[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Preparing to climb MT Aconcagua this december. Anyone got any tips?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: Aconcagua_SouthSummit2007.jpg (675KB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Aconcagua_SouthSummit2007.jpg
675KB, 2400x1600px
Preparing to climb MT Aconcagua this december. Anyone got any tips?
>>
>>830272
Dont forget to activate your almonds.
>So many climbers perish because almonds aren't activated.
>>
>>830272
Learn Spanish.
>>
Dont die
>>
acclimate. drink twice as much water as you think you need. bring bribe money.

other than the elevation it's just a hike.
>>
>>830272
trekking poles, foot grips, ice climbers.
>>
>>830272
Make sure to not climb past the summit.
>>
File: 01BookTalkK2.jpg (613KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
01BookTalkK2.jpg
613KB, 2048x1365px
>>830272

Since this is a mountaineering thread I'll post here rather than start a new one.

I am a newly minted richfriend and I have more money than I can possibly spend. I'm thinking of chartering a climbing expedition to k2. Any tips? I've never climbed any serious mountain, but I have enough cash to hire the best guides and buy the best equipment.
>>
>>830668
congratulations on being the laziest, most blatant troll i've seen on /out/ in at least the last two months
>>
>>830668
K2 is gonna kill you. Don't be a dead dumbass. Buy some common sense
>>
>>830668
In case you are serious.
I doubt any amount of money will be enough to find experienced climbers that are willing to take you to the top.

On second thought you'll probably quit long before it gets really dangerous anyway, so if anyone is willing to take that gamble it could be a nice and easy way to make some $$$ off of you.

try something easier first. I'd recommend Elbrus if you're European, not sure what to suggest for NA guys.
>>
>>830668

I thought there was a ban on climbing K2.
>>
>>830861
Not if you have enough money
>>
>>830668
Pikes peak.
>>
>>830875
What about it?
>>
>>830876
Just sayin' why not drive a teener?
>>
>>830878
I don't know what that means
>>
>>830272
Argentinean here, haven't climbed aconcagua but climbed some mountains there, not beyond 6000m.

Be patient, try to learn a bit of spanish. I'll guess you have the basic high altitude mountaineering notions but I'll stress out to drink tons of water even before leaving Mendoza city.

Are you going alone or have you hired a guide?
>>
>>830272
First of all, take cash with you. You can use us dollars everywhere in argentina. You need to apply for a permit and you need to do it by yourself right there in Mendoza, and it takes around 3 or 4 days for them to give it to you because their burocracy is meme tier and because they want you to spend money in the city. Don't do that. Use all the time you have to do easy day hikes and acclimate.

Bring all the gear your need with you, all of it because the stores in argentina are a fucking joke. The only thing you'll need to buy there is the fuel for your stove.

Keep in mind that the average argentinian will try to rob you at any given chance, so don't get your hopes so high and stay focused on the mountain.
>>
>>830275
+1

I did the trek back in 2006 when not many people knew how to activate their almonds. Out of our group of 11, only two of us made it to the summit. Suprise, we were the only two snacking on activated almonds throughout the trip.
>>
Make sure to eat a lot of calories as your making your ascent. You burn a ridiculous ammount when mountain climbing so just eating something like a candy bar every thirty minutes to a hour will help a lot. Learning pressure breathing and the rest step technique are super important too. I'd honestly reccomend a easier mountain if Aconcagua is your first though.
>>
>>830886
> mountaineering thread
> don't know teener

Why in here?
>>
>>830930
Aconcagua is easy af. You literally walk all the way to the top and there's no serious climbing involved. The dificulties are the height, the winds, the temp (depending on the season, but december is summer) and being unprepared in terms of your endurance capacity. It's basically a touristic mountain for all purposes.
>>
>>830886
Fourteen-er

The US or North Amrrican peaks over 14,000ft
>>
>>830668
Go slow, take your time, no need to rush it thinking "man i wanna climb K2 i have the money", start off easy until you get experienced, because experience>gear all day every day.
>>
>>830932
Maybe not american?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.