest and truthful when I say this but if you can't figure out what you need to actually live day to day in the bush then you wont do so well.
>>
>>837993
answer the question. I'm coming to you guys fir advice and you just say i wont do well
>>
>>837997
that is my advice. Go practice and learn what you actually need.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I live in Alaska, pic related. I'd bring some suntan oil, sunglasses, lots of water to stay hydrated, and be sure to bring a bathing suit.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>838060
Also if you're going to set up a camp I'd do it up past the 2000 foot level, it's a little cooler. That's where I go to cool off.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>838061
Or I guess you could camp next to the ocean, it's cooler there also, your call. If you do go by the ocean bring a fishing pole and some beer. We usually use a lure made by Blue Fox called a Pixie. If you need a fishing pole I'd get a Shakespeare/Ugly Stik combo. They are only about 50$ but believe it or not are real good. I've had one for years.
>>
>>837972
see
>>837983

I lasted 2 weeks and I wasn't even in survival mode. Bug repellents don't work out there. At leat the ones I used didn't work. They work elsewhere, but not up there for some reason. Even putting lots of mud on my bare skin didn't work that well.

People who live there don't have the same problem though. It's a tourist thing, like turista in Mexico. My cousin was barely bitten while I looked like some weirdo hunchback with leprosy.

Even mosquito nets and net clothing don't work as much as in other places I've been. The fuckers were able to get trough pretty easily. Must be some kind of bloodsucking magic or something.
>>
If you have to ask what else you need
You
Are
Going
To
Die
>>
You won't need that rifle
>>
>>837972
Have fun dying.
>>
>>837972
Food. What are you going to eat bro? Are you gunna stuff 120 MREs up your asshole? Do you have any survival experience? Can you start a fire? Build shelter? Who's going to come save your ass if you fall and break your leg? Going out into the woods and fucking around for a week is one thing. But going out into the wilderness and taking care of yourself, that shit takes practice. I suggest you learn how to survive for smaller amounts of time, with someone experienced. Even then, never go out into the wilderness alone unless you're ready to die baby.
>>
>>837972
Thread theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oQdkU3wtEI&list=PL4751B5EA5A55206C
>>
Opie's gunna get ass blasted!
>>
Did you watch Into The Wild recently?
>>
>>839082
Or read the book?
>>
>>837978

I say 6.5x55 Swede or 30-06. The former is pretty good. Flat shooting and hard hitting. Sako or CZ for these rifles.

Bring a pistol too.
>>
Inb4 McCandless 2.0
>>
>>838063
beautiful pics
>>
>>837972
Step 1: Stop by /x/ real quick. Learn how to summon a spirit.

Step 2: Arrive at desired location with basic survival/summoning gear.

Step 3: Summon the spirit of Richard Proenneke. Ask him to impart his wisdom.

Step 4: Survive in the Alaskan wilderness.
>>
Make sure your will is in order.
>>
>>837978
>>839823
This would be a solid choice. A rifle chambered in those should be able to take any game you want to hunt, but for smaller game is a bit overkill. A .30-06 should be good defense against bear so maybe a .22lr handgun if you need to hunt squirrel or something small.
>>
>>837978
Barrett 50 cal.
>>
>>839846
This.

I did it and would recommend any newbie to do the same.
>>
>>838070
I reckon its because you smell different than most things in the area.
>>
>>841324
>40 days
>hunting big game
thefuck? you just gonna cut the sirloins out and leave the rest to rot you motherfucker?
>>
File: Into-the-wild.jpg (33KB, 300x442px) Image search: [Google]
Into-the-wild.jpg
33KB, 300x442px
>>837972
I've heard bear spray is more effective than a gun against bears. You also don't end up killing a bear like a faggot.

Hunting big game is retarded, at most maybe trap some rabbits and such. Fishing is probably your best bet for meat.
>>
>>844238
Why would I eat anything but the best parts? Ammo is not that expensive and there are animals everywhere. As an animal spirit kin I feel best when sharing with scaengers
>>
>>837978
I don't know if I would go rifle in Alaska

Hear me out.

Get yourself a Glock 20 10mm and pack extra 30rd magazines. 10mm will kill deer, bear, wolves(30 rounds will save your ass against a pack of them)

A rifle is nice but what happens if you get injured and need to defend yourself? What if your strong arm gets broken?

>REEeEEEE in 3...2...1...
>>
>>844620
Tbh I kinda agree with you if indeed 10mm out of a pistol length barrel will kill a bear.

But a rifle is so

A E S T H E T I C
E E
S S
T T
H H
E E
T T
I I
C C
>>
>>837983
I thought bugs were supposed to become less and less of a problem the further north you go?
>>
File: 1461971120752.jpg (67KB, 460x575px)
1461971120752.jpg
67KB, 460x575px
>>837978
lever action 30-30 or 45-70. heritage rough rider sa 22lr revolver. the revolver is super cheap and common. could prob find a used one easily for not much.
>>839840
Opie, dont pull a McCandless. bring a map and compass and make sure you know how to navigate the area. do your homework.
>>838070
mosquito net seems like a must. long term innawoods will drive you crazy if your losing a pint of blood a day and scratching like a druggie in withdrawal.

fishing gear would be nice. just for fun. it takes a way a little from full on bear grylls surviving but will be a nice way to pass the time. books too. bring camera to post pics when you get back. or so we can have gore video when a grizzly eats you alive. keep it ready.
>>
>>844709
Most things you think and "know" are made up bullshit my retarded friend.
>>
>>844620
As an Alaskan I can confidently say that a 10mm won't do shit to a big bear. It might piss him off, but that's all. Minimum handgun caliber for brown bear is a hot 44 magnum load. Some of the best choices for bear defense are 45-70, 300 win mag, or 12 gauge slugs.
>>
>>845380
You could have said that in a nicer way anon, you kind of hurt my feelings there and that's not nice.
>>
>>837978
Just get a shotgun. Slugs for bear defense and large game (don't try large game unless you are a very skilled and experienced hunter and are confident in food preservation), birdshot for small game. Also, Alaska is a giant place and has several distinct regions. Which one specifically are you going to?
>>
>CTRL+F whistle
>0 results

Not sure if I'm too late but I'd view this as essential giving it's life-saving potential to weight
>>
>>844620
Lol this fucker thinks he knows things.

OP I recommend you don't go on this suicide trip. Like holy shit you don't even know what firearm to bring and you're trying to minimalist survive in a harsh condition you're obviously not familiar with
>>
File: sarsaparilla.jpg (138KB, 350x351px) Image search: [Google]
sarsaparilla.jpg
138KB, 350x351px
>>837972
Go with at least .308 if not higher caliber. bring bear spray anyway. a few bic lighters are a great insurance policy and get some cotton balls dipped half in wax for days when its wet and hard to start a fire (might save your life). check when runoff starts and ends and plan on any rivers you cross being uncross-able during run off. A good up to date map is a good idea... Laminate it. one of those mosquito net hoodie things. Certainly some smaller fish hooks and some strong line.

>>845391
actually I agree with this choice

one last thing and I don't know if this is applicable to be honest but I'm in northern alberta and one plant that grows like crazy here is wild sarsaparilla (Aralia nudicaulis). It's a member of the ginseng family and both the berries and root can be used for food. Tends to grow in shady wooded areas and is very distinct due to having 3 branches with usually 3+2 leaves on each. Can give a bit of an energy boost but be careful about eating too much as I know ginseng can cause bleeding if you go overboard. This stuff isn't quit ginseng though. the berries are a dark purple. root is long and white with kind of a woody ringed part near the top. Good plant to know. natives used to use it to treat a lot of sickness. It was also used as the flavouring for root beer.
>>
>>837972
Where in AK?

In spring I suggest Admirality. The bears in that place easily have the worst demeanor in all of AK. Scrape your striker on your ferro rod, and hoot like an owl, to scare them off.

You'll come back with stories!
>>
>>845385
Anon I'm thinking about moving to Alaska when I finally finish my med program to work in a clinic/hospital looking at ketchikan maybe Juneau but idk yet.
What say you?
>>
>>837972
>no tent
>no sleeping bag
>no food
>No bear sling shit
>no water purifier
>no hatchet
>No 50 other things im too lazy to mention
Look faggot, if you actually wanted to do something like that, you would actually know what you were bringing. Sure, you can come to /out/ to get advice on brands or whether or not auxiliary items are necessary, but from the amount of info you gave, it looks like you just watched into the wild, took your moms credit card, and decided to go to alaska.
Also
>Mosquitoes
>getting a ride from the airport into the boonies
>people to bring with you
>A bunch of other shit im too lazy to mention
Seriously, fuck you man. I shouldent have even replied to this shit bait
>>
>>837972
RIP
Chris McCandles
>>
>>837978
If you want a lever gun, go 30-30 or 45-70. If you want a bolt gun, go 30-06 or .308. Also get a pistol, dont go any lower than .40S&W, I would personally opt for a 1911 in .45 ACP, or a Glock 21. Get a .22 revolver of some sort too, heritage rough riders are cheap and reliable, and .22 is very common. If you want a scope on your rifle(s) make sure you spend the money on it too. Finally, Bear Mace is a good first line of defense so consider that, and if the bastard keeps running at you, shoot him.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.