[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got back into biking, and unfortunately can't afford

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

I just got back into biking, and unfortunately can't afford anything better than a shitty Walmart bike. I put a speedometer on it though just for shits. My problem is that it hurts my legs like fucking crazy when I try to speed up over 16 km/s. Will I eventually get used to it? Or is the bike simply too heavy?
>>
16 km per second is pretty fast...
>>
>16km/s
Teach me senpai
>>
Holy shit OP, you can go Mach 46? I'm pretty sure you must be the fastest thing on earth right now.
>>
>>828234
Just take it easy for the first month or two, drink lots of water, and make sure you are getting enough calcium for: bone density, muscle action potentials, and electrolytes

You will be fine if you follow this--also get some potassium for those previous reasons
>>
This is more of an /n/ type question but I will answer from my experiences. I ride a hardtail mtb. I started last year and was pretty out of shape. I did a lot of uphill riding and more tech trails. I would be out for hours and would be in a lot of pain and out of breath. With almost any sport you will build more endurance. You will lose fat/gain muscle. You will breath better and have higher stamina. Also bike weight is a very small factor. Don't worry about that unless you are competing. Stick with it and you will grow to appreciate the burn in your legs
>>
>>828234
Typically Wallmart bikes are pretty shit made and usually heavier. But yes, your leg muscles will take some readjusting to the motions if you haven't biked in sometime.
>>
>>828234
there is a whole board for this
>>>/n/
>>
>>828433
Cycling is an outdoor activity m8.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 944x1536px)
Untitled.png
1MB, 944x1536px
>>828234
>16 km/s

Shit dude, don't hit anything!
>>
>>828622
Not inside doesn't make it /out/
>>
>>828234
WalMart bikes arent always shit. I had a nice bike get stolen and could only afford to spend about #150 to replace it. I got a chap Genesis 29" mountain bike at walmart. Ended up being my all time favorite bike.
>>
>>829184
Then you got really lucky. I worked at Toys r us for a year as a manager. They don't teach people how to build the bikes. You watch a 15 minute video and that's it. People strip the screws/overtighten stems leading to them cracking/breaking the first ride/bend the forks/the brakes will not work 90% of the time. I have mountain biked for 15 years so when I worked there, bikes were built right. I go there sometimes to check in on everyone and always look at the bikes. It always makes me cringe seeing how poorly built they are
>>
File: 1469471879819.png (128KB, 291x300px) Image search: [Google]
1469471879819.png
128KB, 291x300px
>>829062
>>
File: impactgn.jpg (197KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
impactgn.jpg
197KB, 1000x750px
>>829184
>>829195
>be me
>work at a bike shop
>pick up side work building bikes for walmart during pre xmas rush
>go in for first day
>guy sweating in the back, impact gun
>"it pays by the piece"
>start slapping together bikes with an impact gun
>brake completely fucked, pulled all the way over
>wheel won't spin
>grab wrench, start in on quick adjustment
>whatareyoudoing.jpg
>"We don't loosen things, only tighten"
>>
>>828234
>walmart bikes
pls no

this is what happens when you buy a walmart bike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkMnk_eCDQU
>>
>>829250
>using an impact wrench on a bike

Holy guacamole
I'm not great at servicing my mountain bike but in 10 years of mountain biking I never considered this, even as a last ditch measure
>>
>tfw trying to convert an old kmart bike to a fixie for shits and giggles
>>
>>829062
yes it does, even gardening is /out/. Read the fucking sticky sometime.
>>
DESU, Anon, next time you might be better off just returning your walmobile and trying to find a decent used bike on craigslist. You can generally find nice ones for a reasonable price, and while maybe they're a little scuffed up, they still ride good given a tune up. As for the burn, that goes away after you get used to riding again. When I decided to seriously start riding, I was in pretty much the same boat as you fitness-wise with anything above a snail's pace being very unpleasant. But after a few years I've gotten significantly better (not racing level, but not shit). Nowadays, my average speed is about 18mph (or I guess 30kmph), and my top speed on flat ground is about 30mph (~48kmph). Also, the bike DOES make a bit of a difference in how fast you'll be able to go. Generally the rule of thumb is fat tires are slower but better for different conditions, and skinny tires are great for going fast over pavement, but not much else.
>>
>>830030
So, you are saying that loose screws are strictly a problem with Walmart bikes?
>>
>>830144
>fat tires are slower
It's not the width, it's the quality of the tire casing. Good quality fat tires are proven faster than skinny tires in roll-out tests. The problem is almost nobody made wide road tires with high end casings until quite recently, they're mostly either cheap hybrid tires or "touring" tires with stiff sidewalls and flatproof belts.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.