[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ Cooking General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 12

File: 7022.jpg (226KB, 700x840px) Image search: [Google]
7022.jpg
226KB, 700x840px
Share recipes, backpacking food idea, treats, and more!
>>
bying a dehydrator was best decision
>>
>>830316
Peanut
Butter
&
TORTILLAS
>>
File: 23rdNY.jpg (92KB, 360x425px) Image search: [Google]
23rdNY.jpg
92KB, 360x425px
Hardtack and salt pork, friend. Hard tack and salt pork is all you need.
>>
So, why was my post about putting the name on the clear bags and posting relevant dehydrated food deleted? Or did OP delete the thread and start a new one?
>>
File: lunch.jpg (72KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
lunch.jpg
72KB, 600x399px
>>830398
same
pb & tortillas & honey is a definite go-to for me
>>
>>830316
I once packed some bacon & eggs just to cook as a snack for a day hike
The eggs didn't fare well and I'm an idiot
>>
File: Mountain-House-not-freeze-dried.jpg (41KB, 516x340px) Image search: [Google]
Mountain-House-not-freeze-dried.jpg
41KB, 516x340px
>>830399
>>830401
>>830481
>>830316
>>830370
Do you think it's possible to make your own mountian house dried meals? If I buy a dehydrator is it really as easy as making it then sucking it into a sealed bag? Only asking because they're usually pretty expensive and all
>>
>>830913
I have a dehydrator but have not tried making mountain house esq meals yet. Anyone else have any luck?
>>
>>830906
U sure about that? Eggs don't actually need to be refrigerated as long as you eat them within a week.
>>
>>830913
i just make beef jerky and banana chips, havnt tried something like this, tons of people on youtube dehydrationg spaghetti meals and stuff so i guess it works, never had a mountainhouse eauther
>>
>>830942
They cracked in my pack lol
Should have boiled em
>>
>>830913
Wow you actually can
https://youtu.be/JV2nFBfwTck
How much are dehydrators? Lol
>>
>>830977
wow that mans voice is annoying
>>
>>830913
Yes.

>>830977
They range in price form cheap DIY to $50 plastic ones to massive $300 stainless steel ones. I have a nice stainless steel one.
>>
>>830913
You can do a lot better than MH.

If you look at a small outfit's web site like Heather's Choice, pretty much everything they sell started out as a dish they made at home and dehydrated. Most of the stuff at Heather's is still made that way.

PackIt Gourmet is the same but they do a lot more putting together of pre-dried ingredients these days.
>>
>>830316
pemmican hash is great and 'portable soup' works amazingly and takes up no space. Got the idea for both from the James Townsend and son youtube channel. I use the soup to make one of my favorite soups.
This is my recipe for Beef and Onion Stew (it's not as good as you'd make at home, but I've adjusted the ingredients to make it possible to make when camping. You can multiply the ingredients as you like; this serves around 3 people

INGREDIENTS:
>3-4 large onions, sliced thinly
>1lb beef shank, cubed- you can substitue the meat for dried beef if you're camping without means of keeping meat preserved, or just completely omit it altogether
>2 knobs of butter
>half a cup of plain white flour
>2 quarts of water- you can control the thickness of the stew with the lid whilst simmering.
>Either 2 beef stock cubes or some 'portable soup' pieces.
>salt and pepper, to taste
>A carrot or two for sweetness (optional)
>4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
>Various herbs (parsley, thyme, bay leaves) whatever you can find. Some wild garlic would be good.
>2 large potatoes (optional)

METHOD:
>If you are using fresh beef, toss with the flour in a ziplock bag with a pinch of salt and pepper.
>Melt one knob of butter in your pot and add the pieces of beef after shaking off the excess flour. brown in batches and set aside
>if you are using dried meat (or none at all) just add it in later in the last 2 mins of frying the onions
>put in the other knob of butter and fry the onions with the garlic until softened.
>After the onions are translucent, add the beef back into the pot along with you herbs (not parsley-wait until the end for that)
>put in the water, the stock cubes/bouillon/portable soup/broth powder, and the carrots and potatoes if you're adding them
>bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook at least 45 minutes but you can cook for longer if you wish to better tenderise the beef and get a thicker stew.
>>
>>831055
forgot to add- cube the potatoes into 1"x1" pieces. just roughly chop, the carrots into the same kinda shape
>>
>>831058
>>831055
Printing this recipe out
should be tasty anon
>>
>>831011
>>830977
The nice ones are awesome but you don't need to drop a ton of cash for a dehydrator that will do everything it's supposed to do well. $120 will buy you a good 6 tray Weston that will make jerky, meals, and fruit stuff. I prefer rectangular dehydrators with trays over the round dehydrators because it's easier to monitor everything while its dehydrating. The round ones require you to unstack the entire dehydrator to check on everything while the rectangular ones just require you to slide one of the trays out at a time.

The only feature that you absolutely need is a manual temperature control. A lot of the cheaper ones do not have a temp control knob which is absolutely pants-on-head-retarded.
>>
>>830973
Ah right. Coughlans makes some plastic egg trays to prevent that. That type of things is kinda big a bulky for extended trips (dead weight once you eat all the eggs!) but I love eggs in the morning enough to take it on shorter trips.
>>
>>830398
What came to mind was a single peanut, a stick of butter, and some tortillas.
>>
What sort of granola bars do you guys like? I'm looking for a new one -- something that has little/no sugar.
>>
>>831227
If i'm not feeling lazy, i'll make "alegria" which is just popped amaranth seed mixed with honey, a little salt, and maybe some dried fruits/nuts. Form it into a bar, heat, eat. Shit is poppin'
>>
File: pemmican.jpg (52KB, 360x540px) Image search: [Google]
pemmican.jpg
52KB, 360x540px
>>830399
A couple bricks of pemmican won't hurt either
>>
>>831178
hope it is :)
>>
>>831227
I love putting coconut oil in with my granola bars. I make really simple ones with just granola oats baked with honey, linseed, sunflower seeds, walnuts, cinnamon and small dried berries (just choose your favourite)
>>
File: DSCN3283a.jpg (955KB, 2052x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3283a.jpg
955KB, 2052x1536px
>>831181
I have this large 10-tray one. I love it. I paid $260 for it. It was difficult finding one with just the right features plus all stainless steel.
>>
Anyone got a recommendation for a good dehydrator for under a $120?
>>
>>831408
I've got the Open Country Trailmaster 500 Watt. I picked up some extra trays. No complaints. It works wonderful and is about 70 bucks.
>>
>>830316
Whats the recipe for those granolas
>>
>>830316
Nice... thats about $200 worth of food right there?
>>
>>832877
More like $20.
>>
There's tuna for sale at 60 cents a can near me, should I go for it and what can I do with it?

I know cans are kind of heavy and a bother to haul out but this is a pretty good deal and I'm a quarter Jewish.
>>
>>830399

>u liek my pipe?

>Dis nigga serious?
>>
>>831055
Can you, or anyone else, toss me a similar recipe for a nice chili?

Also, would the beef cubes keep well in the flour assuming I pack them in the morning and plan to cook them at night? Without refrigeration in between
>>
File: 20160813_153052.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160813_153052.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
>>830316
Taco bell fag
>>
>>836162
>>836158
even your fingers are fat, you fat faggot.

did you even bother to leave the parking lot to take that pic, you lazy fat slob?
>>
Something that's pretty tasty as is are dehydrated green beans kind of taste like French fries.
>>
>>836162
shit that's a nice view

where is that?
>>
>>831300
model name and number?
>>
>>836138
Sorry for the late reply. Im not at home so ill have to make up the chilli on the spot.

1lb of ground beef
2 onions
2 garlic cloves
Various herbs (same as beef and onion stew)
I like a red pepper in there ( the long sweet type)
Chilli powder to taste, i usually go like 2 tsp
Ground cumin 1 tsp
1tsp paprika
1 beef stock cube
Can of tomatoes
Tomato paste 2 tbsp
Kidney beans if you want, or cannelini or haricot, whatever you like

Method
>brown the meat in olive oil in batches in a pot then set aside
>sweat the onions and garlic in the same pot, when transluscent add the meat back in.
> add the beef stock cube, herbs, spices, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, red pepper and a cup or two of water
>simmer for at least 45 mins

For a little twist add a few squares of dark chocolate.

Also in response to your other question, it depends on the weather, but i would say no in most cases. You may want to invest in cool bags you put in the freezer, then wrap up the beef in a few of them and then wrap the cool bags and beef in a thick piece of cloth or something, then itd probably stay good until the evening.

Hope this helps and happy /out/ing!!!!
>>
>>838011
Add the beans in 10 mins toward the end as they only need heating up
>>
>>836686
It is literally, "Dehydrator".

Product name: Dehydrator
Model: 26DHD001-1200ss-10T
Manufacturer: Super-Q

The cheapest you can get it for now seems to be $189USD.
>>
>>830316
has anyone ever tried deep frying whilst /out/ and about?
>>
File: DSCN3949b.jpg (2MB, 3072x4600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3949b.jpg
2MB, 3072x4600px
>>838668
Did that yesterday, but I usually pan fry instead.
>>
>>838751
Your chicken needs some seasoning
>>
>>838668
Made some buckwheat donut holes once from some buckwheat pancake.batter mix I made myself and some sunflower oil. Used the oil after for fire lighting the next day. It was glorious
>>
>>836667
almost looks like Black Hills, SD or some such place, CANADA?!?!
>>
>>838783
Seasoning goes on after cooking so that the oil will last far longer.
>>
>>836162
Do you eat it cold?
>>
>>839729
There's probably a sprawling urban center right behind him.
>>
>>839729
Do you bother to heat up MREs?
>>
>>840136
What does that have to do with his question?
>>
>>830913
>Do you think it's possible to make your own mountian house dried meals?
You have you fill the bags with nitrogen for a day or so before you vacuum pack them, rids them of oxidizers.

There is better info than l;ink provided so go find it.
>http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/vacuum-packing-foods-nitrogen-zmaz99aszsto.aspx
>>
>>830316
What exactly are those??
>>
Any of you diy foodies pack them in disposable containers you can prepare the meal in? I hate having to eat in a metal or plastic bowl or cooking in my pot except for boiling water and having to deal with cleanup. It means I need to pack more water for cleanup.
>>
>>842785
Bring a roll of plastic wrap. Line your bowl with a piece of that. Wad it up and toss it in your trash when done.
>>
>>836168
At least he's out and exercising (hopefully).

>>836162
But yeah seriously faggot put that shit down.
>>
>>842762
Oat mixes
>>
File: 1464313957582.jpg (44KB, 599x636px) Image search: [Google]
1464313957582.jpg
44KB, 599x636px
Are MRE's good for camping? I'm sure they're terrible to eat for weeks on end but how would they fare for just a 3-4 day trip

Any particular entree's that I should favor/avoid? prefer to stay away from anything that's going to give me explosive case of the shits
>>
>>832018
this
>>
>>843974
"good"? Well, some are pretty grim eatin...

But overall?

Car camping? Sure.

If you're packing though, you'll want to strip them, which gets expensive, fast.
Having enough MRE's to strip and feed for an extended trip gets you into "Mountain House" prices really quick.
>>
>>843659
And you´re supposed to eat them raw? Even the oats?
>>
>>843974
>massive shits
No worries there friend, actual mil surp MREs will have the opposite effect, you'll be lucky if you shit in a week. And they're for the most part awful, their only redeeming quality is the little bottle of tabasco. Better off making your own: http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-MREsa-tutorial/ Plenty of other stuff on the web, use your googlefu
>>
>>843974
>Are MRE's good for camping?

Do you eat MRE's on a regular basis? No? Then no they are not good for camping. Always eat normal food when you are camping. Otherwise, you're sure to have gastrointestinal distress, which on a camping trip isn't fun.
>>
Found old book with some recipes and recounts from the people in the great depression
>>
>>830398
>>830481
So you just roll em up and put them in a ziplock or something? How long do they last?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (38KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
38KB, 480x360px
biltong master race reporting in, where my cured meat and hard cheese sc/out/s et?
>>
>>846779
My gf's dad grew up in Rhodesia and his family fucking loves Biltong.
Do you have any good recipes for it? Or do you just experiment every time?
>>
>>846801
I buy it at the south african butchers, or get it from saffer co-workers, they make it at home its very straightforward
>>
File: ayy lamo.jpg (377KB, 765x574px) Image search: [Google]
ayy lamo.jpg
377KB, 765x574px
I backpacked most of the entire summer, my diet consisted of:

3x Oatmeal for breakfast + cliff or larbar

Lunch was tortilla always, changed between these daily
>tuna + sauce packet
>cheese stick + salami or pepperoni
>pb

Dinner was always some sort of starch, usually Knorr pasta side with a very small can of chicken or from a bag. Sometimes rice n' beans or mashed potatoes (gets boring after a while desu)

gorp for snacks and bars on the side.
>>
>>846768
you get Jiff singles, take that shit and spread it on it, and you eat it. Don't premake that shit just do it on the trail, tortillas pack well
>>
CARNE SECA
A
R
N
E

S
E
C
A

Lighter than jerky
Less salt than jerky
Tastier than jerkey
More calorie-dense than jerky
Improves your shits
No preservatives

The downside is that it's much harder to find. I've only ever seen it in New Mexico and Arizona and I have to order it online at $35/lb.
>>
>>846852
why don't you make it anon?
>>
>>846858
Because it's not sunny enough. To make it right, it has to be sun-dried on wire racks.
>>
>>830316
>inb4 maksnigger with his 10tb pics
>>
>>846865
just use your oven man, same consistence probably. Like sun dried tomatoes vs oven dried to the same consistence, like not much difference.
>>
>>846852
what kind of carne seca? machaca or cecina?
>>
>>846900
Cecina. Extremely thin and cracker-crisp.
>>
>>846852
Carne seca is jerky you tard.
>>
>>847217
No it isn't.
>>
>>830398
And nutella
Make sure pb is crunchy
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.