[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on living self-sufficiently and going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 29

File: 1413758017803.jpg (46KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1413758017803.jpg
46KB, 500x375px
What are your thoughts on living self-sufficiently and going off the grid?
>>
easier said than done
>>
Pretty much impossible for a single person. For a group of people, 5-10, it's just really hard.
>>
Going entirely off grid permanently is fucking rough for one person.
You can do it if you have a vehicle that you can go get supplies in. I have a friend who lives in a 200 sqft home off grid but is by no means self sufficient, takes showers at the fire station, drives 20 miles for wifi and basically does what anyone does in a city, just lives in a box outside of it.
Don't get me wrong, it's a lifestyle that can certainly be enjoyed but if you're thinking of "homesteading" it, think harder about what it takes.
>>
>>833499
And yet I've done it for three years

> protip its easier ever year
> protip II lectric is a drug
> once you have it you want more
>>
Sounds nice from the cozyness of a king size bed writing on a tablet. Is much much harder in reality.
>>
>>833793
Who the fuck are you?
>>
>>834156
Your worst nightmare
>>
>>834149
Damn that's half the size of my cabin.

Solar setup (panels/battery's/inverter) is around $5k for a normal house size setup.

Well drilling is around $4,500
Septic is about $2,500
Building a cabin from scratch is rough, but a travel trailer or mobile home or prefab cabin is always an option.

Used trailer you could get for anywhere from $50-$100,000

Used mobile home you can sometims get for free if you pay to move it.

Prefab cabin will run $8,000++

If you just put up a 10'x20' shed and try to live, you'll be unibomber status in 6 months.

Theres a big difference between being a loner/hermit with satellite TV and internet, microwaving hot pockets and having cold Pepsi in the fridge vs someone living in a cardboard box that might as well be behind Walmart.

BTW, I live in a cabin innawoods on 30 acres- there was nothing here when I bought the property besides trees.
>>
>>834180
You're going to have to start dumping pics if that's the case. No one is going to believe you until you do.

And if by chance we're wrong, and this is your lifestyle, you should revel in your glory, as contender for a spot on the /out/ kings list.
>>
File: IMG_20160811_125951.jpg (487KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160811_125951.jpg
487KB, 2560x1440px
>>834182
I've posted in a few threads already.
Theres a /out/ poster who has me beat by a wide margin.
Hes in like ND or Wyoming or some thing (wish I could remember).

He had a thread up after a storm came through- he spent a couple days checking on neighbors and just trying to get into town.

I'm in a very rural area and surrounded by old growth forest, but its not like I'm 100 miles from another soul.
I got very lucky and am near a power line so I didn't need the solar setup (I just researched a lot of stuff so I've seen the cost on them) I could have just as easily bought another piece of land around here and would have had to spend $20,000 to get it ran to my property.

Pic is my home.
>>
File: IMG_20160811_130500.jpg (629KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160811_130500.jpg
629KB, 2560x1440px
>>834360
View from my porch looking the opposite direction of last pic. Both pics taken within last 5 minutes (sorry first one is dark, crappy tablet).
My main visitors are hummingbirds this year, theres about 20 out here right now.
>>
>>834180
My point about "damn that's half the size of my cabin" is that even with just me I find my place a little confining at times.
It can be frustrating to live when your bedroom is also your living room and also your kitchen.

If anybody else really does this, get as big of a cabin/trailer whatever as you can.

I suggest filling a cooler with some stuff, taking it, an air mattress and a microwave into your bathroom and spend the weekend there- you'll understand then.
>>
>>833493
if you can find a place in the continental united states that lets you go off the grid that aren't indian reservations, pls let me know.

I have been slowly building a cabin on 15 acres of woods I own and recently got served a notice that if I intend to build a domocile it must be connected to the electric system and sibmit to an inspection. thank god they atleast allow me my well and septic tank.

and no matter what, your ass is still gonna pay property tax. you will be in the system.
>>
>>834385
>Nevada
>Wyoming
>both Dakotas
>Georgia
>Texas
>Arizona
>new Mexico
>Colorado
Those are States that I personally know you can be off the grid.
It's not the state you're having issues with (unless you're in a state like commiefornia)
It's the county.
>>
>>834461
my property is in texas and I have lived in new mexico. the county forces any domicile ti be connected to the power grid if feasable in both states. they both have tax laws that put you on the grid, intel wise. and texas is where I just got served my inspection notice. on a fucking log cabin I am building from my own god damned trees.

you are wrong
>>
>>834363
post pic of hummingbirds.
>>
File: IMG_20160811_191121.jpg (606KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160811_191121.jpg
606KB, 2560x1440px
>>834464
Like you said "if feasable".
If you had a different piece of property and could prove financial hardship to bring in electricity, you wouldn't have to get it.
I'm guessing you just happen to be close to the power distribution line.

As for taxes, ya- no way to avoid that unless you're illegal.

A guy in my county had electricity for decades at his family home.
He set up solar without telling the power company- his meter started going backwards and they got pissed and came out and disconnected him...

>>834465
They're not easy to get a good closeup of.
This is either a female or a juvenile (no ruby throat).
I have a lot of feeders so I think most of my breeding pairs did double clutches this year because I have dozens of juveniles right now.
>>
>>834570
Oh forgot.
My county you don't have to be on electric grid or have running water, but you do have to have a septic system...
>>
File: PANO_20160811_200224.jpg (532KB, 2144x464px) Image search: [Google]
PANO_20160811_200224.jpg
532KB, 2144x464px
I took some panarama pics tonight..
Not the center of my property but kind of the best spot I could find considering trees and elevation changes.
If you can find the vehicles, cabin is just to the left of them, sorry its shit quality, cheap tablet.

3 pics, you can match trees on the edges to line them up.
>>
File: PANO_20160811_200204.jpg (531KB, 2112x456px) Image search: [Google]
PANO_20160811_200204.jpg
531KB, 2112x456px
>>834623
2/3
>>
File: PANO_20160811_200145.jpg (550KB, 2136x464px) Image search: [Google]
PANO_20160811_200145.jpg
550KB, 2136x464px
>>834626
3/3
>>
>>834170
> with a dirty vag

Got it.
>>
Some straight up retarded info in this thread. Do you guys just make up random shit when you don't know what you are talking about?

My parents live off grid in Northern California. Their whole setup was ~$150k with land. 1200 sqft cabin and detached garage, solar + generator + big battery array (bought used from phone company, some people use golf cart batteries), propane fridge, wood stove for heat, water treated from a creek. They live better than most people live in civilization, satellite TV + internet, all the cooking equipment, etc. It's really not very hard to do at all.
>>
>>834180
How much did you get your land for? What was your total cost to start living in your land? How are you earning income to maintain life expenses?
>>
>>834788
>$150k
>says thread is retarded info.

I hope you're not talking about my posts, otherwise I'll keep this thread alive for 3 months proving you wrong.

If I had $150,000- I'd be doing blow off a hookers ass in a penthouse suite at the venetician in las Vegas.

Oh wait, I already did that.

And now I'm innawoods (cause I'm broke and hate people) and this thread is legit.
Literally 3 people with factual experiences, a couple with questions, plus you.

>dude with hermit friend living shittily
>dude in shitty county that wants his money
>dude in shitty cabin posting pics

So please tell us gifted one, what is bullshit?

Oh, you only heard from your folks that spent $150k that its no big deal?

Do you have any experience with setting up any of this?
Did you or mommy and daddy clear that land?
Did you level the house pad?
Did you even carve the driveway into the landscape?

I'm going to switch to cellphone just to post some pics of what it really takes to do this.
Douche.
>>
>>834834
Ignore any typos, going to cell phone with retarded screen.
>>
File: Yowie-1-2.jpg (986KB, 1862x3057px) Image search: [Google]
Yowie-1-2.jpg
986KB, 1862x3057px
>>833493
That ausbro did it with 20k in a really remote area. Of course nobody's heard from him in months so he's probably been eaten alive by yowies and bunyips.
>>
File: IMG_20151211_133925839.jpg (4MB, 5344x3006px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151211_133925839.jpg
4MB, 5344x3006px
>>834834
Property itself waslike $1,200 an acre. Was forest, someone bought to log, then sold cheap (law says they have to replant for logging, but not if it changes hands). For.living here:
>Well was $4,500
>septic: $2,250
>electricity $900 (was close to power distribution line)
>cabin: $8,000+ and climbing.
Cabin shell was easy, was an empty shell of 2x4%s and I had to build like a regular house. Bathroom is the most expensive part, damn tiles and concrete board gets expebsive. Kitchen was easy.
>>
> i bought 40 acres in az for $200/ea

I've been at this awhile po' fags.
>>
>>834847
>I can drill a random spot and hit water in 50 feet...

Checkmate
>>
>>834847
>>834848
Friend had some gorgeous acreage waaàyyyyy outside of Vegas.
Well company said:
>we might hit water at 2,500 feet, but theres no guarantee.
>we can try again, but you have to pay,, again...
>>
>>834851
>>we might hit water at 2,500 feet, but theres no guarantee.
how much would that cost?
>>
>>834857
My 250 feet (hit water at 40, 150 is standard, 250 is good in a drought in my area) was $4,500.
That included pump and compression tank.

But you still have to figure that 2,500 feet (*if water) is a $25,000 bill.
That's pretty harsh for a dry well.

I bought out my neighbor because he can't put in a septic system ( he floods out in the rainy season).
Would have cost him $20,000 to put in septic.
Also would have cost him $4,000+ for electricity.

>what's the 3 Most important things for a business?

>>833493
Will do it when I can afford it
>>
>>834843
Not funny man.
I broke my phone and a week later my buddy rolled into my place with his 9mm expecting to find coyotes chewing on my corpse (he thinks im a hermit, he doest know I have internet friends)
>>
>>834866
can you elaborate on your living situation?
>>
>>834848
> veiws
>50 mile views

Checkmate.
Hater.
>>
>>834363
I have the same cabin in my woods. I don't live in it....yet.
>>
>>834836
Oh, so it's another "MGTOW I'm sick of society I'm going to run away from home!" thread, not a thread about actually living off grid, I see. $150k is not a lot of money. If you were an adult you would know buying $150k in property and housing materials doesn't mean you put that money down outright in cash one day. Yes my family built the entire house from digging the septic tank to shingling the roof. Nobody in this thread has any relevant experience, just typical /r9k/ tier whining

>but it's illegal to not tie to the grid! guess I'll just stay living with my parents forever, oh well dream finished

Try this guys, go outside (I know this is a tough proposition), locate your main panel. See those little black rocker switches on the top of the panel on either side? Switch them off. Congratulations you are now off grid.
>>
>>835013

who mentioned MGTOW here? dont drag them out every time your feelings get hurt. how have they become the official /out/ punching bag?
>>
What would you guys do on a third of an acre with a 300sqft cabin? I've got a couple dogs so I was thinking a few chickens, and herb garden and maybe some tubers. Solar panels, rain barrels, and possibly a hydroponics system. I'm probably gonna purchase the next door lot (1 acre) in a decade or so.
>>
>>835027
greenhouse with aquaponics
>>
>>834847
Can you post more about your experience? I live in az and there's some ridiculously cheap land around here, I was thinking of purchasing some and doing the same thing
>>
>>835025
/out/ got filled with leftist teenage shitbags straight from reddit almost since day one. for months you couldn't even post any firearm related thread because they would report it until it gets deleted.
>>
>>834385
There is an exemption in PA for a Recreational Cabin that is not a primary residence.
>>
>>835025
Feminists and mangina's hate MGTOW because they want everyone to suffer like they do
>>
>>835049
didnt we run them off ?
>>
>>835025
Don't you realize that it's all the same thing? MGTOW, I'm gonna be homeless, I'm going on a huge through hike to escape life, let's start a commune, etc. Here's the best way to sum it up

>society can't reject me, I reject society!

Though they may have convinced themselves they don't want to be a part of society, the fact is it's the opposite, they are so dependent on it that when it isn't going their way rather than making small adjustments they need to completely do a 180. This is the wrong reason to take on something like off grid living and of course nobody with that mindset will actually do it successfully.
>>
>>835183
mgtow dont want to be homeless anon, they just dont want to get married.
many want to have big careers and lots of money.
You should read up on the movement
>>
>>835013
Sure dude.
Not like I was married.
Didn't have my child die.
Wasn't injured in the line of duty.

You really shouldn't judge people you don't know.
>>
>>835030
Is that probably the best I can do with such little land?
>>
File: DSC_5896.jpg (306KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_5896.jpg
306KB, 1024x685px
>>834962
50 miles is it? Guess it is enough for some.

View from my gridless front porch.
>>
>>834890
Like what exactly?
My cabin is like the size of a studio apartment.
So it's cozy, but small.
My job is about 30 miles away.
I'm surprised when I see 3 other vehicles on the road (damn rush hour traffic) so it takes less than a half hour to get to town.
Buddy came over today, we set up some targets and played with some rifles.
Most of the day was spent dialing in new scope on the .243.
I can sit on my porch all day and watch hummingbirds if I want.
A garage is next on my build list, then I can get back into restoring this '66 ford (just to hot right now to do it out in the sun).
>>
>>834154
if you're off the grid how do you have internet

personally i think I'd like to do a couple months as a firewatcher or something like that but I don't know if I could live like that
>>
>>835302
Gorgeous view. I am J. Ellis.
>>
I'm building a little 600sqft 2 story that will be grid tied but not grid reliant in the Ozark national forest
>>
>>835363
Not the guy you were asking, bit I'm in a cabin innawoods.
Satellite internet is cheap nowadays.
I'm actually using cellular.
Weird thing, I get 4g LTE in my cabin, in "town" its actually difficult to get ANY signal- If I'm lucky I can get 1x and make a call, but that's like 50/50 chance.
>>
File: DSC_6030.jpg (245KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_6030.jpg
245KB, 1024x768px
>>835383
Thanks. The big peak is Denali, I am about 60 miles away.

The air is usually clearer in the winter...less moisture I guess...and I can see further down the mountain range and better detail.
>>
>>834360
The guy you're talking about lives in Maine.
>>
>>835426
Ahh cool thanks. Hopefully I remember this time.
He had some gnarly pics, I wonder if his roads are manageable yet or if he's still atv'n it.
>>
>>835404
I'm jealous of the snowboarding in the front yard.
But grateful I can walk around in shorts most of the year.

That was one awesome thing about living in las Vegas.
Desert weather but can go for a 45 minute drive up to the ski resort at my Charleston.
Even if it was the cheasiest ski lodge I've ever been to, it was there...
>>
File: DSC_6029.jpg (186KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_6029.jpg
186KB, 1024x768px
>>835440
I don't snowboard but I do enjoy the winters here. I usually work most of them and my job keeps me away from home for months at a time, but I get to enjoy the first few weeks of snow.
>>
>>834863
>Would have cost him $20,000 to put in septic.
What did you do until you had septic? An outhouse? What are outhouse laws?
>>
>>835742
>that pic
my dic
>>
File: Comfy pepe Christmas.gif (342KB, 666x386px) Image search: [Google]
Comfy pepe Christmas.gif
342KB, 666x386px
>>835742

More please.
>>
>>835928
I was living with an army buddy another town over before I got my septic. Mine only cost $2,250 because I have good drainage and was well within standard requirements.

Neighbor was screwed because his property floods out in the rainy season (hes lower and flat, I'm on a hill). So he would have had to have new dirt brought in and his terrain changed, along with multiple test samples and actual soil engineering done.

There are actual outhouse laws here, has to be a hole to a certain depth, certain distance from other buildings- bunch of stuff- but for the cost you might as well just build a septic system.
You can even take a class to get certified to install a system by yourself on your own property. But in the long run it was just easier and cheaper to hire someone (they already had a backhoe, they build their own tanks, they get a better price on the leech field components).
My soil is pretty hard clay. In the dry season you can't dig a hole with a shovel- and septic size minimum by law is 1,250 gallons- so not a small hole.
>>
It will take some time but I was actually thinking of "building" an electric van with solar panels, shower, and all necessary commodities, The thought of getting robbed is the only problem though.
>>
>>836008
>Someone might rob me if I make an effort, better just continue being a faggot
>>
>>836052
No, what I mean is that the solar panels on the roof can't be hidden and draw a lot of attention, also the process of converting a normal vehicle into electric is very difficult.
I just can't believe how people think of the "dirty hippie" stereotype when you tell them about van living when you can live better than in an apartment.
>>
Getting a camper trailer for $6,000 soon, looking at this land atm http://www.landwatch.com/Logan-County-Oklahoma-Land-for-sale/pid/296131244 looked more heavily wooded in person
>>
>>833493

I hate my job, my wife and how shitty my life is.

If I could abandon all this and live by myself deep innawoods I would do so in a heartbeat.

I just can't abandon them. I'm stuck.
>>
>>836115
If you don't have kids and feel that way you need to get the fuck out and fast.
>>
>>836115
>>836137
Running away from your problems instead of actually addressing them works great, definitely go for it
>>
>>836063
>Living in a cardboard box under the overpass is far better than owning a house because it's luxury
>All the cool trannies are doing it
>Don't you want AIDS now to show how brave you are
>>
>>836114
Honestly 10 acres is the break point where you can feel secluded.
Plus land is like a drug, I need more.

That oklahoma lot might seem huge when the neighboring lots are empty, but imagine other people putting a house, cabin, trailer on each lot that surrounds you.

Then imagine one has an annoying coon hound that never shuts up. Other lot has some lady always yelling at her kid at the top of her lungs.

My "next door neighbor" is about a mile away. I can hear his horse. If he's outside I can sometimes hear him and his daughter yelling back and forth when they're working their cattle field.
>>
>>836175
Hmm, good point, I am however very poor and have zero credit
>>
>>836224
>owner financed
>zero down
>no credit check
Send us $299 now and $170 a month and don't miss payments and its yours...
>>
>>836114
Found this in ooooo-klahoma
I want it.
http://www.landandfarm.com/property/Oklahoma_Pushmataha_County_14_24_Acre_Trophy_Ridge-2958101/

Its on a damn lake it looks like.
$20,000- owner financed.
14.24 acres.
Multiple clearings but heavy pine and hardwoods.

Catch: select boats.
>>
File: 2632679630.jpg (214KB, 629x420px) Image search: [Google]
2632679630.jpg
214KB, 629x420px
>>836298
>*captcha was select boats.

Stupid autocorrect.

If you buy this, I need these rocks for my pool area.
>>
>>835177
lol no
>>834107
>>
File: Long_spotter.jpg (597KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Long_spotter.jpg
597KB, 1024x768px
>>835934
Here is my spotting scope I use to watch the ridges around me during hunting season.
>>
File: Cubcrew.jpg (251KB, 1024x1010px) Image search: [Google]
Cubcrew.jpg
251KB, 1024x1010px
>>835934
And here is some bears as seen thru the scope.
>>
File: DSC_6194.jpg (616KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_6194.jpg
616KB, 1024x768px
>>835934
I get gasoline delivered via helicopter. 30 gallons at a time. Powers the snowmobile and chain saw mostly, but also have a gas generator.

Get propane too but it costs $$$ to have delivered versus gas. I cook on propane and have a propane fridge I never run. Should change it over to 12v as I have room on the solar system for more load.
>>
File: FirstBou.jpg (793KB, 1024x993px) Image search: [Google]
FirstBou.jpg
793KB, 1024x993px
>>835934
And the first caribou coming back through in the winter.

They constantly move around. There will be none for miles, then I'll start seeing a few here and there, then for a week or so there will be hundreds, then they disappear.

Crazy animals but good to eat. Love seeing them show back up since it means I get to eat one or two.
>>
>>836353
Well shit.
That 2 /out/ers that have me beat by a huge margin.
I have a "town" that I can drive to in 5 minutes.
Its just a gas station and post office really, but I can buy milk and a can of chili.
You really should snowboard man, its awesome fun time.
>>
>>835360
that's beautiful man.
>>
>>835404
60 miles from Denali in any direction is nowhere. Are your pics from your /out/ cabin or something?
>>
>>836397
"Welcome to the thread", the post.
>>
File: DSC_5467.jpg (270KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_5467.jpg
270KB, 1024x685px
>>836397
Yeah, welcome to the thread.

My pics are from my house which is off the grid and /out/. The closest grid is about 30 miles from me in Talkeetna and it is not really much of a grid. I am 60 miles east of Denali, between Denali park and Nelchina park.

I used to live in Anchorage but got tired of city life and saved up enough to buy this place. Live the 2/3 of the year I am not out on the sea working.
>>
>>836338
Got pics of that lake?
What do you use for internet up there?
>>
File: 1437894424919.jpg (94KB, 440x400px) Image search: [Google]
1437894424919.jpg
94KB, 440x400px
>>835183
> wanting anything whatsoever to do with this shitty decadent last stage of empire society
>>
>>836548
>wanting anything whatsoever to do with this shitty decadent last stage of empire society
>he says on a social imageboard, on the internet, on a Chinese built computer
Wow you're really sticking it to the man
>>
File: bill.jpg (68KB, 981x338px) Image search: [Google]
bill.jpg
68KB, 981x338px
>>836553
> implying 2^2Chan (or to a lesser extent, the wider internet itself) has anything in common with larger normie society that gets all their info from the 6 o clock news
> also, wtf do the Chinese have to do with the price of tea in China?
Wew lad
>>
>>836422
so you do not pay taxes and have no utilities, correct?
>>
>>833493
Impossible unless I had land. If I did I'd have to pay the repayments on it which would be an extra chore ontop of being self sufficient. I want to do it though. I'm too depressed to get a job.
>>
File: Boise10acre.jpg (778KB, 1372x1828px) Image search: [Google]
Boise10acre.jpg
778KB, 1372x1828px
>>836298
Damn, wtf is wrong with you burgers? $20'000 with only a $120 down-payment? No wonder you people have debt issues.

>>836175
Acreage is not necessarily what matters to feeling secluded.
Look at pic related
>>
>>834844
I like your style m8. Im going to be getting some land soon and build a small shack on it. I figure $15-20k and I'll be set. Just have to figure out where I want to do it.
>>
>>836173
not hte anon you're replying to but you're a try hard edgelord.
>>
File: 1454535866575.jpg (86KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1454535866575.jpg
86KB, 720x960px
I have a cabin in central east texas. Im thinking of doing a solar setup for internet and a desk fan and maybe a led light bulb. I think ill need 6 345 watt solar panels and some batteries. I can only run the set up for 8 hours though. don't know what ill do with the rest of the time im awake. Any suggestions?
>>
>>836658
oh and its on 10 acres of land I was thinking about raising goats on it.
>>
>>834847
I bet you are talking about desert land with very little water. I have had a hard time finding anything with trees that isn't at least 40k for less than 5 acres. If I'm wrong, I'd like tips.
>>
>>836561
I have solar electric as well as a gasoline generator. I also have a propane stove and fridge that I can run off 20 LB tanks.

My place is not connected to grid electric and there isn't any around for miles. No gas lines either.

I'm in the Matanuska Sustina borough and they levy property tax. It is something less than 0.5% and my place isn't very valuable in a market sense so the annual tax is less than a shipment of gasoline.
>>
>>836445
It isn't a year round lake, really just a bowl that has some snow melt in it. It stays boggy all the time though and attracts a lot of wildlife.
>>
>>836445
For internet I used to have satellite, but there is an LTE tower 8 miles from me now and I use that.
>>
>>836445
There is a lake the other direction with fish. I'll look around to see if I have a pic or two of it. I have a small dock and jon boat on it.
>>
>>836663
North Florida you can still buy plenty land for $5k/acre. I'm looking at some 5 acre lots for $25k. Few thousand down, owner financing, no credit check. Want to be neighbors? The more more /out/ types I have for neighbors, the better IMO.
>>
>>836761
>in north Florida you can buy some gators for $5k a piece, and they come with free land
>>
>>836842
Are you afraid of gators? The big ones are a lot of meat. Gator nuggets, yummy!
>>
>>836353
Wow this shit is actually pretty cool!

is this legal in Manitoba or any of Canada for that matter?
>>
>>836761
yeah, but then you have to live in florida where florida man dwells.
>>
>>836663
Just did search on land and farm.
Searched max $25k, min 5 acres.
885 results- new York, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, California, south Carolina, Oklahoma....
>>
>>836848
Hunting, in my state at least, is by lottery.
My "neighbor" has 3 in his pond. My creek feeds that pond.
Gator is yummy, but hunting regs are weird. Can't use a firearm.
>>
>>836304
damn, this looks nice. Trying to stay within an hour from my Stillwater job atm, but if I get this, the rocks are yours.

I've emailed the Broker to find out more about this one though: http://www.landandfarm.com/property/Lot_Meridian_OK-597984/
>>
>>836932
Noticed that listing says "many lots with mineral rights" be sure that's included.
That means someone else owns the right to gold, oil, whatever else is found on the property (including meteorites).
Shell or BP or whatever oil company could literally show up on day and start drilling in your backyard.
>>
>>836952
Not muh meteorite;_;
>>
File: Shitter.jpg (282KB, 730x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Shitter.jpg
282KB, 730x1024px
>>836849
Can't imagine why it wouldn't be but I don't know the laws in Canada. I've tromped around there hunting and such and I know there are plenty of off grid cabins in the back country.

There was a dust up a couple of years ago about the sanitation regs changing. It would have meant that people like me would have had to put in a septic tank and finger system or haul out all human waste to a dump. Luckily it was shot down quickly and I can still shit down a hole.
>>
>>837039
One thing I wouldn't be able to do.
I don't mind sponge baths, but I have a thing about taking a nice relaxing crap.
I worked construction for 15 years before I ever used a porta-john, and that was because I was stuck somewhere for a week and that was the only option.
>>
>>837039
BTW, if you ever want to go septic, its really simple.
I have no idea what your current regulations are, but they used to make tanks out of brick- so that's something that could be brought in piece by piece and done by yourself.
>>
File: 1466888270254.png (256KB, 547x422px) Image search: [Google]
1466888270254.png
256KB, 547x422px
>>837105
>>>837039
>BTW, if you ever want to go septic, its really simple.
>I have no idea what your current regulations are, but they used to make tanks out of brick- so that's something that could be brought in piece by piece and done by yourself.

This is something I might actually be needing to do sooner or later. Any resources / links you could point me to? I mean, other than what I can find by DuckDuckGo-ing, obviously.
>>
>>837185
My friend actually does septic inspection for a few countys. She knows literally everything.
I'll see if I can borrow some of her stuff for legit plans/numbers.
>>
>>837192
Cool!

I'll be monitoring the thread.
>>
>>834180
>>834360
>>834363

>I got very lucky and am near a power line

What you've described isn't really what i'd call off grid.

Your literally connected to the power grid.
>>
>>836553
>You should be cave manning it like primitive technology
>Any form of technology produced by society means your cheating

lol
>>
Yeah people take the term "off grid" a bit too literally. It's really open to interpretation and used as a loose description by most to describe getting away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

To me, off grid means freedom to do what I want with and on my land, and to get away from city obligations. I'm not interested in living without power or internet. I just want to be able to turn off my computer and go shoot guns off my porch in less than 5 minutes.
>>
>>837264
>used as a loose description by most to describe getting away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
>most

no just you

it originated from living literally "off the power grid" hence it was shortened to "off grid"

Then people who have a nice cabin on some land they vacation at wanted to be one of the cool kids and started calling their mains powered cabin on a property "off gridding"

Which is basically what your talking about
>To me, off grid means freedom to do what I want with and on my land, and to get away from city obligations.

In reality "off grid" in this day an age means no mains water or power, no sewerage and not connected to a county gas line.

It doesn't mean you don't have microwaves or fridges or internet or tv or anything like that and you have to make your own butter from goats you rear on your property.

I'm gunna get /x/ tier on you say. This appropriation of the term "off grid" to mean any cabin in the woods including those with mains power may be something done by the government to fuck over the real "off grid" movement.

As we all know the government doesn't like independent people that don't require much if any of the services they provide.
>>
>>833493
I think it's extremely selfish.
If you are self sufficient, you would be producing food and giving it to the cucks. You shouldn't live off grid, you will just be an ecological sink. I wish I could ethically allow myself to do so.
>>
>>834844
What state are you in if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>837253
I do not disagree with that.
My intent was innawoods, not off grid.
But my experience can be helpful and transfers easily to those wanting information on either lifestyles.
>>837437
I'm in central-ish Georgia. East of Dublin.
>>
>>837197
OK, talked to septic inspector friend.
Tried to cover concepts, not premade commercial setups.

One thing that's popular out here is sticking a trailer innawoods for weekend hunting. They'll take a 55 gallon drum, drill holes in it and bury it to make a makeshift septic system.
It actually works well for 2 guys on weekend trips.

Code out here is minimum 1,000 gallon tank for a house, size goes up as bathrooms are added.
But that's covering 30 minute showers and dishwashers and running the sink for 5 minutes to brush your teeth.

Biggest issue you'll have is freeze line. Everything has to be below that.
I also hope you don't have bedrock 6" down.
In theory you need a core sample to see where the water shed plane is ( forgive me for making up terms, I can't remember half of the ones she uses).
Theres a website for geological study though, that will say what a given areas soil is constructed of.
She couldn't remember the site, but I'll bug her about it.
Continued....
>>
>>837835
>*disclaimer: I do not advocate violating any local, state or federal laws.

I'll break down posts into basically drums, brick tanks and then leach fields.

So I discussed the functionality of 55 gallon drum setups with my septic friend.
Single drum setups and multriple drum setups.
The bonus from multiple drums is negligible, since the point of a tank is a holding area.
Even though the volume is increased, because you'd have to attach with piping means that you'd be susceptible to cloggage from floating toilet paper.
Paper breaks down, but over time. When it flows into a tank through the 4" pipe from a flush, it has all that water moving it along. Once its floating around in aa multiple tank setup, it can easily clog a line to another tank and render that cell inoperative.
I had thought that (9) 55 gallon drums tied together could be a long term solution, but it has issues.
Theres also the problem of sucking out the tank(s) for service. No big deal if its only plumbed for a toilet, could last 50 years. But one problem and all that work just turned into a literal shitfest.

So a single drum has more functional potential than multiples. And by her estimates would be adequate with proper leach fields.
>>
>>837864
Brick tanks (slight detour)
Prefab tanks are basically concrete or plastic nowadays.
Concrete would weigh tons and have to be brought out on a flat bed and lowered into place with a crane of some sort.
Plastic could be brought out on a truck and man handled, come-alonged into place.

Both would require a decent sized hole.

All tanks would require a hole or some type of geographical situation where it could be easily buried (embankment you could nestle it against and then backfill around it).

From toilet into tank you need a proper pipe angle.
If my friend remembers correctly (that's plumbing code, she's on the other side) its 1/4 inch drop for every 2 feet of run. This insures that the water doesn't outrun your poop/toilet paper and leave it stuck in the pipe.
This is critical for a system to function properly so you don't have to snake your drain every 3rd shit.

>OK, brick:
Brick has awesome potential in your situation because its modular. You can build a tank size based on requirements and also based on geography. You can build it to match the terrain without killing yourself with a shovel in frozen tundra.
It would also be easy to construct access port to clean out tank when needed.
Would also be built stronger- having a plastic or drum tank could have issues with collapsing under the pressure of top soil needed to be under freeze line.
Although in normal circumstances you'd just pay some guy to come out with a giant vacuum cleaner to suck it out. If you I had to do it by hand I might just built a new tank...

Only issue is cost getting it to your location.
Brick and mortar is not light- having it all flown in on a sea plane is going to cost more than a 12 pack of Amstel light on the side to the pilot.
>>
>>837878
Sidenote- you could pour a concrete tank in place if you built forms with plywood/2x4's also.
But I'm not a concrete expert so am unsure on how quickly you'd have to fill the form(s). Like if you could do a couple bags today and a coup!e tomorrow- although that's how we build dams.
Other research required on that.
>>
>>837880
So I'm sure I've dropped some info, but its a running thread so I'll fill in later if needed.

>leach/drain fields.

My friend calls this "product".
Theres many different types. From foam to pipes with holes to basically 55 gallon drums cut in half and flipped open side down.

Biggest thing is needing aggregate.
I'll take a stab in the dark and say theres a river somewhere you can fill buckets with rock to use.
You can go as basic as something as PVC pipe with holes drilled in it. But even if you use a premade product, you need a gravel bed not just dirt.

This part gets tricky.
Its easy to get tank below the frost line (that's the term I keep forgetting).
But the field has to be in a specific layer.
Can't be too high because it will freeze.
Can't be too low or the soil won't absorb/disperse. the water.

So those are basic parameters that internet searches might not fill in.

I'll post necessary parameters for construction next (inlet to tank has to be here, outlet has to be there kind of stuff)
>>
Looks like it's in NC
>>
>>837887
Aggregate under leach field is secondary dispersion.
You still need the water to flow into dirt.
You can't have a pile of gravel on top of bedrock that's buried 2" from the frost line and have it work. The water will accumulate and back up the system- even on top of a mountain if it can't flow away.
Now if you only flush once a day and have nothing else connected to the system- it can function.
Septic systems function on Inlet < outlet.
Once you flip that formula- you have shit overflowing in your toilet even if you're 20 feet higher than the septic tank.
>>
>>837253
For the record.
I wanted a life away from gangbangers, hookers and drug addicts.
Before I moved here- I lived in las Vegas.
I had SWAT in my apartment complex 3 times in a year.
I had my car stolen while i was sleeping and i chased down the douchebags in my boxers (lol, mericans can't drive manuals). Luckily she's built and I heard her fire up.
The things I've seen in Vegas would make an entertaining book that would only get published under fiction- because no normal person could accept that it was reality- even though I witnessed it.

I haven't locked a vehicle since I've been here (2 years).
Big difference.
>>
>>837269
>offgrid
>no cable TV lifeline
>satellite TV acceptable and has the same paper trail.....

Even danali bro gets a paycheck from his 6 month of the year job. He's as off grid as can be and still pay in ssi.

Only way you're really offgrid is if youre Amish.
>>
>>837931
lol i'm just saying how it is lad

offgrid = no mains power and water, no gas lines, no sewerage
>>
>>837927
Yeah thats fine mate, nothing wrong with that. I suggest you start working towards being off grid though.

If you live in a location like you are sounds like all you need is some solar panels, maybe a wind turbine.
>>
>>837921
Back to building.
The tank itself doesn't matter.
Inlet / outlet size and positioning does though.

Solids collect on the bottom (microbes live there and eat it) grease collects on top.
Both of those will clog drain lines. So best to keep them in the tank where they can partially break down over time / be cleaned out by vacuum or (shovel in denali bros case) but if they clot the leach field you're fucked and field is now garbage.
You want the drain line to the leach field between this layers.

Then theres actual flow patterns. If you have 4" incoming line, then outlet has to be 4" below the bottom of that line in order to create flow.
Inlet can be a straight-shot into the tank, but you want the outlet to be angled down into the tank so that new material coming in doesn't go directly into the leach field line and clog it.
Basically you want solid materials to come into the tank and settle and then broken down material to flow out.

As an example- if you used a 55 gallon drum- you wouldn't want inlet and outlet to be on opposite side because its a flow-through path over a short distance.
You need to offset in/out to prevent that.

The leach field/drain field itself needs to be as flat as possible.
But you can have piping from septic tank at a 50° angle to the leach field if necessary.
It doesn't matter how fast or what angle the waste water from the tank flow to the field. But once it gets to drain devices it should be flat.
Code in my area is 200 square feet of field.
You can break that up however you want, as many pieces as you want.
You can have a 50° drain pipe to one section of leach field, that's level- then another steep angle to the next portion of leach field.
>>
>>837937
>satellite TV
>cellular internet
>job with 5% to FICA

All of that is on the grid
>we wireless now
Stick with the times man

Even if you're running a generator- you're still paying the man his blood money and have your picture on the surveillance camera filling that 5 gallon jug.

BTW, where'd you get that $10 to buy gasoline?
>>
>>837938
Neighbor has both.
Great for the zombie breakout....
But his $5k solar setup
>"CAN RUN AN ENTIRE HOUSE!!!
>*not including a/c
Plus battery replacement every 5 years, blown converters.
Shit technology in the real world.
>>
>>837944
>>837931
Lol i get you wanna be a ghost in the woods. Thats fine but some people just want to live cheap rather and be less dependent on the man and spend their days hunting/farming/gardening for food.

Rather than living in a cubicle.

There not entirely worried about being surveillied and having credit card payments for interwebs and sat TV.

My main reason for wanting to be off grid is if the grid goes down i can still survive in relative comfort.
>>
>>837947
Sure its never going to be as good as mains power or as cheap probably but i don't see many other alternatives on the market unless you have a mini-nuclear reactor build up your sleeve but fair enough if you just wanna live out in the woods to escape city life i don't blame you we all do.
>>
>>837948
I think we have something crossed because I don't give a rats ass about being tracked.
My dna was recorded when I joined the military (lol identify this body part) so its not like I can hide.
I am actually living as cheaply as possible.
That means electiricty from a pole instead of a boondoggle game of solar and wind with more maintenance issues and cost just to be "off the grid".
You're here now-
Computer
Electricity
Internet
So am I.
But I have passion fruit, avacodo and blueberry crops I have to harvest.
And I have to go to work tomorrow " in town" at my day job.

BTW, I had to serve on grand jury duty today.
I didn't sign up to vote- this county is so small that they get names from everywhere they can- car registration, drivers license, property tax...
So even if you think youre "off the grid"
That doesn't happen until you're dead.
>>
>>837961
For the record, I didn't sign up to vote because I was moving from west coast to east coast and it took awhile, they found me anyways...
>>
>>837961
>>837963
I heard you can get out of jury duty pretty easy like saying lol i served and seen some shit

voting is a scam anyways
>>
>>837963
How difficult was it for you to buy land when moving west to east coast? How many properties did you have to look at and did you have to involve a broker/realtor? I have a plan to do similar to your set up. What sort of salary do you need to maintain your lifestyle?
>>
>>838153
My purchase was easy.
I looked at property online, found one I liked and called owner.
He purchased the land just to log then sold off parcels.
Told him when I was coming out (thinking he would want to meet me there). He just gave me generic directions.
I drove out there and almost guessed what plot it was (luckily I guessed correctly). Spent about 2 hours walking around it with my buddy. Called the owner while I was standing there and told him to mail me the paperwork.

Mailed him back a check and that was it.

Moving is effort.
I've done it a couple times.
Cost really depends on how much of your junk you can't live without and how much of your life you can stuff into your car/uhaul.

One move I did cost about $8k
But I drove out one vehicle with a buddy, flew back, loaded the biggest uhau they hadl and towed one car while buddy drove my other car- then flew him back home.

But if you just packed your life into your car you could do it on $300 in gas.

If you look at some of those websites posted ITT, you can find owner financed land for $150 a month.
Derksenbuildings.com has premade shells that are very popular out here. I swear half the property's have one. Its cheaper to build your own, but these won't fall down and are just dropped where you want off of a truck. They also have owner financing and can get one for anywhere from $100-$400 a month depending on size.

I actually don't make a lot of money.
But you don't need a lot.
My payments for my land and cabin are less than the shithole 1 bedroom apartment I was living in.

I had savings to get started. I had time to get situated on my property before I had to find a job. If you don't have a lot of cash saved up, you need to find a job before you start the move.
>>
If you can get away with it, do it. Lots of jews will try to stop you though.
>>
>>837998
I have served.
I have seen some shit.
But oaths and duty take on a new meaning once you've been in that environment.
As much as I wanted to get out of there as fast as possible, I didn't have a choice but to give it my all based on loyalty to this nation.
>>
There a thing called "the gnat line" in the southeast.
Its a line running from east to west basically.
Above it youre safe.
Below it you have gnats.
Sand flys are tiny little gnats that swarm you.
They suck.
I didn't know about them until I got here, I'm on the wrong side of the line.
Luckily I put out tons of hummingbird feeders and they set up camp. They eat ALOT of small insects like gnats and mosquitoes.
Just and FYI tip if any ody has issues with those damn things.
>>
>>837940
Back to redneck drums.

So locals will take a plastic or steel 55 gallon drum and drill holes all over it.
Dig a hole about 5 feet deep.
Pile gravel in the bottom.
Drop in drum and fill gravel around the sides.
Connect a pipe into the top going to drain on trailer.
Then cover with dirt.

Simple setup that works.

Leach fields.
They can be hundreds of feet away from the tank or a few feet away from the tank.
They can be split into as many sections as needed.
With a pipe connecting the first section, where it leaches out of, then another pipe as long as you need, at whatever angle slope to the next section to leach out of.
They can be in series or parralel.
They can be split into separate runs- one going to the right of the tank, another line off of the tank going to a separate leach filed to the left of the tank.
>>
>>835302
>>835302
fuck that is nice.
where are you in the usa?
and what did your land cost?
>>
>>836561
gubmint agent pls go
>>
>>838219
What sort of things did you look for when you go to check out a piece of land? Did you have to deal with a land title company and do a lot of background/history research? Did you face any problems with local/county govt regarding siting your cabin and septic system ect.?
>>
>>833793
Are you retarded?
>>
>>838508
Land is personal preference.
I didn't want a boring piece of land that was just flat cornfield. I have elevation change and a creek with a forest running through the middle.
Land company that I bought from doesn't do any background or credit check. Give them money and you get the land.
My county is pretty lenient on trailers and mobile homes out on property's. Theres a lot of hunting cabins nestled innawoods.
Only thing that required a permit was septic. Was $75.
For the well I just called a company and they came out and drilled basically.
For electricity I just installed a service pole and ran it into the cabin. Electric company came out and hooked it to the main line.
Everything I did was by code- which sucked to trench 2 feet down in the clay.
Took me a few hours with a sledge hammer, standing on a ladder, to get my 8 foot ground rod all the way down. Electric company did their ground rod with a jack hammer in about 20 seconds.
>>
>>838254
Talkeetna Alaska is the closest town. I'm about 60 miles east of Mt Denali, roughly in between Denali park and Nelchina park.

I bought the place about 10 years ago with the cabin, barn, and a backup shelter with a sauna in it. Put in the solar system and generator, along with the dock and lake shed, outdoor smoker building, and cleared the ground for a helipad. Also shiny new toilet. The previous owner just used it as a hunting camp and only came in by snow machine when the creek was frozen.

Anyway the place ran me around 3k/acre for 60 acres, plus about 40k for the buildings. My cloest neighbor is 2 miles away and the next 15.

Unimproved land can be had around here for less than $1k/acre if it doesn't have mature timber on it. There was a 40 acre parcel on an unnamed lake that went for less than $38k at an auction a few weeks ago, that I really wish I has been there for because a friend of mine is in the market.

Look at the remote fly in list on landinalaska site, they seem to get a lot of the remote stuff.

If anyone wants to live like this AK is the best place to do it. The up front cost is low and there is money to be made here for people who don't mind hard work. But living out here doesn't leave much room for screw ups and it can be pretty unforgiving.
>>
File: merk.png (660KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
merk.png
660KB, 1024x576px
>>838222
Hate to break it to you Anon, but oaths and duty mean jack shit to the oligarchs who's dirty work you did while in the service.
>>
>>833493
I live off grid 7 months out of the year. I work as a hunting/fishing guide late spring to early fall in Southeast and south central Alaska and live in a homestead cabin the rest of the year. Wouldn't trade this life for anything.
>>
>>838777
Hey if you have any specific questions about septic let me know.
Friend filled my head with so much crap I honestly don't know what's common knowledge for innawoods folk.
Also:
http://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/HomePage.htm

Should show soil type for your area.
>>
>>839463
Thanks.

I don't have plans to put one in now, the idea that the few of us living in the back country were literally shitting the place up got BTFO before it got off the ground.

If it comes up again and somehow makes it through I'll have to pick a time when the creek is frozen to pull the supplies in by sled. I imagine my snowmobile could pull a plastic tank and I could rig a come along to get it into a hole. Plenty of aggregate around here but I'm a little worried about whether I'd be able to bury it...the place is mostly a thin layer of soil on top of bedrock.
>>
>>839719
I was afraid bedrock might be an issue for you.

BTW, plastic tanks have to be filled before burial or they collapse.

Tanks don't have to be dropped into a hiole- that's just most common of course.
They can also be put on the surface and then a mound of dirt piled on top of it. Judging by your pics I'm guessing theres a nice terrain feature within 100 feet of the cabin that you could nestle it against so you'd only have to fill in dirt up against it. Still probably a lot of fill dirt you'd have to hunt around for.

I was also curious if you have running water?
I've done gravity feed systems in creeks- if theres a stream uphill from you its simple to bury a pickup line and have gravity do all the work.

It would obviously be a summer novelty, wasn't sure what seasons you're normally there.
>>
>>834154
What do you mean, electric is a drug?
>>
>>840865
Ever seen a crack head who hasn't scored in a day?
Go turn off your main breaker and see how long it takes for you to look like that.
It will happen...
>>
>>840865
He's a braindead hippy, that's what.
>>
>>839719
Oh ya.
If you look at codes for leach fields, it will probably say something like minimum 200 linear feet.
Theres a product that is basically a 55 gallon drum cut in half and the open side down on a bed of gravel creates the dispersion ability. Normally you'd need 20-30 of these for a normal setup. Friend believes that in your circumstance you could have a functional system with 4-5 of these.
They would also be easy to transport out to your place.
Pic is the product.
These dont have to be connect directly to eachother- they have end caps that can be installed aad then 4" pipe connecting the next until so you could put them wherever the terrain allowed.
>>
>>833493
Electrician here great idea would love to do it, but battery technology is still garbage, your looking at 5k minimum for just the battery bank, electricity storage technology is shit, and big interests are going to keep it shit because we still have oil and natural gas
>>
>>841461
Neighbor has a $5k system.
Actually says "can power a whole house!!! (except for air conditioning systems)"

Maintenance costs for replacement battery banks, blown inverters always seemed like a waste.
But they're great for when the Chinese paratroopers or zombies who's up....
>>
>>841461
>Electrician here great idea would love to do it, but battery technology is still garbage
Tesla is working on a "home battery". Just wait for it
>>
>>841461
>Not rigging up your own flow battery, or other alternative storage system like gravity storage
>>
>>842883
>Home battery
It's just an overpriced pile of 18650s with a snazzy case and a tesla logo. It's nothing new, but people are losing their shit over it because !!!!!TESLA!!!!!
Elon musk should stick to rockets.
>>
>>843029

Nah, the push into battery tech, and the Gigafactory, will lower prices globally over time since more lithium producing companies need to come online to feed the factory.
>>
>>837878
>1/4 every 2 feet
It's 1/4 every foot, for future reference
>>
>>843059
I'll yell at her for getting it wrong.
Thread posts: 177
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.