[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much water should you pack per day?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

File: s0379813_sc7.jpg (9KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
s0379813_sc7.jpg
9KB, 380x380px
How much water should you pack per day?
>>
The same amount you will use in a day per day.
>>
>>829612
Do you think 2 quarts will work?
>>
>>829654
Nope. Double that, at least. More if hot weather or steep terrain.
>>
>>829654
Try 3 gallons. You need to wash and cook too presumably.
>>
>>829609
Enough to make it to your next water source.
I always heard you need 2 liters minimum a day. If it's warm, go for 3.
>>
>>829609
3 liters of drinking water per day.

This is not including food prep water.

Also since its relevant, gravity water filter systems>everything else.
>>
File: 1457879322211.jpg (384KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1457879322211.jpg
384KB, 2048x1365px
>>829677
>wash
>>
2-7 liters depending on how hot and availability of water on trail
>>
>>829609
for an overnight in summer with 7+ miles of hiking per day ill pack 4 of the tall boy versions of those in my bag and put, one on the outside for easy access. i leave a frozen one in the car for when im back off the trail.

i normally will have leftovers but i would rather have too much than too little.
>>
>>829609
>1 liter every hour of strenuous exercise
PLUS
>1 liter every 6 hours of rest
PLUS
>Water for cooking and washing
>>
>>829740
>>829729
>>829724
>>829705
How do you go carrying that much water?
>>
>>829609
0 -- Smartwater tastes odd
I'd pack real water instead.
>>
how do you guys suck down so much water? I bring 3.5L for an overnight and still have some left after a 14 mile hike. just bring 3L and a purifier imo
>>
>>830303
If you dont live in the desert chances are you can forage for water sources in your respective biome and just carry a filter

If you live in the desert you're gonna have a bad time
>>
enough to stay hydrated

if you are tired for no reason, or get exhausted too easily, you are dehydrated. Most people live their whole life not drinking enough water every day
>>
I always carry at least 2 liters and drink 3-4 liters per day (excluding cooking).
I can't tell you how many times that streams marked on my map turn out to be bone dry.
>>
File: cute kitty 1.jpg (31KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
cute kitty 1.jpg
31KB, 500x331px
>>830721
where is a good place to get localized maps?
>>
>>830714

Not him, but that doesn't really answer the question. People told to "bring" water, not count on streams.

I know you can strap water bottles to your pack and brink a camelbak/platypus, but is it enough?
>>
>>830730
Strap your water to your doggo if you have one. Harness/saddlebag type packs exist for doggos.

"enough" water is relative to your biome. You shouldn't feel compelled to carry 4L on your back every day if you're hiking near a river or a stream, do you catch my drift?
>>
>>830741

Yeah, I guess. No trail-suited doggo sadly.

But if there is no river or stream nearby, is sucking it up and just carrying it all the better idea?
>>
>>830725
Usually on the board by the main trail head. local general/supply stores stores will sometimes have them as well.
>>
>>830303
bottles, bladders.

7 liters is 15 lb of water. that is a lot, with an overnight pack you could be looking at 40+ lb total pack weight. some times life is hard.
>>
>>830303
by having a pack base weight of <12kg and not being a pussy?

I usually carry 3 litres of water, but it depends on season and location. When I lived in Spain and hiked a lot in the Summer I'd sometimes pack up to 8 litres.
>>
>>830742
Yes
>>
>>830742
>>830741
you guys strap weight to your dog before a hike?
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (66KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
66KB, 700x700px
>>831660
It's recommended for larger dog breeds so they can get a better workout and expend more energy. I'm not talking about strapping a cast iron griddle, 8L of water, and a tent to my doggo but he's old enough and muscular enough to carry some (like 2-3L) water and some food (mostly his food)

>pic related

>not my dog, just a dog with a pack
>>
File: Exercise-Collage_SIL.jpg (154KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Exercise-Collage_SIL.jpg
154KB, 1000x1000px
what does /out/ drink when going hard?
>>
>>831868
it also is supposed to make the trip more rewarding for the doggo because they get the sense that they have a job that makes massa' happy
>>
If I know there will be water sources, I usually end up bringing only 2-3 liters per person.
A bandanna and iodine is usually fine for filtering water.
>>
>>832026
Ia this a thinly veiled we wuz wolves an sheeit post? Because I have no patience for that Dog Lives Matter nonsense
>>
File: geeps_sheeeeit.png (8KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
geeps_sheeeeit.png
8KB, 261x195px
>>832036
i don't know what you're talking about anon but i've heard it's true that giving your dog a job to do is good for them
>>
>>832061
It is. I was just memeing because dogs smack their lips and they wuz wolves an coyotes an sheeit
>>
File: PissClear30_cover.jpg (60KB, 371x480px) Image search: [Google]
PissClear30_cover.jpg
60KB, 371x480px
>>829609
You need 1.5 gallons per day. This includes water you get from food.

Source. Been going to Burning Man for 6 years, and I do a lot of camping in the middle of fucking nowhere.
You can get by with less than a gallon if you're in a humid environment, and you're not exerting yourself, but if you are hiking, or in an elevated desert, you need that 1+ gallon.

And remember, always piss clear.
>>
>>830725
Camping shops, army surplus stores, tourist info centers, newsagency/papershop, post office, local council office.
>>
>>830303
With great annoyance. Water is always the majority of the weight I take with me hiking. The good thing though is the load gets gradually lighter.
>>
>>829609
Blue 64OZ bottle for drinking. Green 64OZ bottle for cooking. LifeStraw or Katadyn gravity filter and tablets for getting more.

Antiseptic Wipes for washing. Or a collapsible bucket, bar of Soap, Rubbing Alcohol, and a Sponge/Loofa/Microfiber Towel.

That said, Smartwater is pretty good. Very wholesome taste.
>>
>>832177
>And remember, always piss clear.

For those of you who don't pay attention, the clarity and temperature of your Urine serves as an indication of how hydrate you are.

Clear and cool is good. Deep and warm is bad.
>>
File: solid advice.png (462KB, 1100x1456px) Image search: [Google]
solid advice.png
462KB, 1100x1456px
>>832177
moniker
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.