[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

File: 31379-1301141209301886969346.jpg (105KB, 1450x719px) Image search: [Google]
31379-1301141209301886969346.jpg
105KB, 1450x719px
newfag here, been taking day hikes for weight loss and shit and been considering overnight camping/weekend whatnot. total beta so looking for single person cuz no friends/grill.

i'm midwest so venting for heat is a plus but also something for snow and cold weather if the mood strikes. i've never bought a tent so i could use some advice. i'm also pretty tall at 6'5"
>>
>>826876
2 person tent

Or be a hammock fag
>>
>>826877

better insulation or because of my size?
>>
>>826880
Even regular sized people often find single person tents uncomfortable. And two normal people should get a 3-person. Hammock will be nice for the heat if you like that sort of thing.
>>
>>826882

i'd prefer tents. have you any recommendations for a nice first purchase 2-person tent?
>>
>>826889
Marmot, Kelty, even Coleman or a store brand tent if you want to save money and don't mind the weight. You have an REI or similar outfitter nearby? Really depends on what you are willing to spend and how much you want to carry.
>>
>>826889
And you also have to decide if you really want one for the winter. There are a ton of 3-season tents to choose from and it will be a little jump if you want to go with the 4-season.

Also, this board is slow so might want to chill and watch the thread for a few days before buying anything.

The one nice thing about outdoor gear is that everybody reviews their purchases so it isn't hard to tell when something has a flaw.
>>
>>826898

i have an REI, a local store called Erehwon and a bass pro shop in my area. Erehwon is typically overpriced because of the area i'm in and doesn't have a great tent selection. my current budget for tent is around $150-200.

>>826900

if there's a price hike in 4-season tents, i'd go with a summer/fall tent. i want to dive into weekend camping but given the current season i wanna make sure this is something i try before i go balls deep. i'm taking my time and reviewing each selection as i find ones that suit my needs.
>>
>>826911
3-season and 4-season tents are misnomers. A 3-season tent is great year round unless you are in an a very exposed area, like a tundra or above the tree line in the winter.

4-season tents are pretty poor for year round use. They are built mainly for winter and are therefore heavier and allow less venting. In the summer this means you will likely wake up damp due to condensation. 4-season tents are also generally more expensive.

Unless you plan on doing some serious mountaineering then a 4-season tent is not needed. It definitely shouldn't be you first tent.
>>
>>826911
You should buy the 2 person tent I have on Ebay! It's an REI one.

It's 8 lbs so a bit heavy if you're not a car camper, though.
>>
>>826918

link?
>>
>>826917

yes, i think a 3-season tent will suit my needs rather well. i mentioned above i'm in the midwest, but i'm in the planning mode for moving towards west colorado in Oct/Nov this year. training days atm, if you'd like to call it that.
>>
>>826923
I'm flexible on the price btw.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172290508766?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
>>
>>826876
6'3" here.
Extensive camping experience.
I used to backpack camp a lot.
Winter, summer, solo, with friends, etc...
My most used tent was a Eureka Apex I believe it was called. Great tent. Fairly light, well made and durable. I'm not a gearfag but IMO a warm bag, comfortable pack and great ground pad are way more important than the tent.
I have been cold before at night. Never again. I have been uncomfortable with a shitty sleeping pad. Never again. Never really hike-camped more than 20 miles/day, but if you plan on even hiking in a couple miles, buy the best bag you can afford. For me, that has been Deuter. I own 3 different packs/sizes from them. If I have a rifle with me, I use my Erberlestock.
Back to tents, my Eureka was a 3 person that I used alone, even with hiking with friends. Used it with dogs and girls as well. Tight fit, but OK.
Married now, have a small kid, exclusively car camp with a comphy 6 person tent, cots or air mattress now.
Have fun.
>>
>>826923
Do you really want an 8 lbs tent? REI also makes a 2-man that weighs under half that. The quarterdome, which is a pretty decent tent if you can get one cheap at one of their garage sales.

>>826927
Fuck, that looks like everything you need for a depressing solo weekend.
>>
>>826876
Op why not buy op pic? Looks great!

Byw, for my one man I love my Eureka! Backcountry 1. Very roomy and less than your budget ceiling.

Use what's left and buy the super cushy Big Agnes insulated Q-core pad. You will love sleeping on that!
>>
>>826927

while it looks like a good size and no doubt has its uses for car camping, i'll be moving around a lot and i'd like something built light-weight and short set-up time. i also will be trying not to use a car to get to my destination, so i'm limited to what i've got on my back. thanks for linking though! it doesn't suit my needs but you might get another interested buyer from this thread.

>>826931

thanks for the reply, a tent right now is my first purchase of the 3, being tent/bag/pad. i'm spending a week or so reviewing and selecting the tent i'd need first, and will be moving on to the other 2 very shortly. the week review is more of a budgeting thing, limiting my purchases a week or so apart to minimize financial instability i guess you might call it.
>>
>>826937

desu i just googled single person tent and used one of the images for the OP. i posted too soon and since have been browsing sticky links for tents
>>
>>826938
Yup no worries, I figured it's too heavy for most people here.
>>
>>826943

OP here, been eyeballing these 2 since i started thread. comments?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/oex-bandicoot-ii-2-man-semi-geodesic-tent-p360611
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-tempest-200-2-berth-tent-p139965
>>
>>826945
>http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-tempest-200-2-berth-tent-p139965

I see you're from the UK. I am in the same situation as you, I am looking at the Coleman Cobra, the Vango Soul 200 and another Eurohike one.

Looking at the ones you're eyeballing it looks like you have a higher budget than me.
>>
hammockfag X poorfag here

I'm going on a 3 cycling trip with some friends and I realized that my hammock setup wouldn't fare now as the place we will be staying at has very little amount of trees suitable for hanging. And I need a tent anyway..

So I'm looking at two cheap Quechua tents.
One is 200 cm x 180 cm with no separate storage areas and one door, and the other one is 200 cm x 120 cm with two doors and two storage areas.

Which one would be better for two persons with two 40-50 l bags?

(I'm kinda convinced for the smaller one with the separate storage space and two doors as I have slept in a tent in which I had to put my things next to my feet and the space was barely enough.)

Tents in question:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-3-tent-3-man-green-id_8322006.html

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-2-tent-2-man-blue-id_8347889.html
>>
File: Do-not-buy-this-tent.jpg (249KB, 1450x719px) Image search: [Google]
Do-not-buy-this-tent.jpg
249KB, 1450x719px
>>
I'm 6'5" & love my REI Half Dome Plus.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Snugpak-Ionosphere-Person-Olive-Green/dp/B003U9851E

How about a 1 person like that?
>>
>>827048

OP here, not a britfag. Midwest US, just was linking from the post on board sticky
>>
are khyam any good? I had one for years and like the quick erect system and the poles, am I wrong?
>>
>>827164
Where are you going?
>>
Are you guys taking tarps with your tents to create a sort of living room during rain?

Also, anyone know of a sturdy, lightweight, green, one man tent for my 25 day wild camping trip through the alps?
Budget of up to 300€
>>
So I want to patch up some small holes in my tent. Would regular thread hold up or should I use something else?
>>
Not OP, but I'm a newfag.
I want to get into this sort of thing, but is it weird to do everything alone? I'm self conscious as fuck, and would probably stick to dedicated camping sites to start with, mainly because I have minor paranoia and am less likely to be robbed if others are around.
Would I look weird camping alone?
>>
>>828353

OP here, dude this is why i am buying for myself and hiking by myself. i don't have paranoia or anything like that but if i sat on my ass waiting for my friends to schedule shit when it works for everyone, i'd never go. i'm only just starting to take in the /out/ life and getting my feet wet before i jump in, but if and when my friends decide to tag along, i can be the guy who makes sure everything is accounted for as far as gear, food, clothing, etc etc.

as far as how it looks when you are alone at a public spot, fuck whatever anyone thinks of it. you're doing something you have an interest in, can move at your own pace and can plan everything out perfectly for your itinerary.
>>
>>828435
You arent worried about a gang of cunts finding you and robbing you or something?
>>
>>828443

not particularly. a lot of my hiking sites are just open, unclaimed wilderness, not private property and no real trails going through it
>>
>>828075

I lifted my lazy ass up, went to the local Decathlon and compared them irl.

I came home with the 2+, but it wasn't size which decided it. It was that the 2+ seems to have much better ventilation options and it's marginally lighter as well.

I also checked their higher end models, the forclaz 2 and quickhiker tents, but they are just as heavy and some looked borderline uncomfortable. All that was going for them was that they pack up smaller, as they were designed for backpacking. But I put my tent in my backpack without its cylindrical stuffsack so that is no concern for me.

All in all, I managed to get a 2,7 kg tent for 2 persons + two storage spaces, for ~50usd.
>>
>>828462
I'd be scared shitless of bears. If one starts clawing through your tent ou wouldn't even have time to react.
>>
>>826900
If you own a tent with bendy sticks (as OP posted).
DO NOT put a black towel on the tent for drying in the blistering sun and walk away to the nearest bar, the sticks can melt...
>>
>>828809

no bears in the area
>>
>>826876
I bought this one for like $60, it's fairly light, sets up in less than 5 minutes, and I slept in it with my gf. It was tight but not wholly uncomfortable.

Plus it's available pretty much everywhere including sporting goods places
>>
File: 418KJ3XK66L._SX450_.jpg (13KB, 450x321px) Image search: [Google]
418KJ3XK66L._SX450_.jpg
13KB, 450x321px
>>828943
forgot pic. Eureka single person tent. I'm 6'1 and I had room above my head and below my feet.
>>
>>826876
I just bought this tent as my first buy. Haven't tried it before just felt like my type of tent. Ive only stayed in bigger tents before.

I also bought a backpack and some other things, cause Im like many here, a newfag and I just started with my /out/ings. (desu I haven't even started yet). I live in Sweden so no need for advice where to go. I already live in a forrest area.
BUT I would appreatiate any tips whatsoever that people have in regards to hiking.
>pic related my tent
>>
>>828970
I have the one person version of that, it's a pretty decent tent.
>>
File: 2036.jpg (688KB, 585x4912px) Image search: [Google]
2036.jpg
688KB, 585x4912px
>>828970
So go /out/ and tell us how it is lol weighing in on something and having nothing to add
>>
File: pathfinder.jpg (27KB, 665x660px) Image search: [Google]
pathfinder.jpg
27KB, 665x660px
>>828970
Looks good on paper, haven't tried it, tho.
The only thing I dislike is that it can't stand on its own and has to be pegged down. Waterratings are amazing for the price!

In what regards do you need tips? Food, equipment, tracks...?

Thinking about buying the Wechsel Pathfinder ZG, does anyone have experince with it?
Also, is the ZG worth the extra bucks over the travel?
>>
>>828989
Noice to hear!

>>829005
The tent itself weighs in at 2.2kgs, just FYI :)
>>
File: WCn4HEt.jpg (917KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
WCn4HEt.jpg
917KB, 1920x1280px
>>826945

OP here, from what i can see from link below, the only downside from the vango 200 is it's not very great in strong wind and strong winter weather, as well as some janky guy line knots.

all in all, seems like a solid starter solo tent suiting a guy my height and in my area.
>>
>>829116

forgot link
https://backpackinglight.com/tunnel_tents_2012_vango_tempest/
>>
>>828943
Yo what area were you camping at? US/EU? suitable for solo camping for multi-week camping? (not experienced, just asking for potential long term benefits)
>>
>>829389
Midwestern US. I don't have that kind of experience with it, I've used it for a week at most. It does keep rain out well if you seal it but it's not top of the line by any means. Great for a beginner but probably not for a huge mountain hike. It will probably work for a multi-week camp in the warmer months if the terrain or weather isn't too crazy.
>>
>>826876
Banshee 200 owner here, its a good tent.
It packs pretty small and doesnt weigh a ton, so its pretty good for hiking.
It has a vent in the top and doors in both sides so you can get a throughdraft going, but being pretty small it heats up in minutes in the sun.
The only issue you might have is length, im 6' and i found it was only just long enough if i stretched out.
>>826889
The one in your pic is supposedly a 2 person tent, but you can only realistically fit one in it, i found mine to be a perfect size for me and my gear for a week long trip, assuming your ok for length it will do you and your gear fine for weekend trips, just dont expect to fit anyone else in it if you find someone to go /out/ with
>>
>>828353
you're more likely to be robbed if others are around
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.