[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let The Mora Consume You

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13

File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Well /out/, I gave in.
You won.
How long until I regret this purchase?
>pic related
>>
>>829035
>regretting something that costs less than a decent lunch.
Yea, not gonna happen. It's fine. You'll get use out of it and it'll last, it's just completely unsexy because it's a cheap workhorse.
>>
>>829035
I will never understand why americans make such big think the act of buying a mora.
>>
>>829035

just don't cut anything with it after midnight
>>
>>829041
Obviously because I can buy 3 Big Macs instead.
>>
>>829041
>merican joke
>2016
>>
You will never regret it. It is sharp as a razor blade, isn't it?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
I know I love mine.
>>
has anyone here used the outdoor 2000? if so, any thoughts>
>>
>>829035
i love mine too OP. also, it's a glorious carbon steel blade so may the forced patina be with you

>>829059
and also with you
>>
Doubt you'd ever regret it

Perhaps going carbon over stainless might have some if you hate any form of stain (which you can clean up easily enough and it'll go back to polished and new with some very fine steel wool)

The Mora Companion is probably the best all purpose outdoors knife around for the money

You can do anything you'll need a knife for with it

It's not bulky
>>
>>829040
>it's just completely unsexy
>implying
>>
Garberg when?
>>
>>829040

Bushcraft and the classics are definitely handsome knives

Yeah, the Companion is a little ugly with the grip, but that's ok due to the positives it has
>>
>>829166

I guess I'll get one eventually, but I have other stuff to collect first

I can't see it being any better than the Bushcraft; you're not going to break a Bushcraft or Companion no matter how much timber you baton through
>>
I have two. They are technically my kids and my wife's but I use them when I am going light camping or float trips oto anything that don't demand my beefier knives. Great for fishing and cutting food. Great value. I don't get the hate.
>>
File: IMG_20150226_005216.jpg (1MB, 1944x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150226_005216.jpg
1MB, 1944x1944px
>>829035
Used mine (the exact same as your pic) this past weekend, and I must say, I really enjoyed it.

t. Someone whose used to using >$200 knives.
>>
Just FYI, the stainless steel versions of any particular mora takes and holds a much better edge than he carbon one. It took me a long period of firsthand experience to figure this out because of /out/ misinformation.
>>
>>829035
>mora knife
>implying i don't have one in my garage, in my car, in my boat, in my camping wagon, in my backpack, in my toolbelt
>overthinking buying a mora
fucking americans
>>
>>829735
I have literally never used a knife that is not a morakniv, and not by choice. They are good, cheap knives that are used for everything, if you have to wank over something sharp at least pick a hatchet or whatever.
>>
America has a lot of big name brands that would overshadow morakniv.

Unless you're in trade or some hobby like fishing, you might not be exposed to them.
>>
when I was younger saw tactical fags saying you need a "good all round knife"
With a 7" blade, 3/4" thickness...
Cost around £120
Buy mora for £5 as starting knife ended up with 2
Never had a problem with it
Used it to baton, and other outdoor activities...
Beat the shit out of it
Still sharpens to a razor in five minutes on a whetstone
>>
File: geeps_kh.png (23KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
geeps_kh.png
23KB, 261x195px
>>829843
that's whicked cool but you still probably shouldn't be baton'n with it anon
>>
>>829844
That entirely depends on what you are baton it through and with.

Clear pine, beating on it with another piece of pine? A plastic knife would do. Knotty walnut with a rock? Might be better off with a Busse.
>>
>>829869
well it's still a fairly narrow blade and the cheeper moo-rahs are partial-tang so i just don't see the point, but yeah i guess it's not the end of the world. i have the inexpensive moo-rah companion and i reckon anything i could baton it through without smashing it's spine in is something i could probably just break up in other ways. idunno, never tried, doesn't seem prudent
>>
>>829844

You can baton with them fine

You aren't going to break a Companion on any wood

It's the Classic with their wood handles where the tang can push through rotted areas.
>>
>>829869
>>829873
then it's settled. i'll try it on some green pine to start and see how it feels. just because i should probably give it a go and see what all this is about
>>
>>829042
this
>>
File: FFG_Mora-3617.jpg (1MB, 2125x1195px) Image search: [Google]
FFG_Mora-3617.jpg
1MB, 2125x1195px
>>829035

Should have bought one with a regrind to FFG. Even paying for the regrind it's still probably the best value FFG fixed blade you can get.
>>
File: IMG_20160127_021745.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160127_021745.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>830010
That looks good!
>>
File: FU.jpg (78KB, 373x750px) Image search: [Google]
FU.jpg
78KB, 373x750px
>>829035
its a $20 dollar knife

if it it breaks no pity for you fagget. get over it you, bought what everyone told you to buy
>>
>>830023

The only way you'd break one is by hitting it on the side hard with a hammer/club when the blade is dick deep in wood
>>
>>830116
If only there was a name for this...
>>
>>829041
All the cheap shit in our country is garbage. It's just amazing when we buy something that's cheap that doesn't fall apart. Shit, it's amazing when we pay out the ass for something and it doesn't fall apart.

Thanks, capitalism.
>>
>>830125
there are still companies who make shit in america who are holding on for dear life because they sell for cheep. kershaw has some cheep blades, but look at estwing and vaughan as well. it can be done but they need our support ;-;
>>
>>830128
Kershaw knives are shit.

Estwing is quality. I don't know if I've used/owned Vaughan -- it's likely some of my dad's or grandpa's tools were Vaughan, but I never took note of it. No complaints with those tools or the company, though.
>>
>>830131
i think kershaw is ok but to each their own. but yes estwing is fantastic and so is vaughan. vaughan started in like the 1870s and hasn't moved offshore yet and they have amazing shit still. i have my great-grandfather's estwing hammer from ~1920s and it's built exactly like they sell them today. full metal handle with leather rings for a handle. except after all these years the leather's all rotted off...
>>
>>829097
It's decent although i can never seem to get a semi-consistent angle on the upper half of the blade until i reground it a bit to make the angle larger. Other than that i love the sheath I think it's Mora's best plastic sheath so far especially because i'm left handed
>>
>>829166
I think it's an ugly overpriced knife that's only designed to be sold to the bushy bush craft crowd that buy new $100 knives every week and never use them
>>
>>829873
I've seen companions snapped, but not on the handle or tang, but on the blade, literally the steel snapped before the plastic did, but they were years old and withstood god knows how many years and how many abusive students
>>
>>830010
I convexed my Bahco 2444 which is just a stainless orange companion and it works amazing, but it will take over an hour
>>
File: IMAG1339.jpg (1MB, 3264x1952px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1339.jpg
1MB, 3264x1952px
i just want the tiny one, cant wait for it to be avaiable. cant remember the name but its like meant for neck knife and such
>>
>>830423

eldris
>>
>>830426
yes, thanks my man!

im hoping itl be a featherstick champ
>>
File: still-no-edge-but-hey.jpg (311KB, 2557x767px) Image search: [Google]
still-no-edge-but-hey.jpg
311KB, 2557x767px
>>830423
i always wanted an esee but for that price i can make 10 hunks of 1095 steel like it.
already started just never finished.

this is only the prototype. workplace has an oven that can do steal annealing and any kind of heat treat really. i just need to put on a precise angled edge that's where i got stuck.
>>
>>830423
>>830428
Eldris looks pretty sick, i like and dislike the combo grind
>>
File: 20151024_152626.jpg (2MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20151024_152626.jpg
2MB, 2048x1152px
>>830431
nice man! how longs that blade? how do you plan on putting scales on? do you have plans for a sheath? imho something like that would deserve leather would it not?

>pic thread related cause mora
>>
>>830426
>Eldris is a mountain pasture a mil west of Mora, belonging to the village LANGLET. Eldris has become known as one of Vasalopp controls.

always wondered about the name...
>>
>>830436
the entire thing is about a foot long.
i'm not sure about scales but if i do them i will drill holes for them and use epoxy and rivets.
i originally wanted a paracord handle, but i'm unsure about it now.
sadly the blank was made of a file and not very wide to work a comfortable handle out of.
>>
File: 6783.jpg (2MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
6783.jpg
2MB, 2048x1152px
>>830436
upside down AND wrong picture
i should stop drunk-posting

hopefully right one this time
>>
>>830442
the blade is 21cm handle is 12.5cm to be exact
>>
>>830445
>21cm blade
wow. thats alot of blade, any reason?
>>
>>830447
i wanted it as a work/abuse tool.

basically batoning trees and an ocassional prybar
6mm thick hardened 1095 steel sabre grund... it would be largely indestructible.

yeah too big to carry i wanted to keep it as a tool in the trunk or leave it at camp.
>>
>>830452
eh, not my preference but if you like it, rock on my dude
>>
>>830454
well i'm not going to pay $160-$300 for fucking around with something like this.

for any true knife tasks i got my mora companion.
>>
File: 1396523131897.jpg (14KB, 519x519px) Image search: [Google]
1396523131897.jpg
14KB, 519x519px
>>830457
no clue what you meant by that post man, but its all good
>>
I recently bought a Mora and it started getting rusty after about a week. I haven't even used it yet, it's just been sitting in it's sheathe on my desk. Is that normal?
>>
>>830010
Now i want to get a Mora just to regrind it since i'm not going to touch my HighQ allround or 2000 because i got them as gifts when i went to Sweden
>>
>>830918
Yes, ambient humidity is a thing and it'll rust a high carbon steel blade even if it just sits in it's sheath, 2 tips:
- Store it outside it's sheath
- Apply some sort of oil on it, olive or other cooking oils if you use it for food, or WD40, BLO, animal fat anything basically, just use foodsafe options if you intend on using it for food prep. Hope this helps. Also you can remove the rust with a scotch brite or you can use the rubber erasers that are impregnated,
>>
>>830929
Oh ok, thanks
>>
>>829042
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>830936
It'll turn into a pumpkin.
>>
>>829035
I used mine to chip ice and rounded the tip. Repairing it would cost more than getting a new one. That's the only thing that makes me uncomfortable about mora's, they're dirt cheap and I like to recycle and preserve my tools but I don't have an excuse when they're this cheap.
>>
>>831053

>ice

Hickory Ice Picks are cheap as fuck

Get one if you don't
>>
>>831053
Just do it for fuck sakes you lazy cunt
>>
>>831080
Do what? Repair it or get a new one? I can't repair it because I don't have the equipment and having a pro repair it would cost more than buying a new one. I'm just going to buy a new one and save up so I can one day get the equipment so I can fix it myself.
>>
>>831081
You know hardware stores almost everywhere sell cheap combo stones and sandpaper costs 0.98 eur/sheet, there's literally no excuse other than laziness
>>
>>831109
You need more than sandpaper to fix a rounded tip.
>>
>>831116
Get the roughest sandpaper they sell for steel and take some time with it
>>
>>831116
i have fixed a broken tip so well once that people didn't want to believe it was ever broken.
it was a tanto tip tho quiet easy.
>>
>>831129
>>831124
Did you use a belt sander?
>>
>>831137
No, glue it or lay it on a flat wooden board, belt sanders are a dumb idea
>>
>>831141
i guess that's why many high end knife makers use them.
>>
>>831745
They use them BEFORE ht, if you tried it on a finished knife you run the high probability of drawing the temper and ruining the knife
>>
>>831793
before that happens the steel gets discolored first
if the steel does not get a color on it it's fine basically keeping the contact short and even cooling your blade with water will easily prevent the ruining of heat treat.
>>
>>831793
you fags make it sound like if you fuck up your heat treat it's not easy as fuark to fix it... it takes about 4 hours and an oven.
>>
>>832493
Yeah sure if you wanna fuck it up even worse, also i assume you haven't heard of quenching, which every steel is different, O1 tool steel can be water quenched other steels require air cooling or specialty oils. It's also not a matter of "oven, 180 degrees, 4 hours and you have a perfect knife again" it takes experience to know when the knife is actually done properly and you can still fuck it up by making it too soft/hard
>>
>>832952
>also i assume you haven't heard of quenching
you assume a lot faggot
>>832952
>O1 tool steel
talking about moras here faggot
>other steels require air cooling or specialty oils
nah it's pretty easy
>>
>>833851
I'm a third party but honestly man if you halved the amount you say faggot people would probably listen to you more
>>
>>833906
i get mad when people talk bullshit sorry about that
>>
>>829035
i've used moras for years. they are cheap enough to be disposable which sometimes they are. its not an heirloom piece. just a sturdy functional tool. its just a good cheap knife that will get the job done.
>>829735
this nig knows. get a bunch and stash them everywhere. i like to keep a knife in each of my cars, in my house, in my workshop, wherever, in addition to my edc. my edc is a folder so having a beater fixed blade handy wherever i might be is nice so i dont have to fuck up my nice knife with less than nice treatment if need be.
>>
File: 1416626026329.jpg (212KB, 604x763px) Image search: [Google]
1416626026329.jpg
212KB, 604x763px
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.