[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do foxes have an instinct to not eat toads? Because despite the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 20160810_201910.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160810_201910.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Do foxes have an instinct to not eat toads? Because despite the toads good camouflage, a foxes would eventually spot many toads, and they can easily catch them. And if they didn't have any such instinct, they would bite the toad and likely maim it. If every fox had to go through the learning process of experimenting with eating toads, a lot of toads would die or have their fitness lowered.

So maybe:

Lots of baby toads get eaten by foxes, and the adults that survive end up getting ignored.
>>
why would they eat toads when there are tastier things running around?
>>
>>834485
>why would a carniverous animal take advantage of a readily available food source that requires little energy investment to aquire?

I don't know...
>>
>>834491
I'm pretty sure toads are poisonous, or at least extremely foul tasting. They also piss and shit all over your mouth if you try to eat them alive. The one in my OP image has a white stripe running down its back, which seems like one of those "warning, I'd you eat me you will regret it" signs. The toad is also slow, makes fairly audible noise when across the forest floor, and lacks defenses such as teeth or claws, so it would make sense that its main defense is its inedibleness. Yet at the same time, the toad is very well camouflaged, so its foul taste is apparently not enough to protect it, unlike the skunk for example, whose foul Oder spray is so powerful that it can afford to have big white visible stripes that serve as a warning to predators, and it also walks around pretty brazenly, not seeming to be watching its surroundings very intently.
>>
>>834447
>>>/an/
>>>/sci/
>>
I like watching opossums run. They move at the same slow motion speed as their walk but their little legs are going super fast. They just are barely moving still. It's so cute and adorable. I hit a skunk once and it sprayed my vehicle as I did. Probably not by choice. It was at night and it was all black with no white that I could see in the half second before I realized it was walking in the road but I kid you not, that thing turned and looked at me and gave me a COME ON BITCH look right before it got it. Fearless. As for toads, it's bad luck to hurt/kill them. You get a curse put on you. Most animals probably don't want to be cursed which is why they don't eat them because that would be to kill them.
>>
>>834654
Only humans and other higher level beings can be cursed anon
>>
They have a natural aversion to it just like humans have a natural aversion to buzzing flies with bright yellow colours. If every fox had to go through the process of eating a poisonous frog to learn that he shouldn't eat frogs, there would be no foxes.
>>
>>834934
This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BRp7ezUqbI

This is because of snakes though, so probably it's mostly about the shape, but maybe also a bit the green color
>>
>>834938
To add, it's very unlikeable these cats ever got attacked by a snake, let alone a cucumber. Their fear for it is hard wired. Same goes probably for the toads
>>
>>834934
But toads have very good natural camouflage (at least the ones I'm referring to)
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.