[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Survival Radio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: 51572-kaito-voyager-box.jpg (5KB, 190x190px) Image search: [Google]
51572-kaito-voyager-box.jpg
5KB, 190x190px
Ausfag here I want to buy a decent survival radio.

I sort of did a quick google search and their a plethora of choices but what i'm looking for is something that is compatibly with Australia.

Some things i'm looking for

>Power sources
Basic AC outlet plug-in
crank
battery
solar panel
Rechargeable battery that can be replaced

>Ports
USB
Micro USB
Aux

I wanna at least be able to charge my phone with it

>Rugged
Splash proof
Dust proof
Long lasting

>Radio
AM and FM frequencies
NOAA weather and Environment alerts for Australia
SAME (specific area message encoding) customized warnings, watches and alerts for your county
Programmable locations

>Extra's
Light
Torch
Display is readable in the dark

Think of this as sort of wish list of features. Like I've found ones that meet these requirements but i'm not sure if the NOAA shit will be compatible with Australia. Think of it as something that will be left in the car in case of an emergency.

Budget ~$100aud
>>
>>827031
Anyone got any experience with this shit? Is it worth it or are they just cheap chinese gimmicks?
>>
File: IMG_20160801_240407923-XL.jpg (62KB, 433x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160801_240407923-XL.jpg
62KB, 433x768px
>>827031
Why not get
>a charger or battery pack that does USB stuff
>a radio with AM/FM/WX
>a torch

then when you lose/break one device, you're not out all those devices.

I don't understand this "Put everything in one box" fad.
I have radios that do radio things really well.
I have a flashlight that does flashlight things really well.

Just seems like the sort of product you're looking for would be designed and marketed towards children wanting a toy and wannabe-tryhards.

>mfw my survival tool is b& in your country
>>
>>827047
I get what your saying. But basically i just want a crank powered radio that can charge phones. The other stuff is more just a redundancy and handy as a back up.

The other stuff i already have.

The idea is you chuck it in the back of your 4wd and forget about it and you can use it as a back up for a back up.

In case something happens like a break down or some shit.

Also its convenient.
>>
>>827071

The only radio you'll get that does even close to all of that is some chink piece of crap that will break in the first 30 seconds.

Spend the largest amount of money you can on a radio. In particular, get something that transmits and is CB capable.

Are you really an Ausfag? Because the stupidity of having a non-transmitting radio in the wide expanse of Australian bush / outback is just stupid.
>>
>>827088
Already got a CB radio and hand helds.

but yeah
>The only radio you'll get that does even close to all of that is some chink piece of crap that will break in the first 30 seconds.

thats sort of what i thought maybe i'll waste my money on something else.

I just thought the crank option to charge a phone is pretty neat if say your car dies or some shit and you need a form of communication.

But it becomes redundant if you have power packs and shit like that.
>>
>>827031
NOAA does alerts for Australia? Would not have guessed that.
>>
>>827097
Thats what i gathered
>>
>>827047
this

get a radio and light that takes 18650 batteries, carry extra 18650 batteries in a power pack that can charge USB devices.

I've been using a Tecsun PL880, does FM/AM/WX/LW/SW and last for days on a single battery.
>>
>>827031
>Budget ~$100aud

Rest in RIP OP. ;____;7
>>
The only radio you need for survival in Australia is a PLB. Press the button and wait.
>>
File: IMG_20150902_202719.jpg (869KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150902_202719.jpg
869KB, 2048x1536px
> wants

Check, check, check, check, check, check.

> Aus

Unknown, it is standard am/fm demidulation.

> SAME

Nope.

Still, iirc far less than $100 USD.
>>
>>827031
>>>/g/
>>
>>827047
>WX
>>827031
>NOAA weather and Environment alerts for Australia

The only thing vaguely similar I'm aware of is this:

http://www.bom.gov.au/marine/radio-sat/marine-weather-hf-radio.shtml

We have ABC territory radio on SW also:
http://www.abc.net.au/reception/radio/shortwave.htm

There is no warning when they switch between day and night frequencies as its all automated.
>>
>>827148
Oh and those weather frequencies are SSB.
>>
>>827031
>Ausfag here
>not killing yourself so you can respawn in a less shitty country

Are you even trying?!
>>
you can get most of that shit in the CCrane survival radio.
>>
>>827128
Fortunately these are inexpensive because they don't last. I've owned 2. But I'll prolly go for 3.
>>
File: 20160802_223348.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160802_223348.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>827031

I also wanted something similar and to do everything it needed it was silly money.

The best I was able to find was this- an Eton Scorpion 2

Before you gush, no it's not all that. Let me tell you what it does and what it doesn't.

It has a fairly effective crank, the gearing system is better than most others of it's type- a solid minute for crank will give you about 4 minutes of the radio. The solar cell if crap, it takes THREE DAMN DAYS to charge up to full. Charging to full from a wall socket takes about 4 hours.

When it's fully charged, you get better than 10 hours of use from it, it has a mad bright torch, gets decent reception pretty much everywhere ( I live on the coast but kick around Snowdonia a lot) and have never had a problem it's semi waterproof IPX4 high vis and has USB charging- don't get too excited though I've opened it up and it has two AA sized rechargeable batteries ( which are replaceable with care) in there, so at best it's under 1000mAh, that's about 1/3 the capacity of a current gen iphone. Don't expect to use it to charge stuff up. weirdly it has a built in bottle opener too.

The biggest turn off is the weight. It's about 300g, 2x the wight of my smartphone. Therein lies the issue. My Samsung Galaxy S7 will run for weeks in low power mode, can be used as radio/torch, has a fuckton more features and is totally submersible to a meter and a half.

In a nutshell, a decent Smartphone outclasses my radio in about every way aside the bottle opener) I keep this in the car Chuckbox now, it's not good for much else. If I'm going fishing up the coast I carry a Baofeng UV-5R, it lets me listen in to the marine bands and listen to FM radio while it scans.

>TL:DR 'survival radios' are crap, you're better with a modern smartphone for long trips or a Baofeng UV-5R for short ones
>>
>>828309
> i bought a crappy radio therefore assuming

2/10 for being judgemental
7/10 for oc and white
>>
>>828309

i kinda see the point here. for the money you could buy a small aa battery radio, with a couple of packs of batteries, and a keep em all in a ziploc bag for like $10

the radio this guys has was ranked 2nd in a 10 radio line up

http://www.toptenreviews.com/outdoor/camping/best-crank-radios/eton-scorpion-review/

and is still way overpriced for what it does.
>>
>>829058
good point
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.