[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bivvy Fags?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: bivvy3.jpg (412KB, 782x519px) Image search: [Google]
bivvy3.jpg
412KB, 782x519px
Anyone here have any experience with a bivvy bag in the UK?

I'm looking at buying one so I can watch the Perseids this weekend.

I'll have some more questions if I get any replies.
>>
Bump
I'm looking at getting an OR Alpine bivvy, also curious about them
>>
>>833847
Is a tent really that much of a hassle?
You could at least go for a hammock
>>
File: BagBagBagBag.jpg (46KB, 584x410px) Image search: [Google]
BagBagBagBag.jpg
46KB, 584x410px
>>833847
>>834050
Own two. One's the USGI modular system bivy(pic related), one's the OR Alpine. Have more experience w/ the OR. AMA

For the record, I also have two tents but most frequently use a tarp.
>>
>>833847
I've posted in bivy threads before.

I own a BD Bipod bivy.

Basics of using a bivy:

- Condensation will almost always be an issue. After about 5 days even in fair weather my sleeping bag noticeably loses warmth due to moisture.
- Getting in/out during precipitation will be an issue.
- Changing clothes / putting on/off rain gear will be an issue.
- Some bivy sacks are too skinny to allow thicker sleeping bags to loft property (my -40 cannot loft properly in the BD Bipod)
- Some bivy sacks are too skinny to fit an inflatable pad inside the bivy (my Thermarest NeoAir XTherm is too thick to fit inside and still have reasonable space for me+bag loft, even my -7C bag).
- Some bivy sacks have tapered foot sections which will again reduce sleeping bag loft - BD Bipod suffers from this problem. A bivy should properly have a boxed foot to allow your bag to loft around your feet for warmth.
- No space for gear storage, if needed.
- Cramped if you need/want to wait out inclement weather.
+ Basically impervious to wind
+ Lighter than a tent
+ Smaller to pack than a tent
+ Faster to setup than a tent or tarp
+ Small footprint, easy to select camp site
+ Free standing, no need for pegs, ropes, or guylines - can camp on hard ground without trees etc.

In my view the list of cons is much longer than the pros, HOWEVER I still think bivy sacks are useful have their place. I will be taking my bivvy on my next trip at the end of the month which will be 14 days straight backcountry. Most important to me on this trip is weight, packsize, and the ability to set up camp virtually anywhere.
>>
>>833847
Alpkit XL is decent, surplus MOD goretex one is also decent.

>>834056
mate, fuck off, this is a thread about bivvy bags. OP obviously wants suggestions within his parameters not some cunt anon second questioning his methodology
>>
>>834056
>You could at least go for a hammock
Which will be more hassle than a fucking tent, you complete dildo

>>834083
The OR Alpine looks amazing but unfortunately is a bit out of my price range. After a quick look it also appears difficult to get them in the UK.

>>834103
Thanks, you've answered most of the questions I had in mind. Changing clothes and getting in when it's pissing down was one of my main concerns. With the amount of rain we get in the UK, this is my biggest issue.

I will however mostly be using it on Dartmoor so there is lot's of sheltered Tors I could sleep under.

>>834357
Is that the Alpkit Hunka you're referring too? It looks OK and is a decent price.
>>
>>833847
Bivvy Sacks are stupid. If someone or something attacks you, you're fucked. You have to keep your gear outside, which means someone can steal it effortlessly.
>>
>>834401
A winning combo for me has been using the bivy with a poncho-tarp. A lot of flexibility, ease of use and multiple uses for each piece.
>>
>>834477
>being this paranoid
>>
>>834401
Yes the Hunka. Have heard that the XL is the one to get as the other is too small.

>>834477
You're stupid. And America no doubt with you're personal safety concerns.

Put your rucksack on the bottom of bivvy, under your legs, or behind your head as a windbreak.

Personally I'm not huge on bivvy due to moisture - and imo you're just risking trouble using a down bag with one.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.