[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fads you're sick of?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 289
Thread images: 48

File: image.jpg (43KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 650x366px
Fads you're sick of?
>>
houses
>>
Ridiculously overexpensive *insert scandinavian name* outdoor brands in psychedelic colors
>Fäilŕäven
>Fückboy
>Boreälcůck
>Åsswiper Sveden
>Bær Poop
>>
>>833490
I chuckled
>>
>>833496
I used even more scandinavian letters but somehow 4chan doesnt show them. Every o for example had a dash through it when I wrote it.
>This kills the jöke
>>
File: Laughing.jpg (11KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing.jpg
11KB, 200x200px
>>833490
>>Boreälcůck
>>
hammering knives through conveniently clean cut logs in in order to practice "survival"
>>
>>833475
>taking guns
>gun faggotory
Just let me have things bby
>>
>>833490
this. bright colored gear in general isn't that bad though, and sometimes has it's advantages.

also sick of all this native american feathers/geometrical patterns inspired clothing/merchandise of any kind. mostly because almost all the people you see wearing it are pasty white normie millennials trying to "be unique, nature rules bro"
>>
>>833523
>pasty white normie millennials
>millennials

way to make your whole argument invalid shitstorm. Let me guess, Gen X?.. you realize ur people made all this happen, nothing but urself to blame.
>>
I fucking hate it when normies have fun outside.
>>
The over-technologization of being in nature.

Sometimes (especially when I lurk /out/ or read other forums) I got the feel, that lots of people cannot enjoy nature without several k$ worth of equipment. They buy tarps (c'mon, its just a fucking plastic tarpaulin) for 50 or more bucks, drag electronic shit into the woods and dress themselfes in super expensive outdoor clothing.

And if said clothing is not made of plastic ('xcuse me, but what else is Nylon etc?) its made from super expensive "outdoor nylon". (looking at you, G-1000 cotton guys)

I understand that modern people need their comfort also in the woods. But why the hell does everything have to be special outdoor? Are you guys so narrow minded that you cant think of further uses for "regular" stuff?

When I hike, I'm wearing jeans and regular leather workboots with wool socks from fucking Walmart. I never felt too hot or cold, I never needed my shit to dry within seconds and I never felt that I missed anything. Quite the opposite: I once wore my brothers Outdoor Jacket (from >>833490 such a Nörth Smörebröd company) and it was pure crap. It felt shitty, it didnt keep me warm and after I sat at the fire, it was full of holes.

Its just nature, so why do we have to drag a shitton of non-natural, overexpensive bullcrap into nature to make it absolutely non-natural?
>>
>>833569
Because humans have evolved since we lived in caves.

We got modern materials to keep the downsides of being outdoor (too hot, too cold, wet) to a minimum. So why's that dumb?
>>
Instagram
>>
>>833535
>gen x
nope I'm a millennial but nice try nonetheless
>>
>>833571
Because it doesn't really work. Some shit does, of course, but most of the stuff people buy is expensive and doesn't work that well, if at all. The added comfort (if you call it that) is psychological. Like training whells on a kid's bike, if you pardon the bad annalogy.
>>
>>833490
as a scandinavian I some times talk about these things simply because it's what available in the store close to me, and when people ask for reccommendations I can't talk with knowledge about foreign brands because I don't use it
if you are american or something like that I can understand that you think it's overpriced, because you have to pay more for it than we do, and if you wondered why it's expensive, it's simply because scandinavia is an expensive place to run a business

I also hate the bright colours, so I almost exclusivly look in the hunting sections, because they are in less obnoxious coulours. Scandi hunting gear is pretty aesthetic imo.
>>
This warped idea that all "/out/doorsmen" have to be frugal poorfags.
>>
>>833583
If you wanna enjoy nature without the slightest reduction in comfort, why dont you just sit on the fucking porch and watch your yard?

Being /out/ is alot about leaving the bullshit of modern civilization behind, at least for a few hours.

Is it so hard to survive without your supder-duper-especially-hiking-hightech-cloth pants?

Cant go without smartphone?

Sleeping in nature only if it feels like your king size bed back home?

Dude, perhaps being /out/doorsman isnt the right hobby for you.
>>
>>833593

What are you even talking about?
>>
>>833593
Nice fucking strawman m8
>>
>>833593
I can respect that some people have a strict budget. I've been a student, I know how that is.

But eventually when you land a job and have disposable income and you figure out that going /out/doors is a hobby you're gonna spend a lot of time on, then it makes sense to invest in quality gear. It's just like any hobby really, where people who are really into it end up justifying expensive things by actually using it.

Also, while the initial cost of quality gear is high, it tends to last a lot longer where as cheap gear needs to be replaced faster. So one expensive item that last 20 years or longer doesn't cost that much in the long run, if you consider how many years you get out of it.

and there are some cheap /out/door products out there that can make your life more miserable, they fail or break when you need them the most.
Like I said, I've lived on a student budget. I've brought el cheapo gear that was made in China with me, and yeah, some of those things have failed me innawoods.
>>
>>833523
Try DMT, 5meo DMT or peyote and you'll change your mind on the nature/geometrical patterns.
>>
>>833535
>ur people made all this happen

Hardly, the baby boomers are still the old geezers in charge of everything. Gen X is literally being skipped over.
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>>833475
People using the spine of their knoife to start fires
>>
>>833569
about clothing, it depends on your environment

I live in a place where it gets rather cold and wet so there's a legit need for clothes that offer better protection than jeans do

I can understand that jeans work just fine in a dry environment though
>>
>>833569
I'll tell you one thing, I made the mistake of backpacking in jeans and a heavy cotton flannel and I will never do that again. It down poured and I was stuck being wet for days and could not sleep, became almost hypothermic. Synthetics are worth wearing if you're going to be out for days at a time trust me on that one
>>
>>833503
You think taking guns in the wilderness is a fad? You wanna know how I know you live in California?
>>
File: 456456.jpg (66KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
456456.jpg
66KB, 900x675px
>>833611
>>
File: sanbushmen.jpg (58KB, 590x400px) Image search: [Google]
sanbushmen.jpg
58KB, 590x400px
Vibram fivefingers.
just go barefoot and stop being a pussy, or make sandals out of leather for like £10 and you'll be fine.
>>
>>833569
I thought you were gonna take this someplace cool, like:
>fuck expensive gear cheaper stuff works better
>we're letting objects/consumerism get in the way of enjoying the outdoors
>you don't need expensive/complicated/gimmicky/whatever things to be comfortable
or
>simpler technology is better

instead, your bitchass decided to cry and whine about fabrics. Get over yourself goddamn cuck. Nobody cares if you hike in jeans and think you're better than everyone. Cotton cloth was a new technology to western society at a relatively recent point.

The fact of the matter is that if you go someplace where hypothermia can be an issue (i.e. anywhere that gets below 60F and wet sometimes) QUALIFIED, EXPERIENCED OUTDOOR PROFESSIONALS will tell you that you shouldn't wear cotton. Ever heard the phrase "cotton kills"? It's because that shit looses all of it's heat retentive qualities when wet. It is more advantageous in a survival situation to remove wet cotton clothes and be naked, than to wear wet cotton. Wool? Nope, keep it on. "Plastic", nope that also is fine. Silk? Bamboo? Rayon? Raime? All fine, and won't get you into a shitty situation. It's not even like "plastic" fabrics are expensive. Go to any store and it'll be as expensive if not cheaper than cotton.

Don't even start with that fuck face bullshit about how experienced you are or how this isn't that big a deal. If you have any place of authority to speak on this subject, you are placing yourself in some danger that you don't even realize. If not, and you enjoy a casual hour or 2 long hike on the weekends, then shut the fuck up.

I'm fucking sick of this bullshit. Next I'm gonna have to tell you fucking cucks that it's a good idea to drink water when you're out.
>>
>>833620
>fuck expensive gear cheaper stuff works better
in what universe does that make any sense
generally speaking, you get what you pay for

that said, there are cheap things that can get the job just fine, and rarely do you need the absolute best product on the market, you just need something that is adequate
>>
File: 9573_1.jpg (123KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
9573_1.jpg
123KB, 600x600px
>>833490
>Not being aesthetic whilst hiking
>Getting fucked over by import laws
>>
>>833569
>When I hike, I'm wearing jeans

I was with ya until this.
>>
>>833611
>Coca-Cola homosexual detected
>>
>>833640
Can you find me someone who isn't a fucking model in a photoshoot using Fäggräven's overpriced polycotton jackets outdoors for once?
>>
File: tears.jpg (61KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
tears.jpg
61KB, 400x225px
>>833640
>>
molle webbing
>>
Sick of pokemon go just because i see people walking around glued to thier phone but i can see its doing some good

Im extremely sick of the camo fad though. Everyone is wearing that duck dynasty shit, i even saw a post on my facebook page about plywood that is camo painted for whatever fuck reason

Its great for hunters but i see normies in the city daily that have camo on every peice of clothing. Shits not supposed to be everyday wear
>>
>>833658
> facebook

Sick of it, always was. But it's beyod fad, it's ubiquitous.

As Pokemon Go will be.

> camo plywood

Now that's an app I could lay muh dick on.
>>
>>833661
Yea im pretty sick of facebook as well. The only reason i keep it is for photos and to use messenger to talk to friends overseas
>>
>>833593
But you have to realize that, nowadays, the stuff you find for cheap is low quality, it's not just about comfort, it's about the fact a $100 pair of "fancy hightec" pants will outlast a shitty $20 pair of "hiking" pants from walmart and thus be cheaper in the long run since the fancy pants will last and the cheap ones will need to be replaced constantly
>>
File: Mom don't look.webm (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Mom don't look.webm
3MB, 480x270px
>>833475
Batonning
>>
File: BATONNY.jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
BATONNY.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
>>833743
BATONNY CHOPPY CHOPPY ME CHOPPY BATONNY THE WOOOD
>>
>people doing roped ways alone with a fucking 50m rope on their back
>hiking in running shoes
>people only hiking onto a hut for their lunch and then the same path back
>taking a shit 2m next to the trail and leaving toilet paper everywhere
>people not having anything fix minor things on their gear e.g. tape to fix a broken off sole
>>
>>833798
>people doing roped ways alone with a fucking 50m rope on their back

??

are you talking about people soloing technical routes while carrying a rope in case they need to bail or rap?
>>
>>833801
yes, met one last time I was on my descent on a very easy route (I was only wearing my helmet and ditched the harness)
>>
>>833667
>facebook
shut down my account the day I found out my company HR was scouring all social media. Let's face it, we all have at least one opinion that somebody is going to disagree with. I'm not willing to get fired for it.
Anyone that works for anyone other than themselves is a fool to have social media in their name. Even if you own your own business you need to understand that one post can destroy you. This is the way of the world no and social justice.
>>
>i only buy poorfag cheap shit because it makes muh outdoor experience more authentic!
>if you buy anything made with gore-tex, you are a fucking casual
>i only hike in cotton underwear and with pieces of leather duct taped to my feet because I'm a real outdoorsman!

oh fuck off, you outrageous faggot. If anything, this whole "you're only a real outdoorsman if you go outside to be as miserable as possible" bullshit is one of the worst fads out there. If someone can afford to buy a nice jacket or piece of gear to take outside, then why the fuck should you look down on them?
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (39KB, 428x288px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.jpg
39KB, 428x288px
>>833806
i'm glad you have the confidence in your technical ability to commit to a rope free ascent and descent.

i'm also glad when people who lack that confidence bring a way to self extract instead of getting themselves stuck and relying on sar. and i'm not sure why that bothers you.

also
>via ferratas
why are yuros such faggots?
>>
>>833620
holy shit, the anger in this post is hilarious.
>>
>>833611
i didnt know there was going to be gore in this thread
>>
>>833822
>i'm also glad when people who lack that confidence bring a way to self extract instead of getting themselves stuck and relying on sar. and i'm not sure why that bothers you.
Of what use would that rope be if he slipped and fell down 20m? I saw at first glance that he wasn't an experienced mountaineer and I'd understand a rope if he was part of a roped party, but in his case it was completely unnecessary, this roped way doesn't even have any verticals and the terrain here is so extremely brittle off the routes that it would just put you and others into even more danger.
>>
>>833743
I'm not very familiar with North American /out/ culture, so I'm going to have to ask.

Is batoning a fad over there or are you just being sarcastic? I understand that your tacticool rambo knives meant only for demonstating sharpness might get blunt, and that you can haul a decent full-size axe directly to your campsite with your pickup, making batoning seem like a tryhard exercise.

But enough with the shitposting. Just about everyone /out/ here in Finland uses a basic puukko knife and batons their firewood. They're like multitools but aren't making compromises left and right. When the fire is lit, it's time to relax and make handicrafts because the knife is excellent for carving. We have this very long tradition called leirikyrpä https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/diyleirikyrp%C3%A4/

As for fads annoying here in Finland, >>833569 applies very well. No major offense, but >>833798 takes part in this annoyance.
>hiking in running shoes
If you don't need purpose specific gear, you don't have to use it. I'd wear sneakers on an easy trail with a light load.
At least they go out. This isn't a competition on who has the best gear or who is the most hardcore outdoorsman.
>>
>>833828
>this roped way doesn't even have any verticals

i have no idea what that means. if it "has no verticals" then why is it a "roped way"? and is a roped way a via ferrata? because if that's what you were climbing then you are a fucking pussy who has no place to be bagging on anyone else's style.

here in the sierra nevada soloists often carry ropes for ridge traverses or linking peaks where they'd rather rappell than downclimb, or for soloing unfamiliar routes where they may have to bail.
>>
File: DSC02594.jpg (477KB, 1140x760px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02594.jpg
477KB, 1140x760px
>>833569
>drag electronic shit into the woods

any clue what's going on in pic related?
or why a cheap-ass tarp wouldn't perform as well? It's not about comfort or looking cool
>>
File: I-See-What-You-Did-There.jpg (33KB, 461x352px) Image search: [Google]
I-See-What-You-Did-There.jpg
33KB, 461x352px
>>833840
go in the woods, carve dicks
>very long tradition called leirikyrpä
>very long tradition
>very long
>>
>>833503
spotted the libcuck
>>
>>833810

>use main account for posting pictures of food and "liking" when someone dies
>use 2nd account to actually say what you think

>>833840
it is/should be

it's one thing if you have no other choice and have to use a knife, but intentionally not bringing a tool meant for splitting when you know you'll need one, is just poor planning
>>
>>833874
>2nd account
I obviously understand alt account. Just accept that your company is reading your "real name page" and everything you and others put on it. My family is a bunch of whack-a-moles and wannabees that get shitty and post all over everyone's pages in the middle of the night.
>>
>>833883
well that right there would be a good reason to remove it
>>
>>833810
Actually I'm just smart enough to not put opinions on social media that could get me fired. Pretty sure i dont have any to begin with that are all that racey

Like i said i use facebook for pics mostly. Worst thing that could happen is someone tags me in a pic where im smoking a bong, but my friends arent dumb enough to do that.

And yea like the other guy said make a troll account or something
>>
>>833883
every heard of privacy settings? nobody can see any of my posts or others posts or anything i'm tagged in unless they're friends of mine.

so if the HR lady friend-requests you, you decline
>>
>>833883
>facebook friends with family members
There's your problem.

My older sister is/was the worst with creeping facebook. When I was in HS, she was always asking questions like "Who is this? What did they mean by that?" so I removed her from my friends. Like half an hour later, she comes into my room yelling "Why aren't we friends on Facebook anymore?" and I had to explain to her that she can't go 30min without looking at my Facebook and I'd rather not deal with that. I think my aunt and grandma have been on that friends request page for 5 years or more.

I don't even use the shit anymore. I don't think I have posted anything in a couple of years. I will just call or text anybody worth talking to but sometimes FB is useful for getting in touch with people from back in the day.
>>
>>833895
You can believe this and believe they work 110% if you'd like. I get bored and 'stalk' people from time to time. It's pretty easy to gain access to a page.
>>
>>833897
everything you said is the same with me. my aunts have been rotting in my inbox or like 5 years now. my siblings are both on there but they aren't trouble.

how old are you peps?
>>
>>833900
oh really. and how so?
>>
File: image.jpg (113KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 640x1136px
>>833901
123 years old

I think FB was still only allowing people with a college email address when I was in 7th or 8th grade and opened up to everybody when I was in HS. 2004 maybe?
>>
>>833904
so at birth your name was brad. that's what ima call you from now on!
>>
>>833840
>This isn't a competition
I agree, and several anons on /out/ don't understand this

so they have to tell other anons that they are doing things wrong, they are doing something that is too easy, or using too much technology etc.

the most important thinh is that you as an individual enjoyed yourself on your trip, it's not important that other people don't think you're hardcore or whatever
>>
>>833902
You want me to teach you to hack on a public forum? right, like that's going to happen.

I will drop you a few strating points.
Passwords are typically easy to guess. I'd bet close to 30-40% of pw''s can be guessed.
It's easy to mimic other people. There are sites that have a list of your high school and college classmates
Most people will blindly accept requests from classmates, coworkers, family members even if they are already friended.

You may be cautious, 90% of people aren't.
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 464x648px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 464x648px
>>833912
You're trying awfully hard to lurk those pics

Anyway get them now because a lot of girls will delete all their good pics like halfway through college and make a somewhat professional FB page. Some sloots will still post good stuff though.
>>
File: Batonning for Dummies.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Batonning for Dummies.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>833840
It is a fad, a really unsafe one at that. It is tool abuse and when you abuse a tool it can and often does break. Breaking under such stress can shoot out bits of metal or handle which can hit you in the eye.

It is so much of a fad that manufacturers, who have been assailed with the retarded laments of bantoners who broke their knives, began to make knives with thicker blades; so to withstand the abuse of batoning.

Youtube survivalists and preppers have also spread this fad further by demonstrating this technique as a emergency survival technique and as an every day camping technique.

Short of having a car wreck, in a desert, during a snowy winter storm, while hauling a load of firewood and only having a knife with you, there's literally no reason to be batoning wood with a knife. Even woodcarvers use proper tools like gouges and froes for batoning.

Still the mediocre majority still determine what naivistic fads are, "in."
>>
>>833944
>>
>>833945
>>
>>833574
>ranting about millennials
>is millennial

lmao.
>>
>>833580
I have a pair of Lundhags pants, I got them in Sweden, and they were still overpriced as fuck. I like them though.
>>
>>833611
I hate this meme. I fucking cringe everytime I see it.
>>
>>833912
this is all true i reckon, but the point stands, an HR lady isn't going to hack or circumvent an employee's facebook security settings, and if they did they certainly wouldn't be able to fess-up to doing so.

"anon those private pics we hacked of you taking several dog cocks over the weekend don't reflect K-mart values. you're fired and please don't sue us"
>>
>>833815
Gortex is awesome. Prove me wrong faggots.
>>
>>833976
>>833611
>>833617
>>833645
>>833824
*evil grin*
>>
File: image.jpg (113KB, 640x935px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 640x935px
>>833995
Welcome new tripfriend
>>
>>833579
but lots does work, really really well

for instance merino wool is expensive but is no meme it's the real deal
>>
>>833743
look ma no axe
>>
>>833798

Why in the world would this bother you?
>>
>>834024
same with anti-tick condoms. you need at least one or two per day /out/. lady at the pharmacy counter gonna think you're running a brothel. it can get expensive but they really work.
>>
>>833798
>taking a shit 2m next to the trail and leaving toilet paper everywhere
Assholes. Why didn't they just go in the river like a true sc/out/?
>>
File: IMG_20151011_075636.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151011_075636.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>834024
> expensive

100% pure.
>>
>>834119
Cashmere while a fine wool has some very different properties than merino. What's your point anon?
>>
File: IMG_20160321_050929.jpg (922KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160321_050929.jpg
922KB, 2048x1536px
>>834128
> point
Suck it @ $7/pr.
>>
>>833503
Spotted the commiefornian
>>
File: DSC_0156.jpg (719KB, 1200x803px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0156.jpg
719KB, 1200x803px
>>833616
>>834141
More people go into the outdoors with guns in California than any other state
>>
>>834168
bears
>>
>>834130
what am i supposed to be looking at
i cant see through this potato
>>
>>833973
scandinavian prices are adjusted to our high wages, that is why foreigners think it's an expensive place to visit and we always think everything is cheap as fuck when we go abroad.
>>
>>834119
>>834130
Merino wool is nothing like Cashmere wool in both function and feel. It is like the difference between army wool blankets and silk sheets. Enjoy your bargain bin wool.

>>834168
Except for Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, West Virginia, Alaska, and Arkansas.

I'm sure AK and WV have the most of all of them with actual people in the woods with firearms. AR, probably has the least of all of them. If you've ever been in AK or WV during a hunting season, it literally sounds like a warzone; especially in WV. AK not as much unless you are sorta near populated areas. In WV you may hear about 50 gunshots per minute on opening day for deer season; no joke.
>>
>>834270
Ozark AR here. Have you ever been to the Ozarks during hunting season?

I think it was The American Rifleman who wrote, that during hunting season Arkansas has - counting the number of armed people running around innawoods - the fourth or fifth largest "infantry" in the world.

Seriously: They call it "The natural state" for a reason.
>>
>>834275
>Have you ever been to the Ozarks during hunting season?

Yes. Still not as bad as the others.
>>
>>834270
What stats are you trying to show me? I lived in Wyoming. Obviously less people go /out/ armed there vs. California because only 500k people live there. Same goes for the other states you listed. If you cut the major metro areas out of any state (except for states that have nothing else like RI and DC) for your map all the states would look about the same. Here's a shocking statistic: people in rural areas own guns. If you go out on opening day in CA in an easy to access area you hear nonstop gunshots too, mostly hmongs accidentally (or maybe not accidentally) shooting eachothers dogs with SKSs
>>
>>833862
That tarp is cut in very specific catenary curves so as to enable it to be pitched as tightly as possible. A cheap tarp pitched like that would be loose and flappy and collect water if it rained.

Also it weighs half as much and takes up much less space than a cheap tarp.
>>
ITT: bunch of faggots getting mad at something that is nothing of their business.
Get fuck y'all, people can wear/do what the fuck they want as long they're not harming others, get over yourselves.
>>
>>833502
Fucking this, famalam
>>
>>833569
I was with you until you mentioned wearing jeans whilst /out/, that's just fucking retarded.
>>
File: 2323.jpg (45KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
2323.jpg
45KB, 533x800px
>>834345
>ironic post is ironic
>>
>>833743
Why is batonning wood done? As a survival technique it makes no sense. Just go find sticks and branches and burn those. At what point would you ever need to process logs with a knife while /out/
>>
>>834524
Spoken like a true /in/
>>
>>834524
See
>>833944
>>833945
>>833947

For a proper answer.

See
>>834544

For a luddite.
>>
>>833897
I find family being a big problem also. Its the same with me and my sister. But my sister is a whack job that has to make drama out of everything. I removed her ass a long time ago but she keeps trying to add me then calls me "immature" and saying that I have to add her. Bitch plz, I dont need to add you or even have to have this fuckin account. I didnt have one in the past and Ill be fine without one.

So yea, she has to make drama out of everything in my life, post stuff to try to put me down or to make me look like a bad person, or she thinks im "hiding stuff". Fuck when I was younger she would try to snoop on my computers and other peoples computers that I was working on. Because she thinks Im "hiding stuff". Besides my computers she would go into my room, pretty much toss stuff around and make a fuckin mess just to snoop. then she steals something, then leaves. Had to put a fuckin paddle lock on my door when i wasn't home or even inside of the house.
>>
>>833475
Whats wrong with being naked, you a fag or something?
>>833476
Kek
>>833490
This
>>833502
I do this in the forest almost every single time I go to the woods and it is extremely effective at sectioning wood, you would not be able to section the wood otherwise. In fact, a hatchet can be no where near as precise when you are sectioning logs that are under 6 inches which is very typical for our type of forests.
>>833503
>being afraid of guns
>>833538
The only true /out/ reply
>>833569
Humans have a natural inclination for organizing and dictating specialized uses for things, it is a very good skill to have called optimization. If you are very good at surviving with basics and low amounts of things you may actually be good at mininalism but given a lot of things to work with you would be less skilled in their operation, despite your superior survival skills. To each their own.
>>833583
Most outdoorsmen are extremely wealthy because to be an outdoorsmen you have to pay the Government metric dickloads of money just to do it legally.
>>833611
What are you even doing with your life if you don't carry a knife that has the purpose of being abused
>>833656
You fucking loser, "God I fucking hate things that have utility value, I wish the whole world rained fucking mazda miatas and mini skirts" is basically what you say when you're saying
>>
>>833658
Let the normies play outside you dick, also camo is a fashion and as a man I have hardly any sort of opinion on fashion. I wake up. I put on clothes. I go to work and bust my ass and come home. I probably couldnt tell you what shirt Im wearing without looking.
>>833815
Some people learn to respect themselves by completing difficult challenges, you seem to be a person that respects yourself without any valid reason. One is worse than the other.
>>833944
Batoning and sectioning wood is completely absolutely acceptable. Why do you judge something so effective by the retards slamming a knife into a stump?
>>834168
You dirty fuckin liar
>>
>>835022
So you can only face a difficult challenge with cheap, shitty gear.

I see.
>>
>>835048
>hmm I want to see what it was like to live hundreds of years ago as well as I can try

>I better go to REI asap
>>
>>833611
Pepsi strikes again!
>>
>>835050
Not everyone gives a shit about how people lived x amount of years ago and im sure those people like myself challenge themselves in other ways than if they can survive outdoors with shitty gear

I use the outdoors to escape and relax. You use the outdoors like a fucking neckbeard who has something to prove
>>
>>835114
No I actually don't, some people are completely comfortable sleeping on dirt. Some of us don't have an irrational fear of being uncomfortable, actually most of the world doesn't. You are a minority in your comfortability.
>>
>>835140
Im not afraid of being uncomfortable, but that doest mean Im going to purposely make myself so when I have the option of spending some disposable income and make my time out all that better

Sleeping in the dirt is not a challenge. Camping is not a challenge. Purposely putting yourself in the wilderness with shitty gear just to see what happens doesnt make you a survivalist, it makes you a moron.

In what world does gear make all that much of a difference anyway? A cheap knife does exactly the same job as a expensive one, as with a tent or sleeping bag.
>>
>>835022
Unless your going /out/ with literally nothing at all for days at a time there shouldnt ever be much of a challenge buddy
>>
>>833475
people freaking out over me wearing jeans.
Why do y'all care what I wear?

They're soft as fuck, fit perfectly, support my junk, dont bind and I'm not stupid and wear them when it's raining.
>>
>>833620
You got your wallet cucked by REI but stay Nu-mad, nu-male
>>
>>835022
>Batoning and sectioning wood is completely absolutely acceptable.

Only it isn't, if you are using a knife to do it.
>>
>>835151
Look. Imagine for a second you want to feel the aesthetics of the wild west era. So you pack some cast iron with you. Is that super ultra fancy gear? No. Is it comfortable? Nope. Is there a good reason for it? Yes.

Your skin is REALLY thin, bro.

>>835156
>he doesn't like climbing or swimming or kayaking, among countless other recreational activities that will sap most of your energy for the day

>>835161
Jeans are god tier for /out/

>>835171
You cearly misunderstand the technique. It is literally just wood working if you are doing it correctly.
>>
A wish that lifestraw fad would go away. The thing is literally garbage along with ANY other device where you suck water to purify it. You use far too much time and energy and will be broken after a couple uses. Will not keep you alive for a week, but everyone has one... I guess they just haven't tested them
>>
>>835181
Im confused by your reply. Do you pick an era for when you go out and pretend that you lived in that era while out? Cause thats retarded, your literally just playing dress up

I use a cast iron pan most times i camp because most times i camp i kayak out to a spot so weight isnt an issue. Not sure your point on that one
I feel like your just such a sperglord something is lost in translation here.

You consider kayaking, climbing or swimming a challenge? I do all 3 pretty often (not climbing all that often but maybe twice a year) and they can be a little physically exhausting but calling them a challenge is a stretch. If you went innawoods with literally nothing and tried to survive fo weeks, thats a challenge

AND YOU STILL HAVENT TOLD ME HOW HAVING MORE EXPENSIVE GEAR MAKES IT LESS OF A CHALLENGE

Fuck your dumb. Have you ever actually went outside?
>>
>>835022
Seems like you respect yourself simply because you see yourself as above anyone who wears a synthetic jacket or expensive pack

that's called being an elitist, also known as "being a cunt"

No one looks down on you for using less expensive shit because no one who actually goes outside tends to care about what gear other people use or wear- you're the only one here who's shitting on other people for the stuff they bring into the woods
>>
>>835182
They have tested them tho
Lifestraws are actually legit. I drank water out of a lake that previously gave me diarrhea when unfiltered, used a lifestraw and i was fine

WHO sends them to africa and shit
>>
>>835193
No I have all of those pieces of gear and training is very different on every level. I am defending the utilization of minimal gear and/or gear you would have as a handyman or soldier as opposed to a heavily dedicated outdoors trail ultralight speedrunner sponsored by Nike(so goddamn unrealistic man).

You are just accustomed to a style of life that less that 10% of humans have, however ALL of us are entitled to going /out/. Dipshit.
>>
File: 213213.jpg (159KB, 993x452px) Image search: [Google]
213213.jpg
159KB, 993x452px
>>835181
>It is literally just wood working if you are doing it correctly.

Woodworking batoning uses gouges and froes.
>>
>>835219
Those are both pieces of wood that are well over 6 inches
>>
>>835321
>logical fallacy the post
>>
>>835335
Just admit that you are being a complete fool
>>
>>835343
You are the one abusing tools.
>>
>>835364
This is a lie. Tools are not rare antique china. You have a massive festering vagina.
>>
>>835389
+1

That's the difference between buying a good tool and a cheap tool. Good tools will take a little abuse beyond their intended purpose without failing and will last a lifetime of reasonable use.
>>
>>835392
That's also so loaded. You can make chinese garbage last a long goddamn time and sometimes it is better than designer fagwear.
>>
>>834130
I have those Hanes.

Comfy as a motherfucker.
>>
>>834333
AR is definitely up there for states with guns in the woods
>>
>>833503
Nobody is going to accidentally shoot you honey. Dick Cheney was trying to kill that guy.
>>
>>835364
It's not abuse when the tool was designed to be used that way. A knife made of spring steel is not particularly delicate.
>>
I dont like it when people smoking marjuyana outside its impoliee
>>
>>833503
I remeber I was in an abandoned fire lookout and there were some fucking chipmunks ducking around keeping me up. Got sick of it so I took out a Gov. Model 1911 and had a one sided gunfight wirh some rodents to get them to fuck off. Never killed one, never wanted to. They fucked off and the next morning I woke up with chipmunk shit around my stuff and about around dozen or so spent casings around, and a concentration of dents in the wood.
Also try cucking your way out of a wolves' stare after its been starving and traveling over several mountain ranges for food.
>>
>>835409
Well yeah if you take a Chinese piece of shit, toss it in a box or only cut foam with it it's going to last ages.
>>
File: Knives Broken Baton.jpg (369KB, 979x717px) Image search: [Google]
Knives Broken Baton.jpg
369KB, 979x717px
>>835389
>>835392
>>835409
>>835632
>>835480
Knives are not meant to be used with batoning, ever. Stop being a child and use a proper axe.
>>
>>835188
Not even him, and I agree with the bulk of your post, but:
>Im
>Cause
>thats
>your
>isnt
>your
>fo
>thats
>HAVENT
>your
>went

Are you twelve?
>>
>>835676
Eh can't expect great grammar here, and i post from my phone
>>
>>835678
Actually you can. 4chan is a website where people generally have good grammar, believe it or not.
>>
File: 1467594708454.png (96KB, 1556x532px) Image search: [Google]
1467594708454.png
96KB, 1556x532px
>>835678
>>
File: image.jpg (239KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
239KB, 1000x600px
It takes a real pos it make me rage when out. But hearing or seeing one of these tear up my habitat makes me lose my shit.
Kill them all.
>>
>>834524
>Just go find sticks and branches and burn those.
Not everyone lives innadesert.
>>
>>835713
I don't live in a desert and sticks and twigs are all I use for my fires. Even after a week of rain in driving rain I can still build a fire and cook a meal with them.
>>
>>835658
When in doubt, reassert your position forcefully and call the other guy a child. Everyone will know you're a badass internet debater.
>>
>>833535
>ur people made all this happen
The cry of the mellinial.
>>
>>833907
No, he's Brad's Drink. Brad is the one who drinks pepsifag.
>>
>>835729
I suppose "child" is better than "massive festering vagina."

Seems like people who abuse tools also abuse people.
>>
>>835731
like 99% of people on 4chan is fucking millenials, I don't get when this word became the hot new insult

if you're born from 1982 onward, you're a fucking millenial
>>
>>835828
But I'm conservative.
>>
>>835857
So you're an asshole millennial?
>>
>>835857
And that makes you a faggot.
>>
>>835887
>>835991
/bread
>>
4chan

i wish i could leave
>>
>>836093
This.
>the ride never ends
>>
File: 20150203_160935.jpg (450KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20150203_160935.jpg
450KB, 2048x1152px
>>833619
your the best namefag, provocative and sometimes wrong
>>
>>835678
I haven't used a phone keyboard that didn't auto-correct grammar in probably four years, what jankey-ass keyboard are you using?
>>
>>833945
I think it has more to do with the heat-treating and thickness of the knife, the steel used in it's construction, and the type of wood than anything else.

Proper heat-treating can turn even the smallest knife into a splitting machine via increased shock absorbance. 5160 Spring Steel is supposedly GOAT for survival knives due to it's density or something. High-end Nepalese Khukhuri knives are made from 5160, also precisely heat-treated. You can throw anything short of a volcano at them.

Get a BIG knife to baton with, /OUT/. Stop trying to split wood with anemic Gucci shit made by European KEKS who know nothing about a proper knife, stop using poorly-made American "MIL-SPEC" knives with shitty rat-tail tangs. STOP. USING. SHIT.

Bring a 20" Axe, or bring a big, thick knife. Simple as that.
>>
>>835702
If they make camp, sneak in and cut the brakes.

Don't get mad. Get even.
>>
>>835658
You know what all these knives have in common? They're factory produced and likely very poorly heat-treated as a result. As-such, they're anemic. No shock resistance whatsoever.
>>
>>835480
This guy gets it. It's the brittle high-carbon steel, and the imprecise industrial heat-treating that's making these knives break.
>>
>>836104
I disabled auto correct on my phone because its a pain in the ass, i always had to proof read texts to make sure it didnt completely change any words

A few spelling mistakes i can live with, replacing entire words i cannot
>>
>>836642
cold rolled steel mother fuck!
>>
>>836643
>>836642
If factory heat treatment was "imprecise" by nature, then we'd have bigger issues than brittle knives...like buildings falling down.
>>
File: 1459538388028.jpg (646KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1459538388028.jpg
646KB, 700x700px
>>833503

BOO!!!
>>
File: dady.jpg (37KB, 600x330px) Image search: [Google]
dady.jpg
37KB, 600x330px
>>836641
>>
>>836778
that's a pretty gun
>>
>>836643
High carbon steel is what is used in files not knives.

Abuse makes the knives break, not heat treating.

I should know, I have a ceramic knife. I've never abused it. It's never broken. (pic not mine)
>>
>>836884
my opinel is high carbon steel, but it's true that the higher carbon content the more brittle but the sharper you can get it.

basically it's the wrong tool for the job and isn't designed to withstand such impacts, if you break it then you buy another one and learn to not bang rocks and shit on your knives. if you don't then you keep banging it till it breaks
>>
>>836884
>>836895
High carbon steel is defined as .6% - 1% carbon content. This encompasses all blade-making steels except those that are considered ultra high carbon steel. More carbon lets you make the steel harder without excessive brittleness.

Lots of outdoors knives are made of spring steel, which generally has close to 1% carbon and nobody would call that brittle.

If the heat treatment is botched, you can end up with a knife that will take an edge just fine (it's hard), but has a rather low yield strength (it breaks easily).
>>
>>836778
I don't like how far up that sight is, it's bothering me
>>
>>835188
>I don't like what you do! That makes it irrelevant!
>I never had to hike my shit in! Fuck you!
*you're
>you're just a pussy! I do all 3 pretty often! Except not that often! Physical differences don't exist, pussy!
*for
>I don't know how having expensive gear works! Even though I just explained it with
>"they can be a little physically exhausting but calling them a challenge is a stretch. If you went innawoods with literally nothing and tried to survive fo weeks, thats a challenge"
>Yuoure retard!
*youre
So did I miss anything here?
>>
>>836678
It's not about you though, you're not the one reading the posts. And nobody else wants you typing like a child. Either use your spellcheck or don't, but take the time to make your posts not shit. This isn't such a fast board that you can't find the time.
>>
>>833658
I like you anon
>>
>>833503
>bringing one of the most important survival tools avaliable with you out into nature where they are intended to be used. A tool that could also very likely save your fucking life and potentially score you some good meat.
>fad

You leftist fucks will never cease to be blindly retarded will you?

But no youre right ill just end up mass killing a school for the deaf and retarded. Full of children with my bolt action hunting rifle.
>>
File: iisaaki_jarvenpaa_puukko_6283_4.jpg (36KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
iisaaki_jarvenpaa_puukko_6283_4.jpg
36KB, 800x532px
>>835658
Those are all in all horrible knives to start with, most unsuited to batoning. As is the wood pictured. The logs are too big and had branches growing where they were being hit. That was asking for it. Though of course people think 'this batoning shit is horrible' rather than evaluate their choice of stupid knives.

I perhaps wouldn't use the hand-made knife from a reputable craftsman in pic related for batoning if I had any alternative. But that's the kind of a tool that is well suited for batoning kindle. It is very easy to chop a small piece of wood into long match-sized sticks.
>>
>>837277
it depends on the situation. a lot of people walk around with their muhgun strapped to their thigh purely for affectation. like, you don't need to be packing and flaunting just to drive up mount washington to get a hot dog at the restaurant and drive back down. but people do it. it's just a faggy accessory.

now if you're doing real camping, especially for longer than a few days, the gun is something you should have. sadly, nobody will be there to see how cool you are though.
>>
File: BUSHYCRAFT.jpg (8KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
BUSHYCRAFT.jpg
8KB, 267x189px
>>837383
ME LOVE BATONNY CHOPPY CHOPPY CHOPPY!!!! CHOPPY BATONNY BATONNY BATONNY!!
>>
File: 1427191432423.jpg (88KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
1427191432423.jpg
88KB, 300x400px
>>836097
Do you use Five Fingers for summer as well, have you ever gone barefoot? Just asking madagascar, interested. Still dislike them, just wondering.
>>
>>837513
>>836097
>Dr Dræ
>Madagascar
>having a squabble
all we need is Soccer Tees and Bugs McGhee and it's a proper 4chan shitshow
>>
>>835181
>wearing jeans /out/

Sure hope you're not doing anything more intensive than a light stroll in fall weather. Cotton is fucking miserable for any sort of hiking.
>>
>>837667
Nah, cotton is great when it fits right and it's warm and dry. Doesn't feel clammy and get smelly like synthetics. Not so good when it gets wet, but in a warm summer rain it's still tolerable.

Source: I actually go outside sometimes, instead of watching other people go out on youtube.
>>
>>833658
I have a milsurp jacket. It's very warm and durable, and cost me around 13 poonds on eBay. I can understand not liking consumer camouflage with bright orange and purple amoebas though
>>
>>837811
>I actually go outside sometimes
Is it as scary as it looks?
>>
>>833475
>batoning
>foldable shovels
>tactical gear
>memeclothing
>memephones
>firesteels
>fruit leather
>beef jerky
>moras
>>
File: img-thing.png (54KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.png
54KB, 300x300px
>>838355
but beef jerky is good tho

i agree with the rest
>>
>>838355
>firesteels
fuck, man. Every single autistic wannabe outdoorsman from cub scouts on up has one and I don't fucking get it.
>heavier than any other firestarter
>can't compare to bic lighter
>more work than a bow and drill
triggers me every time I see one
>>
>Tactical gear
>Batoning
>"survivalists" that never experienced rain, snow or even cold weather.
>People claiming that that their walmart jeans are good enough for them that you shouldn't need anything better.
>Arc'tterx, Patagona, Columbia, Nike, Addidas and Northface shit everywhere.
>Jeeps
>Reddit
>Everything normies has to be posted on social media
>>
>>833571
I think anon was saying many people aren't enjoying being /out/ so much as enjoying their shiny /out/ gear.

I think the overall problem being pointed out is that materialism, consumerism, etc. are creeping into outdoor pursuits, and outdoor pursuits have typically been an escape from that sort of shit.
>>
>>838355
How is beef jerky a fad? It's the oldest and best way to keep meat edible without refrigeration. People have been eating it for thousands of years.
>>
>>838355
What's your beef with foldable shovels?
>>
>>838355
and what's your beef with jerky
>>
>>839951

you need to get laid mate
>>
>>840010

You're the one that needs to get laid. Go back you reddit, normie.
>>
>>839951
So you don't like jeans, you don't like tactical gear, and you don't like outdoors brands. What the hell do you wear when /out/?
>>
>>840040
I go naked, like nature intended!
>>
>>840040
He unironically used the term "normies". He doesn't go out.
>>
Maybe not necessarily fads but
>people decked out in north face to walk quarter mile trails in national parks
>tour buses of Asians
>selfie sticks
>lifted trucks/jeeps that never leave pavement
>people with no trail etiquette
>people who leave trash on the trails especially smokers leaving their goddamn butts everywhere
>>
>>833615
your mistake was wearing cotton, not wearing non-synthetic materials. anyone who takes cotton outdoors for days at a time, especially in wet conditions, deserves to be cold.
>>
>>838879
weighs about twice the weight of a lighter which is nothing, can produce over 1.2m fires if eat strike was the same and made a fire. Less work then a drill and far easier then a drill. Easiest way to make a fire outside of matches and lighters.
>>
>>840015
What if you hunt?

Milsurp camo is pretty shit compared when it comes to waterfowl especially
>>
>>837827
Thats cool you got a cheap jacket just know that most people who see you will either assume youre in the military or are autistic
>>
>>838879
>can't compare to bic lighter
my bic ligher got wet and stopped working for a while, the firestill was still throwing sparks

you're literally retarded if you think a Bic is more dependable than a fire steel

>more work than a bow and drill
Now you're just being silly.
>>
>>835658
Wait, so people are "batoning" big ass fucking logs over there? I use it to make kindling from young birches I've sawn down with a camp saw, nothing else. And I'm using a greasy half-eroded mauser bayonet borrowed from my father even then.
>>
>>835690
Muh highbrow sekrit club. Fuck off grandpa
>>
>>837827
>>840604
Most people don't autisticly catalogue what people they saw were wearing. Dress like a clown and you'll be in people's minds for max a day. No one gives a shit what you wear and if they do, people are too chickenshit to say anything anyways.
>>
>>833723
I buy nice shoes and good pants cuz I want them to fit and last for a long time. I'm still wearing the hybrid hiking shorts that I bought a few years ago.
>>
>>835182
Is this meme? I've used mine for three years and it does the job. Sometimes it's a bitch to blow out the water though.
>>
>>840683
Your right in that most people wont say something to your face about it, but they will talk to each other about it behind your back, ive done it before numerous times. If i saw someone wearing a milsurp jacket daily it would definetly stick in my mind.

And if it was camo, i would assume you are either military or autismo
>>
>>840813
boo fucking hoo, some gossiping autist would catalogue an /out/ist because he's wearing milsurp gear, how embarrassing for the /out/ist
jesus christ man
>>
>>836778
>sight on anything other than the upper
have fun losing zero
>>
>>841392
Why in all that is holy would you pop a vest over a suit.
>>
>>833743
Most people do it wrong, there's no reason to split wood like that. I baton off small pieces just to get the fire going then I throw larger pieces on top. It's easy on the knife and it works better than an axe for that task.
>>
>>841406
this , saw someone wear light blue denim jeans with a black suit. the shoes were these 2 shades of brown too , disgusting. Fashion now is apparently trying to casualize formal clothing
>>
File: stop JB.jpg (14KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
stop JB.jpg
14KB, 288x288px
>>838355
>batoning
:how about how the fuck am i going to get a big green log to actually start burning with a few shavings of whatever the shit you brought in your little tinderbox.. next.
>foldable shovel
pretty useful to have with you esp because now you dont need to carry a FUCKING AXE to process wood.
>tactical gear
Listen to me, no matter what you wear some sperglord is going to flip their shit on a "Bangladeshi Kite testing forum" so just wear what you want and for the love of god stop soiling your pansy ass hankerchiefs over it.
>memeclothing
See above.
>memephones
wat?
>firesteels
wow a way to make fire.. Cool, impress your friends!
>fruit leather
I s2g dont you dear talk shit about my dried camping snacks i will fucking kill you
>beef jerky
prefect thing to choke you with when i find out you're talking shit about my dried snacks.
>moras
HURR DURR KNIFES ARE BAD AND STUPID WHY WOULD YOU BRING THAT LOLOL ITS SO CHEAP AND USELESS.. shut up just shut the fuck up and go outside for a day. Dont bring any of it fuck it, or bring it all and the kitchen sink....

You see, I learned something today. it doesnt matter if you are a tacticool spaceage operator or some out /fa/ fag who just wants to make other out /fa/fags judge you for your choice in brands. the point is GOING AND GETTING OUTSIDE FOR SHITS SAKE.... fuck im so tired of seeing all you elitist fucks bitching about what is the "better" way to do something that mankind has been doing for fucking ever....
/rant
>>
File: rly niggA.png (296KB, 668x437px) Image search: [Google]
rly niggA.png
296KB, 668x437px
>>841953
and no i didnt mean process wood with the fucking shovel FFS
>>
File: P1230296.jpg (5MB, 4480x2520px) Image search: [Google]
P1230296.jpg
5MB, 4480x2520px
Those may have lead their maker to a better place.
>>
File: 1350855715308.jpg (111KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1350855715308.jpg
111KB, 500x500px
>>841392
>I mean camouflage as a fashion statement.
original surplus operator multiscam gillet: $25
fashon tryhard wannabe camo gillet: $250
>>
>>833475
>fat people camping
>camping for reasons other than fitness
>camping in a forest
>comfort camping
>not camping for reason other than protection against harsh conditions on a climb
>>
>>833614
You pay to go outdoors
>>
>>842698
so what you're saying is that you don't like anyone other than you camping?
>>
File: 12462132563.jpg (2MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
12462132563.jpg
2MB, 2160x3840px
>>842172

god
>>
>>836641
you fucks are like the shitty hikers setting up booby traps for mountain bikers
>>
>>843563
>Actually getting upset about that
Aww, did the biker get caught in babys first mantrap?
>>
>>843535
>this landscape
>unique
looks like shit compared to the places i've been to
>>
>>833600
This. Upgrading my gear made being outdoors more enjoyable. We're not all poorfags.
>>
>>843586
Unique =!= good
>>
>>843535
Too many tourist in ireland in order to enforce that.
>>
File: 1036800-2.jpg (29KB, 960x520px) Image search: [Google]
1036800-2.jpg
29KB, 960x520px
Le epic XDD bear grylls firestriker.

Just buy a fucking bic lighter, even the tiny one will last longer than you're able to survive without computers
>>
>>843680
>ironic memeing
>Common cheap firestarter that is basically failproof is bad
Wow anon, you sure are one tremendous faggot
>>
>>843680
The BIC lighter meme pisses me off.

The last time I used them was on a 14 day mountaineering course in Alaska.

My group burned up basically 1 BIC every day or two and we were just using them to light gas stoves. I had a fucking box of matches that was able to light more stoves.

I never take those things anywhere. Stormproof matches + firesteel only.
>>
>>840665
How did you manage to get your lighter wet? Plastic bags too much to ask for?
>>
>>838355
I agree with firesteels, which is hypocritical and because of you i will feel guilt every time i use one. I think i like them so much because uncle Ray and Paul Kirtley use them and because the sparks amuse my autist mind But yeah, they're pointless unless you go canoeing or something. >>838879
Maybe it's just me but i find it really easy to use them and prefer them over matches and lighters
>>
>>841953
Wow, you have some strong opinions there mate, must be awful to live in a world seemingly populated only by idiots apart from yourself
>>
Hiking pants. I think it's pretty hilarious people think they need $120 special adventure pants made of 'technical fabric' to be in the woods for a couple days.
>>
>>844455
"firesteels" are fine though, don't let yourself be fooled into feeling bad about using one just because dumb asses use them too. I mean would you quit breathing air just because some guy you didn't like also drew breath?

Anyways, that guy is probably retarded/pretending to be retarded anyways, since any particular 'firesteel' thing is probably within 15~ grams of a bic and certainly isn't hard to use. Though, come to think of it he might be confusing 'firesteels' with "flint and steel" since 'heavy, crap compared to a bic, and hard to use' do apply to those.
>>
File: Woody Guthrie.jpg (1MB, 2926x3677px) Image search: [Google]
Woody Guthrie.jpg
1MB, 2926x3677px
>>833870
>>837277
>mfw left-leaning Social Democrat who enjoys guns as a hobby but gets lumped in with these people >>833503
>>
File: wns-hike-jacket__07432.jpg (96KB, 354x236px) Image search: [Google]
wns-hike-jacket__07432.jpg
96KB, 354x236px
>>833475
Neon bright clothing. You're in nature. Go neutral/earth tones or go home.
>>
>>844929
>Not signaling your danger/toxicity to predators
It's like you want to be eaten.
>>
>>844655
You do realize you're clumping dozens of brands together? Sure Fjällraven cost upwards of $120, but they're designed to last a lifetime AND be comfortabe, a rare combo. But there are certainly other brands that make great pants for much less than $100, Pinewood, 5.11, Heliko-Tex or plain old military surplus pants. Not everyone lives in a climate where you can just freely wear jeans year round.
>>
>>844933
oh... i do it so people can find me easily if something were to happen
>>
I hate the people who go out and purchase expensive kit like Fjällraven because they see uncle Ray wearing it even though they're fresh to the whole "bushcraft" thing, on that note, i DESPISE with a passion people who think call themselves bushcrafters and go out only to show off their fancy kit despite not knowing how to use it
>>
>>844929
Yes go in neutral colors that way if shit happens noone will see you, or in Murica you'll get shot by some trigger happy cross-eyed buck toothed inbred hick that's hunting deer probably illegally
>>
>>844929
It's actually encouraged to wear bright colors, especially during hunting season.
>>
>>845030
I despise anybody who calls themself a bushcrafter.
>>
>>845270
I know, i partake in some things considered "bushcraft" but i would never consider myself one, but it's mostly just become every British guys' midlife crisis hobby and then the rest of the idiots on youtube see them doing it and wanna do it too and then there ends up being an excess of stupid people in Fjällraven and with GB Small forest axes and overpriced **bushcraft** knives made by some other midlife cunt and they cut down half the fucking trees for their **primitive survival shelter**
>>
>>833475
Did they cross streams?
>>
>>833490
My brand would be called
Öůtbŕænden
>>
>>834524
There's only one possible scenario I can fathom:

You're given a piece of cedar that has been soaking in a barrel of water for 24 hours and you are in a race to build a fire using nothing but a large sheath knife because Carl forgot the axe. You have 3 matches and you're competing against other groups in the same scenario.
>>
>>836749
Jet fuel melts steel beams
>>
>>845122
>hunting deer probably illegally
Nah. We do that at night. Corn and a spotlight, ya know?
>>
>>845527
Cleetus just because you didn't get caught doesn't mean you didn't poach
>>
File: Laughing 2.jpg (22KB, 204x240px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing 2.jpg
22KB, 204x240px
>>845458
>Öůtbŕænden
Hearty kek
>>
>>833490
That's like complaining if an American brand has the letters x,y or ch, sh,q etc., the brands are Swedish of course they'll have fucking Swedish letters in them you moron. Overexpensive for some people, there are others that don't mind spending a bit more for that extra durability and comfort, but this being /out/, any pants that aren't jeans or cost over $25 are overpriced cuck gear, boots should be quadruple stitched with paracord and anything that isn't a Mora, Opinel or some shitty chink recycled toilet seat lid knife isn't worth the money and is also cuck gear.
>>
>>833798
>running shoes
A good pair of trail runners is better for hiking than strapping 10 pounds rubber, leather and goretex to your feet and wondering why you have so many dicks in your ass.
>>
>>834336
NHB using absolute numbers instead of per capita makes the discussion meaningless.

CA has the most people going out with guns, going out without guns, going out at all, most old people, most young people, etc. But that doesn't give you an accurate representation of the demographics of the state.
>>
>>833810
Just set the account to private.
Unless you have coworkers that you hang out with and take pictures of you doing stuff there's no way for anything to happen.
>>
>>835216
>people are dicks if they shit on others for buying stuff more expensive than _____ threshold
>no, people that use gear below that threshold are completing a difficult challenge and entitled to feel superior
>stop caring about what other people are doing
>everyone is allowed to go outside, stop trying to stop people that don't buy ____ threshold of gear, we're allowed to go out too!
NHB I think you misunderstood the conversation. Also I'm a carpenter by trade and don't know what you mean by "handyman gear" since most tools I have and use would not be suited for camping or backpacking. Neither would the tools used for plumbing, mud, electric, etc.

I put "____ threshold" because most of the time it seems people define "those rich assholes" starting at anybody with $1 more than them on up.
>>
>>835658
>Knives are not meant to be used with batoning, ever.
>implying a froe is not a knife
>implying a wedge is not a knife
>>
>>836778
I find this sexually arousing...
>>
>>845645
If you're going to act superior to someone, be sure that you understand what they were saying.
>>
>>845645
>poach
Damage stamps mother fucker.
>>
>>845516
No. It doesn't. Steel loses its structural integrity at ~1000F
>>
>>833571
did you even read what he wrote?
>>
>>840813
Hows the sand in your vagina?
>>
>>836778
>When a supply drop actually gives you a good camo
>>
>>833490
>>Bær Poop

Bjorn kúkur
>>
>>833490
>Boreälcůck
Dude watch out its a Boreälcůck if you're not careful he will make you fuck his wife to decrease your hiking range!
>>
>>836778
That looks horrendous.
>>
>>845660
Cry me a river, Boreälcůck
>>
>>833658

I'm sick of the "woodland" camouflage. That shit is seriously a racket made to get simpletons to buy it. Milsurp is fine.
>>
>all the people itt that don't know how to baton correctly

Yes batoning is stupid as fuck. No its not going to wreck your knife unless you are a retard about it. Go buy an axe or a hatchet if you are going to chop up wood. If you really need to baton, don't fucking baton right through the center of the log. Look it up in youtube.
>>
>>833475
I'm really tired of this human thing. It needs to end. We get the joke. You think sociopathy and demon-worship is real funny. We get it. Haha. Now end it.
>>
>>848632
I'm more tired of this biotic fad, I mean seriously, it was kind of funny for the first \billion years, but now they are starting to get really uppity and full of themselves.
>>
>>838355
>beef jerky
But that shit's amazing, it lasts a long time and it's very nutritious
>>
>>840813
>but they will talk to each other about it behind your back, ive done it before numerous times
So you basically give two fucks, while they give none? And you don't even say that to their face so maybe they can care half as much as you do?
>>
File: 1472498467896.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1472498467896.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>844739
I know that feel...
>>
>>833619
>not wood sandels
>>
>>835194
who in their right mind sends them to africa
>>
>>845660
Being mad because he fell for the mora meme.
>>
>>845268
If a hunter so shoots my immediate direction. And I hear the wiz. Hed better hope he killed me because I'm coming to his ass with equal force.
>>
>>849127
>And I hear the wiz.
ok, kid.
>>
>>846731
A froe is a froe, not a knife
A wedge is not a kbife, but a knife is a wedge
>>
>>836778
I'm gonna be sick
Thread posts: 289
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.