[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I have a question. My bikes inner tube recently g

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 15547829.jpg (28KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
15547829.jpg
28KB, 450x450px
Hey guys, I have a question.

My bikes inner tube recently got punctured, the one that it happened to was the standard, came with the bike cheapo inner tube so I'd rather not waste time patching it. When I pulled the inner tube off the wheel, I found the measurements "25 / 32 x 622" on there, and when I googled that it told me to look for a 700c inner tube that was 1 - 1.25 inches wide.
I picked one up and draped it over the tire, because its at least an inch or two too long, and a bit too wide. So I'm at a bit of a loss for what it is I'm looking for, as somebody who is new to shopping for bike tires / inner tubes, any help would be very much appreciated as my bike is my transportation to and from work.

http://www.target.com/p/schwinn-men-s-trailway-28-700c-hybrid-bike-bronze/-/A-15547829
>>
>>>/n/ /bqg/

Inertube is usually a bit bigger that's normal. When they inflate they pull the tire outward and seats the tire's bead into the wheel's bead-well
>>
File: salute.jpg (8KB, 193x261px) Image search: [Google]
salute.jpg
8KB, 193x261px
>>827814
ok booboo here's what you do.

>inflate the new tube outside of the bike to get some form
it seems like you got the right size, I checked the link and you should have the right one.
Don't be afraid to let some air out to fit it in, but installing a tube with air is 500% easier than installing a dead one

>AVOID PINCH FLATS

>do you have the right valve
Presta or Schrader? It doesn't say anywhere on the site, just take the old tube with you and make sure you get the same valve.

>is your valve long enough?
this really only applies to Presta, the skinnier, all metal except the cap style valve.

>go on youtube and watch a few tutorials on how to install a tire
I could try to 'splain it all but the video probly does it better.

best of luck homie.
>>
I did inflate it a bit when I got it around the wheel, and there was still some hanging off of it, I also have a bike pump compatible with both valves, the old valves are schrader and the one on the new inner tube was presta. Its too dark now so it'll probably have to wait til morning for me to get a decent picture of what the inner tube looks like around the tire, comparing it to the old one though, its definitely larger if I lie them side by side.
>>
>>827814
there is a whole board for this
>>>/n/
>>
>>827830
Just put the tube in the tire and install the tire, it will work fine, and what you can't see anymore you won't worry about.
>>
>>827830
>>828130
this- just deflate it some, and put it in as best you can and inflate it SLOWLY. That said, you should get the proper valve for that shit.
>>
File: wmpvs1-1.jpg (15KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
wmpvs1-1.jpg
15KB, 450x300px
>>828163
Presta valves are better, he should just get a set of those adapter sleeves for his rims.
>>
Can't find a general on biking but I have some questions and don't want to go to plebbit. I don't plan on using my bike to commute and just plan to do it for some light exercise and get outside once in a while. I legally need a helmet and bike lights. Are these sufficient?

https://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-SW77554-4-Snake-Lights-Black/dp/B00JL4HCHA/ref=sr_1_14?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1470182709&sr=1-14&keywords=Bike+light

https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Helmet-Adjustable-Unconditional-Guarantee/dp/B01A2UNBA8/ref=sr_1_11?s=outdoor-recreation&dd=yDNtPgGDz_8AJrtu53i71Q%2C%2C&ddc_refnmnt=pfod&ie=UTF8&qid=1470182421&sr=1-11&keywords=bike+helmet&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6909334011%2Cp_97%3A11292772011
>>
>>828412
The biking general would be /n/, I think bikes are fine on /out/ too but you'll generally get more answers there.

The lights look like they'll keep you legal, but if I rode a lot at night (which I do) I'd get a better front light (which I did), this is the one I use for general riding around town
https://www.amazon.com/HIAEFIRE-Bicycle-flashlight-batteries-charger/dp/B00WR1XJE4

Also if you're riding a lot, button cells burn out fast, II like lights that are rechargeable or take AA or AAAs.

Still looks like a good deal for the price though & you can always upgrade later.

I can't tell what safety certification the helmet has, but as long as it has one and it fits, it should be fine. The main reason to get a more expensive helmet is ventilation, but that one looks like it has decent vents.
>>
>>827825
Not OP but I just bought new tubes for my bike and they are thinner than the ones a had bought before. They still fit and I can ride by bike up and down my street, but I'm worried that they might pop when I'm riding.

All I do is bike on a street, so the most pressure put on my front tire would be when I'm riding off the ledge of a sidewalk onto the road.

Is using a thinner tube suicide or will it be ok?
>>
>>829190
You'll be fine.

I would often have something like a 2.3" tire up front and 1.8" tire on back. I think a lot of the tubes were supposed to be ~2" max and never had a problem with them blowing. Tire quality and making sure nothing is coming through the rim will do much more to prevent flats than anything.
>>
>>829190
I'm not a cyclist. But I am a tyre fitter. The tube you had before was probably stretched out that's why it was bigger?
>>
File: blinky.jpg (110KB, 896x1500px) Image search: [Google]
blinky.jpg
110KB, 896x1500px
>>828412
>>828619
https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-Blinky-eXtreme-Bicycle/dp/B000KBEH1W/ref=pd_sim_468_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41nlwbFpjdL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR96%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=C37DM4AD507TP41M89MF

Spend a little more and get a light that will last you years instead of weeks. This is the Honda Civic of rear lights- tons of people have them and they work well and are cheap.

IMO rear/tail light is the most important safety gear, above helmets for any situation involving cars. If you're riding safely and slowly, the need for a helmet diminishes. Ride and prepare as if you are invisible to cars.
>>
>>829190
If they didn't pop already you should be fine. Might be slightly more likely to puncture because they're stretched thinner but that's it.

>>829269
Maybe, but bike inner tubes come in different widths to fit different width tires.
>>
>>829287
>IMO rear/tail light is the most important safety gear
Maybe on rural roads (I ride with your pic related in the daytime on country roads). In the city the front light is far more important, and most night accidents are caused by cars turning in front of cyclists, not rear ending them.

When I ride I've noticed that turning cars seem to judge my speed by how bright my headlight is and I get cut off less when I have brighter lights. When I drive I can see lightless bikers in my lane in my headlights (they still piss me off though). OTOH approaching riders with no or mediocre headlights are pretty much invisible in the glare of traffic and city lights. I've almost turned left into a wanna-be bike ninja myself (saw a streetlight glint off his frame at the last second), and I'm always looking out for bikes, most drivers aren't.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.