[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are folding canoes a gimmick?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: foldak6001.jpg (250KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
foldak6001.jpg
250KB, 600x400px
As a child I used to spend hours on a lake in various small watercraft. My parents recently sold our lakefront cottage a few years back, and along with it my uncle's old canoe. I've recently wanted to get back into canoeing because i miss it so much. As I live in an apartment and drive a small car owning a full-sized canoe would not be practical for me.

I've recently seen these folding/collapsible canoes and I'm wondering if they are any good?

Does anyone have any experience with this type of water vessel?

What's a good price for one?

Are there any reputable brands I should purchase?

or

Are they just as poor a choice as I think they might be?

Please /out/ your opinion is much appreciated
>>
>>826815
Why not just go with a kayak? They are light and you can strap them to the top of any shitbox.

Folding canoe just sounds sketch
>>
videos very related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVtKDxJfZK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnmYQcnw_XQ
>>
>>826818
it's gotta be a canoe. it's just gotta be!

....but, what do you recommend for kayaks?
>>
>>826833
It depends what you want to do. Small lakes, big lakes, or oceans, fishing or just cruising, sit in or sit on, etc.

You can get smaller sit-ins (actually comfy for an adult) around $300-$400, but if you want a larger one for more stability in bigger bodies of water, at least $500. For a sit-on fishing kayak with bells and whistles, think $700-$800. If you go above the bare minumum, you get some storage compartments and places to strap stuff down. And they always say budget $100 more for paddles and a PFD.

I guess they say sit-ons give you more freedom of movement so it is nice for fishing and you stay more dry. I'm assuming sit-ins have a lower center of gravity and maybe a little easer to manuever.

If it's just going to be you, kayak sounds like the way to go. I'm sure you will be able to move a little faster and further in a kayak than a canoe with just you paddling. Plus they are light enough that storage and transport is easy.
>>
Get a inflatable stand up paddle board, you can get them for less than 400 lbs and they weight like 30 pounds and fit in a backpack. It takes around 5 minutes to inflate, they are pretty stable once you get used to them. Your feet will get a little wet and they are hard to paddle while its very windy or if there is a current. You can easily fit it in your apartment/car. It's just another option.

Here is the one I got that's 350 dollars on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/PathFinder-Inflatable-Stand-Paddleboard-Thick/dp/B01G7CSLSM/
>>
>>826841
>>826844
thanks for the recommendations. i was just thinking of a small vessel for use on small lakes. just a basic sit-in will likely do. i'm just worried about strapping it on my old Honda civic.
>>
>>826846
Just spring for the ebay roof rack if you are worried about strapping it straight to the roof. I have seen people do worse though. Especially if you don't get a giant one, they don't weigh much.
>>
>>826815
Some folders are pretty good, people have crossed oceans in folding kayaks and commandos used them in ww2, but they're more expensive, relatively fragile on sharp rocks/coral, and probably don't perform as well as a high end rigid (but the good ones are better than a $400 rotomolded SOT). Get one if you need it for portability or storage but not if you don't.
>>
>>826871
are there any cheap folding boats available? transportation is a huge issue for me
>>
shamless self bump?
>>
>>826913
You can strap a canoe upside on your cars roof. If my idiot friend can strap a 10 foot aluminum John boat upside down with its motor ontop of his sunfire.. You can strap a coanoe to ur roof. Just use pool floaties for padding. And rachet straps.
>>
>>826844
Choose one
>Own a paddleboard
>Not be a faggot hipster
>>
File: portabote17.jpg (52KB, 718x283px) Image search: [Google]
portabote17.jpg
52KB, 718x283px
>>826886
cheap is a relative term..
buy a portabote
straps to your roof no problem
takes a motor and planes well.
the material is very durable.
and you can take friends.
>>
>>826886
Maybe if you get a deal on a used or demo boat. Inflatables are cheaper but even the good ones are wider and therefore slower, and have less cargo space

I made my own folder a while back for something like $200, based on this:
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/00/DM2000/articles/folding/eva.html
>>
>>826991
Hipsters by definition only pretend to do things or only do things for an audience, so actually paddling a paddleboard would explicitly exclude you unless you filmed it and posted a documentary on Vimeo.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.