[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bug out bag/get home bag

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 14

Can we have one of these threads going on? Lots of natural disasters happening in my country right now so I feel like it's a good time to think further into it.
>>
>>834044
Eh that's a lot of stuff anon, do you have a good first aid kit? lots of bandages is key
>>
>>834051
Picture is not mine.

If someone has useful infographics pls post them.
>>
> bob<ghb<good

My ranking.

'Course G.O.O.D. might take a station wagon (who has those anymore?), minivan or truck.
>>
People load these things up with so much retarded shit. Fuckin zip ties and paperclips and magnifying glasses... what scenario are they even imagining?

Want a good emergency kit? Carry some extra clothing so you don't freeze to death over night and a fucking lighter or two. Or how about a simple rain jacket?

Do you really think when you fall off a trail and break your leg, you're going to be running around building shelters and elaborate fires with your survival knife?

Or in an urban environment, what good is all that bush craft bullshit you carry going to do you?

Don't even get me started on the retards carrying their military looking gear around...
>>
>>834142
I agree with you on most shit, except for zip ties. Those things are super useful.
>>
>>834142
It all depends on your location, and what your scenario you're preparing in your mind for.

For me, I have stores of food at home, as well as water, fuel, solar set-up, radios, and over 500 batteries, as well as topographic maps of my area, foraging guides, and all sorts of stuff, a rifle with 5000 rounds, and a shotgun with 800 rounds. The bulk of what I own is probably considered "prepper" stuff. And I'm just fine with that. It's my hobby /in/ hobby.

My /out/ hobby is backpacking, and potentially my 3 day pack is always ready to go, minus food, water, and clothing. But I never consider my backpacking gear for a "BOB", and no part of my backpacking gear is included in my Get home bag.

I travel a lot for a living, all over the west coast of the U.S. almost always on planes. I keep a get home kit in my car (not in a bag) that has an emergency radio/HAM, food, water, clothing, and then realistic things to help me get home. Like A pair of hiking boots. A compact pair of bolt cutters, extra money, flashlights and batteries, blankets, and a ROAD map in case I need to use it. I keep a basic backpack in my car as well, so I don't look like a sperg lord if I end up having to hoof it.

If I were to toss my backpacking set-up in my trunk, and call it good, it would not only be foolish, it would also paint a giant target on me to come steal my shit if I really did end up having to walk home 130 miles from my airport to home.
>>
>>834044
The first thing you need is a destination. With a GHB, it's obvious. If you're bugging out, for whatever reason, make sure you know where you're going and how you're going to get there.

Everything in your bag is there to help you get to where you're going. Broadly speaking, a BO/GH bag needs to keep you fed, hydrated, sheltered, secure, and patched up for up to 72 hours while you're travelling. Tune your loadout to adjust for your particular circumstances.

Your bag will be very much like a weekend camping pack, with a few differences. The biggest one being, people don't typically go camping or hiking when they're sick or injured. Yet, you might have to bug out while you have the flu or a broken arm. Disasters don't happen when it's convenient. Plan accordingly.

Another thing to keep in mind is climate. Plan for the possibility that you might have to relocate in mid-winter. Plan accordingly.

I'm not going to dump a laundry list of what to pack, because I don't know your location or destination. You'd be the best judge of what you need, if you have doubts ask questions.
>>
>>834142
>>834148
Zip ties are definitely a must have. Not those flimsy little ones but the big ones that can be used as manacles. They don't weigh anything, don't take up much space.
Also. Most of my shit is military surplus. What's wrong with my milsurp? I'm familiar with it and it's good quality for cheap and usually camouflaged. (I'm army so I might be biased)
>>
>>834098
can't keep up with all thee acronyms you guys invent

I know what bob and ghb is but not good, this is getting ridiculous
>>
>>834142
I agree that some people put too many dumb things in them and that some good clothes are very important

but you on the other hand is oversimplifying things.

a bug out bags purpose is essentially to be prepared for the outdoors, and you're saying they shouldn't prepare, just bring a sweater and a lighter?
>>
>>834234
Good is Get Out Of Dodge. I suspect it falls onto the spectrum between BOB and INCH bags. Btw, INCH is I'm Never Coming Home.
>>
>>834319

Bob and good bags are the same like 90% of the time. Only difference is a bug out bag sounds autistic as fuck, while the other doesn't sound as bad.
>>
>>834387
Bug out bag is more commonly used.
Get out of dodge bag is just another way to say bug out.

Bob is superior. Bugging out is what you wind up doing either way otherwise you don't need a kit just to leave an area
>>
>>834387
question is if we call it a rabbit instead of a cat will it still taste good?

on subject, i call mine an emergency bag.
its just my camping bag but i remove my sleeping bags and add guns and ammo.

i keep.
Asorted snacks and food like things that keep well in the heat. sugar, coffee, tea snd a cook set.just enough for 2 or 3 days. more if i dont eat the 2500 kcal per day.

8x10 tarp.

water purification tablets, and a water bottle, durable and pva free.

A flask full of lighter fluid (clearly labled) a couple of lighters, and some ferrosium rod

my camping saw, knifee and hawk.

guerilla tape

my modular personal angling and food procurement system, i call it my fishing kit.

a couple of flashlights

mid size fak

extra clothes

some utility cordage and some paracord

about $301 in all denominations. $1 worth of change

of shit gets crazy and i need to skip town as in, leave the country with wife, i add $20k cash in 5 4k baggies and my CC gun plus 2 mags.

i wwz i contact my 4 man team and designate a meeting point, load up coms AR, shotty for the wife, all the ammo sidearm and plate carriers, machete, bucket of food in the car, and i keep the sleeping pads then.
>>
>>834419
Any pics of your gear?
>>
>>834750
Not him but I've got a few pics of mine. Some I've posted before but some of the gear has been updated and, as I'm southern hemisphere, I'm in winter right now so the kit os a bit differnt (heavier).

If there's interest I'll post some of the kit.
>>
>>834915
Dump them, anon.
>>
File: 20160426_000441.jpg (996KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160426_000441.jpg
996KB, 2048x1152px
>>834750
just my fak on my phone atm. i may take a few of my bag but in not pulling all that shit out. i can probably list all of the stuff if you are intetested
>>
Bump cuz shit thread so far
>>
>>834142
Are you posting using the wifi from your lakeside campsite? Fucking carcamper
>>
File: 100_2139.jpg (2MB, 3472x2604px) Image search: [Google]
100_2139.jpg
2MB, 3472x2604px
>>834965
Forgot about this one. Ok, here's my GHB that sits in my truck.
Deployment bag, map case and canteen.
>>
File: 100_2141.jpg (1MB, 3472x2604px) Image search: [Google]
100_2141.jpg
1MB, 3472x2604px
>>837290
Mapcase and canteen laid out.
Canteen pouch has water pufication tabs and a small pot scrubber. Also has a Bic mini in it now.
Rite in rain pad also has a flat magnifier in the back cover.
>>
File: 100_2142.jpg (2MB, 3472x2604px) Image search: [Google]
100_2142.jpg
2MB, 3472x2604px
>>837291
Deployment bag has a strap which can be used as a shoulder strap or waist belt. Folds up neatly so it doesn't snag.
Since taking this I've found that the sheath knife fits there as well and is much more accessible than having it in the main pouch where I had it previously.
>>
File: 100_2144.jpg (1MB, 3472x2604px) Image search: [Google]
100_2144.jpg
1MB, 3472x2604px
>>837293
Main and front pouches: (Top left to bottom right)
Enough food to live comfortably for a day. Flashlight that goes into tab in left front. Dry wool socks. Folding knife and ziplok bag. Sheath knife. Front pocket: Mak. Cleaning kit and mags. Headlamp Permanent market (Right tab)
>>
>>837294
Since moving the knife I've now got a poncho in the main pocket.

Left pocket: Compass, tinderbox, bag with matches, mini bic, matches, spare bootlace etc.
Right pocket: FAK, includes all you can see here including the space blanket.
>>
File: 100_2145.jpg (1MB, 3472x2604px) Image search: [Google]
100_2145.jpg
1MB, 3472x2604px
>>837296
Ok, all you see HERE. <sigh>
>>
>>837298
>>837294
>>837293
>>837291
>>837290
thanks lad
>>
>>837390
No worries. I might post some of Bob later if you like.
>>
>>837643
...waiting .... ....
>>
File: 100_2080.jpg (2MB, 2604x3472px) Image search: [Google]
100_2080.jpg
2MB, 2604x3472px
>>837834
Just a standard large ALICE. Vary compartmental pack, so I use it's strength in that regard to keep everything organised.
This shows it laid out,
Top flap pocket: Maps, spare plastic bags (from pack liner to sandwich ziplok sizes). Also has pack cover in there.
Top outer pockets (L>R) 1.Cold weather gear, 2.Light, 2.Miscellaneous.
Lower outer: 1. Personal hygiene, 2. Rat Pack, paracord, FAK. 3. Repairs and maintenance.
The hatchet slides into the tunnel behind lower 3. It's now got a cover that also ALICE clips to the pack at the same place.
>>
File: 100_2081.jpg (1MB, 3472x2604px) Image search: [Google]
100_2081.jpg
1MB, 3472x2604px
>>838046
>Vary = Very
Top view all loaded up. Inside is a Swedish cook set, a Basha made from an old IPK set and a couple of fibreglass poles that have been cut down and shock-corded together.
Also change of clothes and light sleeping bag (Summer) or MSS (Winter). To all that I can add 7 days of food and not be much over 20kg. Water is plentiful here so not much needed to be carried beyond the canteen in the GYB.
>>
>>838050
Any questions or requests for detail pics just ask.
>>
>>835036
I would like to see the list
>>
>>834199

I don't get it either, except maybe it's a general reaction against "teh may-mays".

You're using stuff you're familiar with? Cheap, widely available, sturdy, and reasonably effective? Sounds like a solid option to me.

Zip ties are excellent for all kinds of things, especially as a quick and dirty substitute for cordage lashing things together. Why not take them? Light and comparatively cheap and do the job. I classify them like I do duct tape as generic "improvising" gear.
>>
>>839056
>generic "improvising" gear.
Settle down there McGyver.
>>
>>839071
I've got zip ties and a magnifying glass. I guess I'll have to add some paperclips just to piss that fag off.
>>
>>835036
I'd like to see the list including the type of pack that is. Thanks!
>>
>>834199
People who dislike militaryish and tacticool gear when it comes to bobs usually have the grey man approach to shtf situations.
I have to say I agree with that to some extent, however I have a multipurpose backpack in my car which utilizes professional grade equipment while being able to blend to the mass.
If you need to get the fuck out the last thing you want to happen is you getting mugged/killed for your gear.

My multipurpose kit:
- Zip ties
- Small led flashlight, with spare batteries
- Fixed blade knife
- Wiha pliers and sidecutters
- Marker pen
- Spare set of clothes
- Third pair of socks
- Anti vipervenom drugs
- Peanuts
- 0,5l water
- Arm reflector
- Phone battery bank
- 20€ in a zip pack
- If needed I could take the car medpack with me
All of this fits in a relatively incognito bag.
>>
>>834044
I need a get home back for my vehicles that is water proof and can fit behind the seat of a truck.
I live in central Virginia.
$40 budget for each. Go.
>>
>>834142
Zip ties are a great thing to have if it's the bag you keep in your car. Between zip ties, duct tape, vise grips and a skrewdriver you can fix almost anything.
>>
>>839898
do your own research into this, lazy piece of shit
>>
>>839910
I have a pocket size folding set of alan wrenches I keep handly too. Its mainly for adjusting shit on my bike, but you never know when it'll be useful.
>>
>>839898
Just for the bag? I think all three of these cost me about that. >>837290
>>
>>834238
>a bug out bags purpose is essentially to be prepared for the outdoors

Have you ever wondered why the bugout bags that post here look so different than the bags of people that actually go out hiking and living in the woods?
>>
>>840805
No I haven't. A bug out bag is different from a hiking pack because it's more survival oriented. BoBs are also pack to deal with unexpected situations, while hiking packs are usually assembled for something specific.

And people who plan to live in the woods don't pack the same things that hikers do.

Also, you shouldn't judge bug out bags as a concept based purely on the examples ITT. There are also very few bags actually posted ITT.
There are some very realistic BoBs out there, if you look beyond /out/.
>>
File: WP_20151012_005~2~2.jpg (513KB, 1632x916px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151012_005~2~2.jpg
513KB, 1632x916px
Old picture of my "drive car into the wilderness and live there forever kit"
>>
>>838046
FINALLY SOMEONE WITH A HANDAXT

Holyfuck I waited ages to see this....

Fuck big knifes...
Sissors, Axt, mora
>>
>>841359
How well do those butane stoves work? I've thought about getting one, since the butane cans are cheaper than the isobutane cans, at least where I live.

On that note, Does anyone know of a propane stove that runs off the coleman bottles but doesn't sit directly on top of the bottle? I used to use one of those while camping, but don't like how high the center of gravity is.
>>
File: 14720066903341343528167.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
14720066903341343528167.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>839595
emt scissors
moleskin
sutures
small forceps
several rolls of sterile gauze (i keep a bunch more in my pack.
2oz of iodine
Amonia inhalant like 3 or 4 packs
one roll of elatic wrap. one large roll of self adhesive tape (sports tape)
boo boo kit asorted bandaids and stuff
burn gel x4

dramamine, allergies
500mg paracetamol
cipro
Ibuprofen
acetaminophen
anti diarrhea
soft! laxatives
anti acids
oscillococcinum (hoodoo)
2 or 3 oz of eye wash in those awesome ampoules? whatever they are called.
a sharpie
eye lubricant
1 or 3 condoms.
some of those press thermometers
a bunch of katadin tablets
3 or 4 wet fire tinder
a lighter
alcohol swabs.

the bag is an admin pouch with molle webbing and a bunch of velcro up front. its made by condor and i bought it at a surplus place because its way better than those square big ass fak pouches, bought the latch separately and it came with a dry bag for a map
>>
>>844067
no latch, patch*
>>
>>843612
I'll get a pic with the axe cover on it and
post tomorrow.
Very handy for chopping and pummelling.
>>
>>834142
Here we have a textbook example of >guaranteed replies

Let's take a closer look at each element included to guarantee plenty of (You)s.

1. Hiding in plain sight.
>Include some reasonable information, to give your post a flavor of credibility. This will prevent your post from being recognized as the obvious troll that it is, and keep it out of 'shitposting' territory, since shitposts are usually ignored.

2. We didn't start the flame war.
>Plenty of inflammatory language. Express derision in a concise manner to set an argumentative tone. Don't go overboard, lest you sound like a 'wailing retard' and end up ignored.

3. What are you, stupid?
>Use rhetorical questions. Give anons lots of opportunity to answer rhetorical questions raised in your post. Every idiot thinks theyre an expert, and is happy to try and answer your questions.

4. The key to success.
>Make a broad critique of a general practice. When continuing your derogatory exposition, include some specific examples to support your position. When choosing your examples, throw in one or two things that are actually good. To readers, it appears as if you have foolishly denounced a truly useful item! This guarantees replies, because anons can't help but tell people they are wrong AND you have disguised your bait as authentic ignorance; anons will jump on the opportunity to correct your mistake!

Follow these steps to guarantee replies to your troll posts and collect (You)s!
>>
silly preppers
>>
kek silly preppers
>>
>>834419
>the wife doesn't have her own set up
>the wife doesn't carry a rifle as well
I suppose as long as you've been over your plans with her and made sure she understands them, that's better than most.
>>
>>844067
why condoms?
>>
>>846917
Don't you know, Senpai? Part of his post apocalyptic fantasy is saving a kpop singer from evil people, and she'll owe her life and body to return the favor!
>>
>>846917
So during the zombie apocalypse he can fuck qt zombies without catching crotch rot.
>>
>>846917
Keeping a lighter in a condom is actually a useful dry method that goes back to WWII.
>>
File: il_fullxfull.362951739_j31d.jpg (180KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.362951739_j31d.jpg
180KB, 1000x750px
No matter how much you hate stuff, you are going to love ziplock bags because they are surprisingly handy in rainy/wet conditions.
>>
>>835036
i dont like bags with these elastic bands, they get tired and loose like vaginas. my next medkit is going to be a tacklebox or tool box
>>
>>847266
Condoms are more durable senpai
>>
>>835036
>condoms
>>
>>847266
>ziplock bags
this
I segregate all my gear in ziplocs... shit stays dry and together that way.
>ziploc for mule tape and carabiners
>ziploc for first aid stuff
>ziploc for flares
>ziploc for lighters
>ziploc for snacks
>ziploc for extra socks
>ziploc for spare batteries
>>
>>847733

You're retarded. If it starts raining and shit, you think I rather put my phone and other goodies into a condom or a zip lock bag?
>>
File: why-not-both.gif (943KB, 398x223px) Image search: [Google]
why-not-both.gif
943KB, 398x223px
>>847758
>>
>>841359
ditch that stove.... waaaaay too big and heavy
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.