[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Small game rifle thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 26

File: IMG_5728.jpg (2MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5728.jpg
2MB, 3888x2592px
sup /out/

I'm not much of a gun goy but I have been considering getting a rifle for survival trips / hunting rabbits / coyotes / pest ctrl. I've been looking at the AR7 .22 henry survival rifle (pic related) I wanted to know if there are any rifles for small game that I should consider before pulling the trig. Should I skip the AR7 and just spend more money for something that is better?
>>
>>828001
>survival trips

Do you mean camping, faggot?
>>
>>828001
Ruger 10-22 takedown.
>>
>>828001
I had one and it's a total piece of shit. It will only fire certain ammo, even then it jams every few shots. The sights are so bad you can't hit anything beyond 20ft. The only way to get better sights is with a scope but then you loose the ability to store it in its own stock, which is too fat and feels wierd.

>>828013
This. Or a Marlin Papoose if you can find one.
>>
>>828001
Go with a bolt action annon.

Can't recommend the savage MkII highly enough. It's cheap and accurate. I've never had a jam despite shooting shitty ammo with it and Its also quite durable. I've taken it on 5 day long solo backpacking/hunting trips with no rifle case and it never malfunctioned. Like I said, it's also very accurate. After some practice you'll be making 100yd shots no problem.

I recommend getting a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire scope with it. The scopes that come with the savage suck.
>>
File: stock_proaam1022_c.jpg (41KB, 500x201px) Image search: [Google]
stock_proaam1022_c.jpg
41KB, 500x201px
Ruger 10-22 with a archangel nomad tactical Stock.
>>
>>828013
>Ruger 10-22 takedown

OP here,

im canadian and the RCMP have apparently declared Ruger 10-22 to be a prohibited device. r i p
>>
>>828001
All posts below you will find people recommending a proper .22LR rifle, 10-22/Marlin/Bolt action all good picks but not 1:1 comparison to AR7.

If you would like a rifle that packs in a floating water-tight case that takes little space in a bag or strapped outside the bag; the AR7 is your pick.

If you want to walk around with a 'proper rifle' that means added weight and likely 1-2 hands preoccupied. Depending on your terrain/distance/skill this could be a game changer, personally I carry the AR7 when I plan to hunt small game; if there is a chance for waterfowl/bird I will bring 410/22; if there is chance for bigger game hog/deer I will bring a proper caliber to match the game hunted.

If you have 0 firearms and this will be your first; a bolt action 22LR is good (Marlin recommended but not the only brand) but I would recommend Henry Rifles in the desired caliber. Lever action with wood furniture from a quality manufacturer just does not get much better.

Henry/Browning/Rossi for lever rifles; Browning might be better quality but owning BLRs and Henrys I favor tube magazine over cartridge.

Back to the question of OP; AR7 would work well for your task, any firearm will honestly even an M4 22LR. .22LR Lever action/Bolt action/AR7/Over-Under/Even 20gauge and up shotguns would be what I would recommend selecting from.

Even further, if you honestly are not familiar with firearms and only plan to hunt rabbit/squirrel/varmint with; you could get an air rifle to save weight and costs.

I own the AR7, a BLR, Marlin bolt, a few Henry lever rifles, and Chiappa over/under double badger. If I do a multi-day trip it easily would be the over/under. If I were to go out for a day of hunting small game I would take my Henry 22 lever over my AR7 or Marlin 22 bolt. The AR7 would be more desired if I were on a kayak/canoe trip and worried about water but wanted to hunt small game. I do not use my Marlin bolt anymore, but it damn sure is accurate and sexy.
>>
File: ddm2PgA.jpg (11KB, 208x195px)
ddm2PgA.jpg
11KB, 208x195px
>>828185

OP here again, thanks for your knowledge.

I think I'm going to purchase the AR7 and see how it goes. I'm hesitant to get anything more expensive / heavier since I would like to have a small caliber rifle on me when I go /out/ even if I do not necessarily plan on hunting at that exact moment.
>>
>>828185
>personally I carry the AR7 when I plan to hunt small game
I carry the *Henry 22; like I suggested the AR7 excels at fitting in/outside bags and in/around water. If you dp need a followup shot when hunting small game, out of all my 22 rifles this is the only semi-automatic and that can help you. Although, you should simply not take a shot if there is doubt, only take accurate shots.

Good luck an/o/n
>>
>>828001

How much do these guns cost?
I live in the united kingdom of no guns, and have zero experience with them, I always wondered how much they go for in America.
What would be an average cost of a basic gun? Like an average shotgun or a rifle.
The one time I was in America everything was so cheap, I have always imagined basic beginner guns going for $200. Realistic?
>>
>>828188
Glad to help, I have nothing negative to say about the AR7; it is works and feels exactly as I expected which is great! 4 Henry firearms later and some accessories yet no issues over the years.

Once you get your taste for firearms/hunting small game; something like these might interest you for their 'survival' use. Hopefully they will not be required for that use but they are sure nice for hunting while backpacking.

The Springfield M6 is highly coveted but supply is much lower than the demand and they are out of production. I have the Chiappa double badger because of the wood stock; otherwise Chiappa's M6 is a better pick. 20ga better priced than 410bore ammo and you have a better chance of hitting your target with 20ga over 410bore with poor aim.

Negatives : Single shot but again just take accurate shots and this is a non-issue

http://chiappafirearms.com/product/2626

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/02/23/chiappa-resurrects-m6-survival-gun-w-10-caliber-options/

http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/v-shrake/m6.html
>>
>>828193
22LR rifle $200~ yes very realistic.

Most of my 22LR rifles if not all were under $400 each

Henry Rifles lists MSRP on their website, take a look are their prices for an idea

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/lever-action-22-rifle/
>>
>>828001
Get a Chiappa Little Badger.
>>
Finally broke down and bought a 10/22 and took my hunter's ed class last night. Been shooting for a few years but now I want to satisfy my lust for blood. Any tips for squirrel hunting in Georgia? I'm starting from absolute 0.
>>
>>828411

Squirrel call can be made with two coins, look at youtube vids to see how.

Squirrels respond well to bait, grind up apples with crayons (yes crayons) and they will go nuts for it. (They'll go NUTS!! GEDDIT? HAHA I KILL ME)

A dog is invaluable for finding squirrels in trees.

Squirrel snares are very effective, especially with bait. Lean a log against a squirrely tree with several 3" diameter nooses positioned along the top, they'll get caught as they scamper up and down. Leave enough slack so that anything caught in a noose can dangle without touching the ground. Multiple squirrels from one log is possible if not downright probable.

Beware of rabies and other diseases/parasites, latex gloves are good for handling skwerls.

Inspect the liver when you're gutting your squirrels (or indeed any mammal). The liver should be one solid dark colour. Reject any carcass with a pale blotchy or spotted liver.

Familiarize yourself with local predators, wounded squirrels will make enough noise to bring them in. Be prepared.

Aim for the head.
>>
the best bang for the buck autoloader .22 rifles are the marlin 795 and the marlin 60.

the 70pps 'pappoose' or whatever fags call it is like $285 now. you can get TWO 795's for that price.

i put a cheap bushnell 4-12x40 AO scope on it and it's been a little tack driver since the trigger wore in. the trigger is pretty crap out of the box but you can DIY or buy a spring kit for pretty cheap.

cons: magazines. 23 bucks for OEM 10 round magazines is bullshit, and all of the aftermarket mags are junk (promag lol). at least the OEM magazines actually work 99.99% of the time.

i mostly fire bulk pack ~1200-1300 fps 40 grain shit out of it.

now if you want to enjoy the magic that is the CCI .22 QUIET then just get a bolt action version. i suppose lack of demand actually makes those cost more than the autoloaders. i keep a 30-40 year old marlin bolt action when i go /out/ innaboat to remove reptile.
>>
>>828458

is this it anon? http://www.cabelas.ca/product/3789/marlin-model-795-semi-auto-rifle

I'm from canada so 285 burger bux is like 400 in hockey coins over here.
>>
>>828473

yeah that's it. the marlin 795 is like 145 burger bucks.
>>
>>828478

I'm assuming the marlin beats the AR7 in range, accuracy, power etc but the AR7 beats it in mobility, elemental resistance and weight?

interesting
>>
>>828487
>mobility, elemental resistance and weight?

um.....yeah it's light as fuck and made out of metal and plastic. you're really overthinking things.

>power

lol. good thing this isn't /k/.
>>
File: IMG_20151004_112152.jpg (972KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151004_112152.jpg
972KB, 2048x1536px
>>828193
> how much

Here is a rather sophisticated brace any Black Cherry Pirate would be proud of, >$3 k US, easy.
>>
>>828513

are you going /out/ in Syria or something dafuq
>>
File: IMG_20160303_172532.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160303_172532.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>828520
Oh, you have no idea...
>>
>>828545

damn that black laminate is smexy, are you /deepwoods/ or /k/?
>>
>>828558
More /out/ than /k/.
> tfw chicks dig it
>>
>>828560

imo /out/ needs more /k/ and /k/ needs more /out/
>>
>>828568
> /k/ = shut ins without enough guns
> /out/ = shut ins without enough out

That I would agree to!
>>
>>828001
Fuck I love funs. I just want to bring them to bed with me and finger fuck every last one them into the reaches of the night whether it's a nugget, ak, takedown 22 or a regular ol fudd gun. I said I wouldn't buy another 22. but I really like how maneuverable that AR-7 is and I'm sure my other 22.s would love to have a new play mate. I just want to bring that thing with me deep out in the backwoods of Superior National Forest, setup my hammock, hop in and cuddle up to that thing and finger fuck the ever loving firing pin out of that thing.. Oh AR-swan, you're so cold, come closer, let me wrap my arms around you and warm you up. What's that? You want me to stick my finger in your ejection port? Shhh, it's okay, I won't tell anyone. Maybe tomorrow we can go plink some squirrels and have some squirrel and rice tomorrow night? Maybe I'll rub a little oil on you, maybe hold you some more? Oh AR-swan, come to me now.
>>
>>828188
The newer AR-7's are complete shit. shit plastic sights, plastic barrel sheath to cut down weight, only feeds well with CCI stingers. It's a neat package but you get what you pay for.
>>
>>828411
I like to use squirrel hunting as time in the woods enjoying nature and learning more and more about everything. I usually find a tree where I've seen a lot of squirrels around and just sit down and watch and wait. It's amazing the animals you can see once you stop moving and relax and are quiet. After like 20 minutes of sitting everything comes back to life around the woods as if you're not there, as long as you're quiet and patient. The squirrels that hid when they say you walking come back out and go about their day with caching food, maybe a deer or a bunch of deer, turkey, coyotes even and foxes, I love it. Sometimes I'll even shoot a squirrel when I see it. But like >>828429
said, I would have some kind of gloves because you never know what is on them or any other wild animal.
>>
File: mthsnt.png (143KB, 337x363px) Image search: [Google]
mthsnt.png
143KB, 337x363px
>>828693
H
Y
P
E
>>
>>828001

Surely bolt action is the way to go when camping. Get a CZ 452, put a 3-9x40 scope on there and get on with your life.
>>
>>828576
Why don't they they just make one board already?
>>
File: 1470177220974.jpg (27KB, 636x636px) Image search: [Google]
1470177220974.jpg
27KB, 636x636px
>>828911
That would be a dope board, hunting / gunz / bladez and the memes would write themselves.
>>
File: ak.jpg (319KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
ak.jpg
319KB, 800x533px
>>828568
>>828576

i'm a /k/ transplant to /out/ and i agree.

5.45 is best .22 and AK74 is best .22 raifu

>.220 actual projectile diameter
>>
What is the advantage of a bolt-action? I was planning on buying a 10/22, why are people recommending bolt action?
>>
File: armored road rat remover.jpg (69KB, 449x480px) Image search: [Google]
armored road rat remover.jpg
69KB, 449x480px
>>829124
you can shoot lighter loads that sometimes won't cycle a semi auto, like the cci quiet's i mentioned earlier which are subsonic at ~710 fps. they're not suppressor level quiet but they're not as loud as my gamo .177 springer pellet rifle either. and they carry much more energy than any .22 pellet.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=960

not to mention that bolt action is more involved which can be fun. like driving stick vs automatic, there's something enjoyable about it.

you can take the bolt out easily for convenient cleaning.

if the bolt is obviously open then the gun is easily guaranteed to be safe which can minimize negligent discharges by ignorant users, and since .22's are great learning rifles for new shooters it adds a second layer of confidence. of course the only real safety is between your ears.

there are some hot loads for .22LR out there that i wouldn't want to run all the time out of a semiauto like the cci stingers (1640 fps rated 32 gr), velocitors/vipers (1400+ fps rated 40 gr). if you're going to live on a steady diet of high velocity .22LR then a bolt action will take the abuse. this is really more of an issue of principle than an issue of worrying about tearing up some expensive rifle.

lastly, your ammo will last longer with a bolt action. once you start chewing through .22 on a semi it goes fast. at a whopping 6-7 cents per round nowadays it's not that bad but not that good either, as many of us recall it being much cheaper than that. at the height of the panic a couple years ago i paid 15-18 cents for bulk pack .22LR just to be able to plink, so i can live with 6 cpr now.

the only con i can see right now is that bolt actions cost a bit more, but we're still talking relatively cheap rifles. the CZ455 will cost you over $400 but then again you're getting a CZ which means no american bullshit cheap capitalist low QC junk. for a bit more you get glorious Czechoslovakian quality.
>>
File: smskncker.png (58KB, 243x224px) Image search: [Google]
smskncker.png
58KB, 243x224px
>>829228

nothing beats a nice rabbit shank m8
>>
File: BATONNY.jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
BATONNY.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
>>828012
HAAHA AHAHA
>>
File: marlin 989.jpg (20KB, 1000x262px) Image search: [Google]
marlin 989.jpg
20KB, 1000x262px
M a r l i n m o d e l 6 0
It's a killer .22 rimfire, 18 round tube mag, reliable as reliable gets, semi auto, safety is robust.

I have a 989 with a box mag and it's as solid as they come.

You can get them used for ~$180, worth every dollar, only drawback is its heavy, which can be good if you need to bludgeon something with the wood stock
>>
>>829405

>slow clap

Love this retarded factoid. I blame the faggot known as Steven Fry and his show of retarded factoids for it becoming widespread.

If you eat one food group and neglect all others, of course you'll die eventually. Luckily very few people are that retarded.
>>
>>829472
I really like this post
>>
>>828545
SKSs are good if you get a Chinese model, Avoid the Yugo's they are complete shit.
>>
File: 111018082208_jim-gandy.jpg (6KB, 120x119px) Image search: [Google]
111018082208_jim-gandy.jpg
6KB, 120x119px
>>829405

> hey guys im going to go pick berries
> "yuo can't LIve OFF berries REtarD!!"

lol I hate people like you
>>
>>828168
Holy shit, on what grounds? I'm seriously interested in what could possibly justify banning a 10/22
>>
>>829632

The reason is some fear mongering bullshit, they are wayy overstepping their boundaries and law suits are revving up.
>>
>>829631
>>829472

the discussion started off being about "survival rifles," you know, guns that aren't used except for emergency food getting. In a survival situation you want the ability to hunt more than just rabbits, which is why I recommended a shotgun combination gun to help take birds and provide more nutrition in such a scenario.
>>
File: easty.png (51KB, 166x169px) Image search: [Google]
easty.png
51KB, 166x169px
>>829847

how retarded would you have to be to ignore game that presents itself and take only rabbits in a survival situation?
>>
>>828168
you are incorrect. it is the 25 round mags for the 10/22 platform that are prohibited now. due to them fitting in the "Charger" which is classed as a pistol. also , they are going under the statement that they have always been prohib. If you have BC 25 rd. mags. just pin them to 10.
>>
>>829879

OP hurr, could be incorrect.

all I know is

"If you are in possession of a 22 Long Rifle calibre magazine for 10/22 platform firearms that is not permanently altered, or "pinned" to meet the maximum capacity of a cartridge magazine, as set out in the Regulations, you may be in possession of a prohibited device."
>>
>>829527
> Norinco Paratrooper and Tula laminate pictured

> Norinco SKS-M x2 pic related

I'll keep that in mind, while I keep looking for a Romainian SKS.
>>
>>829405
> yaz cuz Eskimos eat all thier broccoli and stuff
>>
>>829978
If they did, they wouldn't be a race of borderline extinct midgets.
>>
>>828193
You can get cheap 22lr in the UK as well:

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/bsa-martini-action-22-rifles/rifles/863096
>>
>>830217
> broccoli changes genetics
>>
>>828429

>Squirrel call can be made with two coins, look at youtube vids to see how.

This is a trick my dad taught me when I was a kid 40 years ago. He grew up on a farm and they needed to hunt to eat -- he was so poor as a kid just finding 2 quarters was difficult.

He called this "the expensive way to call squirrels."
>>
>>828001

I'm gong to be the heretic here... while a .22 is a great all around gun, if I could only have one gun I would think about getting a lever-action .357 / .38 special.

Yes, it's more expensive but I think the versatility is worth it. With light .38s you can easily take small game, and you can up to a heavy 357 round for larger game and defense purposes.

Plus, if you decide to get a pistol in the future, you only have to carry / stock 1 type of ammo.

I have several .22s and my go-to gun is my Marlin lever action 357, usually shooting light .38 special rounds. If I had to give up all of my guns except one, I would definitely keep my Marlin 357 due to the versatility.
>>
File: image.jpg (607KB, 1818x2544px)
image.jpg
607KB, 1818x2544px
>>
>>829634
>semiautomatic!
>you can conceal it easily!
>scary and polymer!
>killing machine 1000 deaths per second!
>what do you mean it's only .22 and can barely pierce bone?
>>
>>828168
>im canadian and the RCMP have apparently declared Ruger 10-22 to be a prohibited device. r i p

nope

>>829879
>you are incorrect. it is the 25 round mags for the 10/22 platform that are prohibited now. due to them fitting in the "Charger" which is classed as a pistol.

yep
>>
>>829863

what else can you take with 22? squirrels?
>>
>>830249

>implying abundance of food has no role in the growth of an individual or size of a population

>pic related, you
>>
>>830365

If you point it at the cashier you can take everything in the store.
>>
>>830365
Anything smaller than a coyote. Use your imagination, fucktard
>>
>>830645

reddit gold 4 yuo kind gentle sir
>>
>>830645
kekd
>>
.22lr is pretty bad. It has no stopping power, so your fatally wounded game might just run into hide before dying.

.308 winchester is good in the sense it's small enough for capercaillie sized birds and big enough to drop a fucking moose. But maybe a little bit smaller caliber is better for your purposes. And if you want strictly survival weapon, don't get automatical ones. Bolt action rifles are surefire in the sense nothing is going to break them.
>>
>>830523
> implying you're not retarded already
>>
I wouldn't trust a .22 for anything larger than a rabbit.
>>
>>830774

>ad hominem

>why you mad bro?
>>
10/22
>>
>>830840
You're not doing it right.
>>
>>830715
>stopping power
>>
>>828001
I had been thinking about this same thing. the problems with it seem to be related to needing decent ammo to fire properly and it seems this may be partially related to the magazine feed and how you have to hold it when firing. I also looked at the ruger 10/22 takedown and that seemed like a far better choice overall. you can have larger magazines, it feeds better with more general ammo, and it can pack down decently enough. I would get the AGP arms folding stock to put on the 10/22 myself.

>>828168
yeah well someone apparently forgot to mention this to cabela's.
>>
>>828911
Because /k/ is like ten times faster than /out/ they would dominate the whole board
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-08-05-10-41.png (912KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-08-05-10-41.png
912KB, 1080x1920px
Are the air rifles from walmart and good?

Thinking about getting a $50 dollar air rifle, or something in that price range.

Doesn't have to be top tier, but I don't want a cheap fall apart piece of shit.
>>
>>831078

anything below 100$ and you will probably regret it
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.