[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Duke of Edinburgh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: GHXVWQcA.jpg (15KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
GHXVWQcA.jpg
15KB, 400x400px
First visit to /out/ so play nice

I am doing the expedition section for the gold D of E award, in the Peak District (as me and my group are poor fags and we can't go abroad)

4 Days and 3 nights + a night at the beginning after travelling, and we cannot buy any food whilst on expedition, in a group of six people.

Any tips/advice/stories from past experience?

>inb4 underage b&
Started award at 17 but 18 now
>>
I've finished mine, did it in Dartmoor and the Brecon Beacons

What are you wanting to know?

General tips
>break your boots in beforehand I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH
> Have dry socks for each day, your feet will get fucked up if they get wet
> Use the right clothing material. Dont be retarded and hike in jeans, cotton also sucks in my experience. others may argue otherwise.
>Make sure you know how to set up your tent before you go. If you try and set it up for the first time in twilight after youve walked 20 km, youre going to have a bad time
> People will get grouchy walking 20km a day if theyre not experienced, dont hold it against them
> Pay attention to hypothermia/heatstroke signs, it happens
> Stay fucking hydrated. I go through liters of the shit. Little things you can drop in your water to make it taste better/add electrolytes(tm) can help as morale boost
> You can make your own trailmix with raisins/nuts/M&Ms and graze as you walk, the rest keep you fueled and the m&ms give a good happy boost when you get one.
> Dont bring shit you dont need. It might sound like a great idea, but youll be regretting it on day 3 when your feet hate you
> Use a drysack (or trashbags etc) to keep clothes etc dry. nothing sucks more than trying to sleep in a wet sleeping bag. seriously. keep that shit dry. If using trashbags, double bag with the ties at different ends
> Dont fucking litter OR I SO HELP ME I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN
>>
> For the first night you can freeze a meal beforehand and let it thaw out during the first day. Bolognase works well.
> You want light and compact food, whos main weight is the water you add when you cook it. Pasta with sauce is a staple, along with porridge for breakfast. I found taking cured sausages that are pre wrapped (like the german stuff) and adding it to lunch/dinner made it taste a lot better. Also jam can help flavour the porridge, its pretty bland. Can get jam in soft packets that packs well for this
> Beef jerky is fucking awesome. Makes farts fucking awful. Lols with guys, awks with girls at 18
> Couscous for lunch in packets, make it each day at breakfast
> Come up with a team name, helps morale
> Umm
> You will sing stupid shit as you go. Have fun and learn some sea shanties before hand to confuse locals for lols
> OH
> Use zinc oxide tape and put it on your feet if you feel them rubbing (getting a hot spot). Do this as soon as you notice it and you wont get blisters, as the shoe rubs on the tape instead.
> Have fun

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, let me know if you have any questions. gl op
>>
>>832327
cheat
>>
DofE is piss easy
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.