[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beginning Ice Climbing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (95KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95KB, 800x533px
So I've been interested in ice climbing for a while, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm already an avid rock climber, but I imagine that ice is a whole different ball game. Can anyone shed some light on this topic or point me in the right direction?
>>
>>829082
Finding a group of folks that ice climb could be a start. If you are in an area with a lot of ice climbing in winter you can probably find rental boots/crampons.

Though to be honest, the best way is to hire a guide for a weekend. A guide would be better than others at teaching you the technique and could provide equipment.

Things to consider. Clothing is a key component. Ice climbing you'll yo-yo between really warm and really cold. When climbing you'll warm up, when hanging around you'll cool off. So dressing in layers and having a big puffy jacket that's easy to take on and off will help a lot. Pants that are trim around the ankles will help you with walking around. Crampons are tricky to learn to move around with.
Helmets are mandatory. Ice falls, it's part of the game. Make sure that your harness fits correctly with the additional layers on.
>>
>>831084
Basically this.
>>
File: eww, no dude.jpg (15KB, 564x331px) Image search: [Google]
eww, no dude.jpg
15KB, 564x331px
>screaming barfies
not even once

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQByrChFhZQ
>>
>>829082
>>831084
Don't forget if you glissade use your crampons as brakes it is much more fun because you can go faster
>>
I'm taking an ice climbing course through American Alpine Institute. Did a little bit in other courses, maybe the most fun hung I've ever done. Also easy. It's a little nerve wracking thinking about how the ice anchor is constantly melting out in the sun.
>>
>>831658
Never ever do this. Glissading with crampons on can be very dangerous. You generally don't need to be glissading when ice climbing
>>
>>831314
You're weak Highlander! You'll always be weaker, than I.
>>
As the guy who wrote this
>>831658
In all seriousness this
>>833409
It was a joke it's dumb and dangerous good way to get rekt while /out/
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.