[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Beekeepers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 20160620_140518.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160620_140518.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Hey all

Any beekeepers here? I live in a suburb outside Toronto, so we can't setup a huge operation, but we just extracted 17L of honey from our two hives (pic related). The honey is so much more fragrant and tasty than the cheap grocery store shit, which I assume is produced from bees that are fed corn syrup.

Post your hives.

Also - is it normal for bumblebees to try and crawl into the front entrance? Is this how depressed bumblebees try to commit suicide or something?
>>
>>827765
Also, the big dark spots are not monstrous entrances, they are sandpaper we glued on to help the bees keep their grip on the waxed wooden boxes.
>>
>>827765
I get my honey from one of two places. If im making a 3 hour trip west of me. Theres a huge place that sells like gallon jugs of honey. The other is these homegrown farm stands that show up on the sides of the road in different places that sell produce and honey.

So no point in me keeping bees.

But good for you. Glad ur enjoying the fruits of their labor.lol
>>
>>827765
I am a beekeeper too since 3 years back. I have 2 big hives and a small one that i created earlier this year. Got about 20liters of honey this year.

Do you have big varroa mite problems in the us? I am in scandinavia.
>>
>>827765

Hey buddy! Novice beekeeper here. Located on a small homestead in Appalachia. This is my first year.

I've taken about 3 gallons of honey from my two hives (conservative this year). It is delicious.

I just split one of my hives yesterday, hoping they make a new queen and get strong before winter.

I see bumblebees try to rob honey from my hive. They will fight with my bees.

>>827991

We have varroa here. Pretty much everybody treats their hives in the late summer or fall.
>>
>>827765
What suburb? Are you setting up a honey stand? If so I might bike out there and get some.
>>
>>827765
Watch out for wasps.
They'll overtake the hive and kill off the bees for their honey.
>>
File: buzzbuzzmothafucka.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
buzzbuzzmothafucka.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
I've been beekeeping for 6 years now, and I love it. I occaisonally teach classes. I pulled 5 1/2 gallons this year from mine.
>>
>>828795

How do you treat for varroa and when?

How cold does it get where you are and how do you prep for winter?
>>
>>827991
We haven't had any pests yet. I'm sure it is bound to happen at some point though.
>>
2 hives here. Based in Ireland
>>
How much initial capital does this cost?

How much yearly for upkeep?

I dislike getting stung, how often do you get stung doing this if you're not being a retard?

Do bees worship you as a god?
>>
>>828821
I live in Kentucky where the temperature can range anywhere from -15°F to 60°F during the winter. I usually treat for varroa in the fall. I just take out a frame at a time and sprinkle powdered sugar all over the bees via flour sifter. It works by making them clean each other where they can't reach on their own, knocking the mites off. No chemicals and no adverse side effects. Try to steer away from things such as apivar and apiguard because they're nerve agents that can cause serious harm to your bees as well as you if your honey gets contaminated.
>>
>>829128
>initial capital
You're probably looking at about $150 per hive starting out. A good suit costs about $100, a smoker about $20 and a hive tool at $10.
>yearly upkeep
About $60 per hive
>dislike getting stung
Don't get bees. You're gonna get stung. They can actually smell fear and think that you are what you're afraid of causing them to sting you. If you take it slow and be gentle with your bees you will rarely get stung though. Your body will also build up a sort of immunity to the stings and you will swell less in the affected area with each sting, as well as feel less pain. That being said, if you get stung like 25+ times in one day it can undo all that and cause you to have severe allergies to bee stings. The only time you should ever consider using an epipen is if you are actually experiencing anaphylaxis and not just freaking out because you got stung 8 times. You could literally make your heart explode. This is why most doctors won't perscribe them unless you have a history of severe allergies.
>do bees worship you
No. If you're rough with them and freak them out every time you get into the hive they'll pick up your natural scent and immediatly take you for an enemy. On the other hand if you are gentle they won't hardly aggrivate you.
>>
>>829404

I mean, I don't loathe getting stung but obviously I don't enjoy it either.

I'm suprised it's so cheap. Once I buy my first house I'll likely try this out since I enjoy gardening as well.

Is it hard for beginners?
Does it take a lot of time to do right?
What is the worst case scenario? The whole hive dies because I go away on vacation?
>>
>>827765
Mine died of CCD. Everyone's hives in the local Bee Keeper's Association had all their hives die from it. I had 6 hives at one time.
>>
>owie i got stung! :C

Get a bee suit. Wear double gloves, velcro/tape cuffs.
>>
>>827765
Barrie or gta?
>>
>>829574
>how hard
Throw em in and let em work. You mostly just need to prep them for winter and treat pests occasionally, other than that they're self sufficient.
>does it take alot of time
Been doing it since I was in 8th grade and I know more than most guys that have done it for 50 years. Its all a matter of how much research you're willing to do. You're gonna lose a couple hives but don't stress it, shit happens.
>worst case scenario
CCD or they decide they're just tired of living there and they swarm. They won't just die out of nowhere.
>>
File: IMG_8541_r.jpg (3MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8541_r.jpg
3MB, 2592x1728px
These are my hives, I don't have a better picture right now and I'm away for a few weeks, had a few problems splitting and making new queens during the first year but now they are starting to produce some honey, it's a lot thicker and tastier than store bought.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.