[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey out Any of you also photographers? What camera do you use

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 16

File: uqzlLi9.jpg (59KB, 1168x782px) Image search: [Google]
uqzlLi9.jpg
59KB, 1168x782px
Hey out
Any of you also photographers?
What camera do you use when out?
Looking for something compact and lightweight but still take decent quality pictures
>>
Depends on what your goal is, the iphone and some others have a great camera on them and can do macro pretty well. an iphone 5 or newer will perform as well as almost any point and shoot

Something with interchangeable lenses if you need optical zoom, wide angle, long exposure, etc

Worrying about image quality isn't a real concern for anything made by a reputable company in the last 5 years is can produce amazing photos.
>>
>>831358
Look at some of the Canon Powershot SX cameras if you want something compact with a good lens and good zoom.

I use an old Canon SX130 with the CHDK firmware so I can shoot raw. Great image quality, has a really nice zoom for critters, and takes AA batteries so I can carry as many eneloops as I think I'll need. It's starting to get flaky though so I'm looking for a replacement.

Also have a DSLR and a mirrorless but the former is pretty bulky for and the latter has shit battery life if you can't charge it every night.

>>831360
>iphone 5 or newer will perform as well as almost any point and shoot
No it won't. It still has a cameraphone size sensor and no optical zoom which makes it extremely limiting for real photography unless all you want to take is wide angle landscapes on sunny days. All those "shot on an iphone" ads are just using it in ideal conditions.

>Worrying about image quality isn't a real concern for anything made by a reputable company in the last 5 years is can produce amazing photos.
Depends on your standards, I print big and exhibit and find some cheap cameras definitely lacking in quality.
>>
>>831367
your old ass powershot isn't going to compete with an iphone camera
>>
I have a sony alpha 5000 and am very happy with it
>>
File: Pentax-K-50-Weather-sealing.jpg (51KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
Pentax-K-50-Weather-sealing.jpg
51KB, 450x450px
>>831388
After much research into DSLRs, and budget pains, I bought myself a Pentax K-50. There isn't another DSLR on the market with weather sealing at its price point. I take it out in pouring rain and snow and I don't even worry about it. It is such a good camera OP. Dirt, dust, rain, dew, frost, the Pentax is impervious. Check youtube - people who get their K-50s dirty in the field actually wash them off in the shower. If you want the safest bet and total freedom I don't know what else you could buy without paying a thousand more... and even then it's still a Pentax tbqh. I've had it for almost 3 years now and it has survived everything. Nikon/Canonfags be mad.

https://youtu.be/sXv2HTQCK6k
>>
>>831358
I hike and Camp regularly with my Canon T4i. I've had it a couple of years now and it's still ticking. I have 3 different lenses that I usually take with me.
>>
File: IMG_20160327_135325578-XL.jpg (79KB, 433x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160327_135325578-XL.jpg
79KB, 433x768px
>>831358
>What camera do you use when out?
Several.
Big Nikon DSLR when I want good shots.
Smaller P&S when I want something decent, but don't want to drag around the Nikon and everything that goes with it.
Cameraphone, because it's easy and I've probably got it with me.
Helmet camera for POV stuff.

The P&S model I have is about 10 years old. It takes great photos (Sold a number of them).
There's a lot more to "taking a good picture" than just throwing a bunch of money at a fancy camera and pressing the button; and a cheap camera can produce great photos in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing with it.

>>831360
>anything made by a reputable company in the last 5 years is can produce amazing photos.
This.

>>831367
Also this.
>>
Fuji ga645zi
Medium format point and shoot
Zoom
Autofocus
autoexposure, exposure compensation, manual exposure
Motor winding
Integrated flash
Wow so modern !

Fits into a 200 round box pocket on my webbing 82.
>>
File: R_DSC_3884.jpg (229KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
R_DSC_3884.jpg
229KB, 1000x667px
>>831358
Nikon D3100 for the last 5 years. 35mm prime or 18-250mm zoom depending on what I am feeling.

Carry in a Lowepro Toploader.

Will upgrade eventually, but I'm honestly still learning. I just bought a tripod so I am going to take that /out/ with me at the end of the month for more experiments and practice.
>>
File: DSC_22961.jpg (503KB, 750x1125px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_22961.jpg
503KB, 750x1125px
>>831358
I use a nikon D3300 and it takes good enough pictures for me atm. I will probably end up upgrading later
>>
File: _IGP4722.jpg (4MB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
_IGP4722.jpg
4MB, 3872x2592px
>>831358
are you looking into wildlife or into landscape?

in general i would take an apsc-sized consumer dslr with a lightweight plastic zoom lens

i use a 2008 Pentax k200d
positive: very cheap, rugged, weather sealed, takes aa-batteries, small files

negative: heavy, bad lowlight, slow autofocus

also take a look at film compact cameras like the yashica t4; they are lightweight, compact, have a big sensor and a sharp lens
>>
Canon t1i with 420mm zom when I'm serious.
Get tired of lugging the bag and tripod around though, so a lot of stuff is from camera phone on Motorola droid.
>>
File: 2861.jpg (633KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
2861.jpg
633KB, 1920x1280px
>>831358
K 50
Pentax master race
>>
>>831358
Canon T4i and phone camera.
>>
File: hi_five_pentax.png (16KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
hi_five_pentax.png
16KB, 493x402px
>>832547
aww yea
>>
>>831358
Get a mirrorless or a decent dslr (if you are the one that got the pentax, good job.

Most of your weight is going to be lugging around lenses, so either find a zoom lens that fits all your needs, or get a 35mm prime lens. Small and light and take great pictures in a lot of different situations.
>>
Fuji XE2, 23mm f1.4, and a Samyang 12mm for astrophotography
>>
File: 2016-08-07 Out Example.jpg (482KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-07 Out Example.jpg
482KB, 1000x667px
>>831358
>What camera do you use when out?
Canon 70D
>Looking for something compact and lightweight but still take decent quality pictures

A DSLR is bulky but will give you the most versatility if you want to go into wildlife or so [pic related was taken with a kit 70-300m lens] but otherwise getting a point and shoot with RAW [RAW is used for editing purposes] will be your best bet a quick google showed two candidates for that Lumix DMC-ZS50 and Olympus Tough TG-4

>>832547
>>832563
I have a 70D which I lucked into, if I had to save and pay upfront I would've gone for the K-50
>>
File: i am a heron.jpg (356KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
i am a heron.jpg
356KB, 800x1067px
>>831369
>believing Apple hype

Sorry, but that's objectively untrue. My powershot has 12x optical zoom (that alone makes it a better /out/ camera) and shoots RAW with CHDK firmware update. The sharpness rivals my DSLR and from the samples I've looked at, high iso noise is comparable to the iphone 6. Only 14 megapixels, but so is the 6S and with a real zoom I don't need to crop. It's 5 years old, so current cameras should be better in both respects. The only real advantage the iPhone has is a faster lens.

Phone cameras will never be as good as a bigger camera with the same level of technology, because of the size constraints. Even Zombie Steve Jobs' reality distortion field can't change the laws of physics.
>>
>>833140

The Powershit has one thing going for it and that's the optical zoom.
The iPhone clobbers it to death in every other way. Deal with it.
>>
>>831391
I agree on Pentax, I have a Pentax K-3II and I've dropped it 6 feet onto solid rock (lense broke, camera still fine) and I've dropped it in a lake(only for 3 and a half seconds) definitely a good brand
>>
>>831358
I use a Fuji x100. Breddy gud. I don't take too many pictures, though.
>>
>>833669

Yeah...no.

The iphone only really takes shots that are decent for small prints, and there's some variability in the powershot models.
>>
>>831358

What I bring depends on what I want to shoot.

If I'm just walking around I'll bring a crop frame DSLR with a meh-tier lens that has a wide range of focal lengths. If I have an idea of what I wanna do, I'll bring something better suited to it, like my 600mm or a 20mm prime w. full frame.
>>
>>833140
there's plenty of non-apple cameras that also shit on your snapshit device
>>
When im out hiking and need i small compact camera, i use the Canon G16, otherwise i use my Canon 5D mark III.
>>
>>833699
professional wedding photographer here. i use the iphone 6 as well as my two 5d iii's, when going out in good lgihting i don't even bring my 5d's anymore. that's how good the iphone 6 is in good lighting. iphone 6 + some decent VSCO presets can beat pretty much anything. canon powershot's are garbage.
>>
>>832547
cringe
>>
>>834974
Ahahaha thanks for the laugh this morning mate
>>
Micro Four Thirds is the ultimate /out/ system and features the most comprehensive line of weatherproof lenses and bodies of all the mirror less systems.

Even still, unless I know I'll be in a very scenic place I'll skip it in favor of my iPhone for weight/bulk issues.
>>
>>831358
If you aren't planning to print big pictures a bridge camera with a huge zoom like a powershot will do

If you want to use things like take small scale pictures with a macro lens or use the fisheye effect you need a dslr or mirror less

Generally the lens is more important than the camera so just look some up and make sure people don't say it's shit

And something like the i3 rebel is perfectly fine even if it's an older model, you don't need the new stuff, just make sure you aren't spending over $500 for a camera without a lens if you don't know what you're doing

Note that I dropped two names but they're just ones off the top of my head and there might be better

>>834974
Actual photographer here, phones have shit sensors and are limited in other ways
>>
>>835464
>Actual photographer here

I totally believe you over the other guy
>>
>>835464
Although I have to say that modern phones are good enough to replace those cheap little cameras and aren't bad for regular shots, if you don't need certain kinds of shots or printing pictures larger than 10x8 in you can forego buying a dedicated camera
>>
>>835477
I might have jumped the gun a little. A good photographer can work with all sorts of stuff and have it come out good with some prep, but a good camera is good even in less than ideal situations. People tend to underestimate the power of good lighting. It all depends on use cases. He might actually be a professional photographer, but it's kind of suspect because even with the best lighting phone cameras can't print large pictures nicely. Maybe his clients don't ask for big pics?
>>
File: 14247612.jpg (309KB, 1080x1788px) Image search: [Google]
14247612.jpg
309KB, 1080x1788px
>>831360

This photo is taken on my HTC one M8. The image quality isn't even comparable to that of a real camera
>>
File: IMAG0309.jpg (2MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0309.jpg
2MB, 1520x2688px
>>835628
Jesus christers I hate the camera on mine too. Literally the only reason I'm considering upgrading phones.

The camera on this phone is great for close up still photography but forget any outdoor landscape type photos

pic related
>>
>>835628
maybe you should get something made in the last half decade and expose correctly
>>
>>835870
>maybe you should get something made in the last half decade

How millennial of you
>>
>>831358
X-T1 my dude

>Pentacks
>Sorny
>>
Also, don't go to /p/.
>>
File: 0411161605.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0411161605.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
I use my phone desu
>>
>>835962
this
>>
What's a good camera that doesn't have one of those huge lens? Something that's easily stowed away.
>>
File: DSC_4170_-L.jpg (97KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4170_-L.jpg
97KB, 800x533px
>>837208
Bridge/Pro-sumer camera is what I carry for better-than-camera-phone-shots. Bigger than a typical P&S, smaller/lighter than a DSLR.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh5

Flexibility like a DSLR (full-manual to 30sec/f2.8), good zoom (12x), accessories if you want (filters, adapter lenses (tele/wide)).

Images do get noisy at higher ISO's, it's not a DSLR-sized sensor and this becomes obvious when you're shooting at night... but for the price (bought it for $50 on ebay) it's well worth the investment.

I don't mind throwing that one in my moto pack and riding hard innawoods, where when I carry my big Nikon I ride a lot slower/easier. It's also got a spot in the tunnel pack of my snowmobile... it's rattled around back there for years and never had a problem. Nice to have easy/quick access to a camera that doesn't involve taking my pack off.

USB-OTG adapter and I can upload its photos through my phone, which is nice.
>>
File: geeps_mly.jpg (28KB, 261x192px) Image search: [Google]
geeps_mly.jpg
28KB, 261x192px
>>837214
nice, good advice as usual mulester
>>
I've got a Canon Rebel T5I, although in not really impressed with it, could be because I don't quite know how to use it properly. Thinking about getting a Nikon P900, anyone here have one that can speak for its quality? The T5i works well for urbex videos but I'd like to get something different.
>>
>>837229
Cropped sensor dslr bodies have quite a bit of potential providing you have a couple of good lenses. They are also feature rich and many owners barely scratch the surface due to not taking the time to learn the features. Before you ditch it watch a couple of youtube videos or something to familiarize yourself with it. Just my .02 cents.
>>
Usually a decent phone with a camera is fine, something of 13 megapixel and above is fine - you have it at all times anyway.

When I got into amateur photography i wanted something small and preferably weather-sealed with interchangeable lenses and decent quality. Got Sony a6000 - small, fast shooting (slow startup), interchangable, decently priced, but not weather sealed. So far i'm happy with it.
>>
File: overwaqtch.jpg (98KB, 1364x788px) Image search: [Google]
overwaqtch.jpg
98KB, 1364x788px
I took a picture of this here duck
>>
>>837935
nice shot! samsung phone right?
>>
>>837945
yeah! with a sweet .05 megapixels !
>>
I'm looking for a dslr to take on my AT thru hike next year
>>
>>837970

>>831391
>>
>>831358
Go for mirrorless something like the a6000. It doesn't have waterproofing, but it is tiny and light.
>>
>>831358
>compact and lightweight but still take decent quality pictures
If you have the money, Fuji cameras are superb and compact and also visually appealing. I wouldn't recommend a snapshot camera if you want really nice shots.
If you go to /p/'s gear thread and explain your situation they can definitely help you.
>>
>>831358
Canon M10
+ small
+ you can use an adapter to use the obejectives of the dslr series
+ good quality
- no dslr
- not any ip class against water afaik
>>
>>835962
>Also, don't go to /p/ and ask for critique starting off or post gear questions /out/side of the gear threads.

Fixed.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.